Rent A Center

Bed Bugs

Rent A Center
Portland, Maine
Rent A Center customers beware. I bought a couch from that was cash and carry. I had company that slept on it and awoke with several bites on them, When we flipped it we saw that there were bed bugs on the underside. We called them and they picked up the furniture but they will not reimburse us any additional costs. So don't go there unless you want to bring home some blood sucking friends.
Complaint comments Comments (26) Complaint country United States Complaint category Furniture

5th of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes
AnnMarie – I work at RAC and I’m sorry to hear about what happened. Your post doesn’t sound like how we’d normally handle something like this. Did you call our corporate customer support at 800-422-8184 to escalate the issue? If a customer thinks bedbugs might have come from a rented item, our procedure would be to pick up the item and schedule an outside service (like Orkin or Terminix) to come to their house and give an unbiased determination as to whether the bugs likely came from the rented merchandise. If so, then we would cover the cost of extermination. And on a cash and carry item like that, if the store picked the item back up, they would give you a refund on the couch.
 9th of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes
this dumb ass gave you the wrong phone number

its 800-422-8186 and I doubt they will do anything for you judging by the posts by people who have tried calling them before.
 22nd of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
We recieved mattresses from RAC in March. We were assured that the mattresses were brand new. It even states that in our contract. In June my husband started getting mysterious bites on his body.(arms legs back) Since we didnt know what it was we simply put some anti-itching cream on it. as July came along his bites had gotten considerably worse. They were so bad that they were distracting him at his job so he had to take a day off to go to our family practitioner. At one in the morning we were going to go to bed in our room. When we went inside there was two bugs crawling over the RAC bed. When he killed it blood squirted out staining our walls and floor. We flipped the mattress over and they were there just crawling waiting to feast on our blood. We paniced so we went to wake up our children to see if they to, were infested. In my daughter's room we flipped over her mattress which was the only one not from RAC and found it spotless. Relieved we went into my son's room hoping for the same result. We flipped over his mattress which was from RAC and sure enough there were bed bugs leaving their waste all over it. The next day my son and husband had to leave very early but got little sleep. My daughter and I decided to call RAC and demand that these mattresses were to be tooken away immediatly. When my husband got home from work we had found 3 more live bed bugs scuttling across our bedroom floor. My husband killed them and we brought it as a type of evidence to the RAC. When they saw us they told us that they were still waiting on the manufacturer. I asked them what to do with the mattresses? They replied to throw them away but keep the tags. I then asked for a copy of the contract we had signed and had my daughter read it over carefully. We discovered that if we moved the mattresses ourselves out of the apartment it would be a breach in our contract. So, of course we called back and tey told us that they were not aware of this and they would send someone to collect the infested mattresses. They never followed through on that promise so we called again today. The manager of the store said they would collect them for sure. It is currently 2:00 pm and no one has called us back. When I called back to ask if my money would be returned the manager said no it wouldnt with a rude attitude. I am now talking to lawyers and the health places. RAC is not to be trusted and they are going to be VERY sorry they tried to fck me over.
 22nd of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
well the thing is, when they feast on ur blood they get bigger and bigger until they can shed their skin which creates the dark spots. Then they start all over. We are STILL infested with them and the mattresses are still here. Its only a matter of time before they infest my daughter's bed which we had for a lonngggg time. but RAC doesnt care and we cant afford our own exterminator. we dont know wat to do to be honest.
 22nd of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
i agree with all of u. and they assured us in the contract that the mattresses were brand new. we had no idea that they would have bed bugs becuz this was our first time dealing with RAC. and my friend had bed bugs and she said that bug bombs dont work since they can hide in the walls and just come back out when the smoke is cleared. she said the only way to kill them for good is to hire an exterminator and we just dont have that kind of money...we are going to bag the mattresses though, theres no doubt in that.
 22nd of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
ya they would make us pay the mattresses in full which is ridiculous.
 22nd of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
lol nice tongue twister. i dont want mattresses from them anymore. they offered to switch them but then i would have to pay for the switched ones to. so wats the point?
 22nd of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
im looking at both and trying to get the number of the health department.
 22nd of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
k i'll do that. :) i appreciate ur guys' input and advice. thx
 22nd of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
lol i probably did. problem was i bought two mattresses so i got double the infestation. grrrr
 22nd of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
now my computer isnt showin comments even though it says i have some new ones. dammit
 12th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
Go to bedbugger. com for more info on how to kill these monsters.
 12th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
Rented in March, bites began in June?
You are too nice. I would leave the mattresses leaning against their doors with a sign, "Returning your RAC Bed Bugs"
 12th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
What I would do is go into the RAC that you rented the matress from when they are extreemly busy and speak to the customer service desk (loud enough for the other customers to hear) and ask them what they plan on doing for the bedbug infestation that they are aware of, ask them if this is normal practice to sell used mattress to customers as new, ask them what steps did they take in their own store after they were notified of the infestation of the 2 mattresses that you got from them.

Make it clear to them that you in no way intend on leaving this alone. Tell them this is not ok and their customers have the right to know that they are renting infested furnature. Tell them you know that the bed bugs will travel and get into the cracks and crevasses of any other furnature in their store.

You also can set up camp on the sidewalk outside their store (the side walk is not their property) with signs and posters about the bed bug situation. Call the news station so they can be there also to film this. If they want to screw you over then turn around is fair play. Screw them get mad and even.
 14th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
I am in the EXACT SAME BOAT here in Columbus, Ohio. Got a sectional sofa for a good price, well these damn bugs came too!! My son is ATE UP!!! They have a claim into their corporate office in Plano, TX. Supposed to get a call today. I have my finger ready to speed dial the local TV station, they would love this! MY son has to stay at my parents until I can get this straightened out, I HATE RAC!!!
 2nd of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
I'm in ky and have the same problem. I rented suppose to be 2 brand new matresses and a bed from RAC. I did the 90 days same as cash. I only owe them 80 and found out that the bites on my kids have come from bed bugs that were in the wood of the bed. That is very disgusting. My husband found the bugs crawling on my daughter one night last wk. I told them the next business day to come and get the shit. They couln't until they had someone expect it. The expector came out 4 days later and said they were only found in the bed. I then took them 24 more hours to pick up the bed. They stood outside my house in front of all my neighbors and suited up. Gown mask and everything. So imbarrasing. now they have no answers for me. What do i do now?
 2nd of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
first you can suck my cock, then hold still while i throat fuck your face till i cum down your throat
 15th of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
You guys rock!!! Thank-you!!! I've had numerous e-mails and phone calls due to my posting. RentaCenter is contaminating Arizona, Ohio, New York and many other places with bedbugs. We had a K-9 unit here in Arizona visit various RAC locations. 60 percent infested is what the exterminator has told us. CBS has come and filmed our house and plans to expose them. They (RAC) offered a paltry amount of 7000.00. (yes, they have admitted guilt but we have to sign a disclosure saying the RAC is not responsible and we can't discuss the settlement.)

It will take 10 grand just to tent the house. My cats are infested and now my bird. Good news is that last night I only had 17 bites. (this is a vast decrease over other nights) They don't even come out at night anymore but are bold enough to come out of the light sockets and dance on the ceiling during the day. We have eggs hatching out of our clothes and they are really fast looking to get their first blood meal. I have a bedbug embedded in my ear and am going to require hospitalization to remove it..as well as skin infections (from scratching), anxiety and depression. I AM a pissed off & disgusted consumer...for sure. THX
 25th of Nov, 2011 by    0 Votes
rented a bed ended up withbed but issue still hasnt been taking care of yet bruising frs been 2 months im very alergic to them cant sleep broke out all over brody caurt sleep whole trailer infested now can i sue for damages?
 26th of Nov, 2011 by    0 Votes
the bed bugs r so bad here hard for any1 to sleeep im miserable im very alergic to them its been 2 months they should put me and my kids up somewhere

Rent-A-Center Logo Rent-A-Center