logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
REDUCTIONGURUMD.COM
Bogus charges and fake subscription
2. (3 mins ago)
Flixaddict.com
SCAM- charges your credit card when they say they won't!
3. (4 mins ago)
Free of Blemishes
posting fake comments and product is a scam
4. (4 mins ago)
Worst Service Department

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Rite Aid, Catskill, New York Complaints & Reviews - Terrible customer service!

Rite Aid Contacts & Informations

Rite Aid

Posted:    Valerie

Terrible customer service!

Rite Aid
Catskill, New York
www.riteaid.com
I used to work for this Rite Aid, and believe me when I tell you that it was horrible. First of all, I was given the very bare minimum of hours, usually between 20 and 25. I later found out that the store managers got a quarterly bonus if they kept their labor percentages low. Meanwhile, their employees are struggling to feed their families and pay their bills.

They refused to make anyone full time, except the 3 managers, making overtime an impossibility. I started out at minimum wage, and after 11 months of working there, I received a 30 cent raise. I was absolutely shocked and offended by that.

Why not find a better job? Around here there are so few opportunities for employment unless you are willing to travel at least an hour to a major city, which at the time I was unable to do.

Moving on, the store management was a joke. They never knew what was going on in the store. The way this company has it set up, a cashier basically can't do anything except ring out a customer, so any refunds, voids, or exchanges had to be handled by management. However, when there is only one person responsible for all of that at any given time during the day, it makes it very hard to deal with customers in a timely fashion. I can't tell you how many time I was left waiting for upwards of 15 minutes, with a confused customer staring at me, wondering why I wasn't refunding her purchase, while I was paging a manager every minute or two. Then management would finally come up and USUALLY resolved the issue quickly, and I was left to deal with the then rude and impatient customer, as if I had done anything wrong.

Shop lifting was apparently not a concern for them, because no cameras were in the store, not even behind the counters!! What if someone had tried to rob me while I am standing there? There wouldn't have been any evidence on video! We were always finding empty packages of items, and I was told by the store manager that some months they lost nearly $5, 000 from shoplifting. It wasn't a surprise to me, because people, usually teenagers, came in regularly and left quickly without purchasing anything. Shortly after they left we would find the empty packages stuffed behind merchandise or left on the floor.

Also, as associates, we were told that we could not, under any circumstances, accuse someone of stealing, even if we had seen them steal something, because they could sue the company for profiling. They needed concrete evidence. How were we supposed to get that?! There were ANY CAMERAS ON THE PREMISES!.

Overall, the managers were all rude, moody individuals. They would give you absolutely NOTHING to do for weeks at a time, leaving you to stand at the register for your entire shift, hoping that someone needed help finding something so that you could keep your brain from atrophying. Or, they would give you a ridiculous amount of tasks to be completed in a short amount of time. Either way, it was just a bad situation.

All in all, my experience there was mostly negative. In the end of my 'career' there, I could not wait to leave and move on to bigger and better things.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

31st of Jul, 2008 by   Jay 0 Votes
You're right Rite Aid Sucks Balls. I only got a 2% 17 cent raise. The vests are embarassing, those voids are disgraceful. All day I got yelled at by old people with nothing better to do. To top it off I got accused of stealing because a trash bag broke behind the counter. I can't believe the managers got bonuses for not giving us hours.
 1st of Oct, 2008 by   carlos alas 0 Votes
sad to say i was one of those employees also and it is very true i have seen several employees terminated for the most ludacris reason one cashier was fired for sampling the ice cream do you know how many times customers would ask me how a particular flavor tasted my response would be i don't eat the ice cream we canbe terminated for that also the shoplifting is incredible in california there are people who make a living they load up gift bags or trash bags with high value merchandise oddly enough when we had a undercover they never caught any of those people the always seem to catch the 12 year old stealing a pack of gum or baseball cards the associates could only watch as we would witness the gangs of thieves they knew we could do nothing about it because rite aid is afraid of law suits they don't wan't any negative publicity also talk about a stupid program we also had people that come out when the new ad would break and purchase all the free after mail in rebate items mail away for the check once they recieved the check they would return the products for a full refund so not only do they purchase but they make the cashier and the customers that are waiting in line for that manager to approve the return what a waste of time all that labor and the company made $0.00 dollar profit no wonder the stock is hovering around 0.87 cents and cvs stock is around $33.00 dollars rite aid should be bought out but who wants to purchase all that debt and what about that terible acquisition of failing brooks & eckerd drugs rite aid blows 100% please don't shop at this company and support this terrible drug store put this company out of it's misery
 20th of Mar, 2009 by   Sweety 0 Votes
I hate Free After Mail In Rebates...how can the company make any money? People only come in for the free stuff and if they buy more than 1, of course, they want seperate receipts, so more time wasted and lines forming on a Sunday morning(They always come first thing on a Sunday morning before supplies run out)
 27th of Apr, 2009 by   Hearted 0 Votes
I have been working at a Rite Aid store as an associate for about a year now and my manager never told me that I could have 15 minute breaks for every four hours. So I would stand around, trying my best to redistribute my weight becuase a fall off of a horse a couple years ago still affects my back, and when I told a shift manager they told me to just "do something productive then". How can I if I can't stand up straight?! Bringing it up ten months later to the store manager, she told me that I "should have said something". How can I if I never knew that I could in the first place?

My store manager spreads rumors about my leaving [I'm transfering to another store] and says that it was another shift manager whom I actually liked and respect's fault, and now I must apoligize to her because of my manager loose mouth. Not only should she not be telling ANYONE anything about my leaving the store, but I had told her before that the specifc store manager in question was really the reason why I stayed so long. The assisant store manager also would wait outside the store sometimes, so that my parents wouldn't drive away, to tell me that I can't work-even when I was scheduled. She said that she called, but when I checked the caller I.D. that day, she called only FOUR MINUTES before my shift started! She also mocks me on a daily basis for not being friggin' 15 minutes early. Sorry that I don't live for Rite Aid's sole purposes.

Another shift manager assulted me, and I'm a minor, too, only 17 years old, and I never reported it because the manager never really took into consideration whatever I told her. And proof? Wouldn't matter. The managers tell us that there's "hidden cameras". Yeah? Where are they, then? The celing panels? Because there are no other objects hanging from the celings or walls...must be some top-of-the type of technology. [Shouldn't they make them obvious so that people will be too scared to steal?] That same shift manager was one who I also caught making fun of me and mocking me on a couple of occasions when she thought I wasn't looking. I've also had to do returns, and on several occasions I've seen her reading in the back of the store as I pages her more then once to approve the return.

I'm paid minimum wage, which is $8.00 in Massachusetts, and I was told that I "might get a 3% raise after a year". 3%?! I've won RAPTAR awards [for outstanding customer service] and I only get about a 24 cent raise? Given that's more than other states, it still is terrible. Massachusetts taxes A LOT, so that's really nothing. Not for all of the crap you put up with, anyways.

So, I'm calling up my district manager tomorrow, wish me luck all!
 16th of Jul, 2009 by   princeloyal 0 Votes
Like Rite Aid is any different from any other Retail Chain in this country. Please. Rite Aid offers those associates who are dedicated and loyal an excellent future with the company. I have an idea, lets get on the internet and post a little baby fit about how unfair life is and poor me and my minimum wage job. Come on. The economy sucks and almost every other job in this country isn't fair. It doesn't matter where you go... its all the same. Some places have great service and some have bad. And as far as being a Cashier at Rite Aid. It was your job to stand behind the register and ring people up so if you didn't like it, why the hell would you put your application in anyways.
 20th of Jul, 2009 by   Hearted -1 Votes
Hmmm...perhaps it was because I never applied to be a cashier?

And let me guess, either you're unemployed and spiteful or have a job that's worse/better then my own.
 20th of Jul, 2009 by   Hearted +1 Votes
And princeloyal, let me remind you that the website that you posted on has the word "complaint" in the title. We are here to complain, and if you noticed, you're doing a fair shar of complaining yourself! Rather liberating, eh? :]
 25th of Aug, 2009 by   crocoduck 0 Votes
Rite Aid offers an excellent future with the company? How, exactly, do you make that claim with a clear conscience? I know several employees who are kind, dedicated workers who have worked for the company for 7 years, with little but a few dollar pay raise. Yes, some promotion.

To top it off, Rite Aid has a habit of shilling out bonuses and benefits to only those who are non union (read: management). I have been in more than half a dozen rite aid locations to talk to the employees there, including several people that I have also known to work for the company throughout the years.

I hear nothing but stories about how management is either lazy (I've personally witnessed managers eating and talking on the phone while the other employees unload stock on delivery dates), inept, rude, or ignorant. Top it off with managers hiring people they know (who later get caught for stealing), the district managers and loss prevention departments that simply do not listen, and the fact that their president received a several million dollar bonus for what could only be described as a failed acquisition, and why wouldn't people be upset? After all, I'd be pissed as well if my boss was getting paid more for doing a poor job while I took a pay cut for being a hard worker and doing well at mine.
 5th of Mar, 2010 by   gonefromretail +1 Votes

They cant last much longer!!!
 14th of Apr, 2010 by   OVERWORKED AND UNDERPAID +1 Votes
RITE AID TREATS THEIR EMPLOYEES LIKE DOGS. THEY DONT CARE ABOUT ANYONE, ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS THEIR BONUSES WHILE THE CASHIERS GET MINIMUM WAGE 25 HOURS A WEEK AND WHEN WE DO GET A RAISE ITS LIKE 10 CENT A YEAR. DO THEY NOT THINK THAT WE HAVE BILLS TO PAY! I JUST DONT GET PAID ENOUGH TO PUT UP WITH THEIR BULLSHIT!!! I HOPE THAT THEY GO BANKRUPT AND ALL THOSE SNOTTY ASS CORPORATE PEOPLE LOSE THEIR JOB THEN MAYBE THEY WILL SEE WHAT IT FEELS LIKE. THEY DONT HAVE A CLUE!!!
 11th of May, 2010 by   PHARMTECHGURL 0 Votes
All of you are so rit!!! I used to work there, was there for 2 years!!! was promised a first shift job but ended working all nights bc 2 other girls that had there ass kissed had first shift mon-fri and no weekends while me, motherof 2 had all nights and weekend makin 7 dollars an hour to kiss ass and put up with bullshit all night and weekend!! I told them many times that wasnt fair that i worked the times i did and didnt get off till 9 at nite then i would have to go pick up my kids go home which i was driving another 45 minutes after i got off then go home get bath, homework and bed!!So...after 2 years of puttin up with this shit i gave a 3 weeks notice and left!! They are all rude!!!Big company people would come in and tell you everything to do then leave and at the store i worked at the manager was always up front by him self but was also suppose ta be in the back puttin a truck which is about impossible but he got wrote up for this!!! they treat people like shit!!! WHIT US ITS PERSONAL AND NOW 15 MINUTE RX'S...LMAO!!! THIS IS BULLSHIT!!! THEY NEED TO SHUT THERE DOORS!!! I HOPE THEY GO UNDER SO FAST!!! I TRANSFERED ALL MY RX'S AND THEY KEEP SENDING ME COUPONS FOR 25 DOLLAR GIFT CARDS TO COME BACK...HELL NO...I THREW THOSE AWAY AND WILL NEVER STEP ANOTHER FOOT NOR WILL ANY OF MY MONEY EVER...EVER GO TO ANOTHER RITE AID STUPID COMPANY AGAIN!!! I WILL BE SITTIN BACK LAUGHING SO HARD WHEN THEY GO UNDER!!! DONT EVER GET A J O B THERE!!!
 13th of Jul, 2010 by   Doug 1999 0 Votes
You should work for the distribution center in Dayville, CT. I was just let go from there because I constantly complained about my co-worker sleeping and using racial remarks about african americans. Rite Aid chose to cover it all up. This man is in Loss Prevention, yet was stealing himself. I couldn't believe it when H.R. terminated me instead, they said Rite Aid didn't like complainers, even if my co-worker didn't do his job, at least he didn't complain. ARE YOU KIDDING? I pray every day that they go under. Hopefully my wish will be granted!!
 30th of Aug, 2010 by   Francis Buck 0 Votes
I'm an employee at Rite Aid. I've worked there for 3.5 years. I started at 7.00 an hour. I'm currently 7.65. Mind you after the minimum wage increase. I work my fingers to the bone but every day that passes I slowly do less and less because nothing is thanked for. Nothing is praised. Nothing matters to anyone in these stores. I happened to see what a brand new employee, with less education and less experience than me, got hired for a year ago. 7.75 an hour. He's going to get an increase soon, which boils my blood. Whenever he works our customer service score goes down. He sits on the counter when customers are coming in. He constantly plays and when he and one manager work together NO work gets done but the bare minimum, leaving it all for me the next day. Another worker who makes moer than me only stands behind the register and does nothing at all. She just stands there and gets paid for it while I'm running all over the store doing the best I can, doing as much work as I can get done, and kicking myself when I can't because I know management will complain about it to me later. Similar things happen in another store with my best friend. This company doesn't care one lick.
 16th of Nov, 2010 by   HATE WORKING HERE 0 Votes
And to top it all off riteaid does not even care enought about their employees to let them be home on christmas day with their families. Yeah, thats right we are open on CHRISTMAS DAY. what horseshit

5 Tips to Save on Back to School