logo

Scammed

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Service Magic, Golden, Colorado Complaints & Reviews - Fraudulent charges!

Service Magic Contacts & Informations

14023 Denver West Parkway
Golden, Colorado
Phone: Toll Free: (877) 947-3639
www.servicemagic.com
I signed with Service Magic appx. one year ago offering my services as a real estate appraiser. After I went a "rigorous" and extensive check to verify my credentials which cost me $50.00 I was so "pleased" that I was "accepted". Two "qualified" leads (as they call them) later from two unscrupulous mortgage brokers made me think that this company doesn't care at all about the consumers but in fact they are in it just for the money. I explained Magic "professional team" that I am not going to loose my license hitting a pre-determined value for some scumbags mortgage brokers and I am not willing to pay for unqualified leads. Well guess what ? According to a Magic Service email I have received today my account has been terminated and sent to a collection agency. Now what is this ? Is this how honesty is treated today ? Haven't we seen enough of the devastating effect caused by fraud ? I am disgusted and nothing is going to stop me to spread the word around about this immoral, unethical company which is Service Magic.

George.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

12th of Mar, 2008 by   Anna Hicks 0 Votes
I wish I had read your complaint before I signed on with Service Magic. I was with this company only 1 week and spent $174 for bogus leads. The leads were definitely not good. The the last name of one prospect was incorrect, wrong phone number, emails bounced back, one prospect stated he never requested by service through Service Magic. Yet they expect for me to pay for bogus leads. Their solution was an in-house credit. What good is a replacement lead if they are also bogus?
 6th of May, 2008 by   Circlesucks 0 Votes
I agree maybe a class action lawsuit is what they need.
 17th of May, 2008 by   Tom 0 Votes
I totally agree with both of you about ServiceMagic. As a matter of fact, I posted a complaint with the BBB in regards to their fraudulent business practices. Almost every single "lead" were bogus. One of the few that we were able to set up an estimate for, the customer complained that she had already received multiple calls from other ServiceMagic contractors competing for her business. According to her, the contractors who called from ServiceMagic were very rude and unprofessional, which of course taints the image of my company before I even set foot in their home. Hell, I didn't even know that I would have to compete for leads that I was already paying for!! After going back and forth with the jokers from ServiceMagic, we finally decided to eliminate them as a marketing tool. Unfortunately, they don't want to let you go. Instead they give you credits for more crappy "leads". We basically just told them to piss off and never call us again.
 5th of Jun, 2008 by   dan 0 Votes
I have been a contractor working with Service Magic for around 1 month and so far have had 9 leads for entire roof replacements. 5 have been bogus, 3 turned out to be legitimate estimates, and 1 was out of my area. They sell each lead for $55 to 2-3 other contractors. The 2 contractor part is a total joke because they obviously are selling it to as many total contractors as possible (4) to maximize returns. The industry standard is to get 3 estimates, but not when a fourth is worth another $55 to a referral service. One of the problems with the way they run their business is the fact that they could care less about the contractors who are the lifeblood of their business. They look to sell each and every lead to as many contractors possible to maximaize profits. If a contractor is unhappy and quits, they just hire a new contractor to replace the old one. This is why they are always hiring, if you dont believe me just inquire with them and I garantee they will have openings for all the trades. They also run their website in a deceptive way to bait unsuspecting customers. These customers are the ones who are not actually interested in having their roofs done but were enticed to enter their information to get to another page on Service Magics website. These same customers are the ones who dont call the contractors back because they were not interested in having the work done in the first place. What they also didnt realize is that their name and phone number fleeced 4 contractors out of $55 and lined the pockets of the service magic corporation to the tune of $220. I have been with different internet referral services and they are so far the worst. The servicemagic rep told me that no refunds will be given for the $55 leads and that customers NOT RESPONDING TO LEADS IS BUILT INTO THE PRICING. There is a reason they are always very activly recruiting contractors. So far only 3 25% chance estimates has cost me over $495 and many headaches.
 12th of Jun, 2008 by   Ron 0 Votes
Service Magic is definitely a scam all around. I have experienced the same problems bogus leads you can never contact. I have told Service Magic to turn my leads off and they will turn them back on without my permission. If I do not check my emails daily and they send a lead I am charged because they provided me the information. What a scam!!! Oh they will give you credit on your next lead after you go through the hassle of emailing a request and explaining what happened. Even though I am on the telephone talking to a customer representative I still have to go to their website and my account and email a request. What a difficult way for a busy contractor to deal with an unprofessional business. I have even went to my account emailed my request and then they want me to call them. What a joke. We have refused to pay for a lead after they were told to turn off the leads and of course being the upright company it is not, they have terminated and sent our account to collection. I was going to pay the bill but after finding this site and all the complaints I feel there really needs to be some legal action against Service Magic.
 20th of Jun, 2008 by   bobbie 0 Votes
Look... good luck getting a lawsuit against servicemagic, if u read the the fine print or Terms and Conditions you will see everything in writing.if you are promised something by a individual and its not in writing then the rule is in was never said. When you are first getting into servicemagic they let you know that about 1 and 10 are good leads, thats an average not a promise! I notice that when something isnt perfect people always say its a "Scam" or its "Fraud". There are thousands of contractors that are successful that use servicemagic and in some cases change there lives. we do try our best to make sure that every lead we send, are people who want the work done, however some do fall thru the cracks and its truly unfortunate. most contractors are hard working people who are amazing at what they do, I to would be pissed if i got a bad lead, think about the yellow pages and other forms of advertising how affective are they? truly? If you work the program set up by servicemagic chances are it will work, not to say you will never get a bad lead, but the cost of those leads compared to the fixed target spend rate with the yellow pages at a 3% chance of getting a good lead you have a 10% chance with servicemagic and most of are contractors are doing 50%. If you look at our website we state very clearly that we try to match consumers with 1 to 4 contractors, we never say we will give the job to you on a sliver platter, we get your foot in the door its up to you to sell your company. with everything you do no matter what avenue of marking you choose there is risk and there are no promises made, by any company. Some have you gave up after a week of being with servicemagic and one person was with us a month!! what do you do if you are hired for a job and things go wrong or dont work out the way you want? do you up and leave the job or quit? Dan says the we bait unsuspecting customers, not true at all! before a request is submitted a pop up comes up that says "Please respect our contractors time and only put this request in if you are serious about getting this done". and when did 3 estimates become the industry standard? a consumer has the right to get as many as they want. and we took a poll and most people want 4. I will agree with Dan that contractors are the backbone of servicemagic and we do try to help and not purposely hurt your company in anyway and I am truly sorry to hear all of you had such a bad experience, we are trying to improve everyday and alot of the time bad leads get sent out are because of individuals working for servicemagic some of them just dont know enough about construction the people who work servicemagic are monitored closely and if you submit to many bad leads you are fired, so its not all about money, i know this cause i work at servicemagic and I am not a mananger or high up there I deal with contractor and consumers on a daily basis and I see how this service has helped people
 29th of Aug, 2008 by   Mary 0 Votes
I am an Account Specialist for Service Magic and find most of your complaints one sided. I have worked with contractors for years for residential as well as commercial. What most of you are not indicating is that Service Magic is not offering you "Lead Replacements" for consumers that clearly go to the intenet and purposely enter in phony information at your expense. The question that should be asked here is what is your intrepretation of a "qualified lead"? We at Service Magic call 8000 leads a day for the contrators verifying if the customer was contacted by the service professional, many times they are not, or contractors make appts they don't keep for one reason or another. We also ask them what is the status of their project. This is it, everything else as far as qualifying the lead is done by the contractor so we do not impede your sales process. We are a lead service folks we are not selling you jobs! There is a difference as there are companies out there that will charge you well over $2000 for a job. The question is how much will you pay for a qualfied job! If you have questions feel free to call our Customer Service Call center as we are here to answer any question you may have on your account. Thank you.
 15th of Sep, 2008 by   robert johnson 0 Votes
I am a service magic contractor and have been signed up for three months. I had real good resultes, 1 st month i won 7 leads out of 15' not bad, but i was on top of it and worked it hard .Now the leads have droped off a bit but thats construction up and down
 2nd of Oct, 2008 by   wojciech kiszkiel 0 Votes
Service magic ia a big scam. I got almost arested because of Service magic(guy call cops because i tried to rech him on the number that service magic gave me)
Did around 20 estimates and got 0 jobs. Paid for 40 leads of which half were bogus
 27th of Oct, 2008 by   Bob Wright 0 Votes
This Service Magic company should disappear! They billed my card for leads even though I had not formally agreed to work for them. I phoned my bank to put a block on any of their charges.
They charged me even though they didn't have a signed contract from me and I did not complete any work on their behalf.
They turned me into their collection department.
I fully support a class action lawsuit.
 10th of Dec, 2008 by   mshmoo +1 Votes
I am a contractor.
I have almost same experionce as like yours.
This website shows about 'class action'
 28th of Feb, 2009 by   concrete503 0 Votes
I'm a contractor and have been using Service Magic for a month. I recently got a referral for a job that was for installation of new countertops. Well the address that came up didn't seem like a residental neighborhood, so I went to check it out. Well, it turned out to be a apartment complex. After that, I proceeded back to my office and do a reverse find on the telephone number, and it came up with a different address and name that was on the referral. How weak is that.
 15th of Mar, 2009 by   maiddirectory 0 Votes
Visit www.maid-directory.com a new nationwide directory to list your company absolutely free.
 15th of Mar, 2009 by   Jrge Fraco 0 Votes
Advertising is advertising. It's that simple. When I started my flooring company, I initially did the same thing every other contractor in the world did. I put an ad in the yellow pages, I paid for one of those magnetic company signs to put on my pickup, I posted small stacks of business cards at local coffee shops, and sent out flyers to every homeowner in my demographic.

My Yellow Page ad ran me right around $1, 400 for the year, my custom magnetic signs (2, one for each side) were about $300, flyers ran about 49 cents each and since I sent out 2, 500 of them, that equated to about $1, 225, and the busines cards were cheap, but you need those anyway, so I won't figuree that into my advertising costs. So, with my conventional forms of advertising I spent around $3, 000.

A contractor friend of mine who does landscaping turned me on to Service Magic, so I thought I'd take a look. So, I called and the sales rep I spoke with (think his name is Carson) told me that people come to their website to find licensed and insured contractors, which I am. So I signed up. I signed up to for hardwood flooring leads at $38 or $28 per lead depending on whether or not the customer has the materials. Within a 25 mle radius from my location I was receiving about 2 leads per week. I ended up spending about $200 before I landed my first job. As of now, I on average spend ablout $125-$300 before I am able to land a job.

Yellow pages generated ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me. Not a SINGLE call! My flyers landed me 2 bids, but both fell through.

I'm not sure what the rest of you were told about their advertising, but I knew exactly what i was getting into when I signed up with Service Magic. I knew they were not garanteed jobs, just like billboard advertising does not offer garanteed jobs, but all I wanted was the opportunity to talk to good folks who were/are looking into getting work done. Service Magic did just that. I'm satisfied. Not sure what else to say, other than:

ADVERTISING IS ADVERTISING!!!
 31st of Mar, 2009 by   Floor Guru 0 Votes
I have been using Service Magic since last October. I just dumped them on 3/30/09. Some of their leads are in crack town, some are just "Tire Kickers" or some you can never get in touch with! Even the few "replacement" leads were useless.
Service Magic is the pits, unless you are willing to compete with lowballers and bottom feeders, and basically work and try to run a business, bidding at half price then you don't need Service Magic.
They are truly a useless lead generator. And I refuse to do business with cheapskate homeowners who think anyone with a saw and a truck is a seasoned flooring mechanic. Or that some illegal alien advertising on Craigs List, is actually a legitimate business.
There's a new scam out there also. It's called www.everycontractor.com Google their name and/complaints. believe it or not they are just as bad if not worse than Service Magic.
 29th of May, 2009 by   gpc -1 Votes
Service magic are sly people they recently due to the fact I would not sign up posted a comment with my business name stating this company is a not a service magic pro. Neither is half a million others. They use this ploy this technique as a scare tactic along with constant calls. Bye the way Gpconstruction llc. is not associated with service magic in any way shape or manner. That should give me alot more work. lol. Suggestions for all of you contractors trying to subsidise your income. Networking is number one always, friends, workers, family distant lol. word of mouth travels faster. If you must find others try bid clerk 50 a month all the jobs at your finger tips. CDC for you commercial and heavy companies great website always try it out first then make a comprehensive decision. CDC should run about 800 a year. Be informed be skeptical even on your purchases. Bye the way 1800 contractors and service magic are the same company and you will be bidding on some jobs against them on bid clerk. Another search engince is the town or city you live in for federal and government jobs up and coming on most town or city websites for free. Enjoy the bidding and bid smart. GP
 17th of Jun, 2009 by   Andy -1 Votes
I tried out Service Magic also and was scammed. Leads were supposed to have plans, permits, financing in place and be within 25 miles of our location. Not. I had to pay for leads so far away that I never made contact. I was charged money to set up and put $400.00 in my account towards leads. I made contact with one potential customer that was only looking for entertainment. When I cancelled I had $140.00 in my account and they wouldn't refund it. What a scam! Buyer beware. It did cost me money but more than that, frustration and time wasted.
 25th of Jun, 2009 by   jcmann01 0 Votes
I am a contractor with Service Magic and indeed have gotten many leads so far. I have handed in 5-7 leads that clearly fit on their list of refundable credits. However, its been two weeks and I have not seen one penny returned to me for these leads. Now, they guarantee 5-7 business days, but why I don't see the credits by now clearly tells me that there are unethical practices going on here. The ethical way of them handling this is not to charge the contractor for the questionable lead until it has been checked out under the "Service Magic Service Level Agreements" that they set up. Now, Service Magic is quick to charge the contractor for a lead and quick to take the whole thing to collections, but don't take their own unethical practices into account at all? If you go to Walmart and your not happy with the Merchandise, they refund you for it right away. If you are unhappy with the lead at Service Magic, they tell you to come back in two weeks after they make a decision about whether or not they will
refund you the credit for the lead.
 22nd of Jul, 2009 by   chores +1 Votes
I have been using Service Magic for many years off and on. I turned off the leads in the spring because of the *lousy* lead quality. yesterday I got a new lead. this one is about the bottom of the barrel, and I strongly suspect that Service Magic pays some people to fill out request forms just to generate more bogus leads. I spent 2 hours with the live chat dude, who had been schooled in the fine art of "how not to respond directly to questions" and "how to accentuate the positive even if its a lie". any way I got absolutely nowhere with this meatball, so I asked him to send my information to management, and he had 3 or 4 reasons why that would not be a good idea. finally, I told him to do it anyway, as I had already spent about 2 hours with him. I made a copy of the live chat, for my records. next I plan on doing more of my own marketing as service magic cannot be trusted to screen calls, or operate in way that they expect of their service providers.

How many stars for Service Magic? it hasnt been worth a darn for many years. 1 star for showing up and breathing.

Scottsdale Arizona