logo

Fraudalent Practices

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Reader's Digest Complaints & Reviews - Subscription problem!

Reader's Digest Contacts & Informations

Reader's Digest

Posted:    Clair R. Kniselly

Subscription problem!

This company is always asking to extend your subscription long before it is due to expire. I let them do this two times and both times they screwed up. I am now getting tow magazines each month, one in my name which will expire in June 2009 and one in my wife's name which will expire in April 2008. The last time I subscribed my son was to get a gift subscription and that took a year to get resolved. I would like to see a phone number for the subscription department listed in their magazine. At least then you would be able to explain to someone what the problem is.
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

14th of Sep, 2007 by   Lorne Perry 0 Votes
Copies of Reader's Digest are being delivered to my home. I did not order these copies. I have not ordered them and will not pay for them. This apparently a practice of this corporation. If these copies keep coming, I will be forced to make this a public issue.
 11th of Dec, 2007 by   Robert Leerhoff 0 Votes
We renewed our subscription to the Reader's Digest thru the Family Reading Program (Marysville Middle School, Marysville, WA) recently. In the last week we received duplicate copies of the Dec. 07 and Jan.08 issues, but the name is misspelled (Robert Lerhoff instead of Robert Leerhoff) which is probably why the renewal was not properly credited. The coding above my name is: #RDA0731542874/7# 22781AB1 NOV09 My mailing address is: 6073 E CLINTON AVE FRESNO CA 93727-1404 Please correct the renewal to the proper name. Thank you.
 9th of Mar, 2008 by   Mrs. David Guderyon 0 Votes
I have the same problem, receiving two copies of the magazine, the second one with a subscription bill. I already renewed the first subscription in Sept. 2,2007 and don't need a duplicate.
I am sending the book back, unopened, AGAIN--, and expect this to be cleared up.

Thankyou,
Mrs. David Guderyon
5412A Riverview Cir. Dr.
Thomson, Il. 61285
Phone # 815-273-2004
 17th of Mar, 2008 by   Ted Vanderford 0 Votes
On 03-17-08 I received a bill for 12 issues of readers digest that my wife or I never ordered. I wrote letters with copies of the bill to Readers digest and readers digest billing also a copy to Orgon State Attorney General Fraud division. I stated in the letter that I want a reply from readers digest That there is no bill or order. Reference No. M64731.
 31st of Mar, 2008 by   linda shafer 0 Votes
I have always subscribed to the magazine and ordered gift subscriptions through Reader's Digest.
However, for the last year I keep getting a bill from a company called "Readers Publication services". they claim that I ordered a two year subscription from them and made one payment of $24.76 and still owe them $24.76. I have written them letters, I have sent copies of the statements to the Virginia state att. general, I have sent letters to the BBB in Stephens City, Va. I have had no responses from them. Today I received a bill saying "your account is seriously delinquent...we have sent numerous requests...etc...this matter may be refered to a collection agency". I do not like to be threatened!!! I will attemt to contact the St. Att. Gen. office --again. I checked with Readers digest and my account is in good standing and they do not reach subscribers through " Readers Publication Services". So make sure you do not use this service to order or reorder anything!!!
 22nd of Apr, 2008 by   Poornima Kesavan 0 Votes
I have exactly the same issue ! I did not request to renew my subscription and now I have received a serious overdue bill. I am trying to reach them to correct this issue and there is no phone number listed. I have always held Reader's Digest in the highest regard and this incident has made me be wary of them! I am still trying to reach their customer service.
 17th of Sep, 2008 by   Flora Goldman 0 Votes
Some time ago, I renewed my subscription and I have called several times to tell you so. I am STILL GETTING RENEWAL NOTICES. My sub is still good until July '09. Also, I have NEVER received a gift from you. Please sto harassisng me.

Mrs. Flora Goldman #RDAO71303114/#27440ABYJul09
 5th of Oct, 2008 by   Glenn Shean 0 Votes
I can not find anywhere when our subscription to Readers Digest expires and are you able to provide this information

Thank you.
Mrs. Glenn Shean
 23rd of Oct, 2008 by   Patricia J Maslen 0 Votes
I have been receiving two subsripttions for a number of months, as my husband has vascular dementia and i was so busy i didn't realize until today when i picked up the mail and i opened both of them at the same time. I would appreciateyou sending me an acknowledge ment of how I can cancel one of them I need to be responsible for one of them but which one and how much am i going to have to pay. thank you for your time. a phone number would be great to call and straigten it out as well Alberts Maslen act # is 017-840-3085 and mine is Patricia Maslen act # 013-888-6288 Thank you for your help in advance i usually check my email everyday.
 27th of Nov, 2008 by   marilyn whipple 0 Votes
I sent my payment dated 8 l8 08, which was cashed, I have not recieved the magazine as yet. What is th problem.
 25th of Feb, 2009 by   ann lindner 0 Votes
I was under the impression, and I guess either didn't read the fine print or didn't see it, that when I ordered five free gift subscriptions that all I had to pay was $17.97 and of course I do not have the paper I need to check on that point! I keep getting bills that say I owe Reader's Digest another $15.98!!:( You can be assured that I will never order this magazine again because it seems that there is a scam in here and the magazine is not even worth what they ask for it anymore. It used to be but they have cut down so much and all it seems to be are the advertisements and not many articles. Sorry Reader's Digest you have lost a customer for good.
Sincerely
Ann Lindner
Acct# RDA467508487
 25th of Feb, 2009 by   RAJASIMHAN 0 Votes
I AGREE THAT THE MARKETING OF READER'S DIGEST IS LIKE THAT ONLY. NOW RECENTLY I HAVE MADE A GIFT SUBSCRIPTION FOR MY DAUGHTER AND IT IS NEARLY A MONTH AND THE DIGEST OFFICIALS INFORM THAT THEY HAVE NOT RECEIVED THE AMOUNT FROM THE POST OFFICE AND THE COPIES ARE NOT SENT TO MY DAUGHTER TILL DATE. DIGEST IS THROWING THE BLAME ON THE POST OFFICE WHICH IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. IT IS EASY TO THROW THE BLAME ON ANY PUBLIC SECTIOR FOR MANY IN OUR COUNTRY. BUT IT IS A FACT THAT PRIVATE SECTOR LIKE DIGEST ARE ALSO WORSE THAN THE PUBLIC SECTOR. IT IS BETTER THAT THESE PERSONS FIRST SET RIGHT THEIR SYSTEM BEFORE BLAMING SOME BODY.
 13th of Sep, 2010 by   Matt Clemens 0 Votes
Reader's Digest sends me a bill every month for a subscription I've already paid. This has been going on for at least ten years now. I finally got in touch with a customer service rep about this last year. (They do exist. You just have to look really, really, really hard!) I asked her why they continue to bill me even though I've paid a year in advance. She said they just always send a bill. It will add to your subscription each time you pay it. I asked her how I would know when my subscription runs out and I really do need to pay it. She said to wait for a bill marked "Account Notice" in red. That's rediculous. I'm not paying another bill from them, even if it's marked "Account Notice". It's so thoughtful of RD to make me wait for basically a past-due notice. Lovely to show off in the mail room at my condos. I'm done.

I told my parents about this the other day. My mom told me she had been paying it every few months for years without noticing. She finally questioned the expense when looking at her check register one day. She called RD and found that her subscription was paid up for a future 16 YEARS! She had also made the decision to cancel her subscription. But they will never get thier money back. Can that subscription be placed in a will? My parents were long time customers of thier books and magazines. Since the late 50's. So 50+ years of trust is gone. Because of a stupid, slimy policy.

I used to trust Reader's Digest. But now the best advice I can give is: Beware.

Can you say scam?!
 2nd of Mar, 2011 by   dominador dy 0 Votes
Sir, until now i have not receive any communication from you to my order, about computer which i have already paid the advance 2oo.oo pesos with money order - j 055dd27962 plus my registered mail 2457. thank you dominador dy alan marketing naga city

Forced Arbitration Fading