Posted: 2014-07-30 by

The biggest scam website ever!

I contacted realtor.com for "leads", which is what they really sell. If you're ever stupid enough to post your real information on that website, you will receive tons of calls from realtors, because they sell your info. Actually, the higher the price range you're looking at, the more expensive you are, as a lead. I signed up to receive "leads" in a certain zip code, where homes start at $800, 000 to millions and condos start in the $400, 000's, with only one exception: a freakin' time share at $50, 000. Over a period of 6 weeks i received 24 leads, 22 of them inquiring about the time share! I asked them how these things are distributed and they said "by algorithm", computer does it. Total bs, there's no way i've been selected 22 times in a row by this thing for the $50, 000 inquiries, where hundreds of other listings are much higher priced! Bottom line, they also lied about my having a "contract for 6 months" with them, where i've never signed anything with them. They kept charging my credit card, even after i told them to stop. Here's the kicker: i called bank of america to "cease and desist" this activity, it turns out they can't. Because they don't have any knowledge of your conversations with the sales rep at realtor.com. So in their opinion, you paid $24 per lead, they gave you leads. There's no documentation that you signed up for high end leads over $800, 000 and you got 22 of them for $50, 000. You paid for leads, you got leads! Over all, realtor.com is the biggest piece of shit in this business and people need to know this. Go ahead and sign up with a local re company website and you'll deal with a real person, not a scam making machine!
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Real Estate
Was the above complaint useful?

15th of Feb, 2010 by    0 Votes

Real estate salesperson - This guy is a scam artist
Anthony N. Kelley

This guy is a scam artist. Don't do any kind of business with him.
 23rd of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes

Realtor.com - Lead gen system
real estate

I am so disgusted with realtor.com. I had a very smooth salesperson contact me 4 months ago about a new lead generation system they were starting. He explained i would have shared exclusitivity with one other agent for a top zip code in orlando. Now mind you i work with lead generation systems so i know they take a lot of work. Well its been four months (At $99 per month) and i have received 12 leads. This zip is in downtown orlando mind you.

Every lead is what i call a dead lead. Not one person has replied to an email and when i have set up searches the lead cancels out right away. I feel so strongly that this is a scam that i get up in every board class and announce to everyone the issues i have with this company.

I still get to enjoy handing them over another 800. 00 for this awful service.

When i contacted them at first i was told they were working out the kinks in the new system. I told them i don't want to be a guniea pig. I want out and i might come back when it is everything the salespeopson said it was. They said ok let me transfer you to the cancellation dept. Then the cancellation dept said they don't have any issues and they could cancel me if i pay the balance in full say what ??

Today when i called the lady manager named kelly wilkerson said well i should have never listened to the salesperson as thats their job. . . That i should have called in and asked customer service their thoughts before i signed up. I told her i am confused. . I am a salesperson but as a realtor i must be honest. . . I guess realtor.com doesn't have to be honest according to her.

Sorry to ramble, i just work so very hard for every penny and this is just a scam as far as i am concerned.
 19th of Apr, 2010 by    +3 Votes
I had a similar experience with Realtor.com. The salesperson made all kinds of promises and assured us that we could cancell the service (banner ads) if we didn't get the click-thoughs that they assured... After three months of trying to cancel the program, we finally called our credit card company to stop payment... Realtor.com fought back and now I am stuck paying for their USELESS service for a FULL YEAR, despite their sales persons claims otherwise.

I teach Internet Lead Generation for Realtors and I can assure you that not only do I speak negatively of Realtor.com myself, but so do many other Realtors who have had similar awful experiences.
 18th of Jul, 2010 by    +3 Votes
I, too, was taken by Realtor.com. They ran a banner ad for one full year without my approval and charged me for the entire contract. No matter how many times I tried to get my banner ad done to my specifications, including having my graphic artist send them camera ready artwork which also cost me additional dollars, they continued to run the ad, forced me to fulfill the contract and never even attempted to make good for their error. They are crooks, pure and simple! They constantly call to get me to order more products until I remind them to look closely at my file. They tell me things which some person wrote into my electronic file, which I can not verify or dispute because they don't have to have facts, just some salesperson's opinion. This was an entire ripoff and I have spent more than one year telling everyone I can find how dishonest they are. As soon as my current contract expires, I will not renew. I, unlike them, honor my obligations! And to think that they are owned by the very company, Realtor.org, that we all pay dues to...NAR!!! How sick is that???
 19th of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes

Realtor.com - Internet fraud
30700 Russell Ranch Road
Westlake Village
Phone: (800)878-4166

Received numerous calls from kyle suffolk (805) 557 - 2504 who had been giving me the real sales pitch on realtor.com "buyer's assist" - "search assist" for $99. 00 per month / 12 month commitment, i would be receiving 10 - 15 real estate buyer leads from this firm. Since i have signed up i received 1 lead that wasn't even in my service area or zip code territory. It has been a huge waste of money and my messages to kyle suffolk and realtor.com have been dismissed. If you are a realtor and realtor.com starts soliciting your business, i would suggest that you hang up.
This is the biggest waste of $1, 188 of my career. It's hard to believe that this firm would try to take advantage of me, a realtor. It was only later, that i realized that many other realtors nationwide have been ripped - off by this same firm and this bogus lead generation program. After reading all the complaints in this firm, it is clear that realtor.com has been using misleading advertising to realtors in order to generate revenue for quite sometime now.
Email address of kyle suffolk (805) 557 - 2504 at realtor.com:
Kyle. Suffolk@realtor.com
- in case this snake oil salesperson contacts you!
 20th of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
By Author, California Broker: ~ Realtor.com Internet Fraud Complaint~
The Customer Service Department of Realtor.com contacted me today and was very courteous. We got everything resolved to my satisfaction. Updated on 12/20/2010
 29th of Jan, 2011 by    +2 Votes
I signed up their 1 year service after a pretty smooth sales pitch promising all kinds of leads and business generation . It was like $60 a month. for enhanced listings and a simple website. After not one phone call or lead off Realtlor.com or my website I called to cancel and they said I couldn't because I had a "contract". I said I thought it unfair and non integrous that I had to pay for something that I was not happy with. Their response was basically "to bad" you have a contract which I didn't sign or remember them saying that I couldn't cancel if I was not happy. Thankfully I used my American Express!!! I called and explained my situation to the AMEX rep and they put in a inquiry that credited that months payment and stopped all future auto payments to Realtor.com and their Top Producer website. I then started getting emails from them saying my payment was past due, which I responded "talk to American Express". A month later after American Express did their investigation it blocked all future billings from them. I then stopped getting the emails. Thanks AMEX!
 23rd of Jul, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I too have been taken by realtor.com with an agent profile and banner Ad. I wish it was only $99/month. I am paying $283+/mo since December 2010 and have received no leads nothing from having my profile and banner on their site. To top it off I spent two months of calling trying to get them to update my banner Ad which had a brokerage firm I had not worked for in over 2 years. I have just taken the battle on and will be calling my credit card company to fight this one since they gave me the company line that I could not cancel until Dec 2011. The sales rep who I have never spoken to wants me to contact his "creative team" so they can fix my banner as if this would make any difference since I want to cancel. They are holding me hostage right now and I am mad as heck!! I thought they would be more honest than this but obvioiusly not. It seems customer satisfaction is on their priority list.
 4th of Oct, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I have sent realtor.com 4 emails about my leaderboard not working. They do not have the decency to email me back and help me work on the leaderboard to get it to attract customers. I do have in writing a month to month agreement from them. I think they are solely in the business for the money, not the customer service taht goes along with it.
 30th of Jan, 2012 by    +1 Votes
Realtor.com has ripped me off! I signed up with them at the NAR conference and they assured me that I could cancel my contract when I went with a new broker Jan 1 who already paid for an office account. Needless to say, that salesman is now saying that he didn't say that. That's funny b/c both my new broker and I heard that! Also, they called and called and called me to set up everything. I blocked an hour out of my day (which is a pretty huge block of time for something like this), but the rep never called me!! She said she forgot or some other lame excuse. I only was given paperwork that does not say anything about a year contract even though they say I signed it. If I don't have it and they aren't sending it to me, how can they hold me to it? I will never advertise with them again and will tell everyone I know how they lie just to make the sale.
 2nd of Feb, 2012 by    0 Votes
They are scam artists be careful and do research before you fall pray to their promises
 12th of Mar, 2012 by    0 Votes
I have had a horrible experience with realtor.com. I paid 159/month for a banner ad for a year and got nothing for it. I also paid 75/month for a zip code and got zilch as well. I had a 1-888 number where people would call me and they would ask for the social security office, a rental office in Virginia, all kinds of crazy stuff, or my phone would ring and I would answer it and it would be someone from California and they would claim I called them. I have wasted 1000's on this and got nothing for it. I think it is criminal and they will never get another penny of my money. They are now calling me to renew pretending to know nothing about all the complaints I have phoned in and emailed. STAY FAR AWAY from this company. They take our hard earned money and give nothing in return.
 28th of Mar, 2012 by    +1 Votes
I don't understand how a "professional" Co. like REALTOR.com would behave like thugs! I paid $230.00/mth for a zip code in an upper class neighborhood, received some leads but they were all nonproductive in that the buyers/sellers changed their minds, just a tax question, just looking or they already had an agent. I get the impression that maybe REALTOR.com is paying "fakes" to follow up on fake leads to keep the real estate agent from canceling. I am going to make a complaint with the FBI for Internet fraud. I would advise you to do the same if you have been scammed. Please go to http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx Internet Crime Complaint Center IC3. Lets have the FBI GO THROUGH THEIR FILES to see if they are using fake "buyers/sellers" and stop ripping off agents.
 9th of Apr, 2012 by    +1 Votes
realtor.com ARE scammers! They charged products to my credit card without my consent : Buyer Assist products and the Rep who did it would no longer speak with me. All of a sudden, my account was no longer assigned to him, or anyone else! They put me on long hold times (20-30 miutes) each time I called in to get it resolved. Then one of their bullies, James Beaver came on the phone to tell me too bad, so sad and go through my credit card company to cancel if I want! He didn't even try to prove that I made the charges (which I did NOT) or save the client relationship. I will NEVER use them once the Featured Home I did order comes up for renewal. BEWARE! Watch your credit card bill like a hawk or just don't use Realtor.com.
 9th of Apr, 2012 by    0 Votes
Yep! I have my service expiring in June with them and they have stolen money from me this whole year! I will NEVER use them again.
 9th of Apr, 2012 by    0 Votes
I have lost alot more then $1, 188 from this company...sad to say. I have gotten bogus leads as well. On top of everything, my banner ad was NEVER done correctly, after calling in numerous times. I have their Featured Homes product which I will not be renewing once it runs out. Stay far far away from this company. They prey on Realtors.
 25th of Jan, 2013 by    0 Votes

Realtor.com - Estimated value is not even close to real market values

Many old listings stay for long. Estimated value is not even close to real market values. Don't bother using it.
 28th of Mar, 2013 by    0 Votes
Went with Realtor.com 7 month and they auto renewed me in March 2013. I had stopped receiving leads in Feb. I was also told when I signed up that my zip co was exclusive to me, , wrong. I share it with other Realtors but was told by the salesman at the git go it was mine exclusively. I called to cancel and was told I couldn't because they had a contract with me. So I said I would stop payment thru my bank, I called the bank and they said I could not stop payment because I had a contract with Realtor.com and both parties have to agree to stop payment. So.. I'm going to loose my card and get a new bank too since they won't help me and start over. Let them chase me for the money. Also I think NAR should be ashamed to be associated with such a bunch of liars. I wish I could cancel them too. I can't think of a thing they have done for me and I still have to pay dues, or my local board won't recognize me or my mls service won't either. They are all a bunch of scammers. I'd quit real estate all together but its a good job for a retiree.
 30th of Apr, 2013 by    0 Votes
For 10 years I was very loyal to realtor.com. The problem resolution department were absolute idiots, but I could work around them. I spend $10k a year on Realtor.com's showcase enhancements, featured listing spots, website, banner and various other products. Realtor.com was responsible for 1/3 of my business. In the middle of 2012, Realtor.com took away the ability for agents to order featured listing spots online within the office showcase enhancement account; however, you could still order a feature listing spot in the individual account. I RUN from any high pressure sales (Realtor.com included) so instead of calling my account representative, I ordered my featured listing spots in the individual account online. The problem is that the only reason I had the office account is so I can have an advertising logo in my featured listing spots. If I'm ordering the featured listing in my individual account, then I'm not getting that logo. I called to cancel the office account and pay for the individual account in fall of 2013. I got the run around. I was sent to a product specialist. The only thing this product specialist did was to insult me. He basically stated that realtors were too stupid to order anything online. The information given was that 80% of all orders placed for featured listing spots online were messed up. I was asked to be elevated higher up. That request was ignored. A few months later I went to my account representative. She was useless. I was elevated to her manager in January of 2013. Although I could prove that they had no signed contract for this 2 year office showcase enhancement, I could not get the manager to cancel my office account. I knew they didn't have a signed contract because I had the contract in front of me UNSIGNED (I never sent it back). The solution that this manager came up with was that they would cancel the office account, but the 10 featured listing spots that I had ALREADY paid for in this account would have to be REPURCHASED for the full year in the individual account. A credit would have been given for the time I has left in the office account and I would have been charged a full year in the individual account for each featured listing spot. I was told that their systems would not allow them to do it any other way. I'm not that stupid. If you can cancel part of a year then you can purchase part of a year. I told this manager that was not an acceptable answer and to find another one. That was in January of 2013. It is now 4/30/2013. I've been ignored again for 3 months. I called up again today. I was sent to again to a product specialist who again insulted me and then started arguing with me (I think their job is to immediately make you feel stupid to imbalance you so they can then keep your in your product). Even as I had every legal right to get out of this product the product specialist was offering road blocks to keep me in the product. Even though I've been trying to do this for six months, the product specialist told me that I had a 60 wait period because I didn't notify them that I wanted to cancel. Curse words flew and I don't curse.

I used to drink Realtor.com's Kool-Aid. I was loyal to them because the system worked for me. However, I can't and will not give my hard earned money to a company who abuses their main clientele AND who thinks we are stupid. Zillow and Trulia, here I come.
 30th of Apr, 2013 by    0 Votes
One last tidbit of information for any of our lawyer friends reading this post. I have been told repeatedly by each representative that the customer service agreement that I acknowledged 10 years ago was my contract to purchase ANY PRODUCT from realtor.com. According to realtor.com that service agreement was/is my contract for my 2 year agreement to be in the office showcase enhancement account. Any input from the legal community is invited.

Realtor.com Logo Realtor.com