logo

WWICS
IMMIGRATION SCAM
4. (23 mins ago)
Cincinnati Bell Fioptics
Selling a service and not providing it
5. (24 mins ago)
Canon

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Scotts Lawn Service, Runnemede, New Jersey Complaints & Reviews - Scotts lawn service is crooked

Scotts Lawn Service Contacts & Informations

Scotts Lawn Service

Posted:    Truth Revealer

Scotts lawn service is crooked

Scotts Lawn Service
165 E Ninth Ave
Runnemede, New Jersey
Phone: (856)-312-0480
www.scottslawnservice.com
I actually worked for Scotts Lawn Service, located in Runnemede, NJ. Scotts has been around for years and have built their brand name. However, having worked for the company, I've seen the inside scams that Scotts Lawn Service operates on. Scotts Lawn Service is run by individuals empowered by greed, authority and manipulation. I've witnessed how Scotts Lawn Service hired many individuals off of the street, with no certifications or professional backgrounds, to provide lawn care for hundreds of paying and loyal customers. I also witnessed how some of the technicians would "ghost" a customers lawn. When I use the term "ghost, " I am referring to when a technician pretends to provide service on a customers lawn (whether the customer was at home or not) and deceptively leaves them a bill! I found this outrageous, as there were tons of calls from customers wondering why weeds were still growing on their lawns, their lawns were dying and turning brown, or even new problems would surface on their lawns. Scotts Lawn Service denied many refunds, credits, corrective services, etc, to deserving customers who DID NOT get what they were paying for.

The management staff running Scotts Lawn Service knew what was taking place, yet they sat by idlely and watched as customer service battled with upset customers, while throwing the "Service Agreement" in the customers' faces and quoting things that the customer did not really understand to begin with. All every customer wanted, was a good-looking, green lawn, like Scotts Lawn Service promised in the beginning through deceptive advertising.

Overall, many customers who trusted Scotts Lawn Service, where cheated out of their money. And, in this rough economical time, the last thing anyone needs is "lawn care." I witnessed, first-hand, how greedy and "shady" of a company Scotts Lawn Service has become. I sincerely hope that they are put out of business for their lawn care scams.

There was even a case that was conducted by the EPA, which identified Scotts Lawn Service as not properly registering some of their lawn care products. The staff at the Scotts Lawn Service branch in Runnemede, NJ, were told to follow a script to persuade customers that there was no real concern. Consequently, working for the company, I knew that there was something wrong.

The actuality of the EPA situation, was that Scotts Lawn Service formulated a harsher chemical to try to deal with some lawn issues, as a result of some ineffective products. Scotts intentionally did not register the product(s) in an attempt to "test" their effectiveness on lawns. Scotts was hoping that they would not get caught... but they did. However, they found a legal way to elude the accusation against them.

For all those who use Scotts Lawn Service, I suggest you leave them now because they are simply stealing your money. They do not care for lawns the way they used to years ago and they have a staff of people who do not care. All they seem to care about is money, and the staff of Scotts Lawn Service are trained to get you to believe whatever they want. I no longer work for Scotts Lawn Service and I am grateful. To this day, I believe that the Scotts Lawn Service branch in Runnemede, NJ continues to operate this way.

Consequences:

After the EPA issue was discovered, all of a sudden many customers were calling the Scotts Lawn Service office where I worked, to complain about their lawns being "burnt-looking." Lawns were said to be completely dead, after they were better off before they were treated by Scotts Lawn Service.

The unregistered Scotts Lawn Care products seems to have destroyed many lawns throughout the Delaware Valley. The Scotts Lawn Service branch located in Runnemede, NJ was even receiving calls from customers of the Scotts Lawn Service branch in Delaware.

The customers calling from Delaware, were complaining about the same things and the staff of the Delaware branch were evading calls and sending them to Runnemede, NJ, where the scam was to be addressed. The management staff knew exactly what was going on and were only focused on protecting the company's assets, rather than doing the right thing for it's loyal and dedicated customers.

For customers of the Scotts Lawn Service branch, located in Runnemede, NJ, here is a set of individuals to contact to cancel your service or address your concerns:

Serina Miller - Customer Service Supervisor

Josh Willey - Branch Manager

James Boughton - Field Supervisor

I sincerely hope that the information that I've provided helps stop the consumer scamming from Scotts Lawn Service.

Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

29th of Oct, 2008 by   The Man -4 Votes
you have no clue what you are talking about, Scotts is a wonderful company and has great service along with very experianced technitians, also i hear great things about them from customers, it would be very wrong to ghost lawns and Scotts has zero tolerance for such things, also Scotts is very prompt at completing service calls and credits to accounts, overall it is a great company . I work for Scotts and also am a loyal customer my lawn is weed free .
 10th of Apr, 2009 by   Lawn man -2 Votes
I work for Scott's lawn service in Runnemede an we are a great company we do things the way our customers ask we take our job sersiouly there is something wrong with you maybe you got fired for not being a good employee and is just mad you lost your job . If you want a green lawn that is healthy choose Scott's
 26th of Apr, 2009 by   Lawn Guy +2 Votes
I work for Scotts in the Tri-State area of NY.. They hired me with no lawn care experience, made me watch a few hours of videos on truck operation, a video on how to push a spreader and the dangers of the chemicals we use. The next day we went with a veteran tech on the road (2 years on the job) in the pouring rain to do Lime applications. I questioned why we even did this in the rain since the Lime turns to mud and jams the hopper and makes it near impossible to apply correctly when we are charging $200 for a lawn application ($10 bags of lime). The Tech told me we work rain or shine to make money, even in bad weather when treatments will not be effective. After the first day I was on my own with no knowledge of lawn care to be a "service tech".

In the first week I seen them hire a few guys, most quit after a week when they see the Scam that Scotts runs on its employees along with the customers. You see Scott has its Tech's on a salary type system of $500 and change a week, they give the line that it pays off when you work less than 40 hours and still get that same base salary, though the senior tech told me that never happens and expect to work 60-70 hours a week, 6 days a week. Now before you say that is great overtime think again, since they pay you salary they get out of the time and a 1/2 laws and pay you half rate that comes out to about $6 an hour when you go over 40 hours. That is why they never complain about Techs being out all day (10-12 hours) getting as many jobs done, they are only paying you half rate! What a bargain and the bonus system is a scam also, you have Techs given a goal of say 1200 bucks say(the price of each customers job added up to 1200) so you have Techs "ghosting" or doing half azz jobs on your lawns to finish the goal to get that little bonus and get to go home before the sun goes down.

In the time I been with the company I seen its all about Greed, how to make money off the suckers who think they are getting "professional" lawn service with water downed products you can buy at home Depot and save a huge amount of money. This company has to be the worse to work for, and I worked in Retail and places like Walmart are country clubs compared of the crap this place pulls. All I have to say is beware if you are a customer, the stories of Techs dumping bags of product in the woods to make it look like they did the job happens all the time and the "ghosting" when you are not home saying they did the lawn application happens all the time.

My suggestion, make sure you are on the "Must call list" and be home when the service is done, less chance a half azz ghost job will be done. Also tell them no applications in the rain to be put on the bill. If you get tree and shrub service use a tree service, Scotts has screwed up so many tree's and shrubs with screwed up applications that killed everything.

Go ahead and call me a liar for the managers who post the pro-Scotts garbage, this is the truth from what I see as a "trained" tech.
 11th of May, 2009 by   m8kmida +6 Votes
My son recently started working for Scott's. It's terrible work, exposure to the chemicals is unavoidable, the pay is terrible, they dock your commission if you make any mistake, you always work 40 hrs, even in bad weather, as they will make you do cold calls to drum up business when you aren't out working. Because the route given to the workers is inefficient, 4 hours on the road is common, and then they expect you to complete all of your jobs, and then do paperwork once you get back, entailing 12-13 hr days, 6 days a week, where overtime is paid at less then $4 an hour.
 17th of May, 2009 by   Mike B +5 Votes
Be careful on talking about the company, if they find out you question policy and the way they exploit workers with the overtime and long hours you will be labeled a "trouble maker" and bad for the moral of the shop. It got so bad in keeping people at our branch we had to turn to temp agencies to get people to work, even in this economy a job making a grand a week for 60-70 hours of work with forced 1/2 rate overtime is not keeping lawn techs. We officially have 4-5 techs who actually know what a weed is, the rest are kids who are just dumping products on lawns and spraying dangerous pesticide and insecticides all over your property. I worked in unions in the past and made a comment about this is the reason why workers organize and now I am officially on the "watch" list and getting audited at jobs all the time all of a sudden. Why is Scotts afraid of unions? Maybe because forcing workers to come in on Sat's when they are already at 55 hours, not giving us respirators or proper safety equipment when spraying insecticides/pesticides and actually having a manager suggest that you not to wear safety masks and respirators because it "scares" the customer. (I swear to God!)
 31st of Aug, 2009 by   lwngrl3773 -1 Votes
I certainly will not believe the word of a former employee...come on...did you really think anyone would?
 14th of Feb, 2010 by   brbgrasslover -2 Votes
Okay people seriously? First off let me just say that I AM a current employee and have been for sometime., and Scotts is a great company. for everyone above who is saying there is no training, think again my friends. All of our employees are STATE LICENCED AND CERTIFIED technicians. We all go thru a 2 week training period of just learning how the day to day operations work, along with how to safely administer Scotts products. There are different degrees of certifications that MUST be obtained by ANYONE applying ferts, incecticides, fungicides, and especially PESTICIDES (seperate licences all in its self).
So there is NEVER an unqualified employee on your lawn. We even have to take a STATE MANDATED TEST before we can even think about touching a lawn by ourselves. We all know that Scotts products are the best money can buy, PERIOD. Thats all i ever used before i started with the company.. Scotts TurfBuilder ... great product. We all know that, but whats funny, is that people think its 100% guaranteed to make your lawn PERFECT. WRONG!!! the products help your lawn get the proper amount of nutrients for a better looking lawn. There are billions of seeds in your soil, including weed seeds. If you are properly feeding your lawn EVERYTHING is gonna grow. A weed is a grass. Thats where the WORK comes in. Anyone can make grass green, buut not everyone can build a healthy lawn that is weed free. There are many products out there for weeds, but scotts company actually owns the rights to the famous ORTHO WEED B GONE.. i know we all know that product.. best in the business. We need to administer the problem weeds and kill them off as needed. it is a year long process, but if you keep up with it, your lawn will have less and less weeds every year because your lawn is healthy and naturally keeping weeds out because the grass "owns' the yard, not the weeds!.. And for your trees and shrubs, Scotts also owns MIRACLE GROW. That is the best in the world probably right? Very good product that every body uses(even grandma). The fact is, if someone feels like they need to bash a company, its probablly because they werent educated on how the process works. We DO NOT HAVE ANY CONTRACTS TO SIGN AND YOU CAN CANCEL AT ANY TIME.. we earn your business one service at a time with our Scotts guarantee, that if you are not COMPLETELY satisfied(within reason, cant lay sod down if you have grubs and didnt buy grub protection application) we will come out and address any issue that you have within 48hours FREE OF CHARGE. now Im not saying some "shady shit" doesnt happen, i dont know. I know the franchise i work for take GREAT PRIDE in being the best. Just because there have been a couple "bad apples" dont let them ruin the whole bunch. Scotts is a really good company with the best products available. and I use to sell cars and let me tell you... THERE IS NO BETTER COMPANY TO WORK FOR let me break it down for you: We get a weekly salary of 425.. we also get a certain amount per sale (if you are in sales).. we also get a production bonus(if you are a tech)... heres the hours.. january to march is whats called a "reject campaigne".. we call previous people that has told us no in the past or who have said that the price ws too much or had another company, and wee call them and try to earn their business for the upcoming season. we NEVER cold call, these are peole who have shown interest in our product and services and now we offer great discounts to get them on board with our company. those hours are typically 9-5, but if you hit yourdaily goal as a team you can leave early, we usually leave around 3. so i still get paid full amounts. come march to may is the really busy time OBVIOUSLY. its spring time. we work 12 hour or so days and we do get paid overtime for those days:
if i made 600 $ this week and i worked 60 hrs... that come out to 10 $/hr...
normal 40 hr wk at 10$/hr is 400..okay?... now at time and a half would be 15 $/hr for the remaining 20 hrs i worked... 15 x 20 =300 $... thats a total of 700 $ on your paycheck... EVEN THOUGH you only sold or produced 600 bucks worth.. i would take 700 over 600 Any day.. then comes the rest of the season, once fall comes and we complete our programs, we usually do some equipment repair and things around the shop.. andeven if we dont work 40 hours, we still get paid our salary of 425 a week.. and come december we do some training again and some product knowledge to get better for the next season we dont lay people off like our competetors, and come before christmas we get our annual bonus (which truly ranges from 1500 to 7000$).. its true.. i made $3763.42 last bonus and i worked my ass off for it.. if you do your job, you reep the benefits... and right before christmas til after the new year we get paid off vacation.. thats a week and a half PAID vacation... plus we get an additional weeks vacaction paid off during the year (just cant take it during prime time) ...the fact of the matter is.. JUST MAKE YOUR OWN MIND UP.. it is a great company who offer full medical and dental and vision and TAKE GREAT PRIDE IN OUR SERVICES AND OUR PEOPLE(customers).. WE LOVE GRASS!!! THATS IT.. WE LOVE OUR CAREERS AND WE LOVE HELPING PEOPLE BUILD A NICE LAWN THAT THE WHOLE FAMILY CAN LOVE. WE ARE SCOTTS AND WE LOVE IT!!
 9th of Apr, 2010 by   umnbr1 +3 Votes
I really wish I would have read these stories before I started working for Scotts. I worked a season a for Sc otts in Michigan in 2009. They find every way possible to cheat you our out of commission in order to pay you $3-$5 /hr for overtime pay. If you are new and make any little mistake on a lawn they will take all your commission for the week. So if you worked 70 hours you would make your base pay of $460 for the week and then $3-$4 an hour for the 30 hours of overtime! If anyone calls the number on the back of the truck to complain about your driving they will also take your commission. They won't even listen to the explination. They also make you do paperwork and phone calls when you get done with a 10 hour day on the lawn which takes an extra hour. There is no way to get commission while doing the calls so you are making $3-$4 an hour again for that time. The whole system is a scam to make money off of the employee and give nothing back. My advice----- DON'T WORK FOR SCOTTS LAWN SERVICE UNLESS YOU'RE DESPERATE FOR A JOB!!!
 9th of May, 2010 by   ScottsLawntech +4 Votes
Don't drink the Kool-Aid, I am a current Scott's employee and the horror stories are 100% true. This season they are raising the techs goals to cut back on that commission, so now a tech has to make more of a goal just to come back to the shop, if not they will be forced out to finish no matter how late it is. Do you think your tech is going to do a good job rushing to make goal? Do you wonder why he does your lawn in 10minn flat? This is why, they are forcing us to do poor quality work, we can't even talk to the customer in fear of falling behind in the day.
The great pay? They still have Techs in the CT/Boston area at the $580 rate and hiring new people off the street at the new $640 rate per week. What kind of a company treats a veteran employee like that, keeping him at a lower rate than new hires? You question them why am I not bumped up to the new rate and get "well, you fell in under the old rates and we don't have to raise your pay", imagine that. What a great Company, a company that only survives off it's name. If they did not have the Scott's. Ortho and Miracle grow name they would be in trouble.
Now back to the great job, also this season they are making you a salesman and not paying you the sales wages. They now say you have to make a sale a week on the road or be forced to work Sat at 1/2 rate pay, about $8 an hour. That is right: higher goals, require truck sales, keeping you at a lower rate than your brand new co-worker, poor training and safety equipment and this clown above says its's a great job?
Great benefits? Yea, if you want to pay an arm and a leg and have the health insurance company charge you an extra $75 a week for being "unhealthy". The Chinese overtime system, 1/2 rate pay for over 40 hours. In our branch alone last year 75% of all new hires never made it the season, they quit and went to other companies.
Beware you Scott's management goons, the truth is getting out, the illegal dumpings behind shops, the customer scams and the labor violations. The tech's in this company are getting fed up and organized, this is why unions form.

To the customers, hire small local companies. It's not that we don't want to do quality work, we are forced to rush and do poor quality. Until the employees have a voice, safe working conditions and bargaining rights this will not change.
 11th of May, 2010 by   segn66 0 Votes
I have been working for Scotts for about 6mos. What I have to say is to basically all lawn service companies. For one TruGreen should be out of business. Scotts is the only company that makes their own products. Products so good that they sell all over the world. When is the last time you went a hardware or lawn store and saw Trugreen products-never, because their stuff comes ultimately from overseas like China or Mexico. Can Scotts guarantee that everyone of their employees will act appropiately ? No, but that's not a Scotts problem its a people problem. What I do know is that the Techs we have at my branch go through hell just to get trained and certified...and yes they do work long hours. If you want a nicve lawn, Scotts can do everything for you. We can't be there and water it and mow like we instruct and ppl are having residue weed problems then we come out within 48hrs of a complaint. It does no good to complain that you had weeds all season and now your pissed. Call us when you see the freakin weeds.
In any account calling Scotts services a scam is just wrong and unfair. And to those "old" employees- I wouldnt even repeat one of your stories, because you have no crediblility.
Remember, Yes Scotts is a Company with guarantees, but in the end we are human.
 28th of Jul, 2010 by   JustHonest +3 Votes
Let me just say that I am deeply educated in all of the ins and outs of Scotts Lawn Service. Do not work here! The goals are extremely high, and there is no way to do the applications using the Best Application Practices that are supposed to be mandatory, but still hitting the goals. It is supposed to be a simple mathematical equation. It should take you one minute to treat 1000 sq. ft.. There should be no variation here as the training even requires you to have your walking speed timed if done correctly. So, if you are doing things correctly, an average 8, 000 square foot lawn must take you 8 minutes to treat, or 16 minutes if you are making 2 passes. Since it is also policy to knock on every door and speak to every customer who is home, you can add 2 minutes there on average. It is also policy to write a detailed personal note to each customer, and to blow off every driveway, sidewalk, and patio. So add another 3 minutes on average. So if you are doing things the way that you are supposed to, you can not treat an average lawn in under 13 minutes, and it may take 21 minutes if you are making 2 passes. Let's call it 15 minutes minimum on average to allow for drive time.

So in an hour, you can do 4 lawns, and in 8 hours you can do 24 lawns. The average lawn price is $52. 52 x 24=1248. Then remember, you must allow for time to drive to the route and back to the branch, and time for lunch. So this is a 10 hour day. So how can a TSR have a goal of 1700, but still be expected to do things the correct way? Easy answer, they can't! There is no way around this people. It is written in policy that 1000 sq. ft. must take 1 minute to treat.. To add to the problem, many new customers get their first app for $25.00

So what happens is, the regionals put pressure on the GM's who put pressure on the BM's, who put pressure on the SM's, who put pressure on the TSR's to do whatever they have to do to hit the outrageous goal. Managers must turn a blind eye to ghosting, incorrect applications, illegal mixing of products, etc. in order to hit goals. Managers are even encouraged to hold off on disciplinary actions during key months like September(end of the fiscal year) because no Branch can afford to loose anyone, even if they are ghosting. As a TSR, all that matters is that you hit your goal. Everything else can be forgiven.

To the above poster, who said that all TSR's are licensed, please understand that in most states, this is not the case. You clearly work in a state where the Department of Ag requires that all applicators must have a license, but most states do not require this. Most states allow TSR's to work under the umbrella of the Branch license. So in many cases, a TSR recieves a day of videos and a day or 2 of ride a longs before they are set free to treat on their own. Trust me, this happens often all across the country.

The half pay situation is simply almost criminal, as is the Service Qualifier ploicy, which is used to pull bonuses because of mistakes. All of these problems (crazy goals, half pay, taking bonuses) just started at Scotts around 4 or 5 years ago when business people (the MBA's) took over at the top and the green industry vets were removed from the leadership of SLS. It was not always like this. Goals used to be much lower and people used to be paid more fairly. Decisions were made based on what was right, but now it is all about what will make more money. Even the use of liquid fert has become common after Scotts berated other companies for years for using liquid fert.

This company is getting worse every year and I won't be surprised if the division is sold off soon.
 22nd of Aug, 2010 by   Steve ATL GA  Best Advice +6 Votes
SCOTTS Sucks. I will send you photos of my yard after 18 months of service, Crabgrass, nutedge, thin gradd and just plain dead grass. THEY SUCK, SUCK, SUCK. Is that disgruntled enough for you. Forget employees, all companies have good and bad ones, but to ignore customers and not return calls, not show up and say you have. It took me complaining up to the SE regional manager for GA to get rid of my weeds in 3 weeks time, but no work on replacing the 1/2 acre of dead grass in my yard. By the way did I say they SUCK.
 29th of Sep, 2010 by   Art Vandelay +4 Votes
I started my Scott's service earlier this year. Had a tech come out and measure the property to calculate the cost of a regular service. The guy walked with his measuring stick around the entie perimeter of the property. Came back with a price which I thought was decent for completely worth it for the promise of a greener and thicker lawn. Throughout the service, my yard has gone from bad to worse. My entire front lawn is nothing but brown dead grass. I called numerous times throughout the service period and got the same rude asshole who not only would not listen to my concerns, but pretty much acted as if he had more important things to do. I asked to be called before the next tech came out and of course, no call. I'm cancelling my service with Scott's and going with a local lawn care provider. All Scott's Lawn Service is doing is riding on the name Scott's to dupe customers out of their hard earned money. These jokers have no clue what they're doing. Awful service STAY AWAY!!!
 2nd of Nov, 2010 by   Annette F. +5 Votes
I KNEW it! We've used Scots for way too long...5+ years. We've since cancelled their service because I got charged for a service that neither me nor my husband ever requested. I called three times to speak to someone and they said we tried calling back. Lie. I work in a very small office, they NEVER called. And I NEVER requested it.

Before I cancelled, I got a call one morning to do the standard treatment. I took a quick shower (less than 5 minutes), went out to the driveway to pick up the newspaper, and there was the invoice. There is NO WAY they could have serviced our yard. We have a large yard. Even if the guy was sitting at my door when the phone rang, it is IMPOSSIBLE! You could'nt even walk the perimeter of our yard in less than 10 minutes. Our yard has not looked good for several years, but I just blamed the dry summers, even though we are good at watering, it just looked bad.

I will NEVER use Scots's again, and if any family/friend asks for recommendation, it will be anyone other than Scots.
 4th of Nov, 2010 by   That One Guy +3 Votes
I work for scotts in pittsburgh and all things here are true. And scotts does not make the products we use at sls here. They are made by another company and the scotts label is on the bag. The products are made cheaply and are not effective. the company is not worried about grass or making it look good. it is worried about making money, its all about greed. customers are sold services that they do not need, and services that are redundant. This season our fertilizer was contaminated in some way and our applications began burning and killing lawns. These products were also causing rashes and blisters when in contact with your skin. the sales department is full of idiots who either know nothing or just talk out of there behinds for som other reason. They lie to customers just to make a sale. Customers were being told that our technicians were going to apply a gel weed control product that would eliminated tougher to control weeds such as wild violets with one application. Oh and this gel weed control would be painted, yes painted with a paint brush, directly onto the leaves of the violets. This does not happen and this product does not exist. Everything in this complaint about New Jersey is 100% true about pittsburgh. I also remember the EPA issues with the products. My manager called me in the field and told me to stop using these products immediatley and he came to pick them up in his truck and I was given a script to tell customers as well. Technicians are not trained well at all. Actually they arent trained AT ALL. A couple hours of videos a day or two of ride alongs and off you go as a well trained technician on your own. SLS is a complete JOKE. Customers are ripped off EVERY SINGLE DAY. Th company does not repair or make up for mistakes its people make. They blow people off until they give up trying to get what they need. It is NOVEMBER and they are giving people round 4 lawn treatments. We did these in July and august. Last season we were layed off and scotts withheld our wage information from the unemplyment office so we couldnt even get paid for MONTHS. Since I have worked at scotts the goals have gone up more every single year, the company's profits have gone up every single year, yet my paychecks seem to decrease slightly every year. For those of you who say this is a good company and a good place to work maybe you work in a differnt part of the company or maybe your market is different or maybe your just naive. This company is a joke and a scam and customers are beginning to understasnd that and are going to take their hard earned money elsewhere and I will seek other employment. i have no wish to compromise my morals for lies and greed any longer.
 14th of Dec, 2010 by   tim dodds -2 Votes
Hello, I am a former scotts lawn service employee .I would just like to say the negative things said about this company are not true .If a employee from Scotts is suspected of "ghosting a lawn or lawns our office manager would get a copy of this persons route and follow the suspect around for several days with out telling anyone he was there.If the person was caught doing anything wrong they were terminated on the spot .The customers on the rout in question have there lawns inspected by the branch manager and if the lawns were not up to par with Scotts standurd the customers recieved as many free services as it took to make it right .The training I received at scotts was better then you would believe .I learned the names of all the different kinds of grasses .I also learned what grasses grew naturally in what reagions of the country and how to identify them .Most importantly I learned the different ways to treat the grasses in detail .We learned to identify every kind of weed in the book .Also how to treat crabgrass and other stubburn unwanted grasses, and weeds that needed special attention .We had access to every scotts product we needed to do the job as well as we possibly could .My branch manager Kit Rowe made the condition of his customers lawns priority number one .While working for this company I grew to love the art of lawn service, and tree and shrub care .I have not worked there for several years but, I still to this day hold the knowledge to create a lawn masterpiece .Don't let someone elses personal issues and there bad experence speak for the entire company .As long as people like Kit continue to work for Scotts I have full confidence in Scotts . Thanks TD FROM Char.
 20th of Dec, 2010 by   Ellis in MA +4 Votes
I have to put my 2cents in as an current Scotts lawn tech for the past 4 years in the MA area. Its getting worse being a tech for this company. It seems things have went downhill fast and the customers are starting to see what this company is about, the $$$ and poor service. The above post by Tim I will comment on, ghosting is common in this company and the company knows all about it. In fact they are the ones who breed the shortcuts made by techs by having daily goals that are impossible to get in a day. "JustHonest" above described it better than me, they have raised the goals every year and given the techs more customers, longer travel and with the $29.99 sales and service calls majority of techs are doing fast, poor work and in some cases ghosting parts of the lawns. We are told don't even come back without the goal or you will be sent out till it gets dark (6am till dark in the summer is like 7-8pm). We don't get overtime, this great company flirts with labor laws and uses the 1/2 rate pay over 40hrs (Chemlawn does the same thing). They had us making more sales this season, more weekends and went thru more techs and customer cancels then I ever seen in all my years here. Its getting bad, and agree with the post above that said Scott's may get rid of the SLS soon. You have managers taking advantage of techs by slave driving them to higher numbers so they themselves get 10k bonus last year and we are lucky to see $800.
Tim, you been out of the company for a bit, so don't tell the dozens of current and past recent employees here that we all have "personal issues" with the company. I take pride in my work and with my customers, when I question why they want me to push insect treatments to early, weed control in the rain, pesticide treatment on a day we had 5 inches of rain or doing an aero and seeding in early august in 90 degree weather with 2 year old seed I am told to do it, or look for another job. On the Aero and seeding note, they started early this season in the middle of heat wave in august so they can make the fiscal year numbers before the end of sept. What happen? 90% of the customers had no germanation (bad seed plus heat).. we lost so many customers on that one.
 29th of Dec, 2010 by   Justhonesttoo +4 Votes
Scotts has recently started to make most new hires in some states just seasonal help with little to no benefits. They are also laying off almost everyone during the winter now. I am telling you that they are probably going to sell the division soon. I have a credible source that has told me that this a very real possibility to happen very soon.

That is why all of these shortcuts have gotten worse over the last couple of years. It is all about driving up the top line and cutting costs. The fertilizer is now being made by Knox Fertilizer and Andersons and not Scotts because it is cheap. The fertilizer is crap. The goals are too high. The management is a joke. When they got rid of Mark Long and his team at the top of the SLS leadership chain a few years back, the "green industry" idea went right out the window. It is now just an industry that is about screwing customers and making money. They now just look for the cheapest product and use the cheapest possible employee and hope that the brand name is enough to fool people.

If you are a technician, look for another job.
If you are a customer, fire Scotts now!
 27th of Feb, 2011 by   JIMMYDEANER +4 Votes
Well I must say I agree 100 percent with the negatives of Scotts..I'm a current lawn tech in PA.. I was hired last year and I have hated it ever since and cannot wait to find another job.. The company does all they can to screw you over and pay you less. As most everyone else has said they raise the payout goals so you cant make commision and then make you work 6days a wk 60 hrs and you still dont get crap.. It is completely unbelievable how this company gets away with this.. I am embarrassed to go to lawns when they FORCE us to apply treatments in terential rain and even if the lawn is completely burned out in the middle of the summer.. They DO NOT care about the customer and their lawn, all they care about is making the techs treat as many lawns as posssible and paying them as little as possible.. Oh and this year we were one of the highest earning branches and we received a total of 46 dollars for our bonus.. What a freaking joke.. Oh and also the company will make you go to some field out in the middle of nowhere and spray your entire tanks of liquid so they dont have to pay to have this removed at the end of the year.. And ppl wonder why there lawns look poor, its because the techs are forced to do way more than what should be done in a day.. If it was lower, we could take our time.. For anyone who does gets Scotts, I reccomend telling the salesman you want to pay what the price scale says for your size lawn.. Salesman will underprice and undersize your lawn so they can make the sale and you think you are getting a good deal, but really, when we see this, bc of our high goals we just fly through your lawn cutting as many corners as possible.. People whose lawns are priced correctly will atleast get a better rushed job.. And I can say that this is true for pretty much all techs in our branch.. For those reading this who are technicians, we really need to form or join a union because this is just truly criminal how we are treated and paid.. Then again, I just need to get out of this company.. THEY ARE A JOKE
 28th of Mar, 2011 by   Danoooo -1 Votes
I think you guys with the complaints are just lazy people that Scotts fires or doesnt want around. I work at Scotts in NJ an I love the job they constantly teaching us new things about lawns i make 900 a week with overtime and sales. Its a good paying job and has good benefits. Of course with anything you gunna have unhappy customers or employees its not for everyone and for lawns that look like crap usually its not the tech majority of it is people dont water or dont wanna spend money on grub control or other diseases they might have and then they wonder what happened. Of course some techs are going to be lazy nbot do good job but then they eventually get caught and are gone but thats like any job or service you might get there always a bad apple in everything.

Scam E-mails