logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (2 mins ago)
Auto-EQ.ca
Bad services, don’t use them
2. (9 mins ago)
Scammed me for £49.50

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Publishers Clearing House, Des Moines 50340-2939, Iowa Complaints & Reviews - Scams for gullible old folks

Publishers Clearing House Contacts & Informations

Publishers Clearing House

Posted:    Margaret Wilson for Stella Mattheus

Scams for gullible old folks

Publishers Clearing House
PO Box 4002939
Des Moines 50340-2939, Iowa
My Mom, Stella Mattheus, who has resided at 1312 South Lee, Lodi, CA for the past several decades is now 87 and I recently moved her into a nursing home close to me in AZ. As her daughter I've been paying her bills. The most frequent mail she's getting is from various Publisher's Clearing House scams...bills for products of things that my mother, a diabetic, who has vision problems, has no use for...a woman who a few years ago would have recognized what's going on here. The bills they send and brochures for special purchases have no customer service number...only a number to "pay by credit card". My mom has been getting more confused for the past few years and I'm more than upset that companies prey on these lonely, gullible old folks who can be led down some lane that's not good for them by some friendly marketeer. They will receive nothing more from my mom who has subsided on a meager $14, 000 annual income for years. I've discovered that she's been signed up for three years of magazines that she claims she didn't order (although they have her credit card number), that she has boxes of "gifts" from publisher's clearing house for things she has no use for...my sister in law said she just opened a box containing a beautifully wrapped calendar/planner for 2008 that probably was sent last year. They can ruin her credit if they choose to...she won't be using it anyway...but there's no way they'll get another cent from my mom so long as I'm paying her bills.
Sincerely,
Margaret Wilson
623-444-4275
Comments United States Other
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

20th of May, 2009 by   demers99 0 Votes
There is a phone number on the back of all the entry forms. Order numbers/customer id #s on all bills!

its 1-800-6459242. Look at pch.com . it will tell you the #! People are so dumb.
 27th of May, 2009 by   d. Cook 0 Votes
I ordered 2 grass plants for 19.95 plus shipping and handling. I got 2 blades of grass that looked nothing like the picture of a pot filled with long bushy green grass. I got no pot either. The grass I received sells for $1.69 at the local nursery. Ripped off. I can not find a customer service # anywhere on the website.
 27th of May, 2009 by   d. Cook 0 Votes
Oh it was PCH
 1st of Jun, 2009 by   demers99 0 Votes
if you ca find it cheaper at a local store, then ont order from pch. its just common sense.
 16th of Aug, 2009 by   janet lorigan 0 Votes
i am very disappointed i always get e-mails saying to put my e-mail address to see if i have won instantly i am also receiving letters in the mail for me to send it back and follow the directions on how to properly fill in with the correct sticker i feel very stupid out of pure desepration i always fill it out i fill i am not only wasteing my time but i am also out of a postage stamp
 1st of Sep, 2009 by   hatsb 0 Votes
My mother is 84 years old and has also been receiving notices from Publihsers Clearing House stating that they have purchased her flowers and that they would be in contact with her in 2-5 days and also sending the brochures to purchase more items that she totally does not need!!! My mother is so hopeful that she has won and refuses to leave the house just in case PCH arrives with her prize!!! She gets up very early in the morning and prepares herself for the big surprise. It is really a disheartening shame that PCH preys on the old ... and giving them such false hope ... my entire family has tried to reason with my mother, but she just holds on to the letter and tells us we are wrong. We have actually torn up the letters, only to find out that she retrieves it from the garbage and tapes it back together. Something really needs to be done ... they often talk of elder abuse ... well PCH is performing abuse ... mental and emotional for so many older people.
 11th of Nov, 2009 by   demers99 0 Votes
People are stupid when it comes to the mail

Consumer advice: Extended warranties