logo

K.W.S Windows and Conservatories
FAILED TO HONOR OUR GUARANTEE
5. (45 mins ago)
Kimtech.ca
They stop responding emails and our phone calls

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Pop Century Resort, Lake Buena Vista, Florida Complaints & Reviews - Bed bugs, dirty room.

Pop Century Resort Contacts & Informations

Pop Century Resort

Posted:    vlmtravels

Bed bugs, dirty room.

Pop Century Resort
1050 Century Drive
Lake Buena Vista, Florida
go.com
I’m amazed by the number of positive comments on here about Pop Century. I’ve done a lot of domestic & international travel and have stayed at all types of hotels – good, bad & ugly. STAY AWAY from this one. We had problems with everything from bed bugs to housekeeping throwing personal items away. My fiancé & I stayed at Pop for 1 week and I can assure you that we will never return to this hotel even if they were giving the rooms away. The lobby was fine. Nothing spectacular, but it was clean and the front desk personnel were friendly. The outside décor is interesting and looks cool from afar, but “good from far, far from good.” We stayed in a “Preferred” room which costs a little more, but it’s closer to the lobby, pool, and restaurant. This is a large resort, so if you choose not to heed my warning, at least pay the “Preferred” rate. Upon entering the room, I was surprised at how very small it was and the stains on the carpet. The bathroom was even smaller with only the tub and toilet; the sink is outside in the main living area with little counter space and no water pressure. The bathtub grout has darkened over time as a result of mildew buildup and small pieces of grout were missing altogether. There were tiny black bugs on the bathtub floor to welcome us every morning. The corners of the floor and at the base of the wall were filthy & clearly not cleaned in years. There is no refrigerator or microwave and if you want to access the internet, it’s $9.95/day. The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything. The plumbing is worse. You will know every time a neighbor flushes the toilet or takes a shower. Bring ear plugs. As for transportation to the parks, expect to wait in long lines for the crowded bus rides. We endured and, yes, although you spend a lot of time outside of the room, you eventually have to return and it would be nice to come back to a clean room without the fear of bed bugs. After being there for a couple of days, we found ourselves very itchy and developed red bumps on our arms and legs – bed bugs. Mosquito bites? Definitely not. My brother and his family were staying at the Ramada Celebration hotel and we met them everyday in the parks. They were perfectly fine. No itching or scratching or red bumps the entire time AND their room was only $28/night (and they had free Wi-Fi)! The kicker came the last night we were there. We returned to our room late at night to find it in disarray. The beds were made and the towels were refreshed, but our toiletries, which I always left neatly arranged in the shower and on the vanity, were all over the place sitting on the toilet tank or knocked over on the vanity and a cup that I had been saving on the vanity was missing as well as our guides and ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign. I walked down to the front desk & spoke with the manager who was very nice about the situation and had the head of Housekeeping call me to apologize. Interestingly enough, I later heard the woman in the next room outside talking to housekeeping about how all of her items had been put on the bathroom floor, on top of her suitcase and in disarray throughout the room. That, to me, is scary because you wonder what else the housekeeper was doing in your room when no one was watching. I would say to you to lock up your valuables in the in-room safe, but it’s a wall safe that is bout 2 inches deep – not fitting much in there. I recommend locking everything up in your suitcase before leaving the room. Considering my brother only spent $28/night for his room (through HotWire) and had a better experience than me, price isn’t always a determining factor in service. Pop Century is considered a budget Walt Disney World hotel and does attract a certain class of people. I couldn’t believe the number of parents sitting by the pool every day with several beer bottles on the table and ash trays all over the place. There are big planters filled with sand throughout the pool area for cigarette butts. Not a pretty site. There are kids everywhere, so if you don’t have kids, don’t smoke, don’t like being eaten alive at night, and prefer a higher level of service, class and cleanliness, DO NOT stay at Pop Century or, from what I understand, any of the All-Star Resorts. NEVER, EVER AGAIN.
Comments United States Hotels
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

12th of May, 2009 by   ACS1107 +1 Votes
Wow. I am completely appalled. We usually stay at the Beach Club, but had to stay at Pop Century about 5 years ago when we decided to join our family on the trip at the last minute. We had absolutely no problems with anything Disney related (room/housekeeping), but have to admit that we spent a lot of time at the parks or with our family at the Beach Club pools.

I will agree that, unfortunately, the type of people that stay there are more undesirable than the other hotels. I was doing a load of laundry at the hotel and, right in front of me, someone stopped my dryer and started to unload my clothes. When I said something to her she got an attitude and started cussing. I complained to the front desk, who sent someone to speak with her.
 25th of Jun, 2009 by   Sarah 0 Votes
It's a Value hotel, which means it costs less, which means it is not the Grand Floridian. If you go in there with a hoity toity attitude, your experience will be disappointing. Pop Century is designed to be a place to sleep in between having Disney fun.

It your room was that bad, why didn't you request another room? Why did you continue to stay in a room with "tiny black bugs" and bedbugs? You make a ton of complaints about your stay, yet the only thing you actually complain to the staff about is some spilled shampoo?

Bring the ear plugs? Give me a break! I've stayed at Pop Century and the sound is not that bad.

The only thing I agree with you on is the wait for the buses. Way too long.
 2nd of Jul, 2009 by   vlmtravels 0 Votes
Sarah - keep in mind it's all relative and I'm happy you enjoyed your stay. You like "value" hotels and I've learned that they are not for me. I simply prefer hotels with higher standards and have learned my lesson. Like the poster prior to you stated, the type of people that stay at Pop Century are more undesirable than at other hotels. You get what you pay for.
 7th of Jul, 2009 by   Sarah +1 Votes
While SOME people that stay at value hotels are undesirable, not all of us are. Some of us are nice, quiet people who just can't afford to stay at the moderate (or higher) hotels. So some parents were relaxing with a beer and a cigarette at the pool bar on their vacation. Did you see anyone getting obnoxiously drunk and loud? Did these smokers blow smoke in their children's faces? They were sitting outside in a designated smoking section and having a few drinks. Oh, the humanity!

You are right in that it's all relative. You think people with less money than you, people who smoke and people who drink are undesirable. I think people who have a holier-than-thou attitude are undesirable. So I'll agree to stay away from the Ramada Celebration if you promise to stay away from Pop Century Resort. Although, for $28/night, I doubt the Ramada will be any more high class than a Disney value resort.
 29th of Nov, 2009 by   bsworks 0 Votes
Yikes, "vlmtravels" - you are a cheap person to expect so much for so little. The Pop Century Resort is a Value Resort...its a standard room at a standard price. If you want a room with a refrigerator or microwave...you need to stay at more exclusive resort for your needs. But you chose Pop Century...why so you can have something to complain about??? Or you were trying to save money?

And when you had problems in the room why didn't you call the front desk to report the problems?? The only way you can complain about Disney Hotels is if you reported the problem of the little black bugs or Bed Bugs to them and they did nothing.
Disney Hotels are not excluded from the rest of the world problems.

I am just so confused that a world traveler = vlmtravels : wouldn't complain at problems with the room. So when you stay at other hotels do you wait til after you leave to complain about their short comings or problems???

How to Buy an Auto Safety Kit