logo

Avoid like the plague

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Sam's Club - Extended Warranty Complaints & Reviews - Beware of Sam's Club computer warranty

Sam's Club - Extended Warranty Contacts & Informations

Sam's Club - Extended Warranty

Posted:    Valerie

Beware of Sam's Club computer warranty

Last year I purchased an HP Laptop from Sam's Club. The factory warranty from HP was one year.

I purchased an additional 2 years warranty from Sam’s. My first year service from HP was excellent. At the end of the warranty I had a mechanical problem with the mouse Pad and sent it to Sam’s warranty Co for service. They returned it un- repaired with no explanation. I called and was told that the warranty would not apply because the machine had been abused. After lengthy discussion they claimed that that there was water damage to the inside of the machine. This made no sense to me, so the same day I took the machine to Port Charlotte Computer Service in Port Charlotte Fl for inspection. They opened up the machine while I observed. Guess what? There was no sign of water damage or any other type of foreign matter inside of the laptop.

I immediately called HP factory service and told them my problem. They gave me a 35 day courtesy extension on my original warranty and sent a box for me to return the unit. HP found no contamination of any type and repaired the unit under warranty and returned it FedEx overnight. The repaired machine was back to me in three days.

I’m thrilled with the super service from HP and have transferred my extended warranty to them. I’m disappointed with Sam’s Club and the apparently unethical warranty facility. Sam’s Club was of no help at all when I told them of my problem.
Comments United States Computers & Accessories
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

20th of May, 2007 by   Yesenia Renteria 0 Votes
All Management at Sam's Club are complete idiots and have no consideration of what we have to go through to get what we need. For example today I was there and was unable to buy A thing! Because they needed my mom to be around in order for me to get anything I MEAN COME ON!! I walked in the store with her membership card plus its the same house hold , I didn't know that every person in the house hold needed to have there own card ITS STUPID!! Much of my time was waisted while i looked around and then was forced to leave the store with nothing in hand. I think is stupid and unrealistic if they think that everyone is going to get a member ship card.
 19th of Jul, 2007 by   Jen L 0 Votes
First of all, the warranty company is not Sam's Club. It is contracted through another company. However, if Sam's is going to endorse a product, I agree with you there, that it should be reputable.

To the second poster: It's not fair to anyone that has purchased a membership to let just anyone come in without one and shop. How would you feel if you purchased a membership card, but they just let anyone come in off the street and shop? Just because you pay to shop at Sam's Club, doesn't mean that you can get whatever you want. The employees don't get paid enough to have every member come up to them and ask them for exceptions. The cardholders name and picture is on that card for a reason. Each primary cardholder gets a card for them and one other person in the household. It's very easy for her to just put you on the account. Don't sit here and bash management at Sam's Club for doing their job.
 15th of Jan, 2008 by   Ben Gleaton 0 Votes
I am getting ready to tell my story about Sam's. I am still wainting to hear back from management about a botched tire deal back in December. The store manager said I would be contacted within 48 hours. My wife and I are actually lucky to be alive afterwhat the time manager did to our Jeep. I think since Sam's Club can't/won't talk to me, I will Take a stand outside of their store with an iformational sign; "Talk to me before you buy tires here." Or, "If you love your family, you will not buy tires here" The store manager asked me what it would take to make things right (after I wrote corporate), I simply said maybe just cover my time off work and some fuel for all of my extra dirving around to get the problem fixed that they screwed up. I have several friends that are very tenacious and have volunteered to hold signsas well. I think we might get a great deal of public attention. We are decent, well dress community members. Ben Gleaton
 1st of Feb, 2008 by   Sherril Aba 0 Votes
The original post:

The warranty isn't through Sam's Club. You can't get mad at them because they wont let you use something for over a year, and have you bring it back. I do however think that they should of worked with you to get your computer fixed through the outside extended warranty company.

Second Poster:

Thank you for your lovely compliment to Sam's Club managers. If you want to shop at Sam's Club, its very easy to do. GET YOUR OWN CARD. We are in business for small businesses and members. We aren't there so anyone can come in and shop. If you want the deals that you get from Sam's Club, spend $40 and get your own card.

Third Poster:

I agree with you!!!

Fourth Poster:

I dare you to stand out side of Sam's Club with a sign, I want to see how long until you get arrested. I don't think that you should get a penny for your time off from work. You taking that time off was your choice. Stop trying to get something for free.
 12th of Feb, 2008 by   Sam 0 Votes
You should take the details of the findings and let them know. Laptop warranty is a tough one.. I bought mine at Fry's and have to see how they handle it ...
 14th of Feb, 2008 by   SPSyed 0 Votes
Don't trust computer warranties from laptopsdirect.co.uk (Easy Computers Ltd). They are accreditated by SafeBuy.org.uk ! The SafeBuy member sell out of warranty products with what looks like a valid three year warranty that is nothing more than a criminal deception scam. They pass the buck to manufacturers who refuse to honour the warranty. They circumvent UK-EU consumer protect laws to deceive computer buyers. Email me before you buy computers, LCD/Plasma TV or consumer electronics from Easy Computer Ltd.
 26th of Mar, 2008 by   lewisroy 0 Votes
I have a problem with the club in VA beach #4711
I had problem with 3 set of tire and in each case it took over 3 week to get the tire replace and most of the time I go there to get the tire work on and they harley ever get the hud cap back on right and the tire PSI have been as much as 10 LB betwine 4 tire and this most of the time and I complant to the store and the tire manger [andy] tell me to go some place and shop so I complant to the store manger [Jimmy]and he tell me to shop some place else Is this a way to run a stop pluse the last time they replace the tire under warranty I belive I was charge to much plus they took over 4 hour to install 4 tire abd the shop way not busy
I call there complant line and ask to takl to a corp manger it been a month noe and I keep geting the run a round
That my 2 cent worth and casto and BJ hear I come and plan to bring more people with me
sam club dose not need my comp account
 5th of Jun, 2008 by   Ronda Tomlinson 0 Votes
We are going thru hell with Sam's club extended warranty also. First they told us that our HD television would be replaced or a check sent out due to the length of time (45 days) and that the part couldn't be found. Now they are sending our TV out for 30 more days and they made it a separate claim because as they worded it, their discretion. Also they have told us that the warranty doesn't cover usable parts. Okay? Basically you get what you pay for go to Best Buy pay a lot more but you don't go thru the hassle, we will never buy anything electronical from Sam's club again.
 30th of Aug, 2008 by   peggy 0 Votes
Four tires I bought i/07 have been noted as hazordous inneed of replacement. My warrantywas for four andfive tolifetime. Today I took warranty in and was told it was notvalid unless I had tires rotated at Sams club. Nothing was said orstagted at timeof purchase. I was brushed off with "sorry" well that is unacceptable.
 7th of Oct, 2008 by   Terra 0 Votes
I found my way to this website in effort to find out what a Sam's Club Warrentee really is. Upon buying my first Ipod with Sam's extended warrantee, my Ipod took only weeks until the screen went completely blank, rendering it useless. I went to the service desk, showed them my warrantee, and they gave me a new Ipod. My ipod experienced several similar mechanical problems. Each time this happened, Sam's club would replace my ipod. I was so happy with the quick turn around time in getting a working Ipod, that I purchased for my husband the same ipod with the same warrantee. Six months later, the hold function became glichy on my ipod and my ear buds completely fell apart. My husband's ear buds also feel apart. I took my warrantees and my broken products to the service desk as I had done in the past. The people I initually talked to said that they would handle the matter while I shopped. I left them with the my Sam's club card and my ipod, and filled my cart with $200 worth of merchandise while I waited. When I returned to the service desk, a different associate awaited. She haughtily informed me that Sam's club would not return the items because there was "wear and tear" on them. Of course, I asked to speak with the manager. The manager came to the desk and reiterated what the associate said and accused me of returning my ipod 4 times (which I hadn't) and she said the store wasn't going to pay for it any more. I pointed out to her that I had not returned my ipod that many times, and that additionally, my husband's ipod had never once been returned. I asked her how it was that each and every time Sam's Club had handled my problem by replacing the ipod, and how in this instance, could she retroactively change the policy. She denied the aligation, arrogantly asserting that my items were "too worn". Well of course, they were. I didn't intend to spend $500 on 2 products and then never take them out of the box. She then informed me that I didn't even have a valid membership, so nothing could be done anyway. Which brings up an important point --I believe the warantees are only valid while you are a Sam's Club member. Therefore, it is my belief that if you purchase a 3 year warantee, then a few months later let your membership expire, for let's say a reason of unsatisfactory customer service, then too bad for you. I refuted that my membership was indeed valid and they accused me of giving them an expired card. Well, I told them I didn't (I only had one card in my wallet) and it had sat on the customer sevice desk the whole while I was shopping. The manager and her customer service associate then called me a liar. I was infurated, asked to speak with the manager's supervisor and she informed me that "he" would be in the next day. I left my cart filled with $200 of merchandise, not wanted to give them a penny more of my business. The condescending attitude that I was met with at the hands of this manager and associate, left me feeling demeaned and disrespected. When I arrived home, I relayed the situation to my husband, who then called and was told them same information about the regional manager being in the next day to speak with. The next day we called and were told that he wasn't in that day. The result? Today I went online and purchased new headphones for our ipod out of pocket, meanwhile, our $40 per ipod warantee is worthless. Furthermore, the fun experience I used to have in Sam's club is now replaced with resentment and bad feelings.
I don't understand how they can handle a situation the same way several times, and then refuse to follow through on a subsequent instance.
 16th of Nov, 2008 by   CrisAngel 0 Votes
This comment isnt necesarrily about the warranty but the poster who commented about bad customer service at Sam's Club and didn't know you couldn't use someone else's card... Just a question, what did you think the purpose of a picture and name on the card were for, decoration? And even if you are in the same household, if everyone could use anybody's card, what would be the purpose of charging a membership fee or having a card period? Think!
 17th of Jun, 2009 by   Jerry Hawker 0 Votes
I am having a rather distressing experience with Sams club extended warranty on a 42 inch Philips Plasma TV. I bought it in Oct. 2005 and it went out in May 2009. My wife called to see how to proceed to get it fixed and was told that the TV wasn't covered. It was a three year extended warranty and was supposed to be in effect though at the time I wasn't sure of the date it was purchased and how the warranty was supposed to work! Having that information and not considering that the denial was false, I hired Sears to come and see if the set could be fixed. They charged a hundred dollars and pronounced it not worth fixing due to it needing a new power supply and the main circuit board and another secondary board. With that information I went to Sams and purchased another TV of similar value and also the extended warranty. The cashier was very informative and explained that the three year warranty kicks in when the one year factory warranty is over. I didn't think much about it until I talked with my wife and she informed me that the receipt said 10/05! I had unpacked and set the TV up and was using it by this time. After realizing that I bought a $2300 TV that wasn't supposed to be bought, I talked with the store management and was told I couldn't return the TV and would have to allow the warranty co. all the time they wanted to fix the broken one or determine that it wasn't repairable. The warranty company has not been able to fix it and continually order parts to try them out in the set to see if that will repair it. I am sick of dealing with them as they do not call when they say they will, come when they say they will come and treat me like I am stupid and inpatient! I would not buy another electronic device from Sams or recommend their warranty company either! I will more than likely have to sue them to get any satisfaction from this nightmare. Buyer beware. Oh...We have been Sams Club members since 2003 and have spent thousands of dollars at the store. I even helped get a family member a job there who now feels uncomportable going to work there. Jerry Hawker Farmersburg IN.
 24th of Aug, 2009 by   Pur30wntt 0 Votes
I have just had the same problem. I had purchased a 4 year warranty for my iPod touch 16 gb. I've been using it consistently for 2 years. The iPod started to crash every so often after a year or so. Then just recently, it stopped charging from any source until it finally died and could not be recharged. I called the support and they had me send it in. A few days later I recieved it, no change to it at all. They did the EXACT same thing, sent it back claiming "physical damage - water damage corrosion". I am very upset with this, because I know I have not mistreated this at all, and I have never let it near a water source at all.
 27th of Aug, 2009 by   JWalke 0 Votes
Geez. I wish I would have read all this prior to getting an extended warranty for my Bissell Carpet Cleaner. It quit working in February. I call the warranty people and they tracked down a shop nearby for me to take it for repair. The shop had to wait close to 4 months for parts from Bissell. When they tried to submit my warranty info, it was rejected due to the work not being completed within 30 days of complaint. So the shop tried to call the warranty people to get it cleared up and was told that I needed to call warranty and get a new requistion number. This is so I can give it to the shop for submittal. So the shop can get paid. I am working on my 5th phone call to warranty since they don't call back - EVER! And even though my last phone call was annotated as a PRIORITY (I was dumb for believing it again!), still no call back. The repair shop has had my FIXED Bissell since the end of JUNE and can't released it till they get paid...you see the vicious cycle? STAY AWAY FROM SAM'S AFFILIATED WARRANTY PROGRAMS. Unless you're a glutton for punishment!
 30th of Apr, 2010 by   Mad@Sams 0 Votes
I'll never shop with Sam's Club/Walmart again for future purchases. I purchased an HP Pavilion for my wife from Sam's Club in early 2009 with an extended 1yr warranty. In Janurary 2010, we noticed that the piece of the case which covers the PowerSupply unit had fallen off of the unit which caused the laptop to no longer charge the battery. We promptly sent this laptop in for repairs because it was still covered by the extended warranty.

At first our claim was denied due to "Excessive Damage" which was ridiculous since the only thing this laptop needed was the panel replaced covering the PSU and after several weeks of back and forth between the Warranty Company and the repair company, we were told our laptop would be repaired.

Another 3 weeks go by without a response from either company so I had to call Sam's Club again to find out just what was going on. I was told that the laptop was shipped back unrepaired because the claim was denied to to the laptop "Being Dropped" which was incorrect and even a cursory glance of this unit would prove that the unit had not been dropped, struck, or abused in any way. To add insult to injury, the repair company couldn't even find our laptop and claimed to have shipped it back early April.

All told, my wife has been without her laptop for nearly 2 months now with the warranty company refusing to honor our claim. I've become very frustrated with the made-up excuses and their deniel of their responsibility to honor the warranty agreement. We're going to be Costco customers from now on.
 21st of Mar, 2011 by   facepunch 0 Votes
well yeah what do you expect from these criminals, ever see walmart documentary? this is a horrible company, and the idiots that work there have nerve to even show their face on here deserved to get their ass kicked, and yes by me if you have a problem with what i'm saying.
 29th of Aug, 2012 by   M3y0u 0 Votes
I am a primary card holder on an account that has spent over $3, 000, 000 in the life of the membership. I took a friend with me who wanted to purchase a television that was on sale. He purchased black socks, a 42in flat, and the extended warranty. A year and ten months later the television broke and he doesn't have the receipt nor did he register the warranty. No big deal because Sam's Club keeps track of purchases up to two years of the purchase date. They have the purchased socks on record but no warranty or television. It looks like this sue chef who works 40-80 hours a week at near minimum wage is SOL. How can they have record of the socks but not the television or warranty purchased at the same time? SCAM!

How to Avoid Phishing Scams While Using the Internet