logo

ACE
Playing with the careers
2. (4 mins ago)
Black Crush.com
the site attempts to access your computer
3. (10 mins ago)
Company charged me for $99.99 without my notice

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Sallie Mae, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania Complaints & Reviews - Scams, scams and more scams

Sallie Mae Contacts & Informations

Sallie Mae

Posted:    JCat

Scams, scams and more scams

Sallie Mae
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
www.salliemae.com
I have done nothing but battle with SM for over 3 years now. Here is the latest - I have been overpaying my loans every single month. I called in to ask why the due date at the end of the loan never came up, or why the monthly payment never went down - since I was overpaying. I was told it would be looked into. Next thing I know, I get a letter from SM and they lowered my monthly payment by extending my loan 18 months!!! I did not give written consent to this! I was furious, so I called back and demanded that my loan go back to what it originally was (same payment, same payoff due date). So yesterday I received the new billing - it now has the original payoff date, but has gone up almost $100 per month! Either I am getting scammed or someone cannot add. I have had it with Sallie Mae and am planning on turning them into the BBB soon. I would strongly urge you to NOT finance anything though Sallie Mae - there is no customer service, or at least none in English, and they are unhelpful as they screw you over.
Comments United States Education
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

5th of May, 2008 by   ddorrer 0 Votes
Forget the BBB. They have no enforce powers. Go straight you the PA Banking Commission and file a formal complaint.
 16th of Jul, 2008 by   sharon +1 Votes
I totally agree with that Sallie Mae is NOT a place to get a student loan with!!!

Terrible customer service
 18th of Jul, 2008 by   SHAR +1 Votes
You are 100% right. Every time you call them it's a different story.
 16th of Mar, 2009 by   Jean 0 Votes
I dont know how they work but everest university tried to lure me in to this salliemae stuff and the loan didnt make it to the univerity yet so i canceled it before it could...I hope!
 16th of Mar, 2009 by   Jean 0 Votes
please tell me i did not mess up and make a big mistake!!!
 21st of Mar, 2009 by   Matt +1 Votes
I went through SallieMae with my loan and ever since then, I've gotten screwed over. I kept sending payments, some made it, some did not. Recently, I found out that the payments are all making it but not being posted to my account. I keep getting letters saying that my account is in default until I pay them the "missing" payments but I find out later that my Western Union money orders are cashed as if they got to SM. SallieMae is extremely corrupt. They intend to screw you over, don't ever go through them for a loan
 10th of Apr, 2009 by   shepherdnoir 0 Votes
I spoke to a girl call Michel at sallie Mae she stated that my privet loan is 2500 I set up an agreement with her 50 today another 50 2 weeks and 100 next month she said ok you can do that next day a got a phone call by a very rude person saying if I dont pay they will put me in collection and they will get their money one way or another well I told her Ihad an agreement with that lady she keep saying that they cant do agreements and I was wrong she was been very unprofessional and ugly then I ask for a supervisor she put on hold for 15 minutos came back and said sup is busy and cant talk to me now then I advise her to have him call me I keep having call from her and I just wondering isn't those calls recorded and is that anything we can do as low income people pls someone help me because I losing my mind with them
Damage Resulting = sallie Mae ruin my credit for 7 years
 18th of Jun, 2009 by   IHateSallieMae 0 Votes
DO NOT GO WITH SALLIE MAE!!
I HAVE BEEN MAKING PAYMENTS EVERY MONTH, ON TIME!!
2 MONTHS AGO, MY PAYMENTS STOPPED GOING THROUGH, AND INSTEAD OF CONTACTING ME, OR LETTING ME KNOW.. THEY DID NOTHING...
SO I KEPT ON MAKING PAYMENTS EVERY MONTH, THINKING THEY WERE GOING THROUGH.
I HAD NO IDEA THAT MY PAYMENTS DID NOT GO THROUGH UNTIL THEY STARTED TO THREATEN ME AND TELL ME I WAS RUINING MY CREDIT.

WHEN I CALLED, I GOT THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER, THEY SAID THEY WOULD CALL ME BACK AND LET ME KNOW IF MY PAYMENTS WERE GOING THROUGH, THEY NEVER DID.
WHEN I ASKED WHY I AM RECIEVING SUCH BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE, A FLOOR SUPERVISOR, NAMED AMBER SAMUELS, JUST HUNG UP ON ME!!!

THIS IS TERRIBLE! I WILL NEVER RECCOMEND ANYONE GOES THROUGH SALLIE MAE!
 10th of Jul, 2009 by   myfraudulentcompany.com 0 Votes
DON'T USE SALLIE MAE UNLESS YOUR LOOKING TO BE HARRASSED ANNOYED AND HAVE YOUR CREDIT RUINED.
 30th of Jul, 2009 by   Samantha Kloskowski +1 Votes
SALLIE MAE IS BAD COMPANY THEY REALLY SHOULD CLOSE THERE DOORS
 4th of Aug, 2009 by   ScrewedSallieMaeStudent 0 Votes
I called and set up a payment agreement with SM after my payments went from $10 (while I was in school) to $350 (while I was still in school). I was told to pay $200 that day and that would allow me to lower my payments for the next 6 months. I did so, but my payments weren't lowered. I called, of course no one knew anything about this arrangement. So I set up another "payment plan" and was assured this one would be noted in their system. Want to guess what happened? The man I spoke with told me his name and ID number, but when I called back to complain about the second payment arrangement not being what I was told, I was told that there was NO employee by the name I gave them and the ID number didn't exist. Shocker right? So I called again and was told there is nothing they can do to help me with my payments. I have to pay $839 a month or have legal action taken against me. The woman I spoke with was rude and asked if I had already graduated. When I said yes, she said, "Well then why are you having a hard time paying your payments?" My rent is only $550 a month, I have 3 small children and I'm working my butt off just to make ends meet, but they think I can afford $839 a month????? What planet are they on?
 18th of Sep, 2009 by   viperguy3321 0 Votes
I was in college at ITT-Tech and was told to consolidate my loan so I wont be charged with Interest rates. I did that and about a week later Sallie Mae started calling me saying I own them money. At one point they had me graduated in 06 when I wasn't graduating until June of 07. So from January to June I had up to 6 months to pay, they started calling in January of 07 since the consolidation. I finally gotten taken care of around June of 2007 and then about August they started calling me. So I went to a forbearance for three months and then they called me in September. So I have been going into a forbearance every since then. Recently I went in when I got my taxes back. I paid 300 dollars on my loan then another 150 for the forbearance and was told I had until August and October. Well They started calling around July in the middle. I have been unemployed since last december. When I was working, I was paying my loans, but once I lost a job they keep calling. I gotten 4 phone calls, within 2 hours of each other, and its interesting how I owe 2009.55 and I can't access my account online, and I dont get anything through mail with notice of my account. All I can go off is there word, but I want to see proof and I have yet to get it any.
 30th of Sep, 2009 by   xfhoney 0 Votes
I totally agree!!! Sallie Mae has been nothing but a problem. There was a huge mix-up with my identity and someone with my same name in Arizona opened a loan with them in 2001 (while I was still in highschool). Identity theft aside...I have been working with Sallie Mae for 6 YEARS!!! to get this off of my credit! The amount that was owed was finally removed after 5 years! However, the fact that I had a loan and that it went into collections (which has never happened to me) still shows on my credit report. After calling their fraud department, I was told that they would not even believe a police report stating that I was not the one who applied for the loan let alone believe me. I was lied to and belittled for over an hour. Even though I told them that I had TONS of documentation stating that it was not me, they refused to believe me.
 3rd of Oct, 2009 by   salliemaecse 0 Votes
when u take a loan u all need to read the promissory note thoroughly ... u all just ignore the promissory note thinking why should we read that big thing. and later on u all start complaining...
 20th of Apr, 2010 by   0905TheresaK 0 Votes
I just wasted an hour and a half of my life on the phone with sallie mae because they cannot seem to apply my payments correctly. I pay my bills ahead of time and they don't post them to the right month even though each payment is sent with the correct billing stub with the month on it that I want it posted to. My father is a co-signer for the loan and keeps getting letters saying that I'm behind on payment, so I called them because in all actuality I am 3 months AHEAD on my payments. Even after they counted the payments and agreed with me, they tried to say that I had been in default and had a $5 late fee on my account. I wasn't able to take my father off the account because of this-even though I wasn' t actually late!!! The woman FINALLY took the late fee off the account, but still won't say that it was not in default and needs to send it to a "specialist" so they can make this determination and verify that I can take my father's name off the loan. All this AFTER she already checked and agreed that I was right that they applied it wrong, but she still was saying it was in default... WORST WORST WORST WORST customer service EVER!! Not to mention, the FIRST person I talked to for about a half an hour was WORTHLESS and I didn't get anywhere until I spoke with a supervisor who still couldn't quite get it when all was said and done...
 9th of Jun, 2010 by   Fit to be tied 0 Votes
Sallie Mae is terrible--all of the agents with whom I spoke C40169, C40256, etc. told me that they did not have a designated customer service brach. Well, I checked the BBB wesite, and yes, Sallie Mae does have a Customer Adovcate Unit.

Here is the information:

Ms. Kelly Mahoney
Customer Advocate Unit
P.O. Box 4200
Wilkes Barre, PA 18773

1-888-545-4199

I suggest that you get all of your ducks in a row before you call them: 1. get a sallie mae agent number for everyone with whom you speak, 2. document each converstation and the outcome of the converstation noting the agent # who gave you the information, 3. Send the Customer Adovate Unit a detailed letter outlining this documentation and your concerns, 4. Make sure you send the letter directly to Kelly Mohoney with, and this part is crucial, USPS restricted delivery mail (this ensures Kelly Mahoney receives and signs for your letter--and you receive documentation from the US Postal Service). Also, I think it may be a criminal offence if Sallie Mae declines your letter.

I have been strugging with Sallie Mae for three months and this is the only course of action that works. Yes, it is time consuming, but I am convinced it is one of the only ways to resolve your issues unless you seek help from an outside source.

If this doesn't work, fortunately my sister-in-law is a corporate laywer!
 20th of Dec, 2011 by   Emmee 0 Votes
I agree, I kept getting harassing letters and I have automatic pay. I called and they couldn't find my account. I was ridiculous and they are charging me ridiculous amounts of interest wth?!!! this is why once you get your degree you cant do much because now ur busting your chops trying to pay back all the INTEREST that they decide to pile on. I hate Sallie Mae
 8th of Jan, 2012 by   TelemarketingHell 0 Votes
My guess is they extended your loan in order to squeeze more interest out of you. That's where a decent chunk of your monthly payment goes - the interest. That's why you never see your balance get too low - you pay some of the interest, but when it accrues at a rate of $20 or so a day, your balance is the same every month. You are basically forever stuck feeding them money for a balance that will never ever go down, and unfortunately you can't pay the actual loan only - it goes to interest first and the actual owed amount second. So when you seem like you're putting a dent in what you owe, Sallie Mae has to do something so they can score a few more bucks from you.

I'm gonna be blunt - they suck. They suck hard. They are loan sharks and once they have their claws in you, they will never leave you alone. You can tell them until you're blue in the face your reasons for being unable to pay them and they simply do not care. Then when you can't pay, they ruin your credit, drain your bank accounts and call you repeatedly to try and threaten money out of you. When I was repaying them, my monthly bill almost doubled in less than a year. I guess I'm just supposed to go out to the free money store to get the bucks to pay them their $600 a month and never ever see my balance go down.

And the worst part is you can't sue them for their crappy behavior - they are damn near untouchable. But I will say while they will threaten up and down to take your stuff and sue you, I have never personally heard of them actually going and doing that. I think those are idle threats. Best of luck to you - I hope they are more bearable for you than they are for most.
 14th of Mar, 2014 by   L.Bjorn 0 Votes
Well today, I received an email from Sallie Mae stating that I owe $205.89 and that I had missed payments. On March 10, 2014, I had made arrangements to have them pay for February, March, and April. They never told me when the due date was until I called them. I called them today to dispute this payment on their end because the bill went to a different student loan. I still have to have pay them $205. 89 by April 9, 2014, plus $50.00 to Integrity as well as $150.00 to Allied Interstate plus they charged me $14.00 for a fee of payment over the phone. They were trying to get to have a forbearance on the loans even though it should have been paid. It is bad enough I have to pay for a school that closed down, but not getting numbers right and simple basic math is embarrassing to the United States. Other countries want to know why Americans are stupid.

Health Care Reform: What Now?

Latest Groups