logo

FAKEID REVIEWS ARE POSTING FAKE REVIEWS

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

RedBox, California Complaints & Reviews - Questionable business practices!

RedBox Contacts & Informations

RedBox

Posted:    Lani Loo

Questionable business practices!

RedBox
California
www.RedBox.com
You may have noticed large red DVD rental kiosks in your local supermarket installed by a company called "RedBox." I was so excited as it seemed so convenient to rent a DVD this way, and it was "only" .99 per night. However, I've now paid the same price I'd pay at Blockbuster video for a new release, and I have not had any response to my request for assistance from RedBox (via their website OR their toll free number).

When I went to return the DVD the following day, their kiosk was down, which means you have NO WAY TO RETURN THE DVD, AND CHARGES CONTINUE TO ACCRUE TO YOUR CREDIT CARD THAT YOU SWIPED TO RENT IT. When I phoned them from the kiosk as instructed (using my cell phone which has a pay-as-you-go plan) I was on hold for 15-16 minutes, and repeatedly encouraged by a computer voice to leave a voicemail message for them, and that they would return the message in 24 hours. We are going on 120 hours, and counting...

So I sent them e-mails over the weekend requesting assistance. No response to those, either. And my card continues to be charged... DO NOT RENT A DVD FROM REDBOX! It is a consumer protection nightmare because you can't get a live person to help you. Just walk over to your nearest video rental store and rent your movies the old fashioned way.
Comments United States Entertainment
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

31st of Dec, 2007 by   LeGris +2 Votes
I don't know about where you live, but in my city, there is a RedBox on every corner... You can take them back to any of them, not just the one you rented from.
 19th of Jan, 2008 by   Margaret McDonald 0 Votes
I rented a dvd from reddbox. When I returned the movie, I discovered that my son had put another dvd in the case that I had returned. It was an otis Redding cd that belonged to my husband.
I panicked! I called the company to try and correct the matter.

They told me to mail the dvd in. Of course, I wanted my dvd back and I asked how could I get it back. The lady told me that I could call back in a couple of weeks. I could not meet with anybody to try and retrieve my cd. Since then, I have called several times, but have not been successful in getting my cd back. I have been told different things by different people when I call. Don't rent movies from REDBOX. They are a SCAM. They are not honest and is not a good business. I also blame Walmart for having them on their property.

Margaret
 20th of Jan, 2008 by   Gary 0 Votes
I have never kept any DVD's from redbox more than 1 or 2 days. Everything has been going fine in the 5 or more months i've been renting from them. Until they charged me 60 dollars one morning for movies they say i kept out. Redbox is the biggest scam there is. DO NOT RENT FROM REDBOX. When I called them and told them they told me I kept them and they wouldn't give me my money back. To Hell With Them.
 12th of Jul, 2008 by   ginger jay 0 Votes
I have rented several movies from the red box at my local grocery store and all was well for a while- until the last two times I rented when I was charged for an extra day even though the movie was returned on time. The first time I let it go- hey it's only a buck right? But the second time I called (left a message- no one called me back) and then emailed. They said they couldn't find my account and needed more information. So I sent more information. They wrote back- they had that information- they needed DIFFERENT information. So I sent different information. Then they wrote back- what was my problem again? What movie did I rent? What was the name on the account? Where was it rented? BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH- I sent the same information OVER AND OVER AND OVER for WEEKS all for .99 cents. And I never got my money back- they said all the information from my transaction had been "lost". Maybe I should let it go but it is the PRINCIPAL of the matter- they are a FRAUD, they will RIP YOU OFF. And they DO NOT CARE about their customers. Call the better business bureau- report them- shut them down. I plan to.
 21st of Aug, 2008 by   Theresa Rogers -2 Votes
MY DAUGHTER FOUND HERSELF IN THE SAME SITUATION AS MANY OF YOU. SHE RENTED MOVIES FROM RED BOX IN GLEN BURNIE MARYLAND. THEY SAID SHE NEVER RETURNED THE MOVIES AND TOOK 125.00 OUT OF HER ACCOUNT. WHEN WE CALLED TO COMPLAIN THEY SAID THEY WOULD SEND A TECH OUT TO CHECK THE BOX. OF COURSE THEY COULD NOT FIND THEM. THEY DONT GIVE PAPER RECEIPTS SO HOW CAN YOU FIGHT THEM? THE CUSTOMER SERVICE WE GOT SUCKED. NO ONE THERE KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING AND WE KEPT GETTING DIFFERENT STORIES ABOUT WHAT HAPPEND. DONT RENT MOVIES FROM THEM THEY ARE A SCAM. I AM CALLING BETTER BUISNESS AND MAKE A FORMAL COMPLAINT. I THINK I WILL CALL THE STATES ATTORNEY ALSO. THESE PEOPLE NEED TO BE STOPPED FROM RIPPING US OFF.
 11th of Sep, 2008 by   Glen Robertson -1 Votes
Yesterday (Wednesday 9/10/08) I rented the movie "Untraceable" which is a good movie .
That was the ONLY good part of renting a movie using Redbox .
Please PLEASE PLEASE DON'T RENT ANY Movies using this service as you will be RIPPED OFF !!!
This is a scam & I am reporting REDBOX to the BBB & filing a complaint with my state's Attorney general.

This company will drain your bank accnt or credit card if you do nothing to stop them !
So to summarize "DON'T RENT ANYTHING FROM REDBOX, AVOID THAT REDBOX KIOSK AT ALL COSTS .
Also please ask Wal-Mart to remove it from their store .
I am sending a certified letter of complaint to Wal-mart about RedBox & it's horrible service !
RedBox unless you immediately change your bad ways I promise you, I will do my best to put you out of business & save Wal-Mart customers lot's of grief !
 13th of Sep, 2008 by   Nick 0 Votes
I rented a movie on Friday night and returned the next day. After 7 days, I got an email saying I didn't return until the 7th day. I called up the customer service and she said she will send a technician to check out the machine and it will take 7-10 business days. It has been a week. I called in to check out the status. The 1.866.REDBOX3 number no longer routes to the customer service. It says "For a charge of $5.49, you can hang up and dial 10.1516.8000."

This redbox company really needs to get shutdown. The business pratice is beyond SCAM. We don't want this kind of immoral business practice in America.
 23rd of Sep, 2008 by   karin 0 Votes
We have the same problem with Redbox. After timely returning the movie wie rented, Redbox charged us $25, claiming that we had kept the DVD. This is a horrible company, with completely inept customer service, and most importantly: they are thieves who instead of getting a handle on their inventory, charge their customers!

I plan on filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at:

Consumer Response Center
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20580
 14th of Oct, 2008 by   Janet Fields 0 Votes
This copmany makes a habit of charging customers for dvd's that have been returned. I have viewed over 300 complaints just today. The same thing happened to me and I have complained to the BBB, the State's Atty for OK, and to Redbox by email and phone. Their customer service rep claimed to be a supervisor but would not give her name or identifying number, could not explain why I have not heard from them in 3 months, refused to send me written results of an audit of their machine or to send me written audit procedures. She claimed an audit had been done the day after my complaint (08/18/08), while another rep said none had been done, and another claimed that it was a remote location which would take at least 3 weeks to "get to". I heard a lot of doubletalk about a complimentary refund (what is that?) but no clear indication that I was getting one. Needless to say, as of this date I have not. It is a matter of principal now with me, and I will pursue it. And hopefully, the judge will award me legal fees as well.

I'll write the FTC now. That was something I had not yet done.
 15th of Nov, 2008 by   bleusun 0 Votes
I rented from Redbox twice. The box does not provide any type of documentation once the DVD is returned. I just found that Redbox charged my account almost $30.00 for a DVD that I did return. I called the company and explained that I did return the DVD, and in fact, they did have a record that I returned the two DVDs I rented with the one they say I did not return. I was told by the person at the complaint center that I would have to wait three weeks for an "audit" of the redbox's contents, and IF my DVD was found, I would be credited back the money. I told them the money would be credited back immediately, or I would be calling the NC state attorney general's office with a complaint on Monday AM. I then asked to speak to a supervisor. After waiting on hold for over 1o min, the service person came back to the line and told me that my account will be refunded within three to five business days. If my account is not refunded, I will be calling the attorney general's office and placing a complaint with their fraud unit. Additionally, I will NEVER rent form the redbox again. I re-enrolled in Netflix. Once, Netflix sent me a letter saying they did not recieve a DVD from me. I did return it. They simply wrote back saying if I continued to lose DVDs, my account would be charged, but I have gotten numerous DVDs from Netflix and they have never over-charged me or charged me additional fees.
 26th of Nov, 2008 by   Advertise that 0 Votes
BOTH times I rented it's a nightmare. the first time the machine couldn't "read" the DVD upc so box wouldn't allow the return. so I call, they tell me to go to another location (15 miles away). that machine couldn't read it either. then they told me to force the machine to take the DVD, but I had to be on the phone with them at the time.
This second time I rented the box had a note "will not accept any returns" when I tried to return. Can't return today, tomorrow if Thanksgiving store closed--there's another $2.00 for nothing, not to mention my spending an hour on hold.
When you figure the charges, the gas, cell minutes, and if your time is only worth min wage, you could've more than paid for the DVD, brand new.
I'm going to complain to the stores that have these bloodsuckers (Walmart, HyVee, etc). They need to know that this reflects on them too.
 21st of Dec, 2008 by   RedboxDamagedMyPlayer 0 Votes
My Wife and I discovered Redbox and thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. We got three movies, took them home, and played the first one, with no problems. The second one, however, failed to play and froze up my machine, after making a strange 'bink' noise. I had to unplug the DVD player, plug it back in, and eject the DVD. When I did, I immediately noticed the problem. Redbox uses a small, circular barcode sticker in the center of their DVDs. It's there to identify the DVD and allow their kiosk to scan it back into the system. Unfortunately, this sticker was way off-center. You can't do that with a DVD or CD, because it creates an imbalance and can cause damge to the player when the disc spins up to be read. Blockbuster tried this years ago (placing ID stickers in the center of their game discs), but stopped, for that very reason. Now, I can't get ANY DVDs to play on my player, which means that Redbox's DVD destroyed it. I contacted them and got sent to a supervisor, who refused to do anything about it, claiming that the Terms and Conditions protected them. I tried to point out that the T&C does not protect them from negligence, but he would not budge. I told him that I would hold on to the disc and contact the Michigan Attorney General's Office, which is exactly what I'll be doing tomorrow morning.

I recommend that one does NOT use this service. Everyone I know understands that the use of stickers on a DVD or CD cannot be safely achieved, due to the very real problem of incorrect placement, which, in turn, wil create an imbalance of the disc and cause damage to the player. Why this company would use this method of keeping track of their inventory and returns, instead of the much safer and economical way of ink imprinting, I will never know. Please, stay away from this company!
 25th of Feb, 2009 by   Mike 0 Votes
REDBOX HAS RIPPED ME OFF TOO!!!
I AM IN AUSTIN, TX. I AM GOING TO PRINT OUT SIGNS AND TAPE THEM TO REDBOX MACHINES ABOUT HOW I WAS RIPPED OFF AND HOW THE REDBOX CUSTOMER SERVICE REP HAS TOLD ME THAT I "SHOULD HAVE READ" ALL THE FINE PRINT!!!
I URGE ALL TO PRINT OUT AND TAPE WARNINGS ON A REDBOX NEAR YOU!!!
 25th of Feb, 2009 by   Mike 0 Votes
REDBOX HAS RIPPED ME OFF TOO!

CUSTOMER SERVICE REP TOLD ME THAT I "SHOULD HAVE READ" ALL THE FINE PRINT ON THE WEBSITE BEFORE I WAS OVERCHARGED AND MY BANK ACCOUNT WAS OVERDRAWN...

DON'T LET THEM RIP YOU OFF TOO!
PRINT OUT AND TAPE WARNINGS ON A REDBOX NEAR YOU!
 13th of Mar, 2009 by   asdfdefa -1 Votes
You should have read all the fine print, you fucking retard. Learn to read TOS and Fine Print before you use company services. You get more ripped off at the grocery store when your coupons dont work. It's people like you that make the terrorists hate us.
 24th of Mar, 2009 by   madrenter 0 Votes
I had been renting from RedBox for a few years now and I had no problem with the service until last week. They started this free rental on Wednesdays in March, so I tried. I returned it the next day around 8pm and I made sure that the machine took it back correctly. 2 days later, I saw on my receipt that I got charged for $2 and -$1 with the coupon (which it should be free) and said the dvd was returned around midnight. BS! I wrote to them and guess what they said? At the end, they just stated whatever my receipt said. Do I need to get the surveillance tape to prove it? Or this is just another way the scam from customers.
 23rd of Apr, 2009 by   dmcmeans 0 Votes
I should think if you used a credit card to rent the movie, you could dispute the charge if RedBox is uncooperative. As for those who say they didn't get a receipt, didn't you specify and email address? If you don't use email, then RedBox probably isn't the service you want. BlockBuster is still in business. However, I agree, RedBox is not readily responsive to complaints about their service. You get what you pay for, I guess.
 10th of May, 2009 by   wav3form +1 Votes
Redbox ripped off my wife for 60 bucks. They said they'd have to send a tech to audit the machine but it's been 3 weeks after they said this would happen. They said they'd credit half the money until that happened but they never did that. I'm calling them again tomorrow to find out what's going on and if they don't credit her account it's on like Donkey Kong. Executive email bomb, BBB, Attorney General, consumerist.com, posting notices on the Redbox kiosk itself, etc. I will make sure they lose more than the 60 dollars they stole from my wife. I will keep it up for months, even years. They want to play? So do I. Steal 60 bucks from my wife? I'll steal thousands from you. REDBOX!!! :shakesfist:
 18th of May, 2009 by   Redbox Sux +1 Votes
I just checked my bank account and was charged $25 for a dvd I returned! They also said they will audit the machine and see if they find it; which Im sure they wont. What a rip off!!! Never rent from red box!
 4th of Jun, 2009 by   joana 0 Votes
RED BOX has arrived. They are now the quintessential American Company. They lost two DVDs I returned, they continued to charge my card until they found them, about $20.00 and they returned me $2.00 Isn't that just like what we have recently come to know as the American way. Screw the consumer as much possible, never admit your lack of service, fraudulent practices or mistakes, overcharge, overbill and cheat. You have made it RED BOX!!! You are in with all the other American Companies now.

5 Options for Students Struggling with Loans