logo

Huff N Puff
Corporate Greed
3. (7 mins ago)
Active Advantage
Active advantage trial membership scam
4. (15 mins ago)
Wrinkles R Us Karen Wilson Eatonville Wa
Bad breeder **just changed her kennel name**
5. (27 mins ago)

Posted:    Louie

Ripped off

Sears Auto
sears.com
Because the Sears Auto at Northlake is within walking distance to our house, we tend(ed) to use them. We have been ripped off on several occasions but always have rationalized this by saying "the auto repari business is a sleazy business".

This last event: WE purchased a diehard battery about 2 years ago. The battery died on a roadtrip. WE were able to obtain a jump- and when I brought it back to Sears- the woman stated that since it was running now- "it probably recharged itself" and "we will have to charge you to test the battery". W/O checking she said it was probably not the battery and was most likely the starter or the alternator (a more costly repair- since the battery was still under warranty). She advised that I drive it and not worry about it. Since it could take up to three hours to check the battery(!!!)

We took the car in for a routine check with a legit auto repair place. He changed the oil (really changed the oil, not pretened to as Sears had done two years previously) and when we picked the car up, he said- "just so you know, your battery is about to go".
Comments United States Cars, Parts & Vehicles
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

9th of Sep, 2009 by   lildata +1 Votes
how does one know "The battery is about to go" ? A battery can be either BAD or GOOD.
 10th of Sep, 2009 by   MoTOrHeAd79 0 Votes
There has been a new type of battery tester that is becoming more commonly used lately. It tests the "life" left in a battery, although in my experience this is not a full test of the batterys condition/capability, with this type of test equipment it is very easy to get a false reading also. This is how many service providers are able to advise a battery is "about to go". Not nessasarily Bad or Good.

With these differences of testing, combined with the potential for a false test, they add to our industry getting the "sleezy business" reputation.

I obviously have no idea as to the status of the battery and vehicles electrical system in question, I can only comment my oppinion and experience in simmilar situations, some of which includes the possibility of the driver leaving the headlights on, or a door adjar, etc. This situation can seriosly shorten the life of a battery.

I am a technitian at a Sears Auto Center and must disclose this and the fact that these are my oppinions and do not represent the veiws and oppinions of SEARS HOLDINGS CORPORATION.

I hope to have been of some help of information, cars are and will continue to be more and more complex, WAIT TILL ALL THE HYBRIDS BECOME TEN YEARS OLD, were really going to have "fun" then.
 29th of Mar, 2010 by   Andrew Perring 0 Votes
I love the little comment about thhe Hybrid cars. lol
But on a more serious note, the customers are Idiots. if a battery dies on you while driving, its either your alternator or belt that may have been stretched over time and is not the corrent lenght anymore and is causing possible slip at times and not charging properly. they probably left their lights on in the car. a bad battery will not become good after a charge. someimes a slow charge may give you another year, but once its low on amps its time to replace. I have a BMW and im a mechanic, I love listening to music in my car, and i hate wasting gas, so a few years ago i used to come to work, and listen to music with the car off.. I figured it would only drain a little power, and once i drove it later that day, it would just charge back up.. well i was wrong, listening to music 10 minutes every morning for maybe 3 months killed the battery. Im a great mechanic, so im told, so i figured i can just charge it.. well i did, it seemed ok, but next morning, there were not enough amps to get the car started.. for the people reading this and dont know about cars..(my car had 12.5 volts which is great, but it had about 100~CCA AND I THINK MY CAR NEEDS LIke 750CCA) so then i thought i need to do a slow charge, and when i got to work, i did, the battery got a nice 9hr chargem, it had about 500 cca, and 12.5 volts. so the car started up and i went home that day. guess what, next morning it was low on amps again so i just ordered a new batt. FYI BMW battery- $175.00 +tax, but after i got the new battery, it worked great.
If your battery is 2 years old and its dead, thats your fault for leaving on lights, leaving doors not fully closed which leave the lights on in the car. or maybe just listening to music with the car off. most likely though, it might have just been a belt or alternator, .

Beware Using Rocklin Gas Station