Terrible customer service

I booked a single ticket from the Qantas website for travel between LAX and Auckland on 8th June 08. This cost US$1261, which was paid for immediately on my debit card. I wasn't too happy at the thought of traveling with Qantas, as I have had problems with them in the past, but price governs much of our activities nowadays. The following day, having found a considerably cheaper route, I decided to cancel the Qantas ticket. I had to contact their Australian office (there is no other option if you live in New Zealand). I was told the charge for canceling would be US300 and would take 2 weeks to be credited to my account. I waited for a month but no refund arrived. I tried to contact their Australian call center again on several occasions, but the waiting was never less than 15 minutes. After a month, I managed to get through after being on hold for 25 minutes, where the totally rude operator hung up within 10 seconds. I rang again, waited another 30 minutes before being told that I would have to speak to their US office at a time when they were awake (due to time differences). I duly rang again at 8am the following day, when I was eventually put through to the US office, only to be told that they were only beginning to process refunds from 5th MAY! Working on the Qantas timetable, that means I am unlikely to receive my refund (less their US$300) for 3 MONTHS. I wish I'd had the option to wait for 3 months before paying them. Never again, Qantas.
Complaint comments Comments (3) Complaint country United States Complaint category Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful?

17th of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes
You do have the option to book and pay later (up to 1 week before you leave).

But make this your last time with Qantas, they are a terrible airline. Not worth the hassle
 9th of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
I travelled with qantas on the same route a few days later...I noticed that; closer to the time, there were better deals, but decided to travel with Qantas anyway.
I had to ring them, as I had a query, but hung up after an hour! I know what you mean when you say it's impossible to get through.
While their cabin crew were great, the only reason why I flew with Qantas was because of the way Air NZ was treating their chinese staff at the time that I booked. It was either that or Qantas and they seemed the lesser of the two evils.
 16th of Oct, 2011 by    0 Votes
As a travel agent I can tell you that every airline can take up to 12 weeks to process a refund. However Qantas shouldn't have told you that the refund would be 2 weeks.

Contact Us