logo

Fraud

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Signature Market News, LLC, Apopka, Florida Complaints & Reviews - erroneous charge on AT&T bill

Signature Market News, LLC Contacts & Informations

Signature Market News, LLC

Posted:    Robin Watson

erroneous charge on AT&T bill

Signature Market News, LLC
Apopka, Florida
Phone: 877-320-8810
My 84-year old father who does not own a computer or have internet access, was charged $15.85 on his AT&T phone bill in August 2008. We disputed the charge and were told it came from Signature Market News, LLC. Upon further research, I found this company was listed in Apopka, FL although there is no web site, address, nor can you reverse lookup on switchboard.com. I reported this to the Florida BBB.
Comments United States Telecommunications
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

3rd of Oct, 2008 by   Rory Cox 0 Votes
I also received a charge for $16.75 on my AT&T bill. I was told by their AT&T that this charge was from a "third party" called OAN. My response to AT&T is below:

Dear Chanel,

Thank you for the response. When I call the number for OAN, once I enter in my phone number, their system tells me that I'm being forwarded to the company for which there are outstanding charges. Then I get hold music, only music, and after several minutes, no voice prompts. It's the same number as listed on the bill for Signature Market News.

I Googled Signature Market News, and found no company website. But I did find the posting below on a website called "http://www.complaintsboard.com". This is clearly a scam operation of some sort, and I find it very disturbing that AT&T has no ability to filter this sort of thing out of their customer's bills. I will inform the Better Business Bureau of this occurance. I would think that as this has appeared on an AT&T bill, that you would be legally liable for this appearing on a bill that comes from AT&T. I've never heard of OAN, and never signed up for any services from them. My arrangement as understood is with AT&T, period. It seems to me as if OAN is in on whatever scam this is, and it's hard to believe that a company as well reputed as AT&T would give their customers' information to something this unseemly.

Please put through this "recourse adjustment", and eliminate the $16.75 from my bill. Yesterday I authorized payment for the portion that was my actual phone bill (approximately $19). Also, I would like to once again receive paper bills from you, and no longer pay on-line with a credit card. While I appreciate the convenience of on-line bill paying, I no longer trust AT&T with my credit card information.

Yours,

(Mr.) Rory Cox
 6th of Oct, 2008 by   Jim Brower 0 Votes
I received a charge of $16.13 for Signature Marketing News on my ATT phone bill this month. Called ATT who said I would have contact the company to stop charges -ATT could do nothing. Called the News @
1-877-320-8810 (don't do it on weekends) and spoke to Madison who agreed to have me removed from their service-apparently someone signed me up.
 14th of Oct, 2008 by   Louai 0 Votes
Hi,
I got the same situation. I was looking at my att bill and I've noticed that my sept bill was a little higher than usual and I use internet and local phone. The added charges were coming from this SIGNATURE MARKET NEWS, LLC company. It was charging 15.00 for some nonsense marketing trading news. I called and they and they that I subscripted to their news.They had all my information from somewhere. I think, it could be from previous long distance call company that I used for calling overseas, which I believe they sold my name to them. The surprising thing that att included them in my bill with no question. Anyway I called them and I stopped their non sense service.
 16th of Oct, 2008 by   Maria 0 Votes
Another victim, I too received a charge of $14.95 plus CT State taxes for a total of $ 15.85 on my September phone bill without my consent. This is called "Slamming". I called the Signature Market News LLC (OAN or Operator Assistance Network) in regards to this charge, was passed on to 3 different people and put on hold numberous times. When I asked for their company address no rep was able to give me one and when I asked for a solicitor license number they did not have one. When I looked them up online there was nothing other than this complaint site and thanks to whomever posted this info. The company is a call center out of the Philliphines and is set up by a factious company in the U.S. that collects phone numbers and uses them fraudulently. When I called AT & T they gladly are
crediting my account and have flagged the account for future charges. I will also report them to the BBB in CT.
 16th of Oct, 2008 by   frazzled in florida 0 Votes
I received my AT&T Bill with a charge of $16.75 from Signature Market News, LLC. I have never heard of this company, did not order their service and called to complain about the charge. I did get through to Signature Market News and they agreed to take the charge off and cancel the "subscription" - I have no idea what service(s) they provide for $16.75 per month. It is quite disconcerting that AT&T is arbitrarily allowing this company to add their charges to consumer's bills. Signature Market News is an active Florida Corporation. I'm sure AT&T has received numerous complaints and this should sent up a red flag for them.

The following is what is on the State of Florida, Division of Corporati0n's website about this company.

Detail by Entity Name

Title MGRM
CARNES, STEPHEN
522 HUNT CLUB BLVD, #259
APOPKA FL 32703 US

I intend to file a complaint with the Secretary of State of Florida and any other governmental entity which may be appropriate. This needs to be stopped before more people are scammed - especially such as the 84 year old gentleman in one of the stories on this website.
 16th of Oct, 2008 by   frazzled in florida 0 Votes
Check out this web page and find out who this guy Stephen Carne really is...

16th of Oct, 2008 by   frazzled in florida 0 Votes
One more comment - if you wish to file a complaint, you can do so by clicking on this link:

18th of Oct, 2008 by   james dodson 0 Votes
i dont no what this is i would like to cancel this acount please thanks and have a great day. james dodson
 1st of Nov, 2008 by   Pam White 0 Votes
I have also been charged for sevice I did not receive or authorize. I am unable to reach this company to correct this problem. HELP!
 8th of Apr, 2009 by   DewDrop435 0 Votes
This also happened with me. Signature Market News charged me for two months of service for which I did not apply for. I called them and asked for proof of my electronic signature, they could not provide one. I was told "well, you are the only one who has your own personal information" I had recieved a shut off notice from AT&T. I called AT&T and told them they could not disconnect my service over nonpayment of non regulated charges. We argued, and argued. I requested a copy of my consumer bill of rights. I fought with Signature News. I contacted the State Of Ohio Attorney Generals Office over this. After several months of haggling all charges were dismissed, and credited to my AT&T bill. Ironically, just within the last week and a half the Attorney General Of The State Of Ohio is contacting me for further information. I shared all information candidly, and offered to sign any avidavit they wanted me to. For future reference, call your local telephone company and BLOCK all third party charges to your telephone. AT&T to me was a threat. Disconnect me because I dispute the charge to Signature News (unregulated) but can't disconnect if I pay just for my basic service (regulated). We went around and around and around. I feel as though AT&T are s0mewhat involved in this scam. If I would have had long distance charges from MCI on my AT&T bill and I didn't pay MCI, AT&T COULD NOT disconnect me. It is all a fraud, but I fought a good fight and won!!

Good Luck to all of you. If you have further problems contact your Attorney Generals Office.

Sincerley
 25th of Jul, 2009 by   omegaudio 0 Votes
I received mt AT&T bill and reviewed it. There is a charge from a third party for some email service from SIGNATURE MARKET NEWS.
The charge is for $16.00 (14.95 plus 1.05 tax) for some email service. Hello I use gmail and it is free.
I called AT&T and had a Third Party Block added to my account so this can not happen again.
AT&T has added a credit to reverse this charge, but I have to call SIGNATURE MARKET NEWS at 1-877-320-8810 to tell them to stop the subscription to the service I never signed up for.
They have a web site: http://signaturemarketnews.com/
The site has less news and information than a toilet tissue package.
Yet they have added them self to my phone bill?
They say they provide this:
Signature Market News is an interesting and informative monthly e-mail guide that highlights stock market news and events. Signature Market News will assist busy individuals to stay informed and up-to-date on numerous key financial developments.

"assist busy individuals to stay informed and up-to-date on numerous key financial developments" Like What? These people are scamming people and need to be shut down.

Here is a link to the Florida Attorney generals site where there is a link to file a complaint.
 25th of Jul, 2009 by   omegaudio 0 Votes
I have submitted a complaint to the FL Attorney Generals office here:

I did some google investigations on
SIGNATURE MARKET NEWS
522 HUNT CLUB BLVD, #259

Their corporate address is a UPS Store Mail Box:

These scammers need to be stopped.
 27th of Jul, 2009 by   omegaudio 0 Votes
I called the toll free number on the phone bill.
It was answered by 'Rommel'.
I told him that I wanted them to not charge my phone bill.
Rommel said I had enrolled via the internet, and even provided my 'mother's maiden name'.
He then went into we will add you to our Blocked from registration database and stop the billing of the service.
He was seemingly quick to want to resolve this.
At the end he asked if there was anything else he could do for me?

I then told him he has confirmed that they enrolled me with fraudulent information and I have already reported them to the Florida Attorney Generals Office. (Use the link above)
 29th of Aug, 2009 by   Luv4thePaws 0 Votes
Just saw the $16.00 charge on my phone bill and I am outraged! Especially since both my husband and I have been laid off recently- money is tight and I do not want to have to deal with this Signature Market News junk! Makes me very worried that I was "signed" up for this without my knowledge or consent.

Kari in NC
 26th of Dec, 2011 by   Jennifer-N-Marty 0 Votes
At the beginning of November I tried to call my in-laws to tell them of a death in their family because no one could get through to them. I found out that their phone had been shut off. He is 81 & she is 79 & they are not in good health. I thought that maybe she had forgot to pay her bill considering that they had just lost their daughter in May. I finally asked them about their phone today & they told me that AT&T went up on their bill for no reason & they couldn't afford it. I asked them if I could look at their bill. I saw this Signature Market on their bill for $14.95 a month. These people don't have a computer & couldn't use one if they did. They still haven't figured out how to use the basic tv remote. Not only was that company on there but another company that was charging them for long distance & calls to unknown numbers. When I set up their account with AT&T they were supposed to have put a block on long distance so I am confused on why this long distance company is on there & charging them for calls that they didn't make. We live in Georgia so i'm not sure who to contact except AT&T at this time. I will take this bill to my attorney & have them check into it though.

Jenny in GA