logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
sify mail id
mail id is not accessible
2. (5 mins ago)
ACK Group
Fake Job Consultancy
3. (10 mins ago)
Freebingo.com
I would recommend anyone thinking of joining and playing not to do so
4. (16 mins ago)

Posted:    Austin

Terrible experience

Regency Beauty Institute
regencybeauty.com
Currently Regency is opening new locations all over the United States. I became aware of them via the internet and decided to give them a call. At the same time I was also looking into another beauty institute of equal caliber. Regency doesn't have a campus here yet while the other place does.

I went for a tour of the other school and they gave me a lot of really great information. Even though the other school impressed me I still felt that Regency was more practical because it was going to be a closer location. I decided to call Regency back and ask them question about policies that the other school had presented that made me curious as to how they compare. My admissions person was Jamie Widmer but when I called she was busy on another call so I spoke with another woman whom was african american and proved to have a rather sour and rude attitude problem.

I started asking questions such as do you supply products or are students required to do so and is the price of the kit covered by financial aid. The lady acted less than thrilled when answering my questions and really wanted to rush me off the phone. I asked her if they had information they could send me that I could look over and she huffed at me then answering we don't have any information we can send you.

My last question is what set her off, I simply asked do you have a dress code and she went off asking me if I had been talking to other schools and if this is where these questions coming from. I answered honestly by saying I had looked into one other school but felt that I preferred Regency's policies she asked me to hold on. After about 1 minute or 2 she came back on the line and said didn't you just talk to Jamie and didn't Jamie answer all of my questions already and I replied yes but she just told me that I was accepted to the school and that I never got to ask her any questions.

I felt like I did something wrong and I was getting treated like a child. Regency's behavior honestly made up my mind. I am withdrawing my application and attending the other school. I recommend you spend some time talking with Regency before you give them a dime of your money.
Comments United States Colleges and Universities
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

25th of Apr, 2009 by   Doreen 0 Votes
I'm currently in the process of attending Regency Beauty Institute based on financial aid. I guess everyone experiences each situation differently. I have to say my experience has been pleasant so far. The entire staff from the initial brochure request, application, financial aid, to the campus tour has been a complete hand holding experience.

When I first arrived at the campus here in Arlington, TX Melinda was very stunning. I have to say that I'm a single mother and running from PTA, to work, conference calls, college and whatever else life throws my way, my looks have somewhat deteriorate over the years. Melinda said not to worry we well teach you how to look your best so can make your customer look their best. She did not make me feel less than I already felt about myself.

I guess my point is if you are looking for a beauty school you just have to take the time and research your options to find the school that best fits your needs.
 27th of Apr, 2009 by   D'or P 0 Votes
I am currently enrolled and set to start May 26, 2009 at the Saint Peters location. My first point of contact with Regency was Cheyanne, she was helpful, friendly and informative.Then I met the campus manager Michelle whom made me feel welcome, and secure. My decision took me a matter of hours. From the very first time I spoke with Cheyanne and went in later that day for the tour and enrollment I knew that Regency would be my new learning home. The atmosphere, the people and the high-standards that they live up to are amazing. Not to mention the state-of-the-art facilities !!! I'm excited and I feel like I'm going to get the best education around from this school. It's funny actually b/c I came to Regency b/c another school in Saint louis, MO was so rude that it was ridiculous. So I found them and I am estatic. Maybe you just got her on a bad day. Also, being african-american has nothing to do with her attitude or actions. :)
 26th of Aug, 2009 by   WhenTruthPrevails +1 Votes
I went to Regency Beauty Institute in St. Louis MO, the location off of Lemay Ferry.
On the tour they made everything sound amazing, and it turned out to be the most horrible experience of my life and the biggest waste of money. The whole student body went through many problems with the school on so many levels. They were unorganized, unproffessional, unhelpful, and only in it for the money.
I tried numerous times on various levels with the company to solve my problems because I really wanted to finish there. In the end I quit after half of my hours and wrote a long letter to the board explaining my unhappiness with the school. I got some of my money back (they charged me per hour instead of all the tuition, which is what they try to do if you hit half your hours). I still feel I didn't get compensated for all the hardships I went through. It was ridiculous. I plan to transfer to another school but beware, if you start somewhere and don't like it you can usually only transfer up to 500 hours so 250 of my hours will be gone and a waste of time and money.
Regency has had more than one lawsuit filed against them for promises they made and never followed through on and many complaints. My mother knows the person who does all the inspections for beauty schools and he has told her that Regency is one of the worst and National, while it has a reputation for being a little lower end, is actually one of the best. It's probably where I'll end up going.
Long to short, DON'T SIGN UP FOR REGENCY. It was such a disappointment. I was so excited to start my career in cosmetology and that place really took the wind out of my sails, and most of the people I knew from there felt the same way.
 2nd of Sep, 2009 by   complaint5 +1 Votes
I attended Regency Beauty Institute, and recently graduated. It was the biggest regret of my life. I wasted my time and money. I feel like I did not get the education I paid for. They were always unorganized, changing rules every week, and the manager is very rude. I called corporate and they do nothing to help the situation. I still can't believe I am going to be paying this off for a good while, when I got nothing from it. I would not recommend this school to anyone. They make it seem so modern and up to date, but you could learn more from any other school, and they might actually take time to teach you and help you, than steal your money like Regency will.
 26th of Feb, 2010 by   recentgraduate -1 Votes
I attended a different beauty school and graduated. And to put it plainly, all of your complaints on here are the same ones that I had at my school. The thing with cosmetology schools, is that the instructors haven't been trained on how to instruct. You will be given the very basics during school and must make the most out of this by trying new things and watching videos and learning day to day, on the floor, by challenging yourself.

The majority of what you will learn, how to really perfect and hone your skills, will be in the salon. Most salons will train you and don't expect you to be a professional right out of school.

All in all, I think the caliber of all of these schools is about the same.
 31st of Mar, 2010 by   sunshineeeeee 0 Votes
I had been attending Regency Beauty Institute in Wichita, Kansas. A few days ago i was forced to un enroll due to a fake "policy" not accepting doctors notes and and make up hours when the enrollment contract says "The Student and the School acknowledge that he/she should not rely upon, any prior statement agreements, whether oral or written, except those set forth in this agreement...An amendments to this agreement must be in writing and signed by both the student and the school."
Regency is also going against their refund policy, stated in section s of the contract, and charging people more money. Regency is scamming many other students in all campus' around the united states. Lets put an end to this.
 7th of Apr, 2010 by   Wynona moore holland +1 Votes
i am curently attending regency in winston salem n.c and i am on financial aid my entire experience with the staff, the students and the entire coorperate office was very pleasent and i truly wouldnt go to another school for anything...the entire enrollment process was a breeze thanks to these guys at regency and everything was done in a very timely manner.
 8th of Apr, 2010 by   sunshineeeeee 0 Votes
They will get you they always do
 17th of Apr, 2010 by   oieofk90 0 Votes
Fuck Regency. Biggest regret of my life.
 22nd of Apr, 2010 by   Lexus1 0 Votes
I'm a former student and I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone! They are focused on the wrong things, they make you sell products, wash, and fold towels, and clean up their building as if we were janitors. It's like you're at work. They waste so much time on product knowledge, especially if you don't plan on using Redkin products. As for the teaching, its okay I did learn things while in class, but I was totally lost when I was put on the floor. My attendance dropped and so did my confidence. I was in hell!!! They could be inappropriate when it came to their African American students, everything was black and white. They used the few black people for examples of coarse hair like they didn't make us purchase 5 manikin heads which was really stupid, and sometimes embarrassing. They just made everything so hard to do, we had to bring in models for everything!!! Why is my grade affected by my friends and family's willingness to drive all the way to my campus, and receive services that they don't want? (I don't know anyone who gets perms so what would I be failed because of that?) Our campus manager Miss Michelle is a total fake, she knows what to say to get you to enroll and then she couldn't care less about you after you're stuck. Our Floor manager Connie drives everybody crazy!!! She walks around looking for something to bitch about, she really has a problem. She has one of the worst attitudes I've ever come across, she's a rude know it all!!! The way she walks around telling people what to do, you would think she was the campus manager. Miss Michelle acts all nice, and uses Connie to do her dirty work because she doesn't want to look like the bad guy. They don't teach you anything about African American hair, because they don't know anything about it except that it's coarse lol I truly wish someone would have warned me about this school because it's definitely not worth the money, they charge way to much to be so basic. They don't even have to pay for janitors, or a front desk worker because we're forced to do that!!! Oh and the Advisers are lazy, rude, and very unprofessional! They lose paper work, and expect you to fax things over and over, it's just ridiculous!!! Regency is well below average, and one of my biggest mistakes. Regency Beauty Institute St.Peters, Mo is where this took place.
 12th of May, 2010 by   Ex-Regency Student (transfer) +2 Votes
I transferred out of Regency after clocking a little half of the required hours. I was almost done with the program but I couldn't take it any more. I was literally going crazy. As was everyone else around me. Regency Beauty Institute is hands down the worst experience of my life. I transferred to a different school and now I am happy and I know how to do hair! At Regency the teachers would talk about other students behind their backs, they would take sides and be sexist/racist, there were constantly uncontrolled fights between students and sometimes even between students and teachers. The teacher would take sides and they wouldn't mark down stamps for you when you wrapped a perm or did a style simply because they 'didn't like you.' One teacher, when asked a question, would just say over and over the year that he retires and walk away. Regency Corporate doesn't care about anything you have to say. They treat you like dirt (even before you start, as evidenced in the above original post). All you are to them is $17, 000 with legs. Student Council was a joke and anytime they tried to do something good the students would just harass them. Regency Corporate lies out of their ass. When I transferred I owed them money. When I first called them, they told me how much I owed. I got a letter in the mail that said something different. I called them back to see what the deal was and I talked to the same person. They told me that they never said anything about me owing a different amount and lied right to me. Their system of learning isn't very good either. In "Rehearsal" you are supposed to learn advanced techniques. Or so they say. I was in Rehearsal for about six months and I didn't learn a goddamn thing. All they did was read out of our outdated textbook. (Which was from 1994). I could have spent $60 on a book and learned more than I did spending 750+ hours at Regency and spending $17, 000. I was rude to the corporate people on the phone but they deserved it. They have treated me like I was a piece of crap every time they called me. If you are thinking about going to Regency. PLEASE! DO NOT GO! SAVE YOURSELF AND DO NOT GO TO REGENCY INSTITUTE! Seriously, any other school would be better.

I spent half of my time at Regency and half at a different school. Don't listen to people who say "all beauty schools are the same" because they only went to ONE SCHOOL. I have been to two and I know for a fact that that statement is NOT TRUE. Go to a Paul Mitchell school, an Aveda school, or a Vidal Sassoon school. Those are the best. Everything else might be the same as Regency. True, no school is perfect, but at the same time, no school is as bad as Regency. Believe me.
 9th of Jun, 2010 by   Brittany1989 +1 Votes
I totally agree with what every one is saying about regency being the biggest regret! I graduated in Aug. 09' and havent been able to find a job! I feel like I didnt learn enough while attending the school! This is rediculous that I will have to pay for this when I don't feel confident in what i was taught. I will be going back to school for something else where I will actually LEARN! :)
 19th of Jun, 2010 by   cbice +1 Votes
My daughter is going to school at Regency in South Bend Indiana. We thought this school was wonderful they SEEMED very eager and helpful to help out my daughter. But when she started going there ONLY one teacher there is helpful to the students .The other teachers have their favorites and when the walk-ins come in they get them they are not evenly distribute towards ALL the students now $10, 000.00 later she still need to be there because she doesn’t have all her marks BUT the students that are the favorite floor manager (who gives the students the walk-ins) get to graduate ON TIME funny how that works so she is so close to graduating and now $260. A week to be there longer is just crazy the educators need to know without your students you have no job there. I will never recommend anyone to go here in South Bend Regency!!!
 12th of Jul, 2010 by   bbbl 0 Votes
I have been attending Regency and it is the biggest mistake of my life. The school is a joke and they dont care about you. All they want is your money. They make promises they cant keep and you will not learn much attending these schools. If I were anyone out there considering in attending any of their schools I would really think twice. Save your money and do lots of reserch before you attend a school. Students go to Regency school thinking its the best of the best since they have been brained washed during tour, but once theyre in an realize the truth they withdraw.
 23rd of Jul, 2010 by   in debt and uneducated, thanks regency 0 Votes
I am currently a student at South Bend Regency. Just a couple months away from graduating. I still feel as if I havent learned a damn thing. HUGE waste of my money. I spend 40 hours a week there, and then another 40 hours a week online trying to learn what they ARENT teaching me. I am completely unprepared for finals and state boards, as well as securing a position in a real salon. I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT I AM DOING, because NOT ONE SINGLE EDUCATOR teaches in this school. I have repeatedly spoken with management and corporate, asking, BEGGING for additional instruction in haircutting, coloring, and numerous other skills. Only to be put off, reprimanded and pushed aside, REPEATEDLY. What a sorry excuse for a school. RUN, RUN, RUN from this school. Or you too, will regret it.
 28th of Jul, 2010 by   nez2009 +1 Votes
I am currently enrolled with Regency in Nashville, TN and it's HORRIBLE!!! They are lying to us about our financial aid checks...I am a 19 year old mother of a 7 month old little boy, my fiancee works at night so I can go to school and fulfill my dream of being a Cosmetologist...I am gone from my child Monday through Friday for 8 hours a day...This is a HUGE sacrifice for me as I have never been away from my child until I started here...I am a member of student council my attendance is a 96% and my academics are a 95%...they have NO sympathy what so ever that these checks are what my family relies on to pay our rent as we just moved down here in January and have had severe problems with finding work...I have been doing my Campus Manager's job for about 3 days now calling financial aid and the loan company itself to find out what's going on...but REGENCY just says they have no idea what I am talking about and they can't help me and when I asked what they suggest I do about money they simply told me " Just tell your landlord you won't be paying your rent for the next couple months, it's not my problem" Our campus is not even accredited yet and we are taking clients on the performance floor...We were supposed to get our checks July 1st of 2010 and we have no received a dime...NO ONE WILL HELP US!!! They don't give us lunch breaks when we are out on the floor and what's the biggest joke of it all when you are getting ready to clock out at 5:00 pm it clocks you out for 4:30pm because they don't want to get in trouble for not giving you a break...We also have to buy all this extra stuff for rehearsal class that I obviously can't afford...What am I paying 17, 000 dollars for I thought that's what we pay money for so that the school provides you with EVERYTHING you will need to attend there...The rules change EVERY DAY...Everyone is unorganized and unhelpful...no one is on the same page about anything...We did get blessed with amazing instructors but even they don't like the rules/ways of Regency and it's not what they thought it was going to be either...We are just trying to be something in this world and they are just tearing it down...They made it seem like they were going to help us and be there for us and meet our needs...they sound so nice and peachy on the phone and the first couple weeks...but I believe it is only to entice you in and to get your money also...it's a joke and I have HAD IT...This is messing with my son and you don't mess with anyone's financial in general...I am not a person who is money hungry I am just barely getting by and was dependin on that money to keep me afloat...I am very disappointed and wish I would have made a better decision...
 4th of Aug, 2010 by   Dani Lynn 0 Votes
I attended Regency part-time and it was the worse experience EVER!!! I was one of the 1st part-time students of a new campus in Nashville, TN and it was so unorganized. The facility is beautiful and we had some great instructions but the problem came from headquarters. We(students) were given incorrect information in orientation pertaining to stateboard. We were informed that tuition covered our 1st stateboard exam, which was not true. After a few months one of the good instructors was terminated which started the downfall because from that day forward we were always short of instructors. With full-time students being on the performace floor and needing an instructor, part-timers would lack and instructor. I can go on and on but I will make it short. I'm am re-paying $16, 000 for an education that I did not receive. Had it not been for the caring Cosmetologist that this particular facility had I don't know where I would be. Those women bent over backwards to give us what was needed just so we could function in the real world and sorry to say there is only 1 that is still employed at that campus. All the others have left and one has opened up her own salon just for graduating students to give them what is needed because of the lack of education we received. I would NOT recommend my worst enemy to attend this school.
 5th of Aug, 2010 by   D'or P +1 Votes
I completely agree with all the posts here !!! Regency is the WORST cosmetology school ever !!! I attended RBI in Saint Peters last spring and when I first started, I was so excited and life could not be greater until I enrolled and found it to be one of the most horrible schools ever !!! I then had to withdraw due to unforeseen circumstances. Mainly encouraged by my campus manager Michelle. Therefore, I formally withdrew and was told I could re-enroll whenever I needed to in the future. Well the time was right so about a month ago I gave them a call asking to speak with Rebecca Teal so that I could re-enroll. I ended up speaking with Erica and she put the paperwork through for me and told me they would call me back. Well three weeks later i still had not heard from them so I decided to give them a call and they said I had been denied. I was shocked and confused my grades were all 98% or higher, my attendance was low of course but nothing that couldn't be overcome but still in all I couldn't understand why I had been denied my return. So of course, no one knew anything outside of the fact that I could appeal my decision. Well that just didn't sit right so about a week ago I called back and found out that I couldn't return because apparently my "personality isn't a good fit with that location" ?!? Well what the hell is that supposed to mean I asked, I was informed that, that was a decision made by my campus manager. I hung up so quick and called her but of course, Michelle didn't know anything about that "sug". Her claim was well I heard, but I'm not really sure. I'm thinking of course you heard, damnit you wrote according to them...lol during the conversation Michelle strongly encouraged me to go to another school, , , huhhh ??? Wow, well she said that b/c there were students, mind you students who were no longer in attendance there, that didn't like me as a person and decided to harass me while I wasn't even at school that I couldn't return. How the hell is it that I can't return b/c someone disliked me enough to put a key lock on my locker and leave a threatening note inside my locker !!?!! So I said whatever and began my search for the best damn cosmetology school Missouri has to offer, only to end up having to call them back and ask them for transcripts that they won't give me because the claim I owe them $5, 000 !!! Last information I received from them was last year stating that I owed them $1, 800 not $5, 000. So basically, I can't go anywhere else and I can't return to Regency ?!? The woman’s response on the other end was "Well pay your balance then". Wow, I couldn't believe my ears. Excuse my French but, Bitch if I had $5, 000 just laying around I surely wouldn't be on the phone with you !!! So long, story short I will have to start from scratch at a new school. I guess that's not so bad but after I am through with Regency they're going to with that they just had have accepted my re-entry. I will NEVER recommend anyone ever go to Regency, there is nothing regal about them. They treat you just like a dollar sign !!!
 12th of Aug, 2010 by   BULLCRAP SCHOOLS +1 Votes
REGENCY IS THE WORST SCHOOL EVER!!!...I HATE THAT SCHOOL I HAVE GONE THROUGH SO MUCH MESS, DRAMA, AND JUST CRAP...EVERYBODY THAT READS THESE PLEASE LETS COME TOGETHER AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT REGENCY'S ALL OVER THE WORLD BECAUSE WHAT I HAVE READ I HAVE GONE THROUGH MYSELF SO IT BEST TO JUST DO THIS RIGHT AND REALLY GO CIVIL WITH THIS WHOLE REGENCY BEAUTY BULL CRAP INSTITUTE CAUSE THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT ...THANK U TO ALL THAT ARE TRYING TO GO TO THE LAW ABOUT THE WHOLE SITUATION...BECAUSE WHEN IM THROUGH WITH REGENCY THE ONE IN WINSTON SALEM, NORTH CAROLINA. THEY WILL BE SHUT DOWN...
 16th of Aug, 2010 by   Notsomedumbstudent +1 Votes
Regency is a scam. I go to a location in Illinois and the campus head WAY over promised me and under delivered. She acted like she was my best friend before she got my money, but then soon after I started and got some money, she turned crazy. Our stamps are always wrong, she is incapable of making a decision, and blames the students for every problem that happens.

As soon as I realized that the school is not run by qualified people and that I was not going to grow in the direction that wanted to, then I called my counselor to see about transferring to another school. A local less expensive school called pivot point accepted me and I was ready to go. Yet, my counselor never called me back and after I called 4 times, she told me that I could not go anywhere till I paid them 70% of my tuition. I was only 300 hours in and still have 12oo to go. It was in the contract that I signed unfortunately. Once you go there, find out how they work, you are then financially locked in to go there.

Also, If you miss school, you owe them money per hour, and its easy to miss hours, especially when working all day and in a part time program. Other schools, also allow their students to get hours while working in a salon...or you can make up hours without paying. Yet, one would not know to ask these questions till they are in hair school and go through the experience.

Before starting, I asked if the school helped us put a portfolio together and If we got opportunities to do fashion shows. I was told YES! That has never happened.

Then I got a great opportunity to work for a major cosmetics company, I just needed to have a teacher supervise me while I used their products on clients. I asked that campus head if I could get one of the teachers to help me with this opportunity and she said no...because it would be favoritism, so now I’m missing out on work opportunities because I go to Regency. A student a pivot point got the job over me. Her beauty program was willing to help her, unlike mine.

Some of my teachers are good and in all honesty, I feel bad for them because I'm sure they got into the business to help students grow too. Instead they are stuck running a campus of unhappy students, which can’t be healthy for anyone.

...Oh and then there is unfair suspensions, like when you park less than 500 feet by the school. That’s three day suspension, which you must pay for. The campus manager was heard saying "man we need more students with money, I need more money." Any way they can financially suck you dry they will. If your not in school, they make money. PERIOD!!! Life happens and things come up, its unfair.

The last thing that happened this week is that we not only have to park 500 feet away from the school but also that they will not take credit cards or checks as your monthly payments...ONLY CASH. Oh on the 15th of every month, which means that the students in the back parking lot can get robbed easily because everyone knows when the payments are due and that we are now only carrying cash.

This place is highly emotional and a huge mess. I'm not sure what our tuition is going towards because the people running these schools are not qualified and they are always running out of products. The wax is unsanitary and the make-up display is not used by the students because it looks discussing.

College Education for $1,000 a Year Only