Sallie Mae

Posted:

Scams, scams and more scams

I have done nothing but battle with SM for over 3 years now. Here is the latest - I have been overpaying my loans every single month. I called in to ask why the due date at the end of the loan never came up, or why the monthly payment never went down - since I was overpaying. I was told it would be looked into. Next thing I know, I get a letter from SM and they lowered my monthly payment by extending my loan 18 months!!! I did not give written consent to this! I was furious, so I called back and demanded that my loan go back to what it originally was (same payment, same payoff due date). So yesterday I received the new billing - it now has the original payoff date, but has gone up almost $100 per month! Either I am getting scammed or someone cannot add. I have had it with Sallie Mae and am planning on turning them into the BBB soon. I would strongly urge you to NOT finance anything though Sallie Mae - there is no customer service, or at least none in English, and they are unhelpful as they screw you over.
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Education
Was the above complaint useful?

Comments

5th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
Forget the BBB. They have no enforce powers. Go straight you the PA Banking Commission and file a formal complaint.
 16th of Jul, 2008 by    +1 Votes
I totally agree with that Sallie Mae is NOT a place to get a student loan with!!!

Terrible customer service
 18th of Jul, 2008 by    +1 Votes
You are 100% right. Every time you call them it's a different story.
 12th of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes

Sallie Mae - Horrible
Sallie Mae

I was advised to start a class action suit against Sallie Mae. I will need the support of those who wish to take part in this. Sallie Mae has ruined a lot of people's trust and faith in the borrowing process for us and our children to go to college. If you are willing please contact me via email, I will do the rest of the leg work to get this going.

31st of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
please include your email address.
 16th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
I dont know how they work but everest university tried to lure me in to this salliemae stuff and the loan didnt make it to the univerity yet so i canceled it before it could...I hope!
 16th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
please tell me i did not mess up and make a big mistake!!!
 17th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
Can you elaborate a little on your story with Sallie Mae?
 21st of Mar, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I went through SallieMae with my loan and ever since then, I've gotten screwed over. I kept sending payments, some made it, some did not. Recently, I found out that the payments are all making it but not being posted to my account. I keep getting letters saying that my account is in default until I pay them the "missing" payments but I find out later that my Western Union money orders are cashed as if they got to SM. SallieMae is extremely corrupt. They intend to screw you over, don't ever go through them for a loan
 10th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
I spoke to a girl call Michel at sallie Mae she stated that my privet loan is 2500 I set up an agreement with her 50 today another 50 2 weeks and 100 next month she said ok you can do that next day a got a phone call by a very rude person saying if I dont pay they will put me in collection and they will get their money one way or another well I told her Ihad an agreement with that lady she keep saying that they cant do agreements and I was wrong she was been very unprofessional and ugly then I ask for a supervisor she put on hold for 15 minutos came back and said sup is busy and cant talk to me now then I advise her to have him call me I keep having call from her and I just wondering isn't those calls recorded and is that anything we can do as low income people pls someone help me because I losing my mind with them
Damage Resulting = sallie Mae ruin my credit for 7 years
 29th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes

Sallie Mae - will not do forbearance/ have no money
sallie mae
Staten Island
New York

The same thing has happened to me.I couldn't pay but I was told I can't put a loan in forbearance if it is late.I paid what i had too and submitted the form.In the mean time it was time to pay again and I didn't have the money so I was in default and told that I couldn't do forbearance because I'm late.I was late last month I told them.They call and harrass me every day.
 2nd of Jun, 2009 by    -1 Votes
Pay your damn bills. It's a loan, you make payments on a loan.

Webster: Loan: Something lent or furnished on condition of being returned.

Hence you return the money back to the establishment that up-fronted the money for your (what turned out to be- USELESS) education.

Maybe you should sell your Beamer or put off the big screen TV for a couple years dumbass!
 18th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
DO NOT GO WITH SALLIE MAE!!
I HAVE BEEN MAKING PAYMENTS EVERY MONTH, ON TIME!!
2 MONTHS AGO, MY PAYMENTS STOPPED GOING THROUGH, AND INSTEAD OF CONTACTING ME, OR LETTING ME KNOW.. THEY DID NOTHING...
SO I KEPT ON MAKING PAYMENTS EVERY MONTH, THINKING THEY WERE GOING THROUGH.
I HAD NO IDEA THAT MY PAYMENTS DID NOT GO THROUGH UNTIL THEY STARTED TO THREATEN ME AND TELL ME I WAS RUINING MY CREDIT.

WHEN I CALLED, I GOT THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER, THEY SAID THEY WOULD CALL ME BACK AND LET ME KNOW IF MY PAYMENTS WERE GOING THROUGH, THEY NEVER DID.
WHEN I ASKED WHY I AM RECIEVING SUCH BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE, A FLOOR SUPERVISOR, NAMED AMBER SAMUELS, JUST HUNG UP ON ME!!!

THIS IS TERRIBLE! I WILL NEVER RECCOMEND ANYONE GOES THROUGH SALLIE MAE!
 10th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
DON'T USE SALLIE MAE UNLESS YOUR LOOKING TO BE HARRASSED ANNOYED AND HAVE YOUR CREDIT RUINED.
 30th of Jul, 2009 by    +1 Votes
SALLIE MAE IS BAD COMPANY THEY REALLY SHOULD CLOSE THERE DOORS
 4th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
I called and set up a payment agreement with SM after my payments went from $10 (while I was in school) to $350 (while I was still in school). I was told to pay $200 that day and that would allow me to lower my payments for the next 6 months. I did so, but my payments weren't lowered. I called, of course no one knew anything about this arrangement. So I set up another "payment plan" and was assured this one would be noted in their system. Want to guess what happened? The man I spoke with told me his name and ID number, but when I called back to complain about the second payment arrangement not being what I was told, I was told that there was NO employee by the name I gave them and the ID number didn't exist. Shocker right? So I called again and was told there is nothing they can do to help me with my payments. I have to pay $839 a month or have legal action taken against me. The woman I spoke with was rude and asked if I had already graduated. When I said yes, she said, "Well then why are you having a hard time paying your payments?" My rent is only $550 a month, I have 3 small children and I'm working my butt off just to make ends meet, but they think I can afford $839 a month????? What planet are they on?
 18th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
I was in college at ITT-Tech and was told to consolidate my loan so I wont be charged with Interest rates. I did that and about a week later Sallie Mae started calling me saying I own them money. At one point they had me graduated in 06 when I wasn't graduating until June of 07. So from January to June I had up to 6 months to pay, they started calling in January of 07 since the consolidation. I finally gotten taken care of around June of 2007 and then about August they started calling me. So I went to a forbearance for three months and then they called me in September. So I have been going into a forbearance every since then. Recently I went in when I got my taxes back. I paid 300 dollars on my loan then another 150 for the forbearance and was told I had until August and October. Well They started calling around July in the middle. I have been unemployed since last december. When I was working, I was paying my loans, but once I lost a job they keep calling. I gotten 4 phone calls, within 2 hours of each other, and its interesting how I owe 2009.55 and I can't access my account online, and I dont get anything through mail with notice of my account. All I can go off is there word, but I want to see proof and I have yet to get it any.
 30th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
I totally agree!!! Sallie Mae has been nothing but a problem. There was a huge mix-up with my identity and someone with my same name in Arizona opened a loan with them in 2001 (while I was still in highschool). Identity theft aside...I have been working with Sallie Mae for 6 YEARS!!! to get this off of my credit! The amount that was owed was finally removed after 5 years! However, the fact that I had a loan and that it went into collections (which has never happened to me) still shows on my credit report. After calling their fraud department, I was told that they would not even believe a police report stating that I was not the one who applied for the loan let alone believe me. I was lied to and belittled for over an hour. Even though I told them that I had TONS of documentation stating that it was not me, they refused to believe me.
 3rd of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
when u take a loan u all need to read the promissory note thoroughly ... u all just ignore the promissory note thinking why should we read that big thing. and later on u all start complaining...
 8th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
I need your email address

Contact Us