Reader's Digest/Mind Stretchers Purple?

Preying on gullible old folks....Unsolicited products...scam sales

Reader's Digest
PO Box 70040
Prescott, Arizona
My Mom, Stella Mattheus, who has resided at 1312 South Lee, Lodi, CA for the past several decades is now 87 and I recently moved her into a nursing home close to me in AZ. As her daughter I've been paying her bills. The most frequent mail she's getting is from various Reader's Digest/Publisher's Clearing House scams. The address for Reader's Digest on this statment is Pleasantville, NY 10570, but the envelope to send payment goes to PO Box 80010, Prescott, AZ 86304-8010. Mom is receiving bills for products of things that she, a diabetic, who has vision problems, has no use for...a woman who a few years ago would have recognized what's going on here. The bills they send and brochures for special purchases have no customer service number...only a number to "pay by credit card". My mom has been getting more confused for the past few years and I'm more than upset that companies prey on these lonely, gullible old folks who can be led down some lane that's not good for them by some friendly marketeer. They will receive nothing more from my mom who has subsided on a meager $14, 000 annual income for years. I've discovered that she's been signed up for three years of magazines that she claims she didn't order (although they have her credit card number), that she has boxes of "gifts" from publisher's clearing house for things she has no use for...my sister in law said she just opened a box containing a beautifully wrapped calendar/planner for 2008 that probably was sent last year. They can ruin her credit if they choose to...she won't be using it anyway...but there's NO way they'll get another cent from my mom so long as I'm paying her bills. Also, their name/reputation is now MUD to anyone I talk with!
Margaret Wilson
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Other
Was the above complaint useful?

1st of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
I recieved a box that said free gift on the cover of the box. So I opened it, because I have recieved things before for free. Then couple days later i get a bill. It has an account number. I have no account with readers Digest and I have not ordered anything from them. But the billing address is : P.O. box 80010, Prescott az. 86304-8010. The book was a crossword puzzle book. It looked old and it said free gift. Now they are billing me. I am going to find a way to hold them accountable. This is obviously SCAM! They could mail that to everyone, in an address data base, then send a bill. Even if it was the fanciest newest book possible, you could just keep billing anyne for no reason. So I am going to have to take it up with my credit bureau. Whoever is behind this, needs to go to jail.
 13th of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
My elderly mother was also a victim of similar tactics from Readers Digest and Publisher's Clearinghouse...and many others, unfortunately. Cancelling all magazine subscriptions (and getting a refund) and refusing to pay any of the bogus bills seems to be the only way to proceed. I filed a complaint with my state Attorney General but just got a form letter in response. I know they are fighting bigger battles but someone has to defend our seniors. Going thru Mom's papers after we moved her into assisted living we saw thousands of dollars had gone to these swindlers. They should be ashamed! I have faith they will pay for these actions in Hell, even if they aren't caught in this life.
 20th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
There is a phone number on the back of all the entry forms. Order numbers/customer id #s on all bills!

its 1-800-6459242. Look at pch.com . it will tell you the #! People are so dumb.
 27th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
I ordered 2 grass plants for 19.95 plus shipping and handling. I got 2 blades of grass that looked nothing like the picture of a pot filled with long bushy green grass. I got no pot either. The grass I received sells for $1.69 at the local nursery. Ripped off. I can not find a customer service # anywhere on the website.
 27th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
Oh it was PCH
 1st of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
if you ca find it cheaper at a local store, then ont order from pch. its just common sense.
 16th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
i am very disappointed i always get e-mails saying to put my e-mail address to see if i have won instantly i am also receiving letters in the mail for me to send it back and follow the directions on how to properly fill in with the correct sticker i feel very stupid out of pure desepration i always fill it out i fill i am not only wasteing my time but i am also out of a postage stamp
 1st of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
My mother is 84 years old and has also been receiving notices from Publihsers Clearing House stating that they have purchased her flowers and that they would be in contact with her in 2-5 days and also sending the brochures to purchase more items that she totally does not need!!! My mother is so hopeful that she has won and refuses to leave the house just in case PCH arrives with her prize!!! She gets up very early in the morning and prepares herself for the big surprise. It is really a disheartening shame that PCH preys on the old ... and giving them such false hope ... my entire family has tried to reason with my mother, but she just holds on to the letter and tells us we are wrong. We have actually torn up the letters, only to find out that she retrieves it from the garbage and tapes it back together. Something really needs to be done ... they often talk of elder abuse ... well PCH is performing abuse ... mental and emotional for so many older people.
 11th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes
People are stupid when it comes to the mail
 29th of Oct, 2011 by    0 Votes
When I place an order, I usually make a note of it and the date ordered. I received 2 copies of Mind Stretchers which is not user-friendly for 86 year olds like me. The crossword puzzles are HORRIBLE, and definitely not practical for the elderly. Now I have received a bill for $26.? which I have temporarily displaced as elderly people (and not so elderly) tend to do. I don't remember ordering anything that I was asked to pay for from Readers Digest and I know I did not subscribe to The Readers Digesst although I have done so in the past and it is a good magazine. I'm writing to Credit & Billing Dept., PO Box 70040, Prescott, AZ 76304-7040 and requesting a copy of my original order and if I did order Mind Stretchers, it should only cost $15 per year if I did...except I'm cancelling any more of that ghastly puzzle magazine... it's even too heavy to carry around or hold, and I can find Word Searchers at any store around, and crosswords that make sense to me.

Contact Us