logo

Supra Cleanse 350
Company charged me for $99.99 without my notice
3. (20 mins ago)
Optimal Hosting Ltd
They didn’t create the website and no refund was provided
4. (30 mins ago)

Posted:    Valerie

Fraudulent company

Reading America
readamerica.net
Reading America called me initially one morning at 8AM. I had been working all night and told the lady that on the phone. She said, 'I don't want to sell you anything just try these magazines and if you don't like you can cancel at any time, plus we will give you a $1, 000 shopping spree.' I said ok just to get her off the phone. During the process I asked how much this was going to cost and she said 'just $19.99 a month for 6 months. But during the recording it was $24.99 for 6 months. I didn't bother correcting her as I wanted to go back to sleep. I also asked if there was any penalty for canceling early and to my recollection she said 'no'. I also asked if they could be sure not to debit my account until the 15th of the month, and she assured me they would only debit on the 15th. So I agreed again just to get her off the phone.

A few hours later when I actually woke up I called back to ask what store the shopping spree was at, the lady gave me a website. Upon going to the website I could only see a few pictures and I needed code to enter all the way and the lady told me that would come later. From what I could see of the products they looked like something I could by at Wal Mart and on top of that I would have pay shipping and handling. I surmised that each item was probably inflated in cost. At that point I decided I wanted out so 2 days later when I got the form to fill out for my $1, 000 shopping spree and my bill I wrote cancel on both of them and then mailed them back.

A few days later when I went to cash my check I found out that my account was $30.00 in the negative because they had tried to debit my account before the 15th. Then the incessant calls started. They called me at all hours of the day on into the evening after 10PM. They called when I was trying to sleep, they called my boyfriend while he was working, they called my mom on her phone while she was working. When I answered the phone I told them I had canceled and I did not want the magazines. The person got rude with me on the phone saying I owed a cancellation fee or I would be turned in to collections. First the cancellation fee was $100.00, during subsequent calls the rate has been quoted as $140, $144, $156, and most recently $168.15. When I asked the most recent caller why it had been going up the man replied 'I am not making these numbers up they are what the supervisor gave me.' After several more calls I asked if you turn me in to collections will the calls stop and the guy said 'yes' so I said 'please turn me in to collections so I can dispute the debt.' I even went so far as to tell them I had lost my job, and the guy said 'I will write you down as refusing to pay'. I am 21 years old and do not need a bad mark on my credit, but the first person told me there was no penalty for cancellation so I did the right thing and wrote cancel on the very first communication from them.

Then after 2 months they finally have the nerve to send magazines even AFTER I wrote cancel on the first communication from them! Oh yes and one guys told me that 'we have already prepaid $400 to the magazine companies so you are getting off lucky by only paying a small cancellation fee.'
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

15th of Jan, 2009 by   toni +1 Votes
I received a call on NOVEMBER 2008 saying that I was selected to get $1000 shopping spree by using this website: www.selectyourgifts.com but inorder to avail this gift, there's a package requirement of supporting the roswell magazines. (this is the program of the UNITED BENEFITS ADVANTAGE and the company that makes the magazines is READING AMERICA )

The agent went over the details and they recorded my verbal contract of agreeing to the payment of $34.24 every month for 24 months but I could cancel anytime. The number that called me is 888 279 9221. I was being uneasy when i heard that inorder to avail the 1000 dollars gift certificate, i have to support the magazines by paying every month. HOwever, I already gave my debit account information for the agent to file on their records because of the $1000 excitement w/c i regret. It was a stupid thing to do and pls. learn fr. this mistake!

Because I felt this is going to be a trick or scam, I called the same number and talked to the same agent on that same day, about 10 minutes after I hang up the phone. I told him to cancel my account information because I didn't want anything to deal with this anymore and even my parents told me to cancel. THe agent said that it was only a pre-registration and they're not going to charge me anything UNLESS i sign the pre-authorization form w/ my signature authorizing them that I chose the certain magazines to be mailed at my door. Perhaps, he said, its too late to cancel bec. he already processed my information and sent it to the magazines and the pre-authorization has been mailed. So i decided to wait for that pre-authorization packet that he was saying and I thought, if i dont fill it out and mail it backto them, they will think that I don't want any business with them.

When that pre-authorization mail arrived, I DID NOT FILL, SIGN AND MAIL IT BACK TO THEM. This act alone shows that I didn't want anything to do with their business. Meaning, i did not want any magazines to be sent to me. The agent's word was a LIE!!! My debit card was charged twice even though i didn't place an order. They charged me for the month of november and december 2008. The number that the agent told me to call to cancel is 877 855 1115 but they directed me to the phone number of the united benefits advantage program which is 1 800 261 8274. The account manager Ms. PALMER said that the magazines are pre-paid and the company cannot take the loss of so much money. She said that I owe $700 something because it was pre-paid and because of my verbal commitment. I explained to her that it would be absurd to pay that amount when the fact is I didn't place an order on the magazines, I have no job, i didn't get the 1000 gift card and most of all did not get anything from their company.She lowered the money that I owe to $300. She said if i pay this amount, I would not hear anything from their company anymore and They would not file a complaint to the COLLECTION AGENCY. Even the $300 amount, i am not willing to pay and never will. She said, I couldn't do anything about it but pay for it. A few days later after talking to her, i received 2 magazines fr. them without a return address.

I called again the United Benefits Advantage Program number to ask for the return address of the magazine and Palmer said the publication has nothing to do w/ it so she gave me their company's address saying that even i mail it back, there would be no change to what I owe. (By the way, it was useless talking to her since she said she's the account manager, the highest managers of all w/c is stupid! I mean what kind of Manager is she if she can't deal w/ the problem and scam the customers. They have a terrible customer service and business. This business is a total scam! IT's our right as customers to cancel and why, as a manager won't she let a customer cancel? )

Until now, they keep sending magazines. I talked to the post man in our area and he said, to put "refuse" and it will be mailed back to them. Though it doesn't have a return adress, there's a bunch of numbers w/c is like a tracking code fr. their company seems like it. So, i've returned all the magazines to them stating that i refuse, return to sender. I even sent a note saying to stop sending the magazines to this address.

For the month of january 09, since they can't get $ fr. my card anymore, the reading america sent me a credit amount of $780 that I owe. Ridiculous! I will not be able to pay for that and never will. If they turn me in to the collections, GREAT! I will have deal w/ the collections and dispute it. MAybe they will listen that this business is a scam, or training their agents to lie to people just so to get money and what the heck, won't let the customers cancel? TErrible terrible business. By the way, i disputed the charge they made fr. my bank and currently its not resolved. its pending. They better refund !!!

So i was wondering, if there's anyone else out there who has the same problem and how was it solved?

Maybe we should report this company to the business bureau or file a claim or sue them!
 15th of Jan, 2009 by   toni +2 Votes
Here's another thing, if you'll cancel any business with them, they will directly connect you to MS. PALMER. Its useless talking to her since she wont allow you to cancel. She will give you an amt. to pay w/c is totally ridiculous. She will keep emphasizing that you had a verbal contract to pay $34.24 for 2 yrs (in my case). Even though i demanded that i cancelled on the first day and i din't fill out the pre-authorization form w/c means i didn't select any magazines and i din't authorize for them to charge and send it to my address. She'll say, you have your verbal contract that you agreed. Guys, don't you see, she threatens. She also said that their company will forward my number to other companies (totally absurd ) bec. i won't pay. Now, there's diff. toll free numbers that keeps calling me, i just ignore.

I really don't know how to end this ridiculous business that they have. They won't cancell my subscription unless I pay. Well, I wont and never will pay. IMAGINE HAVING A CREDIT OF $$$780 SOMETHING FOR MAGAZINES THAT YOU NEVER WANTED, NEVER ORDERED. THEY'RE MAKING UR LIFE MISERABLE. Palmer also said, once i pay she'll make sure to send me the $1000 gift card bec. i've gone so much stress w/ the acct. (she's a sweet talker, trying to have empathy but really ..so PLASTIC!) Until now that $1000 wasn't sent to me and they better not bec. i don't want it. I want to cut anybusiness w/ them.
 2nd of Mar, 2009 by   cora +2 Votes
it happened to me yesterday...they won't let me cancel either ...i told them if they don't let me cancel i will cancel my card so they couldn't get money from me...they said they will send me a invoice..if i don't pay for it ..they will turn me in to colleciton agency..that is so ridicular...they won't let you cancel..and force you pay...do u guys know is that any way that u could do to stop that scam.
 23rd of Apr, 2009 by   Debbie +2 Votes
this company just scammed my daughter at college on her cell phone. somehow they had the first 4 digits of her debit card and told her that this stuff had been authorized. at first she said no and then they pulled the heavy sell tactics on her.
after she got off the phone, she realized that she may have been scammed. so she called her bank to cancel the debit card. she called my husband to see what to do next. so he told her what to do. unfortunately, she was studying for an exam. she called today to try to cancel but they wouldn't let her. she called my husband again who put in a three-way call and spoke to a supervisor. Supervisor said that since it was past the 3 day limt, our daughter would have to pay. in listening to the recorded call, my husband claimed that she told them no in the beginning. after some back and forth the supervisor supposedly agreed to cancel. he told them that if we receive a bill we would be contacting our lawyer. so we will see what happens.

we had the same problem with AOL when we cancelled so we are familiar with these tactics. unfortunately, this company is preying upon college students who may not know what to do.
 13th of May, 2009 by   S Ko +2 Votes
I agree. My 20 yr old son was also pulled into this scam...same scenario - harassing calls to his cell, lured by shopping spree and then talked into giving them his account #. they did deduct $35+ from his checking and he immediately cancelled his account. Continuous calls and invoices afterwards even though he has called and said don't send any more magazines, remove him from their accounts, and if they keep pursuing collections, we would take legal action. They called a couple more times and magazines keep coming so we keep returning them.

We are afraid they will turn him into collections and that will black mark his credit. At this young age, we don't want to take a chance. We are filing a complaint today with the Better Bus Bureau online - it seems easy enough. FYI, they are rated F with the BBB and have had 25 complaints filed against them int he last 36 months. Just reading the different complaints posted on the internet, Reading America must have scammed hundreds of young adults and harassed them in the same manner. We ENCOURAGE everyone to also file a complaint with the BBB. This crooked company is already negatively rated and maybe if they receive more complaints, action will be taken to stop them from scamming others!

We are also looking into submitting our story with our local tv station that does investigative reporting on scams. We are not going to just let them get away with it and neither should you!
 24th of Aug, 2009 by   kbg01 +2 Votes
I just have a quick comment to make. If this is suppose to be a good company (at least by there name Reading for America), why do they show up on my caller id as unknown? I could not even call them back. I cut the lady off halfway through her opening speech and she just hung up on me. Next time I will just not answer an unknown caller. Waste of time. Sorry to all those who have been sucked in by this scam. By the way, when I asked the lady the name of the company again, she could not even tell me what the purpose of her business was. Just that I won a $1000 shopping spree.
 28th of Aug, 2009 by   Je123 +2 Votes
Taken from the FTC's website: (IT'S THE LAW... KNOW YOUR RIGHTS)

Guidelines for Managers of Telemarketing Enterprises Who Sell Magazine Subscriptions

As the supervisor of a telemarketing sales force, you know that your employees' communications with prospective magazine subscription purchasers must be clear and courteous, and that their sales solicitations must be accurate, truthful, and complete. It makes good business sense — and it's the law.

Through its enforcement of the Telemarketing Sales Rule and other laws, the Federal Trade Commission regulates the telephone sale of consumer products, including magazine subscriptions. The Telemarketing Sales Rule requires that you keep certain records about advertising and promotional materials, recipients of prizes of $25 or more, sales, sales employees, and verifiable approvals for demand drafts for two years from the date that records are made.

The FTC and the Magazine Publishers of America have written this guide for telemarketing professionals who sell magazine subscriptions.
Initial Contact: After You've Said Hello

When you are making an outbound call, you must disclose clearly and promptly, prior to the consumer's purchase, and in a way that is unlikely to mislead the consumer:

That the purpose of your call is to sell magazine subscriptions.
Who is selling the magazine subscriptions.
A description of the magazine subscriptions you are selling.
You must not misrepresent the reasons why the consumer was chosen for the call. You may not suggest that the consumer was "specially" selected because he or she is a "good customer, " a contest winner, or a survey participant — unless that is true.
Prize Promotions: You Never Have to Pay to Play

If you are offering a prize promotion in connection with an outbound call solicitation, you must state clearly and promptly, and prior to purchase, that no purchase is necessary to play or to win. You also must disclose:

* A description of any prize you offer in the sales promotion and a statement of its value.
* The "no purchase/no payment" way consumers can participate in the prize promotion with instructions on how to participate, or an address or toll-free telephone number where consumers can get instructions on how to participate.
* The odds of winning the prize in the promotion or the factors used to calculate the odds.
* Any material costs, restrictions, limitations, or conditions on receiving, redeeming or using a prize that you offer in the promotion.

Sympathy Appeals and Enticements: No Lies Allowed

The law does not allow you to make false statements to encourage a purchase. Specifically, you must not falsely state that:

* You are affiliated with an educational, charitable, social, or governmental organization or cause, that you are selling subscriptions on their behalf, or that they will receive part of the sales proceeds.
* The consumer's subscriptions will be distributed as gifts to educational, charitable, social, or governmental organizations or causes.
* The consumer's relatives or friends will receive free gift subscriptions.
* You are working your way through school or competing for a scholarship or in a contest. That is, you must not make false statements to create a sympathy appeal about yourself — including claiming illness, disease, disability, or low-income or student status.
* Consumers will receive free gifts, goods, or services with the purchase of magazine subscriptions unless the subscription costs the same as or less than the regular subscription price (or "basic" subscription price published in the magazine).
* The subscription is available at a special or reduced rate unless the cost of the subscription is less than the regular subscription price (or "basic" subscription price published in the magazine) and less than the price that similar subscriptions have been sold in substantial quantities to similar consumers.
* The subscription is being offered free unless the cost of any other subscription(s) or other products that the consumer must purchase to get the free subscription is no more than the cost the consumer must pay to buy the other subscription(s) or other products without receiving the free subscription.
* The subscription is available at a reduced rate because the consumer will be charged only for postage or for shipping and handling.

Payment and Subscription Terms: Just the Facts

Before the consumer buys any subscription, you must clearly state:

* The total costs of the subscription(s); if you state the price of installment payments, you must give the amount of each installment and the total number of installment payments.
* The name and duration of each magazine subscription in your solicitation, including the number of issues or frequency of each subscription.
* A description of all material restrictions on the subscriptions, including the amount of any down payment that is required or the form of payment that is required.

Consumer Authorization For Payment: Getting The Okay

If you ask consumers for their bank account numbers to facilitate payment through "phone checks" or "demand drafts, " you must get the consumer's advance "express verifiable authorization." You can do this in one of three ways:

* By getting advance written authorization,
* By tape recording the consumer giving express oral verification, or
* By sending written confirmation of the transaction to the consumer before you submit the draft for payment.

At the same time, you must not:

* Bill a consumer's credit card without their express authorization.
* Mislead a consumer about the reason you are asking for account information.
* Invoice the consumer for the subscription orders unless the consumer has expressly ordered the subscription.

Cancellation and Refund Rights: The Fine Print

You must not misrepresent the consumer's right to cancel. Before the purchase, you must clearly and truthfully disclose:

* Any "no refund" or "no cancellation" policy, if you have such a policy.
* If you talk about refund, cancellation, exchange or repurchase options during your solicitation, you must disclose all material terms and conditions of your refund and cancellation policy.
* If you have a policy of accepting cancellations or making refunds or exchanges, you don't have to raise the subject. But if you do — or if the consumer requests information — you must clearly disclose all material terms and conditions of your refund, cancellation or exchange policy.

Order Fulfillment: Delivering the Magazines

You may not sell subscriptions to — and accept payment for — magazines that you have no authority to sell.

It's not necessary to mention when the first issue of each magazine subscription order will be shipped to the consumer if you have a reasonable basis to expect that it will be shipped within 30 days of the order (or 50 days if the consumer applies for credit).

However, it is necessary to:

* State clearly how long you reasonably expect it will take before the first issue of each magazine subscription order is shipped if that time period will be more than 30 days (or 50 days if credit is requested) from the order; and
* If first shipment is delayed beyond 30 days (if no shipment time was stated) or beyond the shipment time stated, you must then offer the consumer the option to accept a new delayed shipment date that you have reason to believe will be net, or to cancel the subscription and get a full refund.

Guarantees and Bonds

You must not:

* Falsely describe any guarantees you make about the placement, fulfillment, or delivery of the magazine subscription orders.
* Make false statements about the fact that you are bonded — or about the nature or conditions of your bond.

Assisting in Deceptive Telemarketing Practices:
Who Are You Dealing With?

You should take reasonable steps to determine whether someone is engaged in any deceptive telemarketing practice before you assist them. According to the Telemarketing Sales Rule, you must not provide substantial assistance or support for another seller or telemarketer if you know — or consciously avoid knowing — that he or she is engaged in deceptive practices. Support includes, but is not limited to sponsoring promotions, sending confirmation letters, prize certificates and bonuses to consumers for another seller or telemarketer, or billing consumers’ credit cards.
Restrictions on Phone Calls and Abusive Practices:
Respecting the Customer

You must not:

* Threaten, intimidate, or use obscene language when you make sales calls.
* Cause a phone to ring or engage consumers in phone conversations, repeatedly or continuously, to annoy, abuse, or harass the person who answers the phone.
* Call consumers who have previously said they do not wish to get calls from you or the seller of the magazine subscriptions that you are selling.
* Call consumers’ homes earlier than 8 AM or later than 9 PM local time — unless you have their permission in advance.

For More Information

For more information about complying with the Telemarketing Sales Rule, contact the Federal Trade Commission. If your business has been a victim of fraud, you can file a complaint with the FTC.

The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair practices in the marketplace and to provide information to businesses to help them comply with the law. To file a complaint or to get free information on consumer issues, visit ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, identity theft, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.
 29th of Dec, 2009 by   StephAngel23 +1 Votes
Reading America just called me. I'm scared because I don't know if they have my debit card information I have. I wouldn't be surprised because I've used it online before for certain surveys. Should I call back and tell them I'm not interested or just totally ignore them? What will save me more from pestering calls because they called me at 8 in the morning and I am in no way a morning person. I knew this shopping spree was too good to be true..that's why I looked up Reading America and this page was at the very top of the search list. Thank you for telling me about this company before it's too late! I could have easily been in the same situtation!
 16th of Feb, 2010 by   Lunarred06 +1 Votes
Yeah, they just called me today as well and I was all the way up to the supervisor who was supposed to fulfill what was being said about a $1000 shopping spree when I was finally able to find this chat. At that point I realized it was a fraud and even told the lady that I was trying to make sure it was not a fraud because I was giving them a hard time. When I was asked for a "trusting" person that could except my gift if I wasn't able to (In other words, another person to scam) I told them that I really didn't have anyone. This caused the lady to get pretty rude and then asked for someone that could accept it. I quickly came up with a name and then when I told her that they didn't have a phone number she continued to get rude. I told her that my mother's number was the only one I had and the lady before had got that so she knew that one. She then asked if I had another way of being contacted. I told her that I really didn't have any other way and this caused her to get so upset that she hung up on me. I just hope that they didn't get enough information to scam me like all these others have. Hopefully something will be done about them very soon. I'm gonna keep hoping that they did not get far enough and won't send me no stupid magazines or cause me to be in debt over something I didn't want.
 18th of Feb, 2010 by   daydayflower +1 Votes
Reading America has threatened me to turn me into a collection company because I refused to pay them the amount they asked for. It all started when I answered a call on August 4, 2009 and the told me that I had won a shopping spree, then they started telling me that I must subscribe to the magazine in order receive my prize. After feeling pressured to subscribe I thought that I could just cancel it afterwards. So once I told me hat in total it was going to be $800 and something I had to pay in total I told them that I changed my mind because I couldn't pay for that and Tifanny kept telling me "But why would you want to cancel it? I cant cancel it anymore you already agreed on it and I have recorded you agreeing to it." And after a few days they kept calling me but i refused to answer because their representatives were very rude. And now they are calling me from Credit Collectors Inc, saying that I have to pay them or else I have to go to court. I feel that they have unfair business practices and I'm sure I am not the only one affected by this company. So the Credit Collectors said they were going to report it to the creditors and my credit was going to be ruined so I just decided to call Reading America to see if I could come to an agreement with them and I was surprised the guy I spoke with was very nice not like the ones i had spoken to before. So I'm just going to make 2 payments of 198 and I will continue receiving magazines even though it sucks and its all bullshit but I am very tired of all this I don't want anymore problems and I just want this to be over. So I have learned my lesson and to any stupid telemarketer that calls me again ill just tell them to FUCK OFF and hang up on them, I've learned my lesson.
 13th of Mar, 2010 by   j.p. 23 +1 Votes
Has anyone resolved anything with this company? I ordered the magizines with the understanding that I could cancel at anytime. They then told me I could not cancel and I am obligated. However at no time did they disclose what there cancellation policy is. Every operater I have talked with is rude. I have delt with one guy telling me how he has sex with my mother and many other rude things. I refuse to pay anything else and will sue them before I pay them. I would like to know if anyone has resloved anything with this corrupt company?
 13th of Apr, 2010 by   syie 0 Votes
I couldn't agree more with any of you. I got the same phone call back in September of 2009. What got me mad was the fact that they started off with the 1, 000 awards and then lured me into buying magazines. I didn't know that I can report anyone or any company that calls my cell phone. I'm not sure how to get rid of this either. What pisses me off is how they sent me collections paper and they're still calling me! This enrages me.
 14th of Jun, 2010 by   50cent 0 Votes
Thanks to you guy's and this web site to let me know whats up cause i just got this same call and i told the person im not given any information untill i know this is a ligit company!! which i did and found this on here. On June 14, 2010 if you guy's i thought about it i dont think they would got you guy's
 25th of Jun, 2010 by   flexxjajoell +1 Votes
SHUT READING AMERICA DOWN. THEY GOT ME AND AFTER THIS NOW I KNOW THEY ARE CRIMINALS. Isnt there a way we could devolop a website that gathers people in support to shut them down so others can see and put them outa business!?
 5th of Jul, 2010 by   bk0890 0 Votes
I worked For This Bitch Ass Company For Three Days!!! And that was three days too many!!! It was Hell in there. These People Are Frauds. and I'm Sorry For The People That This has affected.
 28th of Jul, 2010 by   nykskitts 0 Votes
I had a similar thing happen to me about 5 years ago... I'm not sure if it was Reading America, but anything that says they are sending you a gift card, or diamond watch, or anything else that seems unfathomable... well it just is! I was told something about only paying 16 cents a day for so long to support their main magazine (something like the TIMES--I can't remember now)... Well I calculated that would only be about $5 a month right? Well I have no idea what they said anymore, they had put me on the phone with 3 different people, and from my understanding I would be getting Cosmo and Seventeen and then 2 other magazines that were education related since I was getting ready to go to college for education. --Only 18 and never heard about these scams before, I had no idea what they were setting me up for. Within days I went on and checked my account and I had been charged somewhere near $70! I called to cancel, and of course was told that I couldn't because of a verbal contract and they had already paid the magazine companies blah blah blah. Whatever. I kept insisting on canceling and kept telling them I was a college student and couldn't pay them. Eventually (after about a YEAR!) they said "well we will lower your monthly payments to $18 and you pay them for 6 months and then you will have paid fully, and will just decrease the length of time you receive the magazines.

One- I never received Cosmo or Seventeen, I only ever actually received one magazine I actually agreed to getting
Two- I never got anywhere near as many magazines as I was supposed to receive
Three- THEY CALLED ME A COUPLE MONTHS AGO SAYING I OWED THEM MONEY!!!

Now I've never really yelled at anyone for anything that is a perfect stranger to me, but when they called saying I owed them money- when I paid somewhere near $1000 so many years ago and was told once I paid this much that I would be finished- I started b**chin up a storm. Luckily they haven't called since. However, now all of a sudden I got 2 calls from this Reading America today, leaving me messages saying "we have great news, call us back and your claim number is..." yeah. I'm pissed. I hate those people. And I don't even know how they got my number now. I will call them back- I'll tell them I don't want any part of their stupid scam, that maybe they could fool me when I was 18, but now I'm almost 23 and I will not be had. I will tell them take their magazines and shove them up their butts and that they better take my number off their call list or I will be sure to have their entire business shut down in days. My sis graduated Harvard Law and worked for commercial law in NYC- pretty sure she could tell me where to go or who to speak to to get them shut down. Yeah. I'm actually thrilled to b**ch them out. As sad as that is... lol. Oh well.

Hopefully none of you ever got put into as much debt as I did with them. It really would be nice to get that $1000 back, but I know it'll never happen. I'm just hoping that one day all of these places get shut down and don't scam people anymore. Although that too is pretty unfathomable...
 15th of Sep, 2010 by   ebonybeauty91 0 Votes
its no need to repeat im going through the same thing as everyone else they r sending me magazines i told them i didnt want them they charged my card before the time that we had arranged which gave me an over draft fee i called my bank and told them i lost my card just so i could get another card number...this people r so rude and they feel they can tak to you however they want...this place needs to be shut down the shopping spree website for $1000 inever used it the stuff looks like they brought it from someones yard sell you would think that going through all of this they would have something everyone can enjoy... I WOULD NEVER TELL ANYONE TO USE THESE WORTHLESS PEOPLE ND THEIR COMPANY THIS NEEDS TO BE SHUT DOWN NOW AND IM WILLING TO DO WHATEVER IT AKES TO AKE THAT HAPPEN

THEYVE TOLD ME I COULDNT CANCEL THY WOULD REPORT ME THEY KEEP CALLING ME THEY TOLD ME THAT IF I DIDNT GIVE 2 REFRENCES THAT I WAS BEAKING A LAW THESE PEOPLE ARE A** HOLES...SOMEONE NEEDS TO PUT A STOP TO THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE MESSING WITH PEOPLES MONEY

READING AMERICA IS A SCAM AND THEY NEED TO BE SHUT DOWN

AND TIL THIS DAY I STILL HAVE NOT GOT MY MAGAZINES AND THEY CALLED ME JULY 2010 AND ITS NOW SEPTEMBER 2010
 23rd of Oct, 2010 by   NotFoolingMe! 0 Votes
You know.. I am 15 years old and i just got a call from Reading America last night on my cell phone.. they left a message saying.. "we have some really great news for you, call us back and your claim number is blah blah bah ... again congratulations.. " I was like okay.. i can understand receiving this call because i signed up for somethings on the internet... but to be sure before I called them back or anything.. i looked up reading America on here.. and i found this page.. so glad I didn't call them back or i would of been scammed. Thanks guys... you saved me and my parents trouble. I could of really messed things up for them.
 18th of Nov, 2010 by   I have Three 0 Votes
I recieved a phone call from Selectyourgifts.com and while they were trying to get my personl information, such as my Master Card account, I was checking out the website. The website had nothing on it except a couple pictures of junk! I was vert alarmed by how pushy and how belittleing the man was on the phone. This is truly a SCAM and please do not fall for it!
 31st of Dec, 2010 by   NotGonnaTakeItLyingDown 0 Votes
My step-son, with my help, just filed a complaint with the FTC on Reading America. My step-son is 19, a full-time student, and was enticed by "winning a $1000 shopping spree". They even told him that they had a deal with Visa going on and led him to believe that they already had his card number. He even tried to cancel the VERY next day and they said it was impossible. So we canceled his card so they couldn't charge him. Now he is receiving a TON of magazines that he doesn't want and has no intention of reading. Just the other day, they called my house trying to collect a payment and I talked to them. They let me listen to a portion of the initial phone call with my son that was so obviously edited!! Portions were cut out and during the validation, he was simply repeating after the sales rep when prompted. Anyway, I basically told the guy that we didn't want the magazines, stop sending us mags, we would be happy to send them back and were not going to pay anything else. He told me that instead of reporting this to a collection agency, he was going to "serve" us. I assume that means in a legal fashion? I told him to bring it. He messed with the wrong kid...

Auto Repair Scam (Funny)