logo

Wont give me my money

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Shoppers Survey Inc., Scarborough (Toronto), Ontario Complaints & Reviews - Mystery Shopping Scam

Shoppers Survey Inc. Contacts & Informations

Shoppers Survey Inc.

Posted:    appleeyes

Mystery Shopping Scam

Shoppers Survey Inc.
Scarborough (Toronto), Ontario
Canada
Phone: 647-996-1221
I was a victim of a mystery shopping scam. This is how it started, I received a letter in the mail from a business called Shoppers Survey Inc, enclosed was a check for the mystery shopping assignments along with training pay for the assignments once all completed. I called the company to the phone listed in the letter which I found out later was a Canadian area code. So then I was given and a assignment coordinator, they sounded very professional may I ad. The coordinator assured me this company and job opportunity was legitimate. Her name was Phyllis, she told me to go ahead and deposit or cash the check which was for $4, 998.00 and to call her back when the funds became available. So I deposited the check on Friday December 5th 2008 and on sat. December 6th the funds were available and I called Phyllis, she instructed me that I would have to complete the money gram transfer assignments first and to withdrawal the amount for the money grams ASAP and go to my local wal-mart and send the money grams to Victoria, PEI Canada. It all sounds so stupid and ridiculous now that I’m really thinking about it. Anyway I was to evaluate the customer service rep. at the money gram and fill out the evaluation sheet that was also enclosed in the envelope. I was to fax everything back once all assignments were completed. She also said to call her back with the ref. # for the money grams as soon as I was done. So I completed the first two assignments and sent two money grams one for $1, 579.00 and one for $2, 873.00 both sent to Victoria, PEI Canada. It still never dawned on me that I was being scammed. Then she said to complete the other two assignments which were a 50dollar wal-mart purchase and a 40dollar purchase from the GAP. Which I did using my debit card, then filled out the evaluation on the Customer Service Rep. from both locations. I completed all four assignments, filled out the evaluation sheets and faxed everything back to that same phone number. By Tuesday 12/9/2008 there was a hold in my account for that check in the amount of $4998.00… so I called the company back to find out what was going on with the check and spoke to another woman by the name of Kim who said her supervisor would take care of it and call my bank to get everything straightened out. That’s when I started getting suspicious so I remembered the name of the bank on the check which was Grand South Bank out of Greenville, NC who told me it was fraudulent check. I’ve been calling the fake company back and every time I say my name they hang up on me. They are avoiding me….now I owe my bank that money back. I’m overdrawn by that exact amount for the fake check. This has become a nightmare and right before the Holidays. These people need to be stopped. I know the moneygrams were picked up in Scarborough, Ontario on 12/8/2008.
Comments Canada Scam & Fake Checks
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Shoppers Survey Inc. complaints
Shoppers Survey Inc. - Fraud and cheating

Comments

5th of Jan, 2009 by   appleeyes 0 Votes
I was a victim of a mystery shopping scam. This is how it started, I received a letter in the mail from a business called Shoppers Survey Inc, enclosed was a check for the mystery shopping assignments along with training pay for the assignments once all completed. I called the company to the phone listed in the letter which I found out later was a Canadian area code. So then I was given and a assignment coordinator, they sounded very professional may I ad. The coordinator assured me this company and job opportunity was legitimate. Her name was Phyllis, she told me to go ahead and deposit or cash the check which was for $4, 998.00 and to call her back when the funds became available. So I deposited the check on Friday December 5th 2008 and on sat. December 6th the funds were available and I called Phyllis, she instructed me that I would have to complete the money gram transfer assignments first and to withdrawal the amount for the money grams ASAP and go to my local wal-mart and send the money grams to Victoria, PEI Canada. It all sounds so stupid and ridiculous now that I’m really thinking about it. Anyway I was to evaluate the customer service rep. at the money gram and fill out the evaluation sheet that was also enclosed in the envelope. I was to fax everything back once all assignments were completed. She also said to call her back with the ref. # for the money grams as soon as I was done. So I completed the first two assignments and sent two money grams one for $1, 579.00 and one for $2, 873.00 both sent to Victoria, PEI Canada. It still never dawned on me that I was being scammed. Then she said to complete the other two assignments which were a 50dollar wal-mart purchase and a 40dollar purchase from the GAP. Which I did using my debit card, then filled out the evaluation on the Customer Service Rep. from both locations. I completed all four assignments, filled out the evaluation sheets and faxed everything back to that same phone number. By Tuesday 12/9/2008 there was a hold in my account for that check in the amount of $4998.00… so I called the company back to find out what was going on with the check and spoke to another woman by the name of Kim who said her supervisor would take care of it and call my bank to get everything straightened out. That’s when I started getting suspicious so I remembered the name of the bank on the check which was Grand South Bank out of Greenville, NC who told me it was fraudulent check. I’ve been calling the fake company back and every time I say my name they hang up on me. They are avoiding me….now I owe my bank that money back. I’m overdrawn by that exact amount for the fake check. This has become a nightmare and right before the Holidays. These people need to be stopped. I know the moneygrams were picked up in Scarborough, Ontario.
 30th of Nov, 2009 by   A mad woman 0 Votes
I feel very bad for you, i have almost gotten scammed from a represent name FERNANDO GOMEZ. I did not do the monry gram service transfer and when i told him that in an emal he was getting very mad and wanted me to send it back to the sender in florida, which he said his company was in new york. Then I told him i am going to the police with him and he sent me a email about his pregant wife and how if i did not carry the job out he will lose his joba nd his pregant wife will suffer. He is a big scamm and do not fall for these ads in craigslist. Here is the email he sent me

PLEASE PUT STOP ON YOUR ASSIGNMENT AND HAVE THE WHOLE FUND SEND TO THE ADDRESS VIA FEDEX TODAY UNFAILINGLY, YOU NEED TO DO THIS AND IN CASE ANYTHING HAPPEN LATER CONTACT THE SENDER ADDRESS YOU MAIL THE MONEY TO AND REPORT BUT RIGHT NOW MY JOB IS VERY IMPORTANT AND I CANT ALLOW YOUR IGNORANCE ATTITUDE TO MAKE ME LOSE MY JOB PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF MY PREGNANT WIFE DO MAIL BACK THE WHOLE MONEY TODAY... IF I LOOSE MY JOB DUE TO YOUR IGNORANCE ATTITUDE MY WIFE WILL SUFFER SO FOR THE SAKE OF MY WIFE IT WILL BE BETTER YOU MAIL OUT THE DOLLARS TO THE SENDER TODAY VIA FEDEX AND GET BACK TO ME WITH THE TRACKING NUMBER

This is SurveyJob Inc, subsidiary of SurveyJob Net, we are a company that conduct surveys and evaluate other companies. We get hired to go to other people’s companies and act like customers in order to know how the staffs are handling their services in relation to their customers. Once we have a contract to do so, you would be directed to the company or outlet, and you would be given the funds you need to do the job (either purchase things or require services), After which you would write a comment on the staffs activities and give a detailed record of your experience. Examples of details you would forward to us are:

1) How long it took you to get services.
2) Smartness of the attendant
3) Customer service professionalism
4) Sometimes you might be required to upset the attendant to see how they react to clients why they get tensed.

We then turn the information over to the company executives and they would carry out their own duties in improving their services. Most companies employ our assistance when people give complains about their services, or when they feel there is need for them to improve their customer service. Your Identity would be kept confidential as the job states (secret shopper) you would be paid $300 for every duty you carry out, and bonus on your transportation allowance, and funds would be given to you if you have to dine as part of the duty. Your job will be to evaluate and comment on customer service in a wide variety of shops, stores, restaurant and services in your area. No commitment is made on this job, and you would have flexible hours as it suits you. We are only looking for 50 employee in each state of USA, to work with us as we proceed to enhance good customer service all through the US states, If you are interested do send in this information:

FULL NAME:
CONTACT: ADDRESS:(NO P O BOX)
CITY: STATE:
ZIP-CODE:
TELEPHONE NUMBER:
MOBILE NUMBER:
AGE:
OCCUPATION:
EMAIL:

So we can look at your distance from the locations which you have to put your service into, and your address would also be needed for your payments.

Yours Sincerely

Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:48:05 -0800

Subject: A MAD WOMAN...NO ONE SCAMS
To: fernandousgom@live.com

Hello Fernando
I went to my bank this morning and talk to them and they said that is is a scam and I should wait 5 business day and the check that was sent to me will be a bad check, also if you scroll done in the website it does mention Money Gram from others posting it. I will be calling the police and will be giving them the number you have sent me and all of the emails. I am so sorry that it had to end like this and I am very mad that companies like to scam people. I am following my bank instructions and I am waiting until they give me futher notice. If the check is not a bad check at the end of this week i will be senting it back to the sender, Chris Campell, which lives in Florida and you said your company was in New York. Also why are you sending me to another Money Gram in Medford. I also did send you my number if you look at the previous emails, that is when i sent you the questions you asked me about my name and address. I am so sorry and you will have to wait, and i am working with my bank and the police on this one. I will not be a victim and i hope you will understand that. Also how come you want me to send the 2, 400 dollars to Texas. This is where another person said about MONEY GRAM :

"Thank you for this post.

Names have changed, this is the message I received:

Hello,
You have been Accepted as one of our Mystery Shopper/Survey Agent.
You will be evaluating the Wal-mart Stores along with the Money Gram Services inside the Wal-Mart store, the store must be around your neighborhood, kindly check out for the store in your neighborhood which you will be able to evaluate, make sure the stores you will chose are close to your area as much as possible, you have to send the address of the store you have chosen to evaluate to us while you reply to this email, Please note that you are to act Cool, Calm and Confident through out the period which you will be carrying out your survey at the store, in order not to arouse any suspicion. you will be shopping at Wal-Mart store and also make a transaction at the Money Gram service in the Wal-Mart .You can check http://www.walmart.com for a nearby location in your locality.
You will write a report about the customer services been given out at the store, you will send your report back to us via Email, you will have to use the following pointers to prepare your report "

I also googled you and why is you name in the fraud... here is the passage..."

FERNANDO GOMEZ

Fax:
Submitted: Friday, October 16, 2009
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009
MYSTERY SHOPPER NEEDED ONLINE WITH CRAIG'S LIST AND JOBFOX.COM

FERNANDO GOMEZ SENT A CHECK FROM WELLS FARGO BANKING WITH A SUM OF 2700.00 WHICH IS FRAUD WITH NO ACCT. EXISTING.

THIS WORK WAS TO DO WALMART'S MYSTERY SHOPPERS EVALUATIONS. HE WANTED ME TO DEPOSIT THE CHECK IN MY BANK AND DO A MONEY GRAM FOR 2303.00 FOR A WOMEN IN THE BUSINESS WITH THE EVALUATION REPORT. WHEN IN FACT THERE IS NO SUCH BUSINESS NOR ACCT. FOR THIS INDIVIDUAL.. REAL SCUM WHAT THEY WANTED WAS TO BOUNCE MY ACCOUNT AND RIP ME OFF THE 2300.00 WHAT A REAL SCAM BUT WHEN I TOLD HIM THE BANK DEPOSIT DIDN'T GO THROUGH I HADN'T HEARD BACK FROM HIM HE'S A REAL SCAM ARTISTS AND I HATE TO SEE SOMEONE NOT USE THEIR HEAD AND CONTACT THE ISSUER OF THE CHECK PRIOR TO DEPOSITING IT IN THEIR ACCT. HE SHOULD BE INDITITED ON THIS FRAUD OF CHECKS ETC. I WILL NOTIFY THE FBI IN REGARDS TO THIS ALSO.

REAL SLEASY PEOPLE OUT THERE SO BECAREFUL OF THIS...

I am absolutely done with this job, and I will not, I am not going to do the transfer, instead I am sending the check to the police department and they will handle you. Same as the person that post this about you, the money gram money that will be sent will be 2303 dollars. I am also giving the police the sender name Chris Campell and Tami Canada, it that is even a real person. I am done with this and so upset and disgust that people like you are preying on others that are trying to make a living. I also do not believe this number +12602475804...Bogus. Never ever email me again or try to rip off another person then i will get the FBI in this matter. No one will make me a victim and try to make me NEGATIVE 2, 777 dollars. It is a shame

Thank you, and I hope you have a good morning to think about what you are doing. I should have knew it was a scam because you posted it on craiglist as "GENERAL OFFICE ASSISTANT NEEDED" and my friend also wanted to do it but you never got back to her. You have scamed another person in October this year before me. That is why you contine to email me is because the check went through and person you tried to scam did not go through so you sto all contact, well Fernando Gomez, you have messed with the wrong woman and your name will be going to the police and please do not ever " imploy me to go on with the instructions or advice me" All calls are confidential, BOGUS...I have every single email saved and trust me they are all going to the police. I have had enough of people who rip off others for money.

A very mad Woman.

I am fighting him and i hope the police does catch him
 24th of Feb, 2011 by   david631 0 Votes
I got a letter from american research group. there was a $2370.50 cashiers check enclosed. out of that amt. I was to keep $300.00 for myself (emplyee pay) then, use $200.00 ($100.00 ea.) to shop at wal-mart and penny's. there was also an evaluation sheet to determine the store's quality of service. I deposited the cashiers ck. in my acct. my bank said to check back in 48 hours. I did. the funds were available. I withdrew $200.00 for shopping. we did our shopping. I filled out the evaluation paper. the next day I just happened to go on line and look at my acct. activity. the cashiers ck. came back as altered/fictious. it was just dumb luck that I did'nt complete the rest of the assignment before I checked my statement. ARG wanted me to send a portion of the check ($1750.00) via western union to a person/co. when I completed my assignment. well after finding out that the ck. was BS I called richard gatti at ARG. he said to call back in 2 hours. I waited about 1 1/2 hours. he hung up on me. again, thank god I didn't send that money. the $200.00 we used for shopping ended up being our own money and we bought things that we needed anyway. I'm not belittling the exp.. I thought of myself as a person that would see right through something like this. well I'm not that kind of person. allthough I'm a little sharper than I was. one more thing. when I dep. the ck. at the bank the girl said it looked fine. then when I checked my acct. prior to shopping it said the dep. was fine and my acct. was adjusted. it wasn't until 72 hours later that I found out about it.
 24th of Feb, 2011 by   david631 0 Votes
if anyone would like to call mr. richard gatti please do. authorities included. Survey Research Group Inc. 5528 nw 7th street #204 miami, fla. 33126-3215 tel: 1 305 396 9035
 6th of Jun, 2011 by   taisha thompson 0 Votes
i just find out about this scam and it happen to me i just got one please help me let me know what i should do i just put it in my account so what do i need too do need some one too help me asap email taisha914@yahoo.com
 28th of Feb, 2013 by   Claude Leroux 0 Votes
Hi, My name is Claude Leroux, from Laval, Qc. Canada
I received the following email. I am pretty sure that it is scam. It looks to nice to be true.

SHOPPERS ATTENTION

We require secret shoppers in your area and if you are interested to become one, fill in the below details and email us back at wyoming[AT]sandia[DOT]net .

* Full Name
* Complete ( full ) postal address with zip code
* Daytime contact number

You would be given a payment of USD100 to USD500 on each survey depending on the task.

A brief description on how to go about the process would be given in our next email and you could even do this in your spare time.

Secret Survey Inc.
George Ranger.

SHOPPERS ATTENTION

Health Care Reform: What Now?

Latest Groups