logo

Sergeant's Gold Flea and Tick Drops

Posted:    angella

Poisoned My Dog

Sergeant's Pet Care Products
I've used the Sergeant's and Hartz products on my pets for years. I never thought to question their safey because they are approved by the EPA and available over the counter in grocery stores. Of course I realized this type of product was a pesticide with dire warnings on the back of the box about ingesting it or getting it on the skin, contacting posion control for help, etc.- warnings for HUMANS. For this reason I never applied the whole recommended dosage anyway, and my pets and my house remained flea and tick free. Then a reaction happened.
Within an hour of using only a couple drops of the Sergeant's Gold Flea and Tick Squeeze-On for Dogs, my little 12 pound dog was vomiting white foam, seizuring, and choking. He had licked the pesticide off of his back and down the side of his body, and his skin was red and raised. Since I've used this product many times with no side effects, I wasn't convinced that the drops were really to blame for his symptoms. Of course this happened late on a Friday night when no vets were open anywhere. I turned to the computer to help me figure out what was going on and how to help my dog.
Imagine my surprise when I looked online and discovered that not only Sergeant's, but Hartz, Bio-Spot, and other flea and tick products have been suspected of causing the poisoning deaths and nervous system damage of hundreds, maybe thousands of pets for at least the last 7 years. The symptoms of this type of poisoning were exactly what my dog was exhibiting. I was shocked to see entire websites up that detail the dangers of these products, such as Hartzvictim.org, Hartzkills.org, and others. There are videos on youtube showing suffering cats who have been poisoned. There are lists of U.S. television news broadcasts that have documented the concern among vets and pet owners. There are tallies of the expensive veterinary care that was required to save people's poisoned animals. It broke my heart hearing the stories of distraught pet owners who had unwittingly killed their beloved pet. The guilt and helplessness they spoke about was something I could relate to as I held my struggling dog and tried to console him and ease the pain. The EPA has apparently done little over the years to solve the problem other than have the companies change the warnings on their labels to ensure that owners don't accidentally put cat drops on dogs, and vice versa. This cat/dog confusion is not the issue in most of the poisonings I read about however, and it is not the issue with my dog.

This is what I did to provide emergency help to my dog: I took off his collar in case the poison had gotten onto it. Then I immediately washed the Sergeant's Gold Flea and Tick Squeeze-on for Dogs off my dog's body with baby shampoo. I dried him off and gave him water to drink in a dropper. I kept him on a towel in case he threw up again, then promptly removed the towel each time so he wouldn't get any more poison onto his skin. When he seemed to be done vomiting, I gave him more water, half of a benadryl tablet, and soothed coconut oil onto his rashy back. He struggled most of the night since his seizures continued even through his sedation. In the morning I began giving him unflavored Pedialyte in the dropper to keep him hydrated. By noon he ate some canned chicken, but still would not drink on his own. He still had not gone pee since the day before. I kept giving him the Pedialyte every hour or so, along with half a benadryl every 6 hours to keep him calm. Today is the third day since the poisoning, finally he has been able to pee, and he is much better, though he still wants to lay around most of the time and has about one seizure every few minutes. This is a great improvement from the first day, when his seizures were non-stop.
Tomorrow is Monday, so I will be taking him to the vet first thing. From what I've read online, however, most deaths took place within 3 days, so hopefully we will be past the danger period by then. I have used this product on my other dogs also, with no side effects, but since it's obviously possible for the pet to silently reach a toxicity level before anyone notices a problem, I will definitely NEVER apply this poison again to any of my pets. The skeptics and the companies themselves will probably say it was just a fluke or maybe something else was responsible for the terrible reaction (that has been the pattern, actually). To them I say, do your homework.
Good luck to all pet owners and the animals who depend on them to keep them safe. I hope my story can save a life or better yet, prevent a poisoning from happening in the first place.
SPREAD THE WORD!
Comments United States Pets & Animals
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

24th of Jul, 2009 by   bobtheman 0 Votes
I hope your dog is OK... but it IS a pesticide that kills fleas. I would think especially on a small yip yip dog like that, you have to be extra careful.

Hopefully the pooch was OK though.
 14th of Aug, 2009 by   Dorise 0 Votes
I have been using this product for several years with my dogs, never applying the whole tube. But, today I used two drops of my small dog and she has been restless all day and it is 12 hours later and she won't lay still. She whines and scratches her ears and licks her paws and gets up and then lays down quickly and just can not seem to get comfortable. She wants to sleep I can tell but just cant. No seizures but very uncomfortable. I gave her liquid Benedryl and it seems to help but only a little bit. I will NEVER use this product on any of my animals ever again! I did wash her with baby shampoo and will try the Dawn on her now. I feel so bad that I dont know what to do for her. Vet not responding back to me as it is 10:08pm...I hope she does not start to foam or vomit but if she does I will follow the help of your suggestions. Thanks...
 2nd of Nov, 2009 by   MaStew 0 Votes
A friend of mine lost 2 dogs within weeks of each other after using Sergeant's flea products. It's horrible to loose your beloved pet, but to loose both of them! That's tragic. I will never use their products again.

I've bred Boxers for years and I will advise puppy buyers not to use the product.
 3rd of Nov, 2009 by   Lost Soul09 0 Votes
What is truly worse is when the dogs have to owners, and the other owner is not notified about this horrific tragedy. No matter what the label says you should always do some research before applying anything over the counter to your animal. My lose is great as well, because they were a part of my life to. At least I have their offspring, and they are doing just fine.
 30th of Nov, 2009 by   cmeeks 0 Votes
I started using Hartz Ultra Guard Ear Mite treatment on my Yorkie on November 20th, 2009 and continued use all the way up to November 26th the day of thanksgiving. On that same day I applied Sergeant's Gold flea & tick squeeze on for dogs on my yorkie at exactly 1pm and then a couple of hours later I noticed my dog scratching like crazy, rolling all over the floor, crying, and biting himself and tremendous digging... He never acted like this it was so unusual and out of his character! He kept trying to rub his bottom on everything he could find so I took him outside for a walk and figured maybe he needed to use the bathroom. He kept rubbing his face in the grass as well as trying to eat the grass and still crying and drooling, he did not use the bathroom at all! I still thought that maybe it was the fleas that were causing him to react this way so I took him in the house and gave him a bath using Hartz Ultra Guard Rid flea & Tick shampoo and after I washed him and dried him off it seemed like things got worse, he continued to bit himself, roll all over the house, and cry constantly as if he was trying to tell me something! At exactly 9pm I rushed him to the Emergency Animal hospital and found out he had an allergic reaction to Sergeant's Gold squeeze on as well as the Hartz shampoo and to make matters worse he also received an ear infection because of the Hartz ear mite treatment!!! My dog had to receive 2 shots and oral medication and antibiotics, as well as ear ointment and my bill was $260 leaving the hospital! Luckily the Dr told me I came in just in time because things could have been much worse and my dog could have died! Those products have so many chemicals in them and are basically POISON AND NEED TO BE TAKEN OFF THE SHELVES!! THE DR TOLD ME HE NEVER RECOMMENDS HARTZ OR SERGEANT'S GOLD PRODUCTS NOTHING OVER THE COUNTER for any dogs but he does recommend Advantage and Frontline! WE NEED TO CONTINUE TO TRY AND SEEK ACTION AND GET THESE PEOPLE OUT OF BUSINESS AND GET THESE PRODUCTS OFF THE SHELVES BECAUSE WE ARE THE VOICES FOR OUR PETS!!
 3rd of Dec, 2009 by   Fkuchynka 0 Votes
Tuesday I purchased Hartz Ultra Guard Flea and Tick Drops at a local Walmart to treat my dog Zeus for fleas. Tonight we noticed that his fur was coming out in clumps from the area that we applied this product. Once we bathed him we noticed that the areas were red swollen and tender to the touch. Zeus acted as if he was in pain just from pouring water on the areas. I am now reading all the terrible situations from consumers using this product. I would much rather my dog have fleas then use this product ever again. At least fleas do not make him yelp in pain. Hopefully we will not have to take our baby to the vet to seek any medical attention. I called the number listed on the back of the product and of course the customer service department is not open. As many complaints that I have read tonight this product line should be pulled from the shelves ASAP!
 3rd of Feb, 2010 by   diana 0 Votes
I just yesterday unknowingly used sergents flea and tick gold drops. My dog as well experienced awful jerking, etc. She is doing ok today. I realized what was going on immediately and rinsed her. Took her to our vet asap. I do hope everyone elses dogs are doing ok.
I do feel the need to comment on one thing that I really do not get . . If this had happened on a "friday" when no vet was open, why on earth wouldn't you take your pet to the emergency vet. Every town has one, correct? ? ?
 5th of May, 2010 by   goddiva311 0 Votes
I had the same thing happen to my dog and I doggie sat for my sister and put it on her dog and he had the same exact reaction. This is bullshit~ How on earth can they keep this shit on the shelves and continue harming animals? Something has to be able to be done.
 20th of May, 2010 by   Christine R Ruf 0 Votes
Hartz "Sergeant's Gold"

Flea Product (orange tube)not labled properly.!!! You see a picture of a cat and cannot really see the line through it. This was flea and tick for dogs up to 55lbs. There should not be a picture of a cat at all!!! It was put on our cat by accident because of poor labeling from Sergant's Gold poor labeling. Our cat ended suffering with spasms, seizures, redness, swelling and hair comming out of the site where it was applied. She ended up in the Vet ER for almost $400 dollars, If it had gotten worse it would have been alot more. We could have lost our cat. MAYBEE YOUR COMPANY DOES NOT CARE ABOUT OUR PETS, BUT WE DO TAKE OUR PETS HEALTH VERY SERIOUSLY!!! Their should be in big letters at the tear strip "FOR DOGS" OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT!!!
EPA Reg. No. 2517-80 P001714

I think you should recall this product for improper labeling!!!

Will not buy your product again and will pass it along!!!
Christine
 31st of May, 2010 by   lpoi 0 Votes
My poor 8 year old dog was given the Sergents Gold drops 6 days ago, he has been crying uncontrollably since. We brought him to the vet and he was put on Cephalaxin 500 mg BIOD, Benedryl every 2-3 hours, valium 1-3 tabs every 8 hours, and 243 mg of aspirin every 4 hours as well as a steroid cream. his hip area is completely raw! This is such an inhumane product! His hind quarters on the side where he developed the reaction seems to have atrophy and he falls over at times. He has been such a good dog, never any accidents, very loyal, good with kids as well as people, he did not deserve this. I really dont know if he will make it, I suspect he wont. I have been working in the medical field for 26 years and if this was happening to humans then I am sure the FDA would outlaw the product. I am very hopeful that he makes it, my husband and I have had maybe 2 hours of sleep a night so he's getting less!
 10th of Jun, 2010 by   JM234 0 Votes
Hartz Ultraguard. That's the one that hurt my "Lucky". Guess it wasn't His lucky day. He has been suffering with nausea, vomiting, lethargy, no appetite, won't drink, staggering walk, just the saddest dog you've ever seen. This is going to be a big vet bill!!! Thanks a lot Hartz!!!
 16th of Sep, 2010 by   Katie07 0 Votes
same thing happen to my 6yr old black lab. tell EVERYONE, this stuff shouldn't be on the shelf's if its going to hurt an animal!
 8th of Oct, 2010 by   Isabellesmom 0 Votes
I incurred a $210 vet bill within 48 hours of applying Sergent's Gold Flea and Tick. My puppy's gums were bleeding, she had nauseau, she was lethargic and the saddest eyes you've just ever seen. You could tell that she was terribly sick. It was horrible! She is doing slightly better - but still tires easily and is lethargic. I'm hoping and praying that my eight month old puppy will survive this! I've used Frontline on my other dogs in the past and never had an issue. My husband and I were traveling - and there were no vets or pet supply stores in this area...only a grocery store with this lethal poison!
 17th of Feb, 2011 by   TSOROKY 0 Votes
WELL WE JUST LOST OUR PERSIAN CAT DALLAS TO THIS HORRIBLE PRODUCT, IT MADE HIM PARRALYSED HIS WHOLE ENTIRE BODY COULD NOT MOVE EVEN BLINK.RUSHED TO HOSPITAL AND VET GRABBED HIM FROM ME RAN WITH HIM TO BACK SAID HE SHOULD BE OK, SHE MENTIONED SHE GETS I A MONTH WITH SAME EFFECT, FROM SERGEANTS USUALY THERE ARE OK ONCE FUSHED OUT OF SYSTEM, AND POISON CONTROL, BUT NOT DALLAS, HE GOT WORSE AND DIED THE FOLLOWING MORNING.IT WAS HORRIBLE, I CALLED SERGEANTS THE FOLLOWING WEEK AND THEY TRIED SEEING IF WAS SOMETHING WE DID WRONG, LOL WHICH ONLY MADE ME MORE MAD SO NOW IM OUT FOR VENGANCE FOR DALLAS I WANT THAT CRAP OFF THE MARKET SO THIS NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN
 20th of Feb, 2011 by   Reneida 0 Votes
Todos los comentarios son en ingles y lo respeto pero las mascotas no tienen idioma, por tal razon, tengo que hacer mis comentarios en español para los amigos de habla hispana. JAMAS JAMAS JAMAS volvere a usar el producto en gotas para mis mascotas. Mi poodle ha estado desde anoche cuando se las administe en una total conducta de desesperacion. Es como si todo su sistema nerologico estuviera alterado...corriendo, salivando, brincando, con ojos desorbitados...oh DIOS que terrible.LAS AUTORIDADES TIENEN QUE PROHIBIR ESTOS PRODUCTOS POR EL BIEN DE LOS ANIMALES, DUEñOS, AMBIENTE Y TODO LO QUE SE PUEDA AFECTAR POR ESTE VENENO. Por mas precauciones que se tomen el animal es el que sufre los resultados. POR FAVOOOOOOOOOOR!!!
 19th of May, 2011 by   KateinAlaska 0 Votes
This is really disgusting and I'm very disappointed. I applied Sergeants Gold to my dog yesterday. In the evening, she developed restlessness to the point that she can't sleep, panting and a "tick" for which she still has. It dawned on me what the problem was. This morning I gave her a bath and will be doing so again shortly. I sincerely hope this wears off as we have no vet where I live. I will not be doing this again!
 19th of May, 2011 by   srchng4care 0 Votes
i go to the vets office once a month and buy frontline for my dog i pay 15$ for a dose that lasts a month its been working well so far and ive been using it for about a year try going to one of your vets any vet i dont even have to have the dog withme or make an appointment or anything i just tell him how much he weighs and thats it
 24th of Aug, 2011 by   a very mad mad mom 0 Votes
we applied 1 tube to all 3 of our dogs... two labs and one chihuahua. we put on the 9-20 pound flea and tick treatment of seargents... with in 6 hours my chihuahua was foaming and throwing up, flapping ears, rubbing his head and body all over the walls and stairs. he refused to drink and eat for hours. he was at the near brink of death. i washed it off of him with dish soap and gave him benidryl and dipped his nose in water so he laps one or two laps of water. eventually he drank and started peeing. NOW, he has the squirts and also still throwing up and still drooling. its day 2 now...
also on day two now my two labs whom also got the 9-20 pound treatment from the same tube are also starting the flipping the ears and drooling and also the squirts. but their reactions are not as seveire. but my heck! this is so not worth the trip to the store to buy again. i would rather be bittin to death from fleas than put my dogs through this again. HORID- HORID- HORID! both my labs are over 50 pounds. i put a good dose on them and a little on my chihuahua. and this is what i got... STAY AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT!!! if my dogs die due to this produict... this company will see my wrath
 27th of Aug, 2011 by   TerrifiedPetOwner 0 Votes
It's the middle of the night and I 'm up with my suffering dog after applying Sargent's Gold. She is having a horrible reaction and suffering terribly. Now, after researching, I'm worried for both of my dog's health. Shame on Sargents and shame on the EPA for allowing a company to sell something that would cause such suffering to an animal!
 9th of Sep, 2011 by   marinella jauregui 0 Votes
your co. has made my pets sick, with the way I job market is I had finding ways to save money, Boy what surprise that your flea drops made my pets very sick for days, not only will I stand in front of the dog counter in a store and give a warning to lots other pet owners not to buy your products. YOUR COMPANY HATES CATS AND DOGS WHY ARE YOU IN THE KILLING BUSINESS TO KILL PETS. I took my 4 dogs to the vet's office and 2 more sick at home, we were up all night give baths to our dogs and still they ACTED LIKE I GAVE THEM CRACK. W hat kind of a company are you do you who make this shit even care??? I will be at all store I can to stop this even if I get told to get out then I will use my 1st AMENDMENT OF THE CONSTITUTION TO SPEAK OUT OVER THIS I WILL ALL I CAN TO RUN YOUR BUSINESS DOWN TILL YOU CHANGE HOW YOU DO BUSINESS...YOU ARE KILLERS

A Facebook Identity Theft