logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
unitedgenericpharmacy.com
Seller is dishonest and you will get nothing from them
2. (12 mins ago)
Rakhi World Wide
Rakhi Delivery Order
3. (16 mins ago)
Lifecell
return policy
4. (47 mins ago)
oberon games
cant reintall game and play
5. (48 mins ago)

Posted:    Lucia

Terrible customer service

Progress Energy
progress-energy.com
Normally, I do not take the time to complain or share my experiences with companies. In the past, I have felt like all companies have good and bad employees and have understood and accepted the underlying company policy. Progress Energy is different, so I am taking the time to share my experience because I know there are more consumers out there like me whose electricity is about to be disconnected.

I have been a customer of Progress Energy for many years. I have never made a late payment or called to make payment arrangements before today. I recently was forced to close a retail business because of an industry slump so I am in between jobs for the moment. I have already secured a new position, however I do not start work for a couple of weeks.

I called Progress Energy to make a payment arrangement and was denied. The denial, I was told, was based on my deposit, account history, and bill due date. Here are the facts:

The deposit on my account is more than the payment due.
I have never had a late payment after many years as a customer. My bill due date was a less than a week ago.

So of course, with that information in mind, I asked to speak to a Supervisor who could review my account and make a concession.I was transferred to another 'customer service rep' (and I use that term loosely) that said nothing could be done, I was denied a payment arrangement. I again asked to speak to someone who had the authority to review my account and change that decision. Again she told me there was no one else, then told me she would have someone else call me back. I have not heard back yet.

I did a quick search online and this is what I found:

Rates drastically increased in FL and NC in the beginning of 2009. People have been calling to complain that their 'meters are broken.' That is what I thought. I have come to realize the meter is not broken. New rates are that high.

I have found complaints similar to mine where people with otherwise good account standing were denied payment arrangements and were told to 'conserve energy' and asked to make appointments to check the energy efficiency of their homes. Progress Energy has the highest disconnect/reconnection ratio for a power company ever.

My thoughts are as follow:

Progress Energy knows there is a nation wide financial crisis and they are using it to their advantage to generate additional income off people's suffering. If they refuse a customer a payment arrangement, then they can disconnect the electricity and charge additional fees for late payments and reconnection.

If someone does not agree ask yourself this: why the ridiculous rate hikes at a time when its customers can least handle it? Why not make payment arrangements to guarantee uninterrupted power and payment for Progress Energy?

In my personal situation, my electric bill increased by $100. I am a single mom who works outside of the home. I rarely run the air or heat. I have double paned windows and the home is properly sealed and insulated. All of the appliances are energy efficient and the light bulbs are as well.

I am going to type up my experience with the customer service department at Progress Energy and send a written account to Corporate Headquarters, Public Services Commission, local media, and blogs.

I urge other folks that have similar experiences to do the same. I have never taken the time to speak out against anything before but I feel this company needs to feel public pressure to stop its anti-consumer tactics.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

27th of Apr, 2009 by   janice b suggs 0 Votes
It was nice to see that my mother and I aren't the only ones who have run into this problem with Progress Energy. She and I reside in different homes and we also have had a constant battle lately with hoping to be able to make ends meet and work with this company to keep our electric on. As for me, I'm a single mother with no child support and very little income in my home with my 3 year old daughter. Mother, who January 2009 was widowed one year, has had nothing but trouble with Progress, who she's actually overpaid when she pulled cancelled checks verses payments required throughout the past year or so. Naturally, utility companies are always the ones correct, as they posses the power to 'PULL THE PLUG" as they deam necessary. They really need more Federal regulations and laws when it comes down to pulling that plug on elderly persons and infants just the same!
 1st of Jun, 2009 by   ken drape 0 Votes
progress seems to write the rules. i posted a $405 deposit 2 years ago. when i called to check why it hadnt been returned. i was told i had 12 late payments. not enough to be shut off. i am retired and disabled. i pay my bill when my check comes in at the first of the month. i asked so now i have to go another 12 months without a late payment? i was told the 23 months would start over and i would have to wait at least 24 months to get a refund. i could understand if my payments caused a shut off.this company is not customer friendly nor understanding at all.
 5th of Jun, 2009 by   Tracey 0 Votes
Progress Energy should be closed down as an Energy Company their policies are no longer in keeping with present economic situations. The ability to turn off someones power who try to make a payment arrangement should be a federal crime. May I suggest that everyone who disagrees with the tremendous charge increases and unreasonable behaviour in trying to help consumers when they run into difficulties bring it to the attention of the Commission and gets in touch with their chosen elected representative for your voices to be heard it is time to make a stand against Companies who choose daylight robbery as a profession.
 13th of Jun, 2009 by   ticktock 0 Votes
I am so glad you posted this!

Like you-- this is something I never do-- however-- Progress Energy is the WORST "customer service" I have ever encountered.
My situation was that I bought a house and they were supposed to transfer the electric account to my name on the closing date. Well, due to an error on THEIR PART-- the electricity was shut off.
I asked them to honor what they said they would do since it was their error and they refused. The only thing they knew how to say is "I'm sorry you feel that way" and "we'll be able to send someone out Monday". You can guess what good Monday will do for me tomorrow and Sunday. Oh, and let me not forget "Is there anything else I can do for you".
I had 10 people that rearranged schedule to help me move-- who will now have to help me move in 100 degree heat with no air. I had scheduled 3 other services for Monday that require electricity-- which I've had to reschedule. And the list goes on.

First-- "I'm sorry you feel that way"???? Really? If you were sorry, then you would do something about it.
Second-- "We'll send someone out Monday". A) How can I believe you since you said you would send some out Friday and you didn't and B) WHY are there 3 levels of supervisors when NOT ONE can actually do anything?
Third-- "Is there anything ELSE I can do for you"??? You couldn't do the first "anything" so how on earth are you going to do anything ELSE??

I see a simple solution to the price hikes. Get rid of the alleged "customer service" as none of them can actually do anything.
Just have a message that says "press one if you'd like us to tell you how sorry we are but not do anything", "press two if you'd like to hear a line of excuses of why we can't do what we promise", "press three if you'd like a pre-recorded supervisor voice telling you we simply don't give a damn about you or any grief we are causing you". Since the "customer service" can't help-- this would save having to hire any of them and I could just listen to a recording which would probably be less aggravating than being transferred from cyborg to cyborg who are reading of a sheet of paper saying those very things.

The result would be the same and PE would be able to bring down rates since they would be saving all of that money on "customer service".

Oh...and wait... it gets better...
What time were they willing to schedule me for on Monday??? You guessed it--- ANYTIME between 8am and 9pm as their regular working hours are M-F 8am to 9pm.
And how ironic since the alleged supervisor I spoke with said there was NO WAY they could send someone out Friday night because it was 6pm and the service techs had gone home and they only did service for emergencies.
So they work til 9pm everyday-- except for when you are holding me hostage to your whim on a Friday night and refuse to help me?

It boils down to this: They know you need their services and they know they are the only company available. They use that to treat people like dirt and take advantage of people at every opportunity.

I'm disgusted and appalled at the behavior of Progress Energy. They have NO customer service and an INCREDIBLE LACK OF CONSCIOUS that I have not seen in my years.

I not only plan on writing to the Public Utilities Commission, I also plan on writing to my local Congressional Representative. I find writing to Progress Energy pointless as it's been made clear to me that they will do absolutely nothing.
 14th of Jul, 2009 by   terrified Mom 0 Votes
Progress Energy has now resorted to terrorist tactics since I reported them to the Public Service Commission, I now do not get a bill every month I get a shut off notice, I receive it one day and it is due the next day or shut off . No itemization or anything ...just pay or we shut you off tomorrow, every month I lay in wait horrified to see my next bill and terrified that I won't have the money by the next day . I am appalled that they can get away with such cruelty, I am a single Mother with 2 children and have been in my home for 13 years !! And no one will stop this monster !!
 31st of Aug, 2009 by   toot-toot 0 Votes
PE is a joke. I called and was told it is my A/C running the bill up. How do they know? Do they live at my house?

I asked for someone to come out and check my meter. I was told flat out NO. Was told the meter is correct.

I asked why I never see anyone reading the meter. I was talked to like I was some dumb hick and told no one comes up in your yard anymore and reads meters. I informed her that I was well aware of that. She then tells me that they can read the meter from streets or blocks away.

They want to come out and tell me where my energy is going. WHY? It is going in there pockets is where it is going. But they will not send anyone out to check a meter... "your meter is working fine" lol. Well alrighty then ... thanks for your input there Ms don't know your azz from a hole in the ground.

Bottom line... they are nasty as H E double hockey sticks!

I have done a lot to get my bill down in the past and can start living like I live in the woods again. I will do it or die! I feel the less I give them that they can't turn around and give to the smartazz hicks that ansswer the phones when it comes to a wage increase time for them.

My friend had a terrible electric bill this month as well. She called and asked for an extension and was told Nope!

It is hard enough when you open the bill and don't know how you are going to pay this and then you call and you have some idiot on the phone talking to you as if you don't have enough brains to get in out of the rain!

We need to email Gov Crist guys! We need to find some way to form a group and make enough nosise that PE is made very public on their bad behavior and the way they are sticking us in the back with a knife!
 11th of Sep, 2009 by   Carrjenn 0 Votes
I'm going to the same situation my bill came from 150.00$ a month to 409.50$ for only 1 month, I lost my job and I called them to get arrangment or something and they says NO, I offer my full unemployment check for the amount of $ 250.00 and they says they will still can do anything. I can't believed they willing to keep me with no services even if i'm trying to do my best to paid the bill and keep my kids and a place with light.
 18th of Nov, 2009 by   wilmnc 0 Votes
I recieved a final notice to expire November 19, 2009 on November 10th, it was dated November 9th. I then recieved a disconnect notice on November 17th dated November 16th. The disconnect notice was to expire NOvember 19th as well!!! When I called PE of course they could not extend payment. When I asked about the expiration date for the final notice being the 19th, they didn't give me until the 19th to pay before they sent the disconnect for the 19th. Why they bother to send a final notice I can not explain!!! Neither can they!!!
 21st of Jan, 2010 by   Rugerman 0 Votes
I can not believe PE's attitude towards their costumers. I'm going through the same situation as everybody here, and I thought I was the only one. On their website there's no information on who to contact with this kind of problems or complaints, just the general address. It's frustrating.
 28th of Jun, 2010 by   Ubreak 0 Votes
Progress energy doesn't care about the costumers because they no they don't have to compete for your business. They have every one by the balls.
 30th of Jul, 2010 by   M. Parker 0 Votes
My mother has had an account with them since 1972. I was living with her as her care giver for last 2 years as her health deteriorated. She passed away this past April, and left me her home where I continue to live. Once Progress Energy discovered she passed, they said I had 2 weeks to transfer the account to my name. Once I called them to do so, they stated that I had to pay a security deposit of $385.00 up front in addition to my mothers bill of $299.00 or they will cut service (in the middle of the hottest July in recorded history), $684.00 I had to pay within 2 days. I informed them that I just buried my mother, and that I had no such funding as I work only part-time at $8.00 per hour and that there's no way I can come up with almost $700.00 in 2 days when I am already struggling just to eat. I asked could they please break the security deposit down into payments over several months. The account rep was EXTREMELY rude and stated " if 1 out of 5 customers had that same excuse, we couldn't stay in business". Their first quarter earnings for 2010 was 213 million dollars BTW, yeah they are really struggling. Well, they did cut my power, and now I sit in a house with no power for the past 2 weeks (I am at a friends house on his PC for those who are curious) and to top off this crap, I was let go from my crappy-ass job as it was a temp position anyway and they currently don't have enough business to keep my position. So, I am doomed. Thanks alot PE, you a the epitome of a greed driven monopoly. (yes, this is a duplicate post, but why not.. I am going to post my issues on EVERY PE post)
 23rd of Sep, 2010 by   Judy Hancock 0 Votes
my experience is also similar to all these..I had a request more time agreement...however even so I didn't forsee being out of work under my Doctor's cre for 3 weeks and was unable to keep the agreement I had made..called pe and explainned this to them and also that I had a brother in my home with severe C.O.P.D and on oxygen...no concern to them..shut off date will be in a few days..so I guess he will be hospitalized... there is no compassion with this company..I wasn't asking for charity...just some extra time to pay...disgusted with customer service...
 31st of Dec, 2010 by   Ruth Blow 0 Votes
I agree with EVERY SINGLE COMMENT HERE, PE is the most rudist people I have ever worked with, they know they have all of us over a barrel their barrell of oil, W e have no choice but to use their services. My husband has a book and checks the meter 2 times aday, our average bill has been 305 mnth, we are both on fixed incomes and in the summer it went up in August to 464.00 we had our thermastat set at 72 using only 1 light bulb during the day over the range, we turn off our hot water heater now our average kilawatts without that was 70 now we are down to 40. But this winter we had to use the heater and avage daily is 110 and that is a tran 3 yr old heat and air unit. we had a energy check and very little losses in the home, Now on top of us trying to bring the bill down and watching the kilawatts, we had 2 accounts one here and one in New Port Richey, the person my sons exwife did not pay on her bill since Aug 2010 and now my bill here is now 1012.00 her 518. and my bill 333 and the one I just paid of 176. I called to see what we could do about the other bill being put on mine and of course THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO, although it shows you paid your bill on time because the services of both is in the same name you have to pay the whole bill or loose your services. OMG well that aint going to happen so out comes the generater I guess. we are trying to figure out what to do to create our own electric. it is a real shame that companies run by our goverment cant see how hard it is for all of us to pay these extreme large bills, if THE GOVERMENT DONT GET YOU AT THE GAS PUMPS THEY GET YOU ON THE ELECTRIC Progress your company STINKS AND EXTREMLY RUDE.
 11th of Jan, 2011 by   File 0 Votes
They are the worst company ever. I hope this New Company that is buying them has a customer services department. They actually came out to shut off my power and I had a 2 and a 5 year old and it was 98 degrees out in Florida. I stop the service guy and asked him if he could wait I was going to call them and pay the bill on the phone and he said no. I called and paid it that second as he drove off. He also made sure I was the last turned on that night @ 830pm…
 7th of Feb, 2011 by   Magzb 0 Votes
All I know is tat they take your deposit and your electricity is still not on by 3pm the next business day. You can call and they can't give you a time, Seems to have no way to contact their techs for an ETA and they all just say we know it will be on Today. Nothing that helps you in case you are trying to move in somewhere before the leasing office closes. Some places will not give you your apartment key when your lights are not on yet. It's like come on. WHAT kind of system are you guys working with. Even Sears has the ability to contact their techs and ask for an ETA. They can at least send a work order comment to the tech telling them hey, this needs to be on before 3pm but no, not Progress Energy. They don't even split up your deposit payments like all the other power company's do. You have to pay it all up front and if you don't have it then you are SOL. You have to literally call every fifteen minutes and ask hey, is it on now? Cause they don't have a time frame to just give you so you won't keep calling their phone. You have to call each time and ask. Is it pending or active. Most of the time, like, 99.9% of the time, it will still be pending after 3 to 3:30pm.
 19th of Apr, 2011 by   laghf 0 Votes
I'm so glad I found this comment string. PE has the WORST customer service. I'm not sure what their process is for that but it stinks.

This morning a tech shows up at my house to disconnect to my surprise. I thought he was the meter reader. When he told me I asked him, can you wait 3 mins while I call and make the payment so you don't have to cut it. He said "No, I have to cut it off." So I ran inside, scrambled for the phone ... called and began to make the payment over the phone. About the time I was giving my credit card information, the power was cut off. I told this to the account rep. He told me to tell the tech. My sister went outside to tell him that the bill was being paid. He said "I cannot do anything until my truck gets the ticket" and drove off. I told them to the rep who seemed surprised. I was frustrated simply b/c this all happened in a matter of 5 mins or less. The rep said that he put in the ticket for reconnection and we hung up.

But that's not the end of the story... I called back to complain about how rude the tech was about not waiting. I talked to a customer service rep. She made some excuses for him about policy yada yada yada. But said... I see in your file that you are scheduled to be cut back on. He should be back out there very soon. Well, this was about 9 am. I checked back with my sitter at 1:30 - no power. My husband calls PE at 2 PM. Low and behold... they claim when you pay your bill - YOU have to submit a work order to have YOUR power cut back on which had NOT been done. How ridiculous does that sound? I feel like I have been through the ringer today. I mean why would the first account rep charge me the reconnection fee if he wasn't going to have it reconnected????? How can you do good business that way?
 21st of Jul, 2011 by   IhatePE 0 Votes
PE is the single worst company I have ever dealt with. I have two bills - one for an apartment and one for our home. I called to get an extension for the first time ever this week. It's not due to having a shortage of funds - it's because my entire purse was stolen in Key West and I have no credit cards, no debit card, and as a precaution my bank closed all of my accounts. I have no drivers license because I have had to send away for a certified copy of my birth certificate to take to the DMV to get a new license, and my bank will not reopen an account for me without valid ID - I simply have no access to money until a replacement credit card comes or I get my drivers license. I called PE and they gave me an extension for the apartment account, but refused to give me an extension for my home. I have no idea why and I got some excuse about how the apartment bill is less than $100. My house bill is $192 - and they have a deposit on this account of $405.
I am due for shut off today. I called again today to see if there was ANYTHING that ANYONE can do, and offered to fax a copy of the police report for my stolen items. I was told, no, sorry, but we simply can't do anything to help you and we will be happy to turn on your power once the payment is made. It looks like that will be in about another 5 days - in the middle of July in Florida.
I hate this company and their lack of customer service. It's like dealing with the mafia - pay us, or we make your life a living hell.
 23rd of Aug, 2011 by   Dlaine 0 Votes
I totally agree with everything being said here this is the absolute worst company i have ever had to deal with!!
they shut my power off without notifying me and when i called and asked why i didnt at least get a phone call the so called manager asked why he should have to notify anyone i explained that i have an english bulldog that is very very sensitive to the heat and that he could have had a heat stroke while i was gone to work for eight hours and he was locked inside with no a/c he simply asked why that was his problem!!! i asked if i could please pay the amount in full on the 1st when i got payed he said no there was nothing he could do that until it was paid it would not be reconnected so after an hour of borrowing money from everyone i could think off i paid my bill and then it took then 7 hours to reconnect my power!! 7 hours when i called to see what the deal was he said they had until midnight to get it done it was reconnected at 11:48
 8th of Sep, 2011 by   Mrs. McMillan 0 Votes
Progress energy has been billing me some outrageous bills for several years now each time i call, they insist I use that much energy I know people with pool who do not pay as much as I do. My latest run in with this company. My bill was $292. I paid 200 and balance $92. on September 2nd I paid $93.00 on September 6th they cut my service. at 10:48am because that is when my clocks stopped. I called those arrogrant rude CS people The first rep said she will put an order out for my service to be re-connected but they have untill midnight to do that. then she transferred me to billing to waive the reconnect fee, well this CS rep was ms. progress energy she stated I should of called when I made the web payment therefore its my fault the service was interupted so she will not waive the reconnect fee. I use energy savings bulbs. I have a digital thermostat its on 80 during the days 78 at night no pool and I still have outrageous bills this compnay rip people off they get away with it because they know there is nothing we can do the consumers are at the mercy of this lousy company.
 20th of Sep, 2011 by   Gkirk 0 Votes
Progress energy takes no responsibility and doesn't care about their rudeness, they set my wood fence on fire when their transformer blew up and they told me tough luck, they dont have to pay me anything because they are protected by law. On top of that they treated me like I was an idiot for expecting them to re-imburse me. I even wrote the CEO and not even a form letter reply.

The 3 Best Tips to Higher Credit Scores