logo

Fake Passport Websites
Scam or Real?
2. (20 mins ago)
Affordablepets.com
Stay away from these guys
3. (51 mins ago)
EMS Speed Post - Mumbai, India
Parcel not delivered
4. (1 hr 3 mins ago)
SLYPLANTS
SCAM
5. (2 hrs 45 mins ago)
Mytriathlon.co.uk
As they had the money they would not respond to countless queries

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Posted: 2012-02-17 by    C.P. Victim

Poor Quality

Red Wing
Long Island City, New York
I've always been a fan of Red Wing Boots and there lifetime warranty to replace broken boot laces or repair pulled out lace eyelets and such. I've purchased and received as gifts (it was always on the top of my Christmas list).

Last week I brought in a beautiful pair of Red Wing boots to be resoled and purchased a new pair of 6 inch high 1200D boots because I was told that Red Wing did not renew its contract with Carhartt and no longer carry the Carhartt models.

The quality looked the same and they felt comfortable when I tried them on at the store but here it is over a week later and it seems that the boot is cutting into my flesh at every seam. After wearing the boots for more than 12 hours a day it is cutting into my ankle and the sides of my foot and do not feel as if the leather is softening in any way.

The other Carhartt boots previously sold at Red Wing were broken in after two or three days and after a week they were as soft and flexible as my sneaker.

I don't know if it is a poorer quality leather or if it is a leather laminate over some other material. It also feels like they are being sewn together improperly and the seams are not as smooth inside the boot. I noticed this also with reebok sneakers (the classic); if you check under the tongue and it is not manufactured in the US it just does not feel like it fits properly or the size feels too small.

Has anyone else recently purchased Red Wing boots and noticed the quality is not as good as it used to be? The old 6 inch high boots used to have 3 rows of lace hooks from the ankle up, these only have 2 lace hooks and when you tie the top lace it digs into your skin just above the ankle no matter how loose you tie them... what happened to all the padding they used to put at the top of the boot?

I have been a loyal fan of Red Wing since they opened their doors in Long Island City but I guess they are not being loyal to their customers and I have to look at a new brand of work boot.
Comments United States Clothing, Shoes & Acc
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

24th of Feb, 2012 by   S poore 0 Votes
My husband works on the river & has for some 15 years he has always worn Red Wing Boots the last 2 pair we have bought for over $200 a pair the non skid sole has come undone within 6 months. Very sad
 20th of Apr, 2013 by   RDF33 0 Votes
I feel the exact same way, I have worn Red Wings for 10+ years. I wear the Red Wing 1411 and have had 3 or 4 pair of this exact same boot all have been outstanding except for my last pair which took 5 weeks to get which is fine except when they tell me that "they are a week out" 5 TIMES!!!

After receiving my last pair they seemed extremely stiff and uncomfortable more-so than any other 1411 model i have ever had before, i figured this would go away after 2 or 3 days of use like my others had in the past, WRONG! They took weeks to break in, they actually wore blisters on my heels and a few times i had to change my boots at work because they were so uncomfortable, i have never had to do this with any other of my Red Wing boots and almost always had to with other cheaper brands of boots.

After about 3-4 weeks of use i noticed the leather on the toes of my boots were wearing and tearing more so that any other of of my previous Red Wings even after 6 months or so, and around that same time i was tying them up one morning and an eyelet pulled out of my left boot which has never happened on any other work boot Red Wing or not!

I am very displeased with this last pair of Red Wings, and even more so that i give such good praise about Red Wing boots to my friends that they went and bought Red Wings, hopefully they receive a better pair than i got...

I EXPECT MORE FROM RED WING, they should NOT sacrifice there quality or customer service unless they are joining many other sub-par companies in this country subbing out work and manufacturing to save a dime while there prices continue to rise, and if that is the case i say shame on you Red Wing and i will not continue to buy your below grade boot!

Web of Deceit - Internet Fraud