logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
Wrinkle Acres Dog Kennel **KAREN WILSON**
Bad bad bad dog breeder for akc!
2. (17 mins ago)
PAYMENT NOT RECEIVED FOR SERVICE RENDERED

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Semper Financial, Providence, Rhode Island Complaints & Reviews - Misleading/Unprofessional service

Semper Financial Contacts & Informations

One Richmond Sq
Providence, Rhode Island
Phone: 1-866-330-4411
sempfi.com
I scheduled an appointment (on 5/16/2009) to see Robert Lavine after receiving a letter stating that i can refinance my house for 4.48% rate if i qualify. During my meeting with Mr. L, he checked my credit score, which was A+, then he asked me several questions, and for the info. i have provided Mr. L, he assured me that everything will go smoothly and i will have no problem getting 4.48% rate on my mortgage loan, so i filled out the paper work to have my house appraised. I agreed to pay $375 for house appraisal after Mr. L mentioned SEVERAL times that i will NOT have a problem getting this loan approved for 4.48% and after assuring me that everything was going to be fine and that i should have closing in just few weeks, i signed the papers given to me and was told i should get a phone call this week from the appraisal to schedule an appointment.Few days after, i received a phone call from Will Kasey, titled himself as Mr. L''s manager, and was asking if I''m satisfied with Robert Lavines service, and at the time i was. After two weeks, i received another phone call from Mr. Kasey asking if everything is going ok and if we scheduled the appraisal yet, which i had not yet received a phone from the appraisal. Finally, on June 1st i received a call from the appraisal to schedule a meeting on June 5th (3 weeks later). On Monday, June 8th, i called Mr. L to find out the status of my loan application and he told me that because of their computer failure his not able to retrieve the info. on the appraisal, but assured me that he will give me a call back after their computer system gets fixed. On Wednesday, i gave Mr. L another phone call after not hearing anything from him, and he mentioned that he was trying to get hold of me but had no luck, which i found that strange because i knew he never called me, so i was trying to get info. from him on the status of my loan and he hung up on me, i called him several times and no answer, i called the main number asking for Roberts Lavines manager and Mr. L answered instead, apologizing for getting disconnected, and told me that i was not illegible to get 4.48% but 5.35% because my house did not have more than 80% of value, i argued that he assured me everything was going to be fine, be Mr. L just accused me for things i have never said...I had no luck with Mr. L so i pursued to speak to Mr. Kasey (the manager), after several attempts on getting hold of him and speaking to other people that pretended to be Mr. L''s manager, i finally got hold of Mr. Kasey and explained to him my situation, he was able to find the value of my house right on his computer (which was $415, 000) so why didn''t Mr. L check the value of my house with the info. i provided him with and i would of told him right away that my house does not have more than 80% of value, so i wouldn''t of wasted my money on the appraisal that was not necessary. Mr. K was very understanding and told me that he will find out why Mr. L didn''t take the proper steps, why it took so long to get the appraisal done, that he will try to refund me the money we paid for the appraisal (they also overcharge me on the appraisal $415 when it was supposed to cost $375) and he will try to find a program that will fit my need in getting a mortgage loan. Mr. Kasey was supposed to call me the same day and never did, i called him in couple of days and days after with no answer, so i kept leaving massages and i never got any responses.I was mislead by Semper Financial by letting me know that i had nothing to worry about and i was sure to get 4.48% rate after i get my house appraised. Any other bank i went to prier, did not even bother with paper work and appraisal after checking (on their computer) what my house was worth, but this company wanted me to get the appraisal done just so they could get money off me.I got scammed, ripped off, lied to, and left with questions unanswered! This company did not take proper steps.

After going through all this hassle; being mislead, scammed, ripped off, lied to and received such unprofessional service, i do NOT want to do any business with Semper Financial but received my refund for $415 that i paid for the appraisal (which i was told by Will Kasey, Customer Service Manager, that i will get my refunded), i paid for an appraisal which i did not even need!!!
Comments United States Loans
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

31st of Jul, 2009 by   WILLIE CASEY 0 Votes
I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH THE LETTER ABOVE. I KNOW THAT IS NOT WHAT HAPPENED. I AM "WILLIE CASEY". AS FAR AS MR. LAVIGNE'S ROLE IN WHAT HAPPENED HE IS NO LONGER WITH THIS COMPANY. WE HAVE DISTANCED OURSELVES FROM ANYONE WHO WOULD GO AS FAR AS TO MISREPRESENT THIS COMPANY. IF YOU HAVE ONE BAD OFFICER IN THE FORCE DOES NOT MAKE THE ENTIRE CITY CORRUPT. HE IS GONE WE ARE HERE AND WE ARE PROFESSIONAL CARING WORKERS. AS YOU SEE THIS LETTER HERE...I AM SURE THAT I AND THE COMPANY HAVE JUST THIS ONE WITH THIS TEMPERMENT. BUT I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT WE HAVE PLENTY MORE WITH BORROWERS EXPRESSING THEIR GRATITUDE AND SATISFACTION WITH US. THANK YOU WILLIE CASEY...
 19th of Apr, 2010 by   OrlandoV -2 Votes
I'm curious, why would the poster fabricate horrible service?

Also, why would a "professional" manager type in ALL CAPITAL letters? Whether the "ex" employee is with the company or not is besides the point here. You had a bad employee, he gave unprofessional service and now you have an upset ex client.

Rather then typing in caps and defending the company, how about being professional and apologizing publicly for the poor service that Mr. dapaley received? I would have much more respect for a manager/company in such case.

By the way Mr Casey, I received an offer today from Semper and have decided not to proceed. Not because of the angry customer but because of your response.
 23rd of Nov, 2010 by   msdron +2 Votes
i recieved a letter from semper today and was going online to apply but ran into the complaint first. after reading it i think i will try someone local
 23rd of Nov, 2010 by   Mortgageguy123 0 Votes
I received an offer in the mail from these folks and found this note before I went to their site. I figured that it was just an isolated incident and entered some basic information on their website. I got a call just now and the rep on the phone was very unprofessional. First off - he wasn't listening and I had to say hello several times before he even acknowledged me. Then, I explained to him that my house was a recent purchase and that the LTV was relatively high. And he said "Oh well, take it easy" and hung up on me. Hilarious... And completely unprofessional. Just laughable that a customer service rep would think it was acceptable for ending a call in such a manner. I get that he can't help - my LTV is over their 85% limit, but to end the call by hanging up? Ridiculous.

I'm hoping that since this complaint is the first item on a google search, that lots of people see this before they waste their time.
 29th of Jan, 2011 by   mdh1953 0 Votes
I received a letter for refinance and so I decided to call Semper loans, They were very nice to begin. I sent in our application and the person I talked with stated that everything looked good and that an appraiser would call to set up an appointment to appraise our house and we would close the end of January. WRONG< WRONG I have heard from them one time since then and that is was after I called to see what was going on, Brett Arnold left a message for us to call him back to discuss our loan but when we call back he does not answer and I have left messages for him to call me back . Have not heard from Brett or the appraise. So I would not recommend Semper loans to no one. Even if we did not get the loan (don't know because we haven't heard a word) the common courtesy would be to call and let us know. If you get a offer from them throw it away. Again I would not recommend them.
 5th of Apr, 2011 by   clt2011 0 Votes
Wow - I just received something in the mail from them and I have no plans on calling based on what I have read. Thank you for taking the time to post all of this vital information. It's hard enough going through the loan/refinance process, but to have to deal with someone over the phone that is rude is worse. All of you have saved me from making a big mistake - thanks again.
 18th of Apr, 2011 by   jws2011 0 Votes
I am an experienced mortgage banker for a national lender based half way across the country. I have no affiliation with Semper, I don’t know anyone who works there, and don’t know much about the company. I came across this blog on a google search. I had goggled them because they appeared as one of the fastest growing companies in inc magazine.

To the first poster I say this… your loan officer should have called you back but he did nothing wrong and does not owe you a refund for your appraisal. The appraisal was paid to an independent company, not the lender, and the lender has no responsibly to assure you appraisal comes in at the value you estimated. It would actually be illegal and unethical if they even discussed what value you were looking for with the appraiser. Bottom line, your house wasn’t worth what you thought, and based on the lower value your interest rate ended up being higher. That is how it works . I would even go as far to say you were lucky they didn’t just deny your loan and send you on your way. Some banks don’t even offer loan if you have as little equity as you do.

To a consumer who might be reading this, don’t let this post keep you from seeking a refinance at this lender or any other. If you want to protect yourself make sure you give your loan officer an accurate estimate of your houses value. Even if you are not sure though, the $375-$550 investment in an appraisal can mean lower payments for years and years to come. Many times it is worth it.
 16th of Jun, 2011 by   Prince Deekay 0 Votes
An unhappy customer is just an unhappy customer. No matter how terrible the outcome is, a good customer relations could at least make the customer not feeling like he/she is ripped, scammed, deceived, misled, mistreated or whatever.

Although I don't totally agree with the complaint for not getting the desired outcome as this type of services always result in different outcome depending on an individual’s status, I don't think I would pursue a finance solution with a company that treat a customer with an utmost disrespect.

To further that cause, A NOTHING BUT A HIGHLY PROFESSIONAL CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER WHO REPRESENTS A COMPANY OF PROFESSIONAL CARING WORKERS decided to show us how far they’ll go to make sure their work is highly professional. I wonder if this Willie is still hanging down there. I mean, what would you do, if you were the President of that company and saw such a post made to the public by one of your supposedly professional caring worker in such a “professional” manner?

The last person who posted before me almost 2 months ago sounds like he either works for Semper and wants to defend his company’s wrongdoing or he’s just a prime example of what you see on a daily basis in our lives. This is exactly how they feel, people. Just like this guy, they all think they’re “helping” you, so they want you to just shut up and stop whining because they’re trying to give you some moneys. Of course, I’m only being sarcastic and stereotypically targeted all of them who work in this profession, so don’t lose your hope of ever meeting a truly professional financial advisor who could actually make your effort worthwhile.
 16th of Jun, 2011 by   Prince Deekay 0 Votes
Oh, by the way, it's funny to see how they keep sending me the letter for refinancing my house in North Carolina to my address of my current residence which is an apartment in Virginia. It's kind of creepy in a way to see this happening since this could only mean that these firms are getting my credit reports without my knowledge that they're getting them. I'm sure I'm not the only one getting these offers, so does that mean they are getting these information in bulk from the credit reporting bureaus? Do Experian/Equifax/TransUnion sell these credit reports in bulk to these financial institutes? I know Facebook says they have the right to sell every pieces of information people post, so I never post anything on Facebook, but how can I prevent my credit report from being distributed without my knowledge or consent?
 21st of Jun, 2011 by   Prince Deekay 0 Votes
I found out that you can Opt-out of receiving these "precreened" offers by either calling 1-888-5-OPT-OUT (1-888-567-8688) or go to web site http://www.optoutprescreen.com/ to exclude yourself for interim period (5 years) or permanently from receiving these annoying SPAM mails.
 22nd of Jun, 2011 by   Msecuro +1 Votes
I have been with Semper since day one. I quit my job as a bank vice president to help the owner of Semper build a first class company. So I think that I can safely comment on what has been said by some of the posters. First of all, I am aware of the loan that had the appraisal and the loan officer who handled the file. An unhappy customer is an unhappy customer (I could put their experience in perspective so you'd all get the other side of the story but they know what really happend but I choose to stay out of the mud). In my 30+ years in business I understand that you can't make everyone happy, but that shouldn't stop you from trying. But I won't comment on the customer's complaint because it is one voice in a chorus of mostly happy, dedicated Semper clients. There "bad" experience is an anomoly, not the norm. But I will comment on the "response" by Mr. Casey. First of all, some people type all caps. I hate it. It is considered yelling online. However, that shouldn't necessarily detract from what he was saying although I must stress, HE IS NOT (Was not, he hasn't been here for over 2 years) a spokesman for the company and doesn't represent us. I do. And my word is my bond.
For the last 4 years or more, people have lost about 1/3 of the equity they once had in their home. Every month I recieve more than 50 appraisals that result in values that are less than what is owed on the house. Appraisal companies won't give us an idea of value BEFORE the client agrees to pay the fee because it is ILLEGAL, thanks to our legislators. The last thing I want to do is make appraisers rich for doing appraisals on homes that WE KNOW won't have the value the borrower needs! We used to be able to say "hey, the house has to be worth $200K for this to work, what are the chances? Is it worth doing." Most appraisers would do this for us. It is called "comping" the home. It is now ILLEGAL because of the Home Valuation Code of Conduct (HVVC). This was made law by our brilliant politicians to "protect" the commoners who are too dumb to take care of themselves (or so our government seems to believe).
That being said, I'd like to believe that my loan officers offer the finest customer service in the business. Unfortunately I can't control it 100% so even though I'd like to think it, I know they fail from time to time. But to not decide to give us a try because one or two disgruntled clients had an issue is just not fair to us or TO YOURSELF! We are a very good, very ethical company. Look at our BBB record. Look at our Institute of Business Ethics rating. Or just pick up the phone and call us and see for yourself. We are licensed in over 35 states and are in good standing in each one! We've been audited by the Federal Housing Auhority and were given a rating of A. Check it out on the HUD website.
In closing, I'm proud to be part of Semper. I was instrumental in starting it and growing it to where it is now. I work long hard hours to stay in business and provide the best service I can to anyone who desires our help.
So, if you have a complaint, call me directly, don't just listen to someone's jaded opinion. Decide for yourself. You know, at one time there were people who complained about noisy, stinky automobiles. Thank God that Henry Ford didn't listen or we'd still be picking up horse manure outside our homes.
So be free, don't be swayed by one person's opinion...even mine. But do give me a call. Mike Securo, 860-330-4411. If I'm not in my office, have my secretary find me.
Have an awesome day.
 30th of Jun, 2011 by   JMikeB +2 Votes
I'm just now starting an adventure with Semper. I will post again to say how it goes. I do understand that it is impossible to please "impossible" people. And some people are simply IMPOSSIBLE.
So far... Chelsea has been very nice. I replied to her email and mine got rejected...probably just a glitch... We'll see.
 28th of Jul, 2011 by   Gotchya2008 -1 Votes
Dont you love it when Banker start bonding by ripping off, missleading, lying to BORROWRS... yes this is a big word it should be treated as such ! You are weeling and dealing with people life time investement and you so called financial officers expect the borrowers to just lay down and take it ... As a banker / broker my self I am imbarassed for you idiots...at Semper and who ever support this "Predatory Practice" the bottom line you should disclose to your borrower from the begaining you ability to close this loans and if you have the lender who can funded @ 4.48% it at worst case scenario... mean higher than 85% LTv and a negotiated rate of 4.48% at 85%ltv then get the commitement letter from the lender first only then issue the approval and send the appraisal out and in case the appraisal comeback bad at least you are covered... This proof you are nothing but a bunch of amateurs that MR.Dapaley been victime of.
Here what happend you been dealing with hungry dogs eager to get some business in the door and rip you off, miss lead you, lying to you in the process did he told you that he wife expecting a babee to ?lol
Best advise is pay your house down as much as you can then go do refinance with your curent lender for rate only it is called STREAMLINE REFINANCE no appraisal is required nor credit check nor documentation it might cost you $250 Signing new Note with your existing lender no matter how bad they are!!!
Stop talking to this monkey's and contact your lender first you save lot of head each
 28th of Jul, 2011 by   Prince Deekay -1 Votes
Here is someone who calls others idiots can't even spell right, not to mention the horrible grammar. Last time I checked, non-IE browsers like Firefox checks the spelling as you type. Maybe switching the browser would save you some embarrassment and make you look less of an ass, don't you think? I mean, look at what you typed up. I'm not against the nerd rage here, but if you want to point out something idiotic, then at least try not to look like an idiot doing it.
 28th of Jul, 2011 by   Prince Deekay -1 Votes
Oh, by the way, the warning message just above the Comment text box says:

28th of Jul, 2011 by   Gotchya2008 0 Votes
Awww you are offended by the gramar and the spell check not the lexique ... you must one of them thos idiots pretending to be bankers wait till the DFI get hold of you for predatory practice than you will have lot spell check to do with your attorney... hold on usualy idiots bankers dont have in off business to afford one. :)
 29th of Jul, 2011 by   Prince Deekay -1 Votes
Worreva u sai, brotha!
 11th of Aug, 2011 by   WhitL 0 Votes
By law it is required that we provide several brochures, depending on the loan type, when disclosing mortgages. One of those brochures is "Shopping for Your Home Loan" which is explains all settlement costs and the general mortgage process, "What You Need to Know About Home Equity Lines of Credit" for home equity loans, and "Consumer Handbook on Adjustable-Rate Mortgages" for ARM mortgages. Being a registered Mortgage Loan Originator and loan officer for a non-profit financial institution, I fault both parties in this situation. It seems as if the lender was very unprofessional and vague when explaining the loan process to the consumer. I always explain the process, start to finish, to avoid any problems that may arise along the way and to avoid any miscommunication. However, I also fault the consumer. When you are in school, you are expected to read the material assigned to you in order to learn it. When you shop for a car, obviously you would research different autos to find a best fit for your needs. The same is true with mortgages. Make sure you know every detail and expense and the risk associated with it before jumping out and going with a particular lender. Find out all of the details before you pay any fees out of pocket. Always practice caution when dealing with any lender, and learn all you can on the particulars of whatever loan product you are seeking.
 11th of Aug, 2011 by   Prince Deekay 0 Votes
We're indeed targets of businesses that intend to rip us off when least expected. We need to make sure that we don't fall as a victim of such malpractices. Don't you get it, people? YOU are responsible for not stopping them from committing a crime against you. It's all your fault! Beware the charlatans. They'll do anything to make money and put you in deeper crap while doing it. Learn from your mistakes. Better yet, learn from others who complain about how they failed.
 11th of Aug, 2011 by   Gotchya2008 0 Votes
Ultimately " Semper" loan officer was desperate for new loans and used "bait and switch " on the borrower, this time "Semper" baited the borrower to believe they had the loan for him and in reality they had nothing.
Here is the funny thing when the borrowers come to me to refinance or purchase After I am done with their Income & reserve docs I will make sure they site down still and look at an AVM cost only $5 or MLS finding to determine worst case scenario! and always request an approval at higher LTV than the borrower requested ...once we have the approval from our lenders .and the appraisal come back to expectation or higher...only then again we lower the LTV back to per what the borrower request initially once the appraisal clears to close we lock the loan for couple day's only.
"Semper" is the ultimate symbol of mediocrity this most come from management and the people that pretend been banker or brokers with no structure nor proper protocol or training... If anyone like their job they will master it without no one requests... I did it ...yes it is hard work but it get easier we call that smart work as I am not selling cars that anyone that can get ride off it after 05 years ...rather people life time achievement extra caution is required... so far it made me rich !!!
By law the borrower always a victim even if the borrower him/her self-committing fraud they don't get punished... seen it ... So Finally every one of us think our house is worth a fortune the lender does not look at it that way.. they defined it as a piece of junk that they are going to rub you with it especially when 95% of your payment goes to interest for 20 years to make the rich fatter...that why I encourage people to pay off their homes ASAP than use it to finance the small think in life like a car or tractor or build A stick built shop convenience for the home owner and more value in their pocket.
Yes everyone think how can you make money by telling people this ? Will you save few they will be more to be introduced to you that they need similar help by refinancing at first then help them self on paying the home off!

5 Reports Tracking You