logo

Just for men hair color
Bad product horrible reactions
2. (2 mins ago)
Award Notification Commission
Letter stating has won prize
3. (5 mins ago)
Ymax Communications Corp
Illegal harassment
4. (21 mins ago)
Toyota / MMT Gearbox
Dishonest Sales Tactics - advertising and selling vehicles equipped with MMT gearbox as Automatic
5. (36 mins ago)
Medi-Zone
False promises

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Sonic Drive In, Georgia Complaints & Reviews - Working for sonic!

Sonic Drive In Contacts & Informations

Sonic Drive In

Posted:    fancy

Working for sonic!

SONIC
Georgia
I will never ever work for this place again! I hated it! Asst. Managers don't even get paid nine dollars if you start off you are only getting around seven dollars if you have been working there for a lets say eight years good luck in getting over 8 dollars! I'm so ill! THey cut car hops pay to 3.15 because "OH THEY MAKE TIPS TO MAKE UP THERE MIN. wage!" NOT TRUE!! mostly in the winter time is that not true!! THE GMS never know what to do at there job yet they are getting paid double what the asst. manager is getting paid, but make the asst. managers do the jobs they are suppose to be doing! THey are always understafed! OR it might just be the way they liked setting me up I always had only 3 people on my shift I was lucky if there was four. Before i quit I would only have me and a cook! YET the customers wonder why it took so long for there food and why it came cold! THere is your reason especially if there were only two people! TWO PEOPLE to take orders that ALWAYS AVERAGE 2 mins to take an order because the people beeped in and don't know what they want, the cook does not know the head set so normally you have one person taking 5 different orders... do the math by the time your finished taking the last order the first order is really late! THen you still have to make the drinks and the Ice cream that takes time and you have to finish make the food and bag the order and get it out! THere is no way that food is going out good and or on time! NO one understands what an Asst. Manager has to do there, the amount of stress we take on!
I'm not here to complain about the customers I'm here for you not to take it out on the car hops or managers, it is not fair how sonic treats there employees, Luckily I had enough sense to leave that horrible place! I don't understand how they have the money to have a sonic bowl for football, but they can't treat there employees like the way they want there store ran. So if you meet a car hop that seems annoyed just understand most likely they are just upset that they are having a ton to do for just 3.15 an hour...I don't know why they are staying for this job, but someone has to do it.
DON'T WORK FOR SONIC!
Comments United States Fast Food Restaurants
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

7th of Feb, 2009 by   Vyatri +2 Votes
I agree with you 100%. I am an ass. manager at sonic in Jacksonville FL. and have been working there from quite some time. My experience with Sonic has ALWAYS been the exact same way, but add sorry (and many) different GMs to the mix.
 23rd of Mar, 2009 by   sonic sucks donkeyd +2 Votes
I completely agree I started 4 years ago with sonic, the supervisor that hired me said he would have me running my own store in a few months. HAHA 4 years later, i have basically quit sonic as a manager and am currently making more money per hour as a cook in a full-service rest. From my experience, I have learned that to truly advance in sonic, your head has to be planted nose first into the bosses rear, and don't ever tell them you cant come in early(stay late, come in on off day, & when you go in to get your check if they are busy you HAVE to help)
so here is my advise, if you get a chance to leave sonic, do it as fast as you can run and don't look back, delete phone numbers, call block everyone, don't ever consider it a "fallback job" it is a dead-end black hole of a job that will eventually turn into the BIGGEST waste of your time-and if you are thinking about working at sonic; go find something else, in fact being a janitor or a trash collector would be better, even a person that picks up horse crap on a track probably enjoys their job better than you would working for sonic
 27th of Aug, 2009 by   SonicEmloyee +1 Votes
Same here same here!!! I work for a sonic in AZ. I have recently been made crew leader. Everything you guys described is exactly the same! We run with three employees at the most per shift (one manager, cook, and one crew member/crew Leader). They have to control "labor-cost" is what they say but the whole reason we are loosing money is because we have 3 people working so it takes longer to get orders out and people drive off! They GM's turn around and get mad at us for not being fast enough when it was them who didn't schedule enough people! Ugh it gets really frustrating.Oh and at the sonic where I work not only did car hop pay get reduced to $3.90, it is also now a REQUIREMENT to wear skates 100% of the time, even if you are working drive thru. On top of that we just changed our uniforms from red to bright neon green. It ridiculous. I am currently looking for a new job and hoping to get one ASAP! Beside the crap you take from the company you also have to deal with rude customers asking telling us...

-"There's too much/too little ice in my drink"
-"It really cost that much"? (Like we control the cost)
-"Where's your dollar menu"? (It's right on the regular menu folks)
-"I thought your drinks were half price" (when they order ice cream at happy hour)
-"What flavors do you have" (seriously?)

or leaving their trash in the stalls or telling us they dont want whip cream after we made it already, or driving away when we repeat your order, or getting mad cuz we upsell (we HAVE to).

Seriously there is way too much stress that goes into working at a fast food restaurant.

-Employee 1 year.
 5th of Feb, 2010 by   It's all so funny! +2 Votes
I have been working at Sonic Drive In for too long now and will agree it is a bottomless pit. I have been on the A Team opening stores in my hometown and in other cities. I have been a manager going on my fifth year with four years prior experience as a cook. I even went before the "Review Board" for the Co-Manager position( That only people promoted from within have to take, meaning if you come from a rival company they don't make you go in front of these pencil pushers who couldn't run a busy lunch shift let alone a 150 dollar hour with only 3 people to test your Sonic Knowledge).

When first becoming a manager I was very enrgetic about it. I really took it seriously and wanted my store to be the best. We were always in the runnings for Sonic Games and rated ourselves as the best. Over the years that feeling slowly left each of us one by one and everyone started leaving one by one. I've seen five different supervisors, five different partners, twenty differnt asst. managers and too many employees to count and know from experience that Sonic does not care about there employees. If you have been to those stupid time wasting meetings they make you go to you know what I mean. I've been basiclly told that the crew are to be worked as hard as possible. Employees can work eight hour shifts and not even be offered a break unless labor gets to high. I've had to work two or three different positions because the supervisor and partner want to save some money and cut crew hours and work managers.

Tip wages for carhops are a joke. Sonic bullies them so bad on this I've heard of carhops who lie about getting tips just so their name doesn't end up on a list saying their not reporting. Raises are a joke. I know of crew members who has only recieved one if any raise their whole Sonic stint, and as far as management goes there is no future. Alot of us only make about a dollar more than crew and unless you happen to luck up and work for a good store with not only good crew and managers but good upper management than your raise will be hard to get too.

They do not care about you no matter how good or by the book you may be. I've seen Sonic gut itself so many times no one has any loalty to anyone. If you look at the numbers not only is Sonic last but it's sells period are down over the last ten years. This value menu isn't just a great idea by the higher ups but a wake up call by a company realizing it's sinking.
 8th of Feb, 2010 by   SONICOHIO 0 Votes
I HAVE READ ALL THE BAD THINGS PEOPLE HAS SAID ABOUT SONIC AND WOW THERE SOOO TRUE AND I'M A EMPLOYEE THERE BUT MINE IS IN OHIO, I REALLY DO HATE MY JOB I REALLY DO THEY DO TREAT US LIKE CRAP THEY DON'T MAKE US TAKE BREAK UNLESS LABAR IS HIGH AND THEY DONT CARE WHAT UR HEALTH IS EVEN THOU IM HAVING A BABY THEY STILL WANT ME TO PUT IN A 100 PERCENT AND I CANT DO IT I CANT DO HAVE THE THE THING I USE TO DO. I GET STRESS OUT OVER THAT DAMN PLACE AND I SEE IT NOT WORTH COMING HOME CRYING AND GETTING MAD AND TAKING IT OUT ON MY LOVE ONES U KNOW AND THERE BEEN TIME I HAVE BUSTED MY BUTT AND PLUS COVER OTHER PEOPLE HOURS AND STILL NEVER GOT A THANK YOU OR A FREE MEAL OUT OF IT AND NOW DAYS IF U GET A MYSTERY SHOP U GET SOMETHING WRONG U GET FRIED OVER IT IT CRAZY THEY RUN SONIC LIKE A BOOTCAMP IT NOT A BOOTCAMP I THOUGH U WHERE ALOUD TO HAVE FUN A AT WORK PLACE BUT STILL DO UR JOB THERE BUT IT WHATEVER IM TRYING TO GET THE BALLS AND LEAVE THERE SOON BUT IDK WITH A BABY ON THE WAY WHAT I SHOULD DO
 31st of Mar, 2010 by   d.kucko -1 Votes
I have been working for Sonic for three years now, I think it has been a great experience because being a crew member is not a hard job at all. Really it's plain and simple, you either listen to the direction given and do the job the way it needs to be done, or find another job. This is a great job for anyone that needs to make money because I have made some major money doing this. Doing this job I understand that hours can be late and some people may not get the break they deserve. This is a job like no other, think about the people that have to work in much nicer companies and have better jobs they would rarely ever or never get any breaks or they work long hours, that is how a job is suppose to function. I have noticed that the benefits are nice, you have to admit that you get discounts on food, I thought everyone would be happy about that. What about the people that you could meet, there are some nice people that would be great to become friends with even though you are working in the food industry.

I hope from my advice that you would suck it up, and stop being baby, doing a job at SONIC is really not that hard to complete everyday. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN GET A LIFE BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THE WORLD IS TODAY AND YOU CAN'T CHANGE IT!!!
 22nd of Apr, 2010 by   oh yeah +2 Votes
i agree with these people. sonic in kennesaw is the worst place to work. the supervisor son and i became asst. mgr. at the same time. he got a raise to 10.00 dollar an hour. i got .50 cent raise. while his was almost 3.00 an hour. later sexually harassed another mgr there. all what happened was he was moved to another store. and then fire me because i make the workers do there job. i did not play favorites with the workers. toni was written up for the 2nd time while her friend was fired. they took there problems out on me cause i did not get in trouble. the video reveled i was doing my job. then the store mgr goes in with other workers to get me fired. workers called out for smoking crack and going to jail. nothing is done to them. if u kiss ass and let people walk all over you, you can keep a job there.
 26th of Apr, 2010 by   angryperson321 0 Votes
I Hate FucKin SonIc! I Use To Work there Just RecentLy Like 2 weeks ago i quit..yup, and I quit bc these4 stupid ass employee who happens to be the manager, the manager husband, the manager husband little brother and his girlfriend. I had problem with the manager husband little brother, he harrassed me and i just left it. They dont do shit they would just let us carhopper do everything, and they would just walk out and smoke or go to the restroom and smoke some weed. They order meals and dont pay for it they dont clock theseleves out and just keep there hours. They Talk alot of shit about other employees and r rude to customers. They r just plain fuck up in the head. and i had problem with one of them now they all got invovled and now they r messing with my hours, i quit on the 12 of april and i was suppose to get at least 6 day paycheck, but only got 29 buck pay. I tried to work it out but they just lied about me...When i quit i reported them to omad i think his name and he didnt do a damn thing so im pist off and dont know whjat to do or who to go to to get this shit straight i have so many story about these ass hole..so yeah that it
 24th of Jun, 2010 by   bmichelea +1 Votes
Okay SONICOHIO Im so flipping glad that your job is great, but don't go telling people that they need to suck it up and deal, because you apparently haven't seen the real Sonic. I'm a crew leader and before I even got that I was working 40+ hours and I'm still in high school during last summer my schedule was 2-12 6 days a week. And they would get mad when i needed any days off. I have seen my carhops be sexual harassed and nothing is done. I have seen them fire great managers for no reason. So take your little comments about us people who are tired of Sonic and shove them. I hate Sonic. They really need to change.
 6th of Aug, 2010 by   bookworm91 0 Votes
I worked at Sonic about a year ago, and it almost killed me. I was waking up at 5 am to get to school because I had class at 7am. Class ended about 3 in the afternoon and I had to rush home to get in my glamorous uniform and haul ass to work at 5. I told my manager repeatedly that I had school at 7 and didn't want to work late. They didn't seem to give a shit if I didn't get more than 5 hours of sleep. I closed at nights and didn't get home till about 2 in the morning. Luckily I only had class on MWF, but still about 4-5 nights a week I got about 3 hrs of sleep. I didn't do good in school that semester because I ended up sleeping in class most of the time.

The GM was a horrible man. He was tall and had a military haircut and a bad attitude that had me wanting to ask if he had a porcupine stuck up his ass. Although he was probably just depressed that he was the manager of friggen Sonic.

My enslavement there ended when I called in sick ONE day out of the 6 months I was there. Sorry I didn't want to give people Hepatitis B. Good riddens to Sonic. I fart in your general direction!
 18th of Nov, 2010 by   ohbrong 0 Votes
i completely agree!
i have been an assi. manager, manager, i've opened stores on a-team and even been an a team leader and i still get shit on. right now im the GM. i do my job and dont push shit on my ass managers or anyone below me. they are only paying me $13 an hour for my GM position. its complete bullshit
 23rd of Nov, 2010 by   Matt4327 +1 Votes
Hi everyone, I have over 17 years experience at Sonic so maybe I can help some of you out. First, I agree that as of right now Sonic is perhaps the worst of all the quick service places to be. Low pay, understaffing and lazy or incompetent G.M's has become the rule more than the exception.
I have opened more stores than I can remember, I have been to the Sonic Games (3rd) been a partner and supervised ten stores. Yet I quit why?? Save some compassion for those lazy G.M.'s they don't all get paid that well. If the store is not doing over 100k a monthe their bonus isn't much and if they are the requirements to make bonus will screw you over. On top of that most work 7 days a week 75-90 hrs. They get called in all the time and most old timers have been divorced at least once.
Sonic is not what is once was. When I started in 94 it was a company that cared for it's people deeply. That loyality was returned byy all and we grew that company into what it is today. Sadly it's downfall is summed up in one word, GREED. The Franchisee's have made millions, mostly on the real estate the stores sit on, and all they care about is getting more money. I got out and will never go back. Whats Sonic's future?? Well when you loose 17 year vets like me and have to replace them with assistants that make 8 bucks an hour you tell me.
Good Luck to Sonic and my advice GET OUT NOW.
 23rd of Dec, 2010 by   fuckinAsonic +1 Votes
It's sad but true, I've worked for sonic 4 years now and was on the fast track towards management (or Crew Leader as it's now called in our group...and the old Crew Leader position is eliminated) I was promoted in the first 9 months of working and then things came to a stand still. I worked holidays, my birthday, my childs birthday, all because I was told that my request, the ones I submitted more than 2 weeks beforehand, was not going to work out. But I grinned and beared it because a job is a job. I've trained two of the managers we now have, and trained them damn well. I'm constantly hearing from customers and fellow employees how fast I work and it's ridiculous how much effort I put into my job. Sonic Industries really has taken a down turn in the last few years. It makes me sick seeing these dedicated carhops working their asses off for nothing, being treated like crap by veteran carhops that are now working drive thru as well as making all carhop drinks because those dedicated carhops? Yea, they don't go behind the counter they stand and scan. And if they want to help they can't, they are not trained to do so. I want so badly for Sonic to not be this bad, I try so hard to defend it but as i near my 5th year it becomes harder and harder. Oh, and to the asshole that said to "suck it up" ..really? jesus christ. thanks
 9th of Jan, 2011 by   KChaos 0 Votes
I ordered a toaster sandwich with sausage. A few hours later i woke up from my sleep feeling so sick. i was just waiting to throw up and eventually after 3 hours of feeling disgusting in my bed i did. The wasnt the end of it though. I threw up while walking in the front yard too and i felt nauseated the whole day. My whole digestive tract was messed up for about 3-4 days. And the last thing i ate before it all happened was that stupid sandwich. I think something wasnt cooked right.
 5th of Feb, 2011 by   oklahomasonicgirl 0 Votes
omg...yeah sonic has labor requirements they have to meet ~! duh...if you own a resturaunt you wont be able to pay 10 people by the hour if your not getting enough bussiness to cover the cost! plus the bills and stuff! thats just common sense! And if you were doing your job and striving to be better rather than bitching about it...you would move up and you would get a raise and you would get more customers and therefore bigger crews bc you could/can afford it! If you have respect for you leaders and management they will have respect for you so maybe if your attitude changes and things your relationships and working enviroments will be better at work too! I am currently training to get my own store and have worked at sonic for 10 yrs and while some of the stuff may be true in its own way...most of it has been twisted my anger and self pity...look at the glass half full not half empty...nothing is ever going to be perfect but it seems to me if your attitude on here is any reflection of your attitude at work then its good that your quiting bc it seems that your a big part of the problem! Sonic is a great company to work for and is advancing and expanding every day! we are improving the fine tunning our skills and we will be Best one day...and we dont need ppl like this to drag us down!
 11th of Apr, 2011 by   sonic man 0 Votes
It's not that bad pussys.
 26th of May, 2011 by   GraceHollie1209 0 Votes
I have worked at sonic for almost a year now and I get treated like crap... my general manager is NOT capable of running a store... We are always under stocked on stuff we need and over stocked on things we do not use as much. This was my first job and honestly I feel that if you can work at sonic you can work anywhere. This is a horrible place to work. I get minimum wage, the one time anyone got a raise was my birthday month and I turned 18. They considered my "raise" getting minimum wage from minors to adults... which is 7.40 an hour... Meanwhile, I am still in highschool and they schedule me DURING school!!! This has happened more than once. And they tried to write me up!!! That is bullshit... They also schedule me on my one day a week that I take off for personal reasons and also try to write me up even though I put it on my availability 10 months ago! My managers are complete bipolar morons!!! They all hate me... and want me to quit... but I am not going to... just to make them suffer... Oh and I cut my finger on cardboard badly, and I did not get an incident report and I also got Dr. Pepper in my eyes because the box of syrup dropped off the rack and it bursted and I also did not get an incident report and now I have an infection in my eye. I do NOT appreciate Sonic at all or the way I have been treated. And I don't know who I need to talk to about getting my eye appointment paid for because my insurance won't cover it... HELP???
 9th of Apr, 2012 by   sammy12123 0 Votes
Completely agree! I work at a sonic in TX, holy shit we get payed nothing.
I have been a carhop for a year and we get paid 3.13 an hour. OKAY I WOULD BE OKAY WITH THIS, because of tips and ect, but the thing is they make us do so much more than take out orders.
We have to take out orders
Answer speaker
Clean, Clean, CLEAN all the fn time
Make drinks
Fix orders
Let us not mention "I want ten bags of ice" THAT IS MANUAL LABOR, I AM NOT GETTING PAID ENOUGH FOR THAT.
Sorry, our GM complains about us not working hard and us wanting to take a break and sit down, maybe if I wasn't getting paid three flipping dollars an hour I would feel different. The tips are good when their good, but when they are bad they are so bad. Also, a one dollar tip is not enough to put up with a completely rude incompetent customer.
The only reason I stay is because my Sonic has really cool people working at it.
 28th of Apr, 2012 by   never work here 0 Votes
Today was my last day at sonic. I'm 16 and they had me work 9 hours today with no breaks or "lunch" a few weeks ago they had me work 8.5 hours after school! I didn't get home til midnight and I had school the next day and they knew this. Basically when you work for sonic, your promised no breaks and when you try(as in just stand there) they yell at you and tell you to start stockin stuff or as one of my managers says, "If you got time for leaning, you got time for cleaning" as they sit there and don't do anything. So glad it was my last day and I went with the other job I got.
 14th of Jul, 2012 by   AHackAttack 0 Votes
I totally agree. Sonic is one of the worst places to be employed. I've been working in an Arizona store since September of 2011, and things have not improved. They told me that we were losing our wages so that we could improve our half times, as we would have more people on. But the labor is still the same. We do the same amount of work for less pay. I work in a city infested with poor people who can't afford to tip. That's understandable, everyone goes through hard times. But if we don't make that much money, it's always our fault, no matter what. People purchase many junior burgers on Sunday so they can feed their families, not so they can tip. My manager, who constantly argues with the guest (the customer is ALWAYS RIGHT) claims that she can make $15 in drive-thru in like two hours. Impossible. She almost always puts me in drive-thru, and yells at me when I don't expedite. I don't sit there and twiddle my thumbs, people. I actually do many things over there, but it doesn't matter. It's never enough. Many people would say that Sonic employees hate their jobs because they are lazy, but I am not lazy when it comes to my job. I believe these are legitimate complaints. Whoever said that the company under staffs for shifts is completely correct. That makes the job significantly more stressful, putting more stress on the carhops and managers who have to stay in and take many orders. Also, safety is a big issue. One girl in our store fell and hurt her leg. I went to school with this girl, and I was badgered a few times about if she was walking or not, as if I was expected to spy on her because of a worker's comp case. I am highly dissatisfied with this store, and I would highly suggest teenagers looking for a job go somewhere else, like McDonald's or Burger King, or a place where you don't have to skate quickly over water, grease, and debris outside.

Consumer Tips: Going Out Of Network