logo

Zales
Special orders
2. (9 mins ago)
marriott hotel canada
Is it true that you are doing recruitment?
3. (12 mins ago)

Posted:    StaceyD

defective product

Sony Electronics
Maryland
I purchased a Sony Bravia flat screen television (model KDL40S4100) in Novermber 2008. Today, the televison stopped powering up. I contacted Sony Esupport by telephone. I advised the representative that
the tv would cut on, and a second later would shut off. The tv's standby button was flashing red. I was
instructed by the Sony support technician to unplug the TV, and the surge protector for 2 minutes. After the 2 minutes, I was instructed to plug the tv and surge protector back in, and turn on the tv. The televsion had the same result, the standby signal was flashing red. The support tecnician instructed me that the television had an internal problem, and asked when I purchased the television. I advised the techician 1 year 2months ago. I was instructed that the warranty was for 1 year, and that I would be responsible for the repairs.

It just seems odd to me that a television would just stop working in this short period of time (and after the warranty period). This tv was not the primary tv in my household, and was being used the least. I would not recommend this product to anyone, and feel that this product should be added to a recall list.
Comments United States Consumer Electronics
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of Jan, 2010 by   robert gross 0 Votes
Hello StaceyD,
I have a problem in the same time frame. I purchased a kdl-40s4100 on November 28, 2008. It's picture stopped working on January 8, 2010 after 13-1/2 months. I was told the warranty was up by 6 weeks.
I asked if they ever made exceptions for thier customers since it was so close to the warranty period. Thier response was, " the warranty is up".
I'm 52 years old and have bought many products in the past from Sony, including 2 trinatrons. It seems as though Sony has no value for thier loyal customers. Nobody should have to pay nearly $1, 000.00 for a tv that functions for under 14 months.
REMEMBER: A satified customer will tell 10 people, a dissatified customer will tell a hundred.
It's heartbreaking and is not fair in certain situations, I'm sorry for your unreasonable lose.
 24th of Jan, 2010 by   upsetinflorida2 0 Votes
Same problem here. Will go to attorney general and BBB. I will submit your blogs as well.
Time tv purchased was 12-29, 2008 - stopped working January 21, 2010. Something funny going here. By the way, was your tv standby light flashing twice repeatedly after the picture shuts down?? Mine is.
 25th of Feb, 2010 by   Starchamp 0 Votes
Ditto. After researching the problem on the internet, sounded like it was either the A board or G board, so I replaced them both (albeit with used parts), and the problem persisted. Not sure what to do next, guess I'll keep researching.
 19th of May, 2010 by   live2swim 0 Votes
Similar problem here. I bought my Sony Bravia flat screen television (model KDL40S4100) on 1/25/09. Three weeks ago it stopped receiving a signal (the no signal message showed on the screen.) Upon calling the service center and going through the Sony diagnostic protocol, which didn't fix the problem, I was told that it was "probably the tuner" and that my television was no longer under warranty, so I would have to pay all the costs of repair. I rarely watch television, so this television has been turned on maybe 60 times since I bought it. I'm completely disgusted.
 8th of Jun, 2010 by   David C., Chelsea, MA 0 Votes
I purchased a 46 inch Sony Bravia KDL46Z4100, in January, 2009, from Sears on sale for $1, 800.00 form $2, 500.00.

It just crapped out two days ago, June 6, 2010. THAT'S SEVENTEEN FRIGGING MONTHS.

My last set, a Toshiba, which cost about $800.00 in 1992, lasted until I bought the damn Bravia. That's SEVENTEEN YEARS.

I realize that the Toshiba was a regular TV, and not a flat screen, and I know that flat screens don't last nearly as long, but SEVENTEEN MONTHS is ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS.

I will NEVER purchase anything from Sony again. I am disgusted by this company.
 19th of Jun, 2010 by   swtjen01 0 Votes
POSSIBLE SOLUTION: I had this similar problem and I was able to fix it. I just unplugged the tv from the back and left it off for about 5 minutes. I then plugged it back in and turned it on. I saw a message that the time had been reset for a power outtage. After that I tuned to my HDMI and turned on the HDTV cable box and the cable came back on. I then downloaded the new firmware for my tv too.

I hope this helps someone. I thought I was going to freak out. My previous Sony TV lasted 14 years so i was going to be furious if this one died after 16 months.
 22nd of Jun, 2010 by   byrdpoop 0 Votes
My first Sony I purchased in 1985 and it lasted 22yrs. I purchased a Sony Bravia KLV 40U100M in 07'. 8mos after purchasing it the lcd board and another board went bad. They were replaced with used parts. 1yr after that the main board went bad. I was told it will cost 450 to replace it. The 1 HDMI port works so I can hook the cable box to it and use it.
 12th of Aug, 2010 by   J. Galese 0 Votes
Avoid purchasing anything by Sony: Product id poor and service is worse!
 18th of Aug, 2010 by   blackbeard68 0 Votes
We bought our set in 2008 and in May it crapped out with these funny bars appearing on the left side of the screen. Was told by Sony that the TV would be scrapped after they sent a repairmen out to evaluate it. Luckily we bought the extended warranty and they sent us a check, but it took a MONTH before they finally got around to doing it. Pissed off at the service of Sony. I won't buy another Sony product including the PS3 that I wanted. I have since replaced the TCON board and it was not the issue. Going to try to figure this out.
 17th of Sep, 2010 by   laleh2020 0 Votes
Exact the same thing happened to my Sony BRAVIA KDL-40S4100 TV three days ago. I bought it in Dec, 2008. Trusted the brand and didn't see any reason to buy extended warranty. Today the TV repair man told me that the TV is not even repairable. I am so disappointed and for sure my next TV won't be a SONY, and for sure this model had to be re-called.
 4th of Oct, 2010 by   Pappy38 0 Votes
May 23, 2009 I purchased two Sony KDL-40S4100 42inch screens. The first one just completely quit working about 3 months after installed the green on light was the only thin that worked. This tv was covered by warranty the second tv is now past warranty (16 months) and has developed the same problem. This looks like poor quality work on someones part. I paid $868 for each tv and depending on the cost of the repairs will determine if I repair it. Maybe it is time to get the states Attorney General to check Sonys operation out. Will I buy another Sony I don"t think so they are not going to get a chance to kick me twice. Pappy
 11th of Oct, 2010 by   cargirl 0 Votes
KDL40S4100
Purchased 10/27/2008
Left side of the screen is all color bars.
Sony told me to take it to a repair shop. The repair guy is quite far away and said it could cost a little or could cost a lot.
I did not buy an extended warranty due to the name brand.
This TV was purchased at Walmart.
Do they sell defective TV's at Walmart?
I have other TV's that are about 10 years old and they work fine.

I can't believe that a $900.00 Tv did not even last for two years. This happened in September 2010
No more Sony products for me.
 14th of Oct, 2010 by   Pappy38 0 Votes
Well I got the BAD news today on the cost of repairing my 16 month old Sony Bravia KDL-40S4100 over $700 dallors I only Paid $868. Whats wrong with this picture? Buyers beware. No I will not repair it I am going to be a pain to Sonys custiomer service department.
 1st of Nov, 2010 by   macgrubernub 0 Votes
Bought a kdl40s4100 2 years ago for around $900. Now the tv works for 10 minutes and while the audio continues, the video goes into what looks like a screensaver which alternates between solid green, red, blue, and horizontal bar screens. Out of warranty and won't be buying another sony.
 2nd of Nov, 2010 by   katiedear 0 Votes
I bought the Sony KDL-46S4100 in Dec of 08. About 3 months ago the picture or the right side started to slowly double. If I left the tv on for about 10 mins it would fix itself. Over time the wait for it to fix itself got longer and longer. Now the picture is always doubled and jumpy on the right side and I also have 3 horizontal lines that go through the picture. The warranty is up and Sony will do nothing about the issue. The closest Sony repair place is over 100 miles away. Looks like I will be buying another TV and will NEVER buy Sony again!
 16th of Nov, 2010 by   hayesstephen 0 Votes
Much like many previous complaints, it seems that Sony has perfected planned obsolescence... My KDL 40S41000 is failing, and is out of warranty. This Sony product was purchased in August of 2008, and FAILED August 2010. Beyond Belief that a Strong Brand like Sony will not honor defective merchandise. I would not recommend any Sony Product based upon this poor consumer policy.
 29th of Nov, 2010 by   Saintleo100 0 Votes
Bought my Sony Bravia KDL-40S4100 Sept 12.2010. Worked fine until two weeks ago when half of the screen either blacked out or developed multi-colored vertical lines. Called Sony Customer Service. They said the TV was 2 months out of warranty. They gave me a local repair company's number and told me to call them and have them diagnose problem. This cost me $75. The repairman diagnosed the problem as a bad LCD panel with a cost of over $1700 to replace it. Don't forget that this is the repair company that Sony told me to call. After nearly two weeks of complaining to Sony, there final offer was either a discounted TV for $450 or $900 toward repair cost. I paid $880 for the TV last year. I explained to Sont that I was not satisfied. Customer Relations told me that the two options was their final offer and that if I did not take them up they would note in my case file that I was dissatisfied and would close it out. After seeing the many similiar, if not identical, complaints for my model TV, I feel this is not an isolated problem and that Sony manufactured a faulty TV. I also find it odd that if you go to Sony's website, you will see several other Bravia models, not to include mine, that they have extended their warranties to OCt 12, 2012, for bad LCD panels. DO NOT BUY SONY!!!
 11th of Jan, 2011 by   Naguabo 0 Votes
Bought SONY kdl40s4100 from SEARS, Puerto Rico.
Unit is showing a block of vertical lines displayed at the left side of the LCD panel.
These lines are multi-color or mixed-solid colors, covering almost 40% of the picture area. This appears to be a common defect in these units.
My unit is just 18 months old… Definitively, this is the LAST Sony product in my house.
SONY Corporation is aware about this defective product.
ADIOS hasta la vista SONY!!!.
 11th of Jan, 2011 by   Duane Stanford 0 Votes
I have the same problem The "A" Board went bad after just two years of service. Sony won't replace the TV and is offering a small amount toward the $650 repair, even though I bought it direct from them. The equipment came with a one-year warranty that is expired. The TV cost $1000 new so this offer is inadequate. I would recommend not purchasing a Sony based on my experience. It is clearly unreliable.
 19th of Jan, 2011 by   Watsupdoc 0 Votes
I have the same problem with vertical blue lines. Call suppport, no help at all. Asked if they were aware of the problem and the tech said he did not have any information on this.
Sony has a problem and are not owning up to it. Bye bye Sony...

Watsupdoc

Pictures Are Also Used For Romance Scam!

Latest Groups