Awful everything

Sams Club
I have been a member of Sams Club for over 3 years and a die-hard shopper of both Sams Club and Walmart Stores. This morning, I went to my local Sams Club Warehouse and was told to leave because I was not a 'business member.' Apparently they have this policy of only business members shopping before 10 am.

I have gone into this warehouse many times before 10 am and no one has ever mentioned this to me before, much less kicked me out. The greeter told me to talk to the manager and pointed to a lady who was walking away from the front door to the check out's (She was a manager of some sort) She heard me mention (as I said it loud enough) that this was not very customer or member friendly to deny a paying member the opportunity to shop!

She continued to walk away as if she didn't care that there was a customer service issue at hand. It should make no difference what type of member (business or personal) that you may happen to be, any store(membership or otherwise) should not turn away business.

It is bad enough that we have to endure their long lines at the checkouts because they don't want to hire more people to checkout members. We usually have to wait an average of 15 mins. to get checked out and they thank us by kicking us out because we go into their store early? What's wrong with this picture?

I am cancelling my membership and will not be shopping at Sam's or Walmart Stores ever again and I will be encouraging everyone I know to do the same. Walmart & Sams may be the largest retailer in the world but they have the worst customer (no) service in the industry!

Complaint comments Comments (24) Complaint country United States Complaint category Department Stores
Was the above complaint useful?

3rd of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes

Sams Club - No cust. service
608 Southwest 8th St
Phone: 888-903-7267

Jason Tillo must be an employee of Sam's Club or Walmart. It shows due to his lack of constructive feedback and greater strength of simply criticizing others. Please keep in mind that a good majority of employees at both Sam's Club and Walmart have no more than a high school diploma and work for minimum wage for a good portion of their lives. They do not have the educational expertise to deal with customer service and act appropriately.
 7th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes

Sams Club - No customer service
Sams Club

ordering the wednesday pre thanksgiving sale, there was NO way to order, get the correct pricing when ordering or to get an email or phone number from the website. I order about 20K or items yearly and this is bad!
 27th of Jan, 2009 by    +1 Votes
The home office ties the store employee's hands. It is poor customer service, or your job. I can assure you, Sears, is much worse. I left Sam's to go to Sears and was there only three months, before leaving to start my own business.

Sam's Club tries its best to relate to the common member. It is tough to have perfect service when you have High Paid Members and Middle Eastern Clients that do their very best to take advantage of the system. That is that they find a way to cheat. When we, as managers, try to do something about it, we are over-ridden by the General Manager, so that the end of year bonus is not hurt.

My GM made a $90, 000.00 and the other managers in the store got nothing... With this I hope that you know that 99% of the folks that work on the customer service side cannot make decisons that mess with the bottom-line. Greed motivates the GM and intimidation motivates the subordinates.

The best, Sam's Club, I worked in is in Franklin, TN.
The Worst Sam's Club I worked in is in Madison, TN.
The Madison Club was full of racist blacks and folks that would not work. As a manager trying to motivate the employees it was tough. The hourly employees would make up stories to tell the District Manager. In turn the DM would do what is called a RedBook. That is a complaint the goes all the way to corporate.

I returned from a tour in Iraq as a medic and went right back to work 6 days after being released from active duty. I never saw so much disfunction in an organization. The DM took me from the Franklin Club and put me in the worst club in TN. I was suffering from PTSD severely which did not help.

I did not click with hourly folks telling me what to do. It was an insult to the Nth degree. Here I am, college, retail and combat experience being told what to do by hourly employees. "Or they were going to tell the DM".

Get rid of the monsters, or take control of the monsters and we can all have an amicable environment at Sam's Club. I hope you continue your patronage. Get the stores GM involved and I am sure they will look up your histor, as a Member, or give you the information to get antoher receipt. The GM makes the decisions in the store. If that does not get you anywhere, contact corporate.

Seeing that your items are marked down, so the club can change their seasonal settings, after thirty days, is not rational. You have to be able to accept "no" for an answer. Could you imagine how much money Wal-Mart would lose, if the company did not set parameters? Yes, they are a huge company and that does not help. It only raises the loss exponentionally without checks and balances.

I am sorry that you feel like you were not treated well. I am sure the hourly employee did not mean to make it personal. The manager should have taken over and used the skills, that a manager must have, to deal with the public, to address your situation.
 6th of Mar, 2009 by    -1 Votes
The business membership is actually $5 cheaper than a personal one...
 8th of Mar, 2009 by    +2 Votes
I have been a Sam's member for a lot longer than 3 years. They have ALWAYS had this policy. As a business member, it allows us to purchase things for our stores before opening, etc.

That you hadn't been stopped before is not a fault of their policy, only that the "greeter" who I don't usually see standing right at the front door, managed to check and noticed you are not a business member.

So if you speed 80 in a 55 1000 times and never get caught, then the day that you do get caught, it must just be because of the anal cop who is picking on you.
 2nd of May, 2009 by    +2 Votes
You're really going to cancel your membership because they didn't let you in early? Are you kidding me?! People like you are the reason retail sucks. Csncel your membership and never shop anywhere again; do us all a favor.
 20th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
the rules are the rules.
i don't agree at all with this
just because someone else broke the rules and let you in does not mean that it was right.

you wouldn't go a restaurant before it opened and expect someone to let you in a serve you would you?
don't answer that.
you probably would.
 8th of Nov, 2009 by    +1 Votes
Sam's Club was founded with the object of making it less expensive for SMALL businesses to thrive. In the beginning, the "hoi polloi" was not allowed in at all. It was a true "Club" for small businesses. They still give Business Members the valuable perk of shopping for their businesses BEFORE it gets crowded because they do need to get things done in an efficient manner in order to open their own business.
 16th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes
I'm sorry to hear your concerns were not adequately addressed. You should feel free to seek out a manager (and not assume that they hear you complaining) and discuss it with them. It is company policy that business members have access to the store earlier as they are the target demographic of Sam's Club, the hours are outside the building and on the membership cards. Many stores make one-time exceptions for a member coming in early, if they are unaware of the policy, so that they wouldn't have wasted a trip. Sam's Club values Advantage (personal) Members very much, however this perk for businesses remains in place because of the time challenges that small business owners face.
 12th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
I work at Sam's here in Australia, we dont have membership cards but we do have pain in the ass customers like you! As mishey823 said you are the reason working in retail SUCKS! Why dont you try working there? Find out what its like to work at a shop before you go all high and mighty on their ass!
I quit recently and thank god I did otherwise i would have just killed myself with anger because of all the crap i get from customers who whinge, complain and threaten the staff because they are not able to get what they want. PATHETIC! Yet the reason why they cant get what they want, is totally out of the staff members hands, its all fucking corporate cocksuckers who cant deliever on the shit they promise. Yet us poor staff members take the brunt of the anger while getting shit wages. So when your at a shop next time and you cant get what you want, take a minute to think about what you say rather than go off your head and the nearest staff member because it makes you feel better. You pathetic piece of shit.
 10th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
um ya your retarded I agree with pistol pete. I am currently a Sam's Club employee and from the beginning they trained us that Sam's was exclusively for business members only. They recently opened it up to the general public but still give the business members opportunity to shop before the gp. If they make an exception and let you in they would have to let all the general public in at that time, and that would throw off the business members drastically. So ya don't complain of what you don't know about.
 18th of May, 2010 by    0 Votes
Let me see if I have this right. You go all the time to this store. The hours are posted as you enter. Before 10 only the exit door is open with a sign that says bussiness members only. Now you are mad because they didn't knuckle under because YOU CAN'T READ. 7-10 is not for retail members. It is so they don't have to deal with people like you. GROW UP
 27th of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
 9th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
I too was told to I could not enter a Sam's Club, this one located in Springfield MO. It was 9:40 on a week day morning, I have shopped early hours there before and didnt think anything of it when I saw the lot had several cars in it. I started inside, showing the clerk my card as I walked thru. She stopped me and informed me I couldn't enter unless I was a Plus member. If I wanted to purchase a Plus membership I could continue to the service desk to do so, otherwise I would have to leave. I already pay for my membership. I could understand the concept of "business" hours for companies, earlier than ten, though. I informed the clerk that it was OK, I would just shop somewhere else, and I left. Haven't been back, Sam's doesn't need my business.
 9th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
The store hours are posted right on the front of the building, and it clearly says that the hours before ten am are for business members only. I'll never understand why people feel the need to make someone miserable just because you feel like rules apply to everyone except you. There is nothing more infuriating than assholes like you who have small, insignificant lives and take their problems out on me by yelling at me for doing my job.
 6th of Sep, 2010 by    -2 Votes
Dear moron,

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an inconvenience on the part of Sam's Club. Learn to fucking read. Or better yet, pay 5 dollars less for a business membership that allows you to get in earlier. You pay more to be restricted to coming in later. You are definitely a moron. Go lock yourself in a garage and leave the motor running. Ridding us of your stupidity may be the most significant contribution to society that you ever make.

Anyone who has ever worked in customer service.
 11th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
There is no customer services for c-store customers management need to get survey from c-store customer if they call every one and ask about employee in the Sam's club they even not trained right they do not know what they doing and make so many mistakes and waste customers time.we never get out right time from Sam's club. only one thing keep everyone in the Sam's is cigarettes prices. if Sam's have a competitors than people stop go to sam's club.i am not wright my personal experience this is for most every other customers.
 11th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
This was a little painful to read.
 9th of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
Did you ever think that the people that work there are not happy. Well I can tell you that there not. It's not fun much due to managers and the way sam's and walmart treat there people.
 13th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
wow - you people are nuts. I don't think I should have to show my card to get in the door during non premium hours because it is stupid. I agree with the original poster and I will not continue shopping at sams. I was screamed at and acosted by some old fart greeter to show my card. It was insane.

Sams Club Logo Sams Club