logo

Deceptive Marketing

Puritan's Pride
New York
Puritan.com
This company regularly runs BOGO sales for its products. Sometimes it's buy 1, get 1 free. At other times it's buy 2 and get 3 free. It also runs buy 1 and get 2 free sales, which one would presume is the best sale offered. Having purchased from this company for more than five years I just learned a dirty little secret. When it changes its sales from buy 1, get 1 free to buy 1, get 2 free it raises the price of the product. A typical item goes from $5.99 for one, to $7.99 for one. In the first instance you are getting two products for about $3 each. In the second instance you are getting three products for about $2.66 each. You're marginal savings on the third item are not as great as you would assume. The two persons I spoke with on the phone at Puritan's Pride took a "it's not my job" posture. This is one of the most blatant examples of deceptive marketing I have come across in a long time and I'm doing my best to spread the word. If anyone knows what regulatory entity might be able to address this issue, please spread the word.
Comments United States Other
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

20th of Jul, 2009 by   roby5167 0 Votes
I agree with you, this is a dishonest company. I ordered 3 items, they confirmed my order and then they sent only two items but charged me the same shipment costs. I asked them why they didn't sent the third item and they answered that it was not allowed in my country (Israel). Non sense, you could find this product on all the Super Pharms. I checked with the customs and they told that this is a false info.

Now they simply don't answer any more my emails, thats it! Don't buy anything from this company!

Roby
 27th of Aug, 2009 by   UpsetAtPuritan 0 Votes
This is one of the worst companies I've ever purchased from. The liars claim that they shipped our order, but after weeks of waiting, we have not received any products. I had some friends call and found out that they are claiming they can send out product by the next day (and this is what they told us; now they claim that they can’t send out a replacement order until they reopen their warehouse and send out all of their pre-existing orders (so much for customer service). This still claim they sent out their package and won’t refund our money after promising an overnight shipment of our already paid for products. They burned us for over $200, and don’t want to give the money back. We finally had to call our credit card company to file a dispute. BTW, UPS never received any package tracing requests and never showed the package in their system.

I would never do business with these scammers again.
 23rd of Sep, 2009 by   patman2 0 Votes
Let the parent company, NBTY, hear your concerns. The contact info:

and some more names at:

6th of Oct, 2009 by   tequiladbull 0 Votes
I've had a similar experience with Puritan's Pride, if not worse. I ordered online and hoped for a speedy delivery of the products. Instead, i simply got a confirmation after a few minutes, an almost outright charge on my credit card, but no delivery for more than a month now.

Tried to follow up with the order after a week, 2 weeks, decided to cancel but no reply from their customer service. My concern right now is that, there are two Puritan's Pride website (more maybe?).

Every page/layout/link is the same, except for the "s" after puritan. Does anybody know which link is legit?
 27th of May, 2010 by   DSAR 0 Votes
Excuse, I was wondering if someone could tell me if their products are good?
 15th of Jun, 2010 by   Ramblinlady 0 Votes
I ordered from them last month, and they double charged my bank account, and took over 10 days and many contacts to get my money.

So I thought I would give them a second chance, right? I made another order, and before it was shipped I asked that it be canceled. They charged my bank account, I have no order delivery, and they say it will be 10 days before they will refund my money.

No third chance for this company again from me...EVER! Beware.
 15th of Feb, 2011 by   Vitaminbuyer 0 Votes
They shipped me old brown colored Aloe Vera Gel Caps that I emailed to them to complain about and asked them to replace it with a fresh batch of gel caps that wasn't brown and discolored, but they never responded to my email. I emailed them again and they didn't respond. I won't ever buy from them again!!!
 25th of Mar, 2011 by   dave 0 Votes
Puritans Pride which is a company of NBTY sells old products to International buyers. They do several dirty things. one thing they do is that they hide the original date of expiry printed with a line of white paint which goes one end to the other of the label and print a new expire date over it. When you have a closer look in an angle to a light you can seen there is a distinctive contrast between the white color of the original label and the white color line that hides the actual date. Also if you just rub the two surfaces you can notice a difference in texture as well. A label that is not altered doesnt have these flaws. The lable does not mention the manufature date but only the expire date. However you can see a year mentioned under 'Carefully manufatured by' and I think this must be the manufacture year. In one product Zinc Gluconate 50 mg 100 tabs that I ordered had this alteration and the expire date was 04/2013 and the year mentioned under 'Carefully manufactured by' is 2007. I am amazed that Zinc gluconate has such a long life of 6 years. The other two products Ferrous Gluconate 28mg 100 tabs and Magnesium 250mg 100 tabs did not have such obvious alterations but The years mentioned under 'Carefully manufactured by' for Ferrous Gluconate and Magnesium was 2009 and 2008 and the expire dates were 10/2013 and 8/2013 respectively. I cant believe these products can be for 4 or 5 years without preservatives. A supplement should not be for more that 3 years otherwise its not going to be effective. I have tried these and I didnt sense any effect that there should be when taking them in such doses. I can tell this because I have used a local product for a while and I can know how its like taking 50mg of zinc within 30 minutes. International buyer be aware dont take claims like quality potency gauranteed from a company which is based in a country that does not regulate supplements by the state and allow self regulation. I dont recommend buying from them. They will sell you old products look for these clues and be aware.
 7th of Jun, 2011 by   Samnarine Singh 0 Votes
Can someone tell us who do we report these people to. there must be an internet police. Is it the FBI
 7th of Feb, 2012 by   katya35 0 Votes
I ordered some herbs from them weeks ago. I send an email asking where my order is, I get the response, it takes 8-10 business days. YEAH! It's been a heck of a lot longer than that! This company has really gone downhill. I used to order items that were in my mail box in a week.
 6th of Feb, 2013 by   bober 0 Votes
We were very surprised at Puritan's Pride since we did business with them some time back. We ordered Ginger Chews Original buy 5 and get 7 free for $19.95. We called to see if this was real and the person said it was. We only received one pkgs of Ginger Chews Original and 4 pkgs of Gin Gin candies. What a dishonest Ripoff!!! We have told others who purchased from this company and we will notify our Attorney General.
Very dissatisfied.
 30th of May, 2013 by   regalarte1 0 Votes
I Agree...things have changed at Puritans...I also like another commenter had my bank account charged twice but I got customer service from both the company and the bank on the phone at the same time and resolved the issue within 48hrs or less. Also I've received product close to expiration and it has also began taking longer to receive product. I never noticed the price increased on product sold as buy 1 get 2 free. I don't trust any institutions any more I'll now have to rethink future business with Puritans.
 25th of Jun, 2013 by   rawi 0 Votes
puritan pride is the worst customer service .i ordered products on June 20, and paid extra for next day shipping .I called them asking about my order many times .they said it would be there at the next day .Today is June 25, I haven t got it yet .I called them again the customerr service said i would be arrived at 10.30 a.m. I was not home at that time.After I got home around noo.I did not see anything I saw UPS truck by my house.i called UPS asking about the package . the answer was the packed was returned to puritan office.The UPS broke it on June 24.I called back to puritan pride they said it was not there fault it was UPS fault.I ask them to send me again i want it by tomorrow .They said it is impossible.If you need it by tomorrow you have to contact UPS by yourself otherwise i might get it on Friday.I told customerr service t paid extra money for fast shipping but they seem not want to talk about this.I decided to return the products because i am going out town.I don't to wait for it.they said i want to keep the credit for next payment or want to get money to my account.Do you think i want to order from you again.NO MORE order at puritan pride for me. there are many others vitamin store that has good quality supplement and customerr service more than puritan pride. they said it will take about 7 day to return money back.i am not the US citizen.I know the puritan is going to start bussiness.I think I should share my experience to my people. Very Dissatisfied
 27th of Dec, 2013 by   Tritchie 0 Votes
I cannot say that I have had a problem with receiving my items or billing I have however noticed their price scam!! One product is marketed as buy 1 get 2 free for $126, implying that one bottle costs $126!!! Actually one bottle at comparable competitors is about $40. We just got a catalog in the mail stating that the item is now on sale from $126 down to $95 except now its buy 1 get 1 free! How are they allowed to do this?

Beware of Phishing Scam!