Enjoy all the features! Create an account or Sign In

Publishers Direct Contacts & Informations

Publishers Direct

Posted:

sweepstakes winner

Recieved phone call to notify me of winnings in a sweepstake by publishers direct. I was informed I was a second place winner and was being called to confirm a scheduled delivery of the winning monies for the next day. after confirming and scheduling call was ended. Aprox 1/2 hour later recieved a call back informing me they couldn't keep the scheduled date because the hadn't recieved my insurance feee for delivery. they then offered to finance the insurance fee to continue with a new delivery date. representative declared they where from a govenment agency responsable for sweepstakes awards to insure proper delivery. I was provided with a phone number to call if I had questions. I called and the phone was answered by claims dept. still validating my winnings.
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Scam & Fake Checks
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

7th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
i was also called to notify me that i was a second place winner in a sweepstakes by publishers direct. was being called to confirm a next day delivery of winning monies, asked why i had not sent in my insurance fee for delivery. offered to finance the insurance fee. being leary of scams, would not agree to give credit card number, if this was actual why not take fee out of winnings? not liking my negative questions they hung up on me. don`t let this scam operation fool you.
 24th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
I just wish these people could be caught. This has been going on for years. I would think they could find out by the telephone numbers these people use. I was called yesterday and it was actually the exact episode that has been posted. Wonder why no one is ever told they are the first place winner??????? Guess they think it sounds more true if winning second place. The minute I heard I had to provide money to receive my winnings, I knew this was a scam. They told me the money would be refundable. I said why should I give it, if you are going to give it back to me. I do hope the very elderly won't be talked into this.
 16th of Mar, 2011 by    +1 Votes
We were also contacted by these people with the exact same story. Hope nobody gets duped like we did.
 30th of Oct, 2012 by    0 Votes
Well they are at it again. Phone calls to notify you of being a second place winner. Taxes have been paid and you only have to pay out the refundable insurance money. The money is to be money gram to Mexico. When ask about this was told it is against the law to send money over $10, 000.00 from one state to another and anything over $100.000.00 has to be insured. So far I have been called 5 times with different amounts for insurance each times. I told them to send the package back sine there is no way I was going to pay insurance to have a check sent to me that I know would be insured by the sending party not the receiving party.
 16th of Jul, 2013 by    0 Votes
I was just a victim of this scam ... they called me and told me I was a second place winner and that I won 500000 dollars and it would be delivered to my home in mo. On wed ...they said the only problem is I haven't piad or registered with the gaming commission in mo.so I couldn't recieve my winning. When I asked how to register he said I have to call and pay 1040 to register and receive my money ..he tried to give me a number but I told him I had it and I did .. I had the official main headquarters number for the gaming commission in mo. They told me in mo.they don't charge a fee...so I then call the attorney general in mo..and reported it to the government
 6th of Feb, 2014 by    0 Votes
I checked the complaints while Publishers Direct HAD me on the phone because I was 2nd. place winner. When Mr. Michael Cooper told me to hold on I got on the internet to check them out and found this page. When Mr. Cooper came back on to ask me for payment of the fees I asked him to hold and let me read the above complaint. After 2 lines he hung up.
 6th of Feb, 2014 by    0 Votes
I got their phone number 1-202-407-7219 thank God for ID service on phone.
 15th of Apr, 2015 by    0 Votes
I too received a call stating that I had won $650k, and that I need to pay an insurance fee up front and it would be refunded in 24 hours. I replied why not take it from the winnings, was told that the Check had already been made out. Any amount over $200k required an insurance fee.

Contact Us