logo

3320 Arden Way
Sacramento, California
Phone: 916-483-9389
safeway.com
I am writing this letter to inform you about the offensive and unacceptable behavior of Safeway Assistant Manager, Felicia Fisher, at the Safeway store in Sacramento located at 3320 Arden Way Sacramento, California 95825.

My mother and I went to shop at Safeway today, as we do regularly. We decided to get a sandwich at the deli before shopping. The deli counter did not seem that busy, but the sandwich took approximately 15 minutes to make, which I felt was an excessive amount of time. The deli cashier was very slow, so we decided to eat our sandwiches, finishing our shopping and then purchase our sandwiches and groceries all at one time. We took the tags off the sandwich wrappings to ensure we paid the correct amount at the register.

While shopping for groceries, I received an important call from a business associate. I told him to meet me in the Safeway parking lot to deliver the construction plans, so my mother and I briefly stepped outside in front of the store to meet my associate. While in front of the store, the Assistant Manager, Felicia Fisher, stormed up to me and my mother, and accusingly in a rude tone, demanded the receipts for the deli sandwiches. We immediately explained to her that we were coming back in to finish grocery shopping and planned to pay for them then.

Ms. Fisher stated that she recognized my mother as a frequent shopper, but said she did not know me. She then forcefully said we must follow her back in the store and pay for the sandwiches now. We complied and followed Ms. Fisher back in the store to pay for our sandwiches. My mother and I felt especially disrespected and embarrassed, as other customers began to take notice of Ms. Fisher’s hostility. At this time, the general manager, Joe Chappelle, came over to see what was transpiring. Ms. Fisher inaccurately told Mr. Chappelle we were not planning to pay for our sandwiches. I showed the sandwich price tags to Mr. Chappelle, explained the situation and assured him we would pay for our sandwiches when our grocery shopping was completed. In an effort to diffuse the situation, I went to the counter and paid for the sandwiches. While I was leaving the store, I showed the receipt to Ms. Fisher. She responded saying that my mother and I were no longer allowed in the store and should we return to the store, she will call the police on us!

My family has been loyal customers of Sacramento Safeway stores for more than 30 years. In that time, I have never been more offended and disrespected than I was today by Ms. Fisher. As a small business owner, I know first hand that reputation is everything. I do not make it a habit of writing letters, but the treatment my mother and I received today, from an Assistant Manager, a trusted leader of your company, was just too offensive not to report. I trust you will take the appropriate measure to ensure Ms. Fisher’s actions do not become acceptable customer service practice at Safeway. I look forward to your response
Comments United States Retail Stores
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

14th of May, 2009 by   bebabo +2 Votes
You should not eat something you have not paid And then to leave the store for any reason makes it even more difficult for the employees to believe you . The deli has a cash register, why didn't you pay for the food when you recieved it
 14th of May, 2009 by   jujjubee +1 Votes
Felicia did her job perfectly and she should be commended. I've noticed that a lot of hindu indians try to get away with this scam. Along with trying to switch price tags on items so they can pay less.
 14th of May, 2009 by   Trevor is now a proud father a baby boy +2 Votes
Well normally when people take an item outside a store, and claim they will come back and pay for it they had no intention of paying for it in the first place. This was your own fault. So you took the tags off the sandwiches. So you took the tags off the wrappings. You claimed that because you took the tags off the wrapping you intended to pay. Well it can be taken another way also, they can take it as you were trying to steal the sandwiches by taking the tags off of them as well becauase you can easily claim the sandiwich has no tags so you bought it from home/another safeway. That just makes you look more guilty. You have no reason to be upset, unless the real reason you are upset is because you got caught.
 1st of Jul, 2009 by   samb 0 Votes
You know today has changed my whole outlook on Safeway as after a bad experience in the store I to0 was threatened with being thrown out or the police being called. Did I walk with a sandwich no, I complained about being overcharged. Not once but 3 times I was overcharged and for amts up to 25.00. When I insisted that the asst mgr look at receipts which had already been checked at customer service and overcharges verified my money was refunded. but when I was so insolent as to still want the items at the advertised price. I was told I was abusive, I was firm but after 3 times burnt I did think it was appropriate, I did not shout or curse but I know other shoppers close by could hear me trying to explain the problem of overcharging. All I wanted was correct pricing and specials advertised! Oh and I didnt mention double scanning items in addtion to not special specials, so check your receipts, I can almost guarentee that 1 out of 5 will have mistake in their favor for a dollar or less. That is a lot of money my friends when you add the thousands of overcharges each week. But dont complain or they might call police.They paid a 2.7 million settlement in Ca last year for this kind of behavior.. After other stories on the web tonight I am thinking call the police threat is company policy for anything to shut you up.
However I would have never left the store without paying or telling the clerk but I think management could have been more discrete. As to not coming back, I would tell every friend I had, they know your character and see if they want to shop there anymore.
 15th of Aug, 2009 by   defensemechanism +2 Votes
Eating and consuming and item you have not paid for in a grocery store is stealing. You can be asked by management to never visit their establishment again for doing that. However most grocery stores are lax on the issue. From a law enforcement point of view, you stole, and you had no intention of paying. Otherwise you would have paid for the sandwhiches first or not have eaten them and removed the tags. You are only upset because this store has exceptional employees who are attentive and you were caught. I commend the assistant manager for doing her job and making it known that stealing will not be tolerated in her store.
Your story does not get any sympathy because you infact, according to the law, did steal from safeway. Whether you had any intention of pay for the sandwhiches or not you stole.
 6th of Oct, 2009 by   Jo Ellen Smith +1 Votes
You are proof positive that common sense is not common! Pay for the food BEFORE you eat it and stop thinking you are above everyone else! Good luck with the rest of your days with that holier-than-thou attitude!

Foreclosure Scams Prey on Homeowners