logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Penn Foster
Won't let me cancel courses
2. (0 mins ago)

Posted:    Loki2005

Hidden charges

Priceline.com
Pennsylvania
Priceline does not disclose that it hits the consumer with hidden charges. Even with a confirmed room rate when my credit card billing statement came in it showed that I was charged an additional $33.00 per night for my room.

When I questioned the hotel they informed both me and the PA State Attorney General Office that Priceline has hidden charges for booking rooms and that they do not disclose to the public the fact that there are hidden charges for using Priceline. Even with a confirmed room rate I was charged 40% more by priceline for their hidden fees.

When I called priceline the and asked to speak with a manger I was told that there are no managers to speak with - when I questioned the CSR as to how a company can legally hit a consumer with undisclosed fees that are 40% of the confirmed room rate I was hung up on.

I spent 3 hours on the phone trying to get back the amount of the hidden fees, no one helped me. When I asked for a mailing address I was told there is no mailing address only the internet site which provides no help to the consumer when they are trying to get back the hidden fees. Again when I questioned the legality of undisclosed fees after the consumer already has a confirmed room rate I was hung up on.

Something needs to be done to protect the consumer from this false advertising.
Comments United States Hotels
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

3rd of Jun, 2008 by   Valerie 0 Votes
First of all, I am not out a bunch of money (though I could have been). I am mostly unhappy with the treatment I received from some script-reading "customer service" people.

I suspected there could be something "hidden" that I wouldn't like, so I made a reservation for only one night instead of the entire week. Sure enough, there was an $18 per night charge for parking! No, not valet parking...just self service parking.

Please beware when making "name your price" reservations through priceline. Once they have your credit card info, whatever money you've agreed to spend is gone. There is no process for recovering your money. After speaking with two people who read from the same script, I was advised that the only way to elevate the complaint was to send an email - which I did. The complaint was answered identically as my two previous telephone conversations went - a recitation of company policy.

I've used Travelocity, Orbitz and AAA Travel - each of them was much more accommodating and the rates were just as good. And with each of these, you know what you're getting before you commit to spending your money.

For the record, I called the hotel where the additional fees were added. They were very understanding and were happy to cancel the reservation...but needed someone from Priceline to authorize it. I bet you can guess what the odds were of that happening!

In short, stay away from Priceline - too much risk for too little reward!!!
 28th of May, 2010 by   Loki2005 0 Votes
Priceline. And the 40% fee for using priceline was NEVER disclosed.

The hotel that I stayed at is also having problems with priceline telling the guests one price for the confirmed room and then charging a much higher price.
 29th of May, 2010 by   Loki2005 0 Votes
Nothing was added on. I have the confirmed price from priceline but that does not seem to matter they went ahead and added 40% to the confirmed room rate.

The hotel manager informed both myself as well as the PA State Attorney Generals office that this is common with Price Line.

I plan to contact the NY Major TV networks to see if the trouble shooting departments would perform an investigative report on these hidden charges. Also, no one at Priceline will discuss this with me when I pose the question as to how a company can disregard a confirmed price and then add 40% to the confirmed price my telephone call is disconnected by the CSR hanging up on me.
 13th of Sep, 2010 by   P b meyer 0 Votes
I had the same thing happen to me on car rentals (Avis & Budget). According to their managers, Priceline does not fully pay the contracted rate and the car company will charge the balance to the consumer. Has anyone filed with the State Attorney's office?

Avoid Increasing Mortgage and ID Theft Scams