logo

Quality Business Planning
Invester funding scam
5. (54 mins ago)
Speeddate.com
SCAM billing did not subscribe to it

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Sonic Drive In Complaints & Reviews - Very unprofessional manager behavior

Sonic Drive In Contacts & Informations

Sonic Drive In

Posted:    lisa allen

Very unprofessional manager behavior

I went to sonic the other day by my house and i go there often because my kids love their drinks. As i was ordering i look in and see one of the managers canoodling with one of the carhops. Well i happen to know that girl and she's only 17 and i know he's way above her age limit plus its very unprofessional and i can't believe that the general manager is allowing a 20 something manager who is supossed to set an example for the other employees mess around with another employee who is underage.

Comments United States Fast Food Restaurants
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

11th of Nov, 2007 by   Chyna Nettles 0 Votes
Yeah, I work at a sonic. That is actually happening at my work too. The girl just turned 18 and he is 25!
 1st of Dec, 2007 by   raekelli aggison 0 Votes
hey i am reporting that sonic in opelousas louisiana refuse service for some customers. i was at work on tonight and one of my friends came to order. and they refused her service. everytime she tried to order they would cleaer her order and go to another station. i think that, that was bad customers service. the manager kept telling the employers jennfier hawkins to refuse her service. jennifer kept cutting her off. since i been working at sonic i have seen a lot of this happen. not only to someone i know but to other people i do not know. the manager yoshonda owens is so rude, when tey mess up people order so dont like to refix it the way they supposed to be or anything. she is just a big snob. this all happen in opelousas louisiana...
 8th of Dec, 2007 by   lou benz 0 Votes
Sonic has the worst service in Houston Texas. Ive never see an adult working there. The drive thru service is a joke too. Very unprofessional and nasty burgers.
 13th of Dec, 2007 by   E. Willing +1 Votes
I ordered burgers for my wife and I, her burger was ordered with no onions due to a serious food allergy. When we got the order both of us were so hungry we just started to eat. After several bites my wife discovered that her burger had onions on it. I asked to see the manager, out come a college age female with an attitude. I explained my position and that the food was ordered specifically with no onions due to a food allergy, we could very easily end up in the hospital. Her response was unprofessional, uncaring and I wish I could find her district manager because this individual did not have a clue as to the seriousness of the situation. This happened December 12,2007 at the Sonic in Florence, Ms. My wife did have a reaction to the onions and sufferred throughout the night and the following day. WAY TO GO SONIC !!! TEACH YOUR STAFF THAT PEOPLE DO HAVE FOOD ALLERGIES AND MUCH MORE CARE SHOULD BE TAKEN TO INSURE THIS IS NOT REPEATED !!!!!!
 23rd of Dec, 2007 by   greg harris -1 Votes
Yes sonic should have not put onions on your wifes burger, but they are only human they make mistakes and if your wife has a serious food allergy shouldnt she have enough sense to check her food before she starts shoveling it in her mouth it doesnt matter how hungery you are.
 26th of Mar, 2008 by   Sharon Meines +1 Votes
I love Sonic burgers, burritos, tater tots and limeades. I love onion rings, but I will never, ever eat another one at Sonic. I hate, loathe and despise sugar (can you believe it, sugar??!?) in the batter. What's the point? If someone thought sugar enhanced the flavor, they were wrong. I bought some for my husband and me. My husband is diabetic and getting the onion rings was supposed to be a big treat. It obviously turned out to be more trick than treat! The next burger and onion rings I have will be at Fuddrucker's, Purdy's or Jake's.
 7th of May, 2008 by   jessica benfield -2 Votes
ok for one not all sonics do that. and for who ever said that a floor manager was flirting with i 17 year old is stuped. most sonic workers are cool with each other. and its a big family i love all the people i work with. we all work hard to get things up on time if you have a problem dont go there any more.
 26th of Jul, 2008 by   Neena 0 Votes
I used to work in the Sonic in Northeast El Paso. The manager was very unprofessional, he'd use ever swear word in the book to get us to work, but when the people who came in to check on the restraunt to see how things were going, he'd tell everyone to not say a word and he would act differently, no swear words. He was very weird and rude, he also had 7 assistant managers, and most were teens. It was rediculous.
 17th of Feb, 2009 by   tammy foster 0 Votes
we order food from sonic across the street from us in wichita ks and 2 night our food was very cold and they gave us the wrong order, and the night manager is very very rud to people. and when we try to call in it take's us 30 mins before they pick up the phone...they was even rud to my niece and she's only 12 years old. this has been going on every sence july of 2008 and im really sick of it...it's at #3137 store.. it's only the night manager .
 22nd of Feb, 2009 by   DHB 0 Votes
@ Tammy: I do apologize for our brand with you receiving the incorrect order. That type of situation should be fixed immediately and without question of the customer. In addition, even receiving the incorrect order should not warrant your receiving cold food. It sounds as though the Drive-In you visited is very unprofessional. In the many years that i have been around Sonic Drive-Ins I have seen many of employees not taking things seriously and performing well at their jobs.

The night managers at the Drive-In's i have been in quite often behave that way. Having been in that position once, I will say that things are a little different at night at a Sonic and things do get crazy inside sometimes. At night, it seems that things get even more busy than they do during the day. In addition to additional business, the night manager usually has to put up with more. The night manager typically receives a store which has been left completely dirty and unstocked from the day shift. In addition, he/she also usually has a handful of high school/college age employees who care about no one other than themselves and don't perform their job at all.

However, they should still be running the Drive-In in a very professional manner. As far as the phone pickup goes, it is usually very busy at night and hard to hear or get to the phone. It is not something I approve of happening, but it does. All I know to do is to tell you to keep trying to get through to them.

A word of advice to all here: If you receive a faulty order, bad service, or have to deal with a cocky manager with a horrible attitude towards you or your family this is what you should do. Simply stop conversation with the employee or manager of the Drive-In. After cutting off communication you should immediately call 1-800-OK-SONIC and report the Drive-In to the corporate office. They will then send someone from the corporate office to handle the complaint. The corporate office does not put up with this type of behavior against their brand. They have been known to strip a store of all its franchising rights and they can no longer operate if enough complaints are filed against them.

Furthermore, if you are in the Mississippi, Arkansas or Louisiana area or at the new store in Greencastle, IN, I ask you to take a different approach to bad service/food. Call the head of the chain of those drive ins at 662-453-0133 and ask for Ricky. Give him a detailed account of what happened and where you were when it did happen. If it is one of his stores, he will make a surprise visit on them and fire anyone who was associated with the incident after receiving a full account of what happened. I personally know this man and have worked for him for many years. The customer is the most important thing in his business. You will always come first.
 17th of Mar, 2009 by   gomathi 0 Votes
no man is perfect only training is lacking in this case other wise the quality is good ... since customer are our king pins should not show our attitude
 10th of Jan, 2010 by   mendygale78 0 Votes
You all need to get a life! Most of the so called Sonic assistant managers make about $7.00 an hour and you are very quick to pick them apart. Everyone makes mistakes and it is how we as customers respond to their mistakes that shows our true character. Think twice before you start to rip into a college or high school manager and think about how you were at that age. These kids are merely trying to find their way in life and making a lot of mistakes in the process! It is our responsibility as adults to take that into account. If you have a major problem with the way you were treated every Sonic Drive In in the country has the appropriate phone numbers to the owners or upper management for the customers convenience. Also many Sonic Drive Ins have cameras in their location and the staff and management is watched for inappropriate behavior. Just because you think you know what's going on doesn't mean you do. My husband and I were managers of a Sonic Drive In and you need to get your facts straight before you pass judgement.
 12th of Jul, 2010 by   luvbug23416 0 Votes
Me and my husband went to sonics to get ice cream because all the other food is bad. The person at the drive thru is not paying attention, we get around the corner and he busy on his cell phone. Order was not all there. My son also works at sonic and the other night they were short on help. He was busy doing other things at work and another co worker took some of his tickets...so they made my son pay them $40. What kind of mess is that? Just thought I let everyone know, don't work to sonic. They don't tell you that when you get hired.
 13th of Jul, 2010 by   concerned parent too 0 Votes
I have had similar experiences with the sonic in jasper, tn. My hamburger tasted like pure salt. My child also works there and and the managers are crap, she has had to pay on shortage on her drawer cause they put more than one person on it without counting out and my child has had larangitis for the past 3 days and they've put her on drive thru therfore having the customers and co-workers to make fun of her she has come home crying because she's been humilitated. I have tried everything to get corporate's number and can't locate it. any help would be appreciated. And I don't think it's right for a whole family to be managers at one place when it is a corporate owned sonic.
 11th of Aug, 2010 by   Denise Painter 0 Votes
We just left the Sonic in Easley, SC. We've had problems in the past with Sonic playing with the clock in order to close early or get out of pricing drinks at happy hour prices, but not at this location. Tonight we pulled up, it was around 10:30 p.m., all of the signage was on, all of the neon signs were still on, canopy lights were still on, people in the dining area, cars in the slots with customers in them. So we decide after about five minutes to get out of the car and sit in the dining area, we are out there about another five minutes and decide on our order. I walk up to the menu board (which had busted plastic on it), punch the button and wait. After a couple of minutes this giggly little girl voice says "Sorry, we're closed!". I couldn't believe it, after all, these people are running commercials talking about how great it is late, etc. so I said "Excuse me?". She came back and said "Sorry, we closed at 10:30 p.m.!" like she was imparting the news that I had won a new car. I looked around at this restaurant that was lit up brighter than Vegas, and said "Are you sure? Maybe you should cut some lights out next time." Her flip response was "We sure will!".

As we were leaving we couldn't find the Sonic Customer Service Number (866-OK-SONIC) on any of the menu boards or posters like it used to be, and could find no posted store hours anywhere, including the drive thru. Restaurant and road signage were still lit up when we left so we took pictures. When we got home we called Customer Service and told them about our experience. Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that this restaurant sits in a row with Wendys, A&W, Long John Silvers, Burger King, Ruby Tuesdays, Zaxby's, Chick-Fil-A, Firehouse Subs, Subway, Papa Johns...well, you get the drift. ALL of them were still open. As a matter of fact, the only fast food chain that closes that early around here is Hardees.

Maybe it's a little thing but it seems that anymore every time we visit Sonic it's a little thing...and while I appreciate the sentiments from employees seen above, those little things add up until a customer starts thinking that they should avoid a restaurant because EVERY time they visit there's a problem. Sonic certainly seems to have a problem when it comes to their clock.
 12th of Aug, 2010 by   alisha202 0 Votes
I appreciate people wanting the carhops and everyone else working inside to look professional and all, but in Eldorado KS, in this 106 degree weather I do happen to see everyone wear black dress pants. That is ridiculous, then I see at other Sonics throughout the area wearing nice capris, or reasonable length of shorts. Is it really that bad of management if they won't let them cool down a bit? I hear a lot of complaints about this, but is it too much to ask to change up their uniform a bit?
 25th of Aug, 2010 by   NavyWife89 0 Votes
I live in santee, CA and went to sonic last night for dinner with my cousin. our dinner was really good, we had no complaints about that. we ended up going back just a few minutes later to get some ice cream. i decided to drive through the drive thru so that it would be faster and we didnt plan on staying. as i pull up to the drive thru window and look in, i see a teenage girl working there, "amber" who took her hair out of her ponytail, put it back up, then PUT HER HAND in the ice bucket, pulled some ice out, played with it, DROPPED THE ICE BACK IN THE ICE BUCKET, then playfully threw some at her co-worker. WTF?! i was so disgusted to see that kind of behavior inside a restaurant, fast food or not! i also noticed that the ice machine next to the window had an ice scoop in it, that stayed there. that is so un sanitary to keep the scoop that EVERYONE touches inside that ice machine where bacteria will build. YUCK! i will NEVER return to that Sonic. EVER!
 25th of Aug, 2010 by   Lizzie82 +1 Votes
A couple of points...

Yes, it's very common to have issues at fast food restaurants. It's fast food----the majority of people working there are teenagers, college students or people who can't get a job anywhere else and this is the last resort. If you're expecting 5 star service and wine and dining, go to a 5 star restaurant--not a fast food joint. I'm not saying that you shouldn't expect basic decent customer service and cleanliness, but some of these complaints are ridiculously petty.

Onto the employees. Okay--Mom or Dad--if your kid had to pay money b/c HIS/HER money was off for the night, maybe they DID do it themselves. It's great that you're so quick to defend your kid, but there's always two sides to a story. One of the NUMBER ONE TOP RULES when it comes to handling money is COVER YOUR OWN BUTT! I don't care if you have 50 people breathing down your neck, a manager yelling at you, a rabid dog attacking you and the Antichrist has decided he wants a burger...if YOU have your OWN drawer or money containers and you have to allow SOMEONE ELSE to use them---you COUNT THAT MONEY and you have that person SIGN a little slip showing the date, time and how much money they're taking over. That's just common sense. If you don't cover yourself like that, it IS YOUR FAULT regardless of who took the money. I love the excuses too "He didn't have time--he was too busy! He was forced!" I'll bet you now that he lost $40 of his own money he won't be too busy or too much of a coward to take responsibility for his own drawer.

As for the girl with laryngitis, if a manager actually had her on drive through where she HAS to talk a LOT, then she obviously could be heard so the laryngitis wasn't too horrible. Secondly, if she comes home sobbing each night b/c people make comments about a girl with laryngitis working the drive through in a fast food restaurant, I think she needs to get another job. The NUMBER ONE RULE OF CUSTOMER SERVICE is LET IT GO. You cannot take things personally no matter what because people suck--period. As far as contacting corporate, your daughter has access to all of those numbers as an employee.

Oh and managers of Sonic don't get paid $7.00 an hour----that's below the federal minimum wage level. But you're right in the fact that they don't get paid overly much. By the same token though, they CHOSE this job. If they don't want to deal with customers and sucky situations for the amount of money they get paid, then they shouldn't be working there. Yes I know the job market sucks right now, BUT, you have to take pride in your work. A person who is in charge of other employees needs to step up and not be afraid to be "the boss". You can always tell when a place has a "buddy-buddy boss" and a "real boss". The buddy-buddy place has employees that constantly mess around and do shoddy work while the real place runs a decent establishment.

Soooo...in regards to all of these complaints, if you keep having issues with Sonic over and over and over again, call Corporate and don't go back. That was simple wasn't it? If your kid works there and got screwed over, there's a 98.9% chance your kid had a huge role in what caused it. Lastly, if you want to receive the most excellent customer service of your life, don't go to a fast-food place---especially one that's predominantly run by teenagers and people in their early 20's. Common sense people.
 29th of Aug, 2010 by   yudydyidy 0 Votes
So im allergic to peanuts. I order a CHOCOLATE CHIP (no peanuts) m&m shake. When im eating it i get to about the middle and i see this brown piece of what i thought was chocolate that was sort of melted. Yes. It was a reeses peanut butter cup. I didnt eat it but it was there. IF YOUR DEALTHY ALLERGIC BE CAREFUL. (because it was mixed in pretty well)

Oh and i had trouble breathing after that and almost went to the hospital.
 30th of Oct, 2010 by   jayce409 0 Votes
i work at sonic in southeast texas where my general manager told me that a 16 yr old carhop had to at least show him her tits if she wanted to get the promotion and raise he already promised her.

The 5 Golden Rules of Saving on Everything