logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
rootandroid.com
Rude and negative emails from this company
2. (24 mins ago)
Sears / Craftsman riding lawnmower
Lawn mower will just stop running
3. (39 mins ago)
Non-delivery of product

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Reader's Digest Sweepstakes, Pheonix, Arizona Complaints & Reviews - I won a $1,000,000.00

Reader's Digest Sweepstakes Contacts & Informations

Reader's Digest Sweepstakes

Posted:    Cheryl Roatch

I won a $1,000,000.00

Readers Digest
15610 N. 15th Dr.
Pheonix, Arizona
Phone: 602-466-3359
I received a letter I won $1, 000, 000.00. Inside the letter was a check I was to deposit for the fews $5, 228.00. The check was a fake and when I called them back they said they didn't know it was a fake. We have sent a total of $150, 000.00 with the promise that the check was to be delivered over a month straight since September 2008. Last Friday she guaranteed me that the winnings would be there by 5:00 p.m. I had checked out all the numbers that were on the letter. Her name is Ruby Lawson that I have been dealing with and her phone number is 1-888-323-0862. Another number that I was able to call up until Friday is: 541-572-5283 and one other one is 1-888-271-3661. The 1-888-323-0862 number says the account has been temporarily put on hold. Good bye. The other numbers just say Bye.

All the monies that we have sent have gone to different cities in Canada.

Can you help me?

Sincerely

Cheryl L. Roatch

Comments United States Lottery Scams
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

18th of Nov, 2010 by   katrinac 0 Votes
november, 2010
my name is katrina i got a letter about a week and a half ago with a check for 4, 965 dollars for the aid in the ins.for my 500, 000 dollar check to be fedexed to me the guy i was supposed to talk to was michael washington the number he gave me in the letter was disconnected two days after i got the check but he made the mistake of calling me from another number i did deposit the check in my bank and even put a new truck on hold which i really needed then my bank informed me that the check was counterfiet well i called mr.washington and told him what they said he told me that my bank had already pulled the money out of his bank wellthat was untrue then he said that we could put it on a credit card and he really got mad because the credit card number that i gave him was a prepaid card that i had just activated and had not put any money on yet, thank god. when he could not take anything off of it he got really mad. he did mess up though the number that he had called me from was able to be traced so i really hope that he will not be trying this scam on anybody else ever again.
 7th of Dec, 2010 by   P.C. 0 Votes
I received a check today from Reader's Digest for $4, 980.10 claiming that I won their sweepstakes. By the way my prize winnings was $500, 000 wow right, that's what I thought. I have to admit because I entered so many sweepstakes I was so excited to think that I actually won. So I called the number and I had to leave a message, 20min. later I received a call back and the caller told me congratulations I have won their sweepstakes and that the check I received is to cover the insurance and taxes on the prize money. He also asked if I want to make it publicly known about my winnings because they print the winners in their magazine and newspaper ads etc. I opted to keep it private. I was told to deposit the check and I will be receiving my prize on December 11, 2010 by fed ex. I was never asked to send any money or give any private info(I wasn't going to do it any way) but I decided to investigate it all and I stumbled upon this site and wow it all sounds too familiar. The only difference is that my letter is post marked from Seattle, WA. I think I'll wait until Fed Ex deliver my prize. So sorry this has happened to you, but NEVER EVER send MONEY to claim a prize or winnings, that is always a red flag. Best of luck to everyone.
 7th of Dec, 2010 by   P.C. 0 Votes
Just wanted to add that I received the same letter Katrina from Michael Washington except his name was spelled Micheal Washington on my letter. He too called me back from a different number thanks for your post, and again I was never in jeopardy because I wasn't sending him any money even if he would have asked.
 13th of Dec, 2010 by   Emptynestmama 0 Votes
Letter we received was from Farmers and "Readers Digest", first clue was they had my husbands knickname, not his real name. Again, if its too good to be true it is. They told my husband to deposit check in our account and when it clears send them 3155.75 out of the 4900.00 $ check. Michael Washington was customer care rep. and letter signed by John Limmer, phone number is...778-323-6788...wish we would have really won :)
 20th of Jan, 2011 by   Fired Up in Pa 0 Votes
These people are still at it. I just got a letter today 01-20-11 they say they I have won 500, 000. and sent a check for 4, 987.00.
All I have to do is deposit the check and call them back then we will go from there. Funny thing is the letter says its from Readers Digest but he didnt seem to know where I won the money from. The letter was addressed from Ny. The check was from Fl. and the call was made to Ga. All of this somehow just doesnt add up and they are not smart enough to see this. The check doesnt even look real. No address for the company that it comes from and the numbers at the bottom are all wrong. I am going to see who I can turn this into. I hope other people are paying attention. Also at the bottom they list Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Home Depot, Macys, Zeller sand Sears. Not really sure what they are supposed to have to do with Readers Digest.
 20th of Apr, 2011 by   AC.Soto 0 Votes
They have now increased their "game." I have recently got a letter saying i won $500, 000 in a reader digest sweepstakes on Feb.29, 2011. i was given a claim code and everything.the letter contained the actual reader digest water mark and a return address that works. i googled everything before i thought I'd give it try. Take god my bank caught it. WELLS FARGO ROCKS!!! i thought hey maybe reader digest does like me lol since i buy stuff from them all the time. the check was from a legit insurance business stating "this $4, 789.56 check is to cover insurance and administrative fees." also that they will be sending a representative down to where i live to give me the actual check. it seemed so real. CHRIS CHANDLER was who i had to contact, phone number 16047734790. also Kelvin Taylor the prize Award Administrator 17783236788, if you call him it will say he is unavailable and to call your customer care rep. also if you ask to speak with someone higher they will not transfer you, you have to deal with that one person only. now that i look back upon it, anyone can fall for it. i am a college student who is racking up in the debt wheel. i thought this is what i just need, thought my problems would be solved but yet i knew deep down it was way too good to be true. glad i didn't get my hopes up too high. i wish people had better things to do then mess with peoples lives. the only thing I'm really concerned with, is how did they get my parents home address.

thanks to everyone who posted all the comments, if it wasnt for you guys i would have had my hopes real high...
hope none of you guys were really affected by this scam...
 17th of Jun, 2011 by   Rev Denny 0 Votes
I received a phone call this morning from (aka) Readers Digest saying I won the June Sweepstakes of $250, 000.00! the caller said that there would be a delivery today at 4:30pm with a package. I was to go to my local Wal Mart and get a money gram senders form in the amount of $558.00 and send to them...then he called back and asked me if I had left yet to send the money...I replied "Not until the pkg arrives so I can view it"..he said no I have to send the money first!! I said no way-GOODBYE! The address I was to send the money gram to was:

CHAROEN DOO SUNVALLEY CA 91352 and the calling number was" 818-627-9802

the number given to call him back was the same number!

scam!

Rev. Denny Shipp
Maryland
 2nd of Aug, 2011 by    Carrie 0 Votes
How stupid can you be?????? No legitimate sweepstakes EVER asks for money!!!

The Cost of Summer Camp