logo

Hertz Italiana
extra charges
5. (2 hrs 2 mins ago)
Abercrombie, Hollister
Descrimination against heathy sized girls

Consumer Tips & Tricks

RedBox

Posted:    M.Kennedy

Overcharging

Redbox
I just discovered Redbox rentals in my town last week and thought I would try it out. I rented a movie, took it home and returned it the next day. I did this a few times over the last week and returned each movie on time. I thought it was odd that you don't get a receipt for your returns, and now I know why. I looked at my checking account statement online this morning and noticed all these charges for $2's and $4's from redbox. There were about 7 different charges on there. I haven't even rented 7 movies from them. I have been getting charged every night for the last few nights from these people so I have had to cancel my debit card and apply for a new one. I have tried contacting this company but no one answered . This company is a scam!!! I will never use them again.
Comments United States DVD Order & Rental
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

6th of Jan, 2009 by   indiegurrl 0 Votes
I know what you mean! i just called to check my bank account, and im negative! i just came home to see why and redbox charged our card twice for a movie that was never vended, due to technical problems with the box itself, then i was charged last night when i used a promo code. i had less than 2 bucks in the bank yesterday (yeah yeah, im poor. what can i say), but if i use a promo code i should not be charged, right? well because of the $3 total i should not have been billed for, they put me negative $40! and right at this very moment i am trying to get through to customer support and it says its busy. their billing system is all messed up. its bs.
 29th of Jan, 2009 by   bpinin 0 Votes
I have vowed to boycott Redbox. I rented a movie, and returned it the next day before the deadline (9pm in our area). 3 days later I get an email stating I kept the movie for 4 days and was charged $4.
This was the first time I was ever able to actually reach Redbox tech support. I got a refund, which took 5 days. However, the inconvenience of never knowing if a returned movie gets checked into their system isn't a risk I want to take with my debit card. One other drawback of the system, is this: even if you want to drop off a movie, you still wait in line behind sometimes a dozen people browsing and renting movies. I've been in line 30 minutes before to return a movie. The cheap rental rate isn't worth the inconvenience.
 30th of Jan, 2009 by   momo76 0 Votes
I agreed, RedBox is shaddy! I rented 2 movies and watch it the same night. Return both the next day before 9pm, I live across the street from the store that had Redbox. No way in hell I would be late on that. I call customer service and they say I only return one of the movie and kept the other for 6 more days, that's ridiculous! That's $6+52cents tax. extra charge on my credit card. The Rep try to offer me 2 free promo code for 2 movies one night rental! That's only $2.18, they are pocketing $4.34 from the extra charge. $6.52- $2.18. I didn't take the bait so I ask to talk to someone higher! They put me on hold then return and said they give me the onetime courtesy and credit me back. We'll see if they keep their words or I'll have to take it up higher.
 11th of Feb, 2009 by   annoyedintampa 0 Votes
My mom and I rented four movies from them several weeks ago, and I did return the movies technically one day late by their 9 pm return time, however they charged my moms debit card for over 110 bucks! When we called them they said we never returned the movies at all. After I complained they finally emailed me and said they would send a technician out within ten days to confirm the movies were returned. They had the nerve to ask me "what exactly did the screen say when you returned them?" I don't know what the screen said! That was almost a month ago! Get real. My mom and I have told them we will never use them again, and no one in my family will use them now. I'm going to blockbuster online.
 15th of Mar, 2009 by   ajytown 0 Votes
Redbox steals from its customers had over 65.00 in charges for 2 rentals that were out 7 days. Had to get past bank statements to realize the same charges on a monthly basis they email to verify returns but still bill weeks after returns are made. Have stopped renting from them, rather rent from store then have money stolen from my checking account.
 28th of Aug, 2009 by   cap10156 0 Votes
I used to use REDBOX a lot, however now everytime I rent a movie they tend to either overcharge at the begining or delay the charges and almost always have double charged. I have spoken with their customer service department and they never, never, never, never accept responsibility, they always say they have 90 days to charge you, but since they don't provide receipts ( except via emial, which they will say the email only reflects that the movie was rented and not affect the charges...what?)...so I've had to dispute my card through Visa. The company has a great idea but either grew too fast or made a decision to operate on the fringe of honesty...I won't rent anymore movies again!...
 13th of Dec, 2009 by   GandJ20yearsstay 0 Votes
Same thing just happened to me. Never had a problem until now, they do not accept responsibility that there could be a problem on their end, told me I returned it wrong, yes it's way too technical for a college graduate as myself to put a DVD in a slot and read on the screen that my DVD was returned successfully. They don't give you a return receipt which is what should happen, their customer support answered after being on hold for over 30 minutes and said it was a one time courtesey that they would refund the charges and I said don't worry it won't happen again because I won't use your service any longer. Hello NETFLIX here I come.
 19th of May, 2010 by   MICHELLE CRAWFORD 0 Votes
I RENTED REDBOX MOVIES FOR MY DAUGHTERS BIRTHDAY. WHICH WAS APRIL 8 TRIED TO RETURN THEM REDBOX WAS BROKEN. CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE SAID SHE WOULD TAKE THE CHARGES OFF. DIDNT HAPPEN. TODAY WENT TO BANK TO GET MONEY AND THEY HAD TAKEN OUT 72 DOLLARS FOR THE MOVIES, SO I CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE SPOKE WITH ROBYN AND A SUPERVISOR TODD SAID COULDN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. ITS A BIG RIP-OFF. I DISCOURAGE ANY ONE FROM USING IT.
 20th of Oct, 2010 by   pobarjenkins 0 Votes
THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO BE BECAUSE IF ONE REDBOX IS BROKEN, I JUST GO AND FIND ANOTHER ONE.
 30th of Jan, 2011 by   SickofRed 0 Votes
I have been renting from Redbox on ocassion for over 3 months, maybe 4 DVD's total in that time. One DVD was so scratched it would not play. They did refund my nights rental. Things happen. Now I am seeing on my credit card that they charge me for nights after I returned the movie, and after the date on my Redbox account says it was returned. I asked about in the My Account section, is the "date rented" the date it was reserved online, or when the DVD is removed from the Kiosk? The representative had no idea. So what that told me is they area easily charging people for an extra night. I had to call, wait on hold for a while, argue my situation and finally got the $1.09 credit. It's just not worth it. I spent over 20 min plus cell phone minutes to save a $1? I won't say to never rent from RedBox but if you do, be very careful, check for correct billing especially for online reservations and make sure to get a receipt for the return. Geez with all the driving to the kiosk to get the DVD then driving to return it, then dealing with billing issues, plus the actual rental fee it's costing about $3 a night to rent, just pay for On Demand from cable for $5 or join netflix. I don't know.
 29th of May, 2011 by   GCMP +1 Votes
I USED REDBOX FOR THE FIRST AND LAST TIME RECENTLY. FIRST THEY CHARGED ME WHEN I MADE A MOVIE RESERVATION ONLINE AND THEN THEY CHARGED ME AGAIN WHEN I RETURNED THE MOVIE THE NEXT DAY AND AN EXTRA DAY CHARGE WAS ADDED. I CALLED TO GET THE BILLING STRAIGHT AND I WAS TOLD I HAD TO WAIT 5 TO 7 DAYS FOR THE CORRECTION WHICH I HAVEN'T SEEN YET. I AGREE WITH THE PERSON ABOVE JUST PAY $5 FOR AN ON DEMAND MOVIE ON CABLE TV. REDBOX IS NOT WORTH THE HASSLE AND I HAVE NEVER FOUND CHEAP TO BE BETTER YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!
 6th of Feb, 2013 by   Miesha Archie 0 Votes
i rented two movies in november its febuary and they are still charging my card when i contacted them they said i owe them 52 bucks for two movies i returned not more than 4 days late Redbox is a scam and they have the nerve to offer me a ten dollar per disc refund if i pay them the 52 bucks seriously
dont use them
 18th of Feb, 2013 by   bubblypink01 0 Votes
I have been renting from redbox for a while now. But everytime I look on my bank statement I am seeing where they are charging me extra fees that I don't understand-even when I return the movies on time. Charges like $3, $4, and even $5.44. And the bad part is there in no one to call directly to - to talk to about your current charges or anything, that I know of. I am going to keep renting from redbox but I am going to get a pay as you go debit card from Wal-Mart and put the money on the card when I get ready to get a movie from them. That way they will not have any way to access my actual accounts and put me in the negative like they have been doing. The company is a ripe off.
 13th of May, 2014 by   Ronald Whitlock 0 Votes
I found this page when researching multiple Redbox charges happening on my debit/credit card. I rented two DVDs online today, the card was charged immediately, and I could not pick up the DVDs when the Redbox unit was not working. I was given two free credits. So, I go and use the "free" rental credits at another Redbox unit, and my card is STILL charged full price for the rentals. I know the charges will eventually be re-credited once the initial authorization expires, but this could put some peoples' accounts overdrawn. (It used to be that just a $1.00 authorization charge would be applied.)

I have also noticed before that a rental would be reserved online with the card being charged immediately, only to be re-charged again upon return, even if it's not late. Once again, the initial authorization will expire and be put back into the account, but this also could lead to overdraft.

After reading this page, it reminded me of months ago when my mother went to return one of my movies, and 21 days later I am charged about $27 for the movie and $32 for going overdraft in my account. We initially thought that the DVD must have popped back out and was stolen (and I fussed my mom and she paid me back what I lost, feeling the guilt), but now I'm not certain of this due to the above comments. Redbox should at least send a courtesy email out to customers when a movie is five or seven days past due to make sure the customer(s) know that the movie still registers as not having been returned, but I suppose that they don't do this so that they can get the maximum amount of money for their "cheap" service that they can get. (All I can think is, thank goodness that they don't charge $100 like video rental stores used to charge when a movie was never returned at all.)
 31st of Jul, 2014 by   new.guy14 0 Votes
You Guys are stupid.. Ever heard of Pre-authorization. And go and check the statements, I bet you wont see those charges now.
 29th of Aug, 2014 by   happyelsie04 0 Votes
I rented 5 movies from redbox. They were returned the very next day. Yesterday I got an email from them saying that the movies were never returned and I was billed $125.00. They said that after 21 days, the movie is yours for $25. I called customer service, told them there was an error and that the movies had, in fact been returned. I got NO WHERE! The lady said that my debit card would be charged, they would continue to process the transaction once a week until they got their money. I had to go to the bank, cancel my debit card and file a complaint. What a rip off! Since then I am hearing so many similar stories. One lady hadn't rented in 6 months and got a bogus charge of $75!

Banks Clean Up on Homeowners Insurance