logo

ATM Scam

PNC Bank
Union Deposit Road
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
I have had two problems with this bank. I'll admit I am not a customer (and never will be after finding out what their service is like), but I like to use their ATM to make deposits to another banking account that I kept when I moved, but is not especially close to me. The reason I like this ATM is because it will scan the deposited check and put it a copy of it on my receipt. A few months ago, I actually made an envelope deposit with 3 checks enclosed. In this case, I didn't have the benefit of the checks being scanned--because there was more than one I had to use an envelope. BIG MISTAKE. About 10 days later, my bank sucked the money back out of my account, and I was told that PNC claimed there was "no envelope". As anyone who has ever made an ATM deposit knows, nothing is credited until the envelope is inserted so that didn't even make sense, but the bank told me it could have also mean that there was nothing in the envelope. I tried to call PNC directly, and got nowhere. I just wanted someone to recheck the deposits for that day, or to check the machine to be sure it wasn't stuck in there somehow. More than anything I was worried about where the checks were and whether they could have somehow ended up in the wrong hands. Because I'm not their customer, they couldn't have cared less. They told me they wouldn't even address my concerns with me directly, that I had to file a dispute claim with my bank. I did that. They apparently still didn't care, and 30 days later the dispute basically "expired" because PNC never even bothered to respond. And I was stuck with the nightmare of how to deal with the missing checks.

The second problem happened when I tried to make another deposit. This time I figured I was wiser, and thought that if I just deposited one check at a time, I'd have the security of the face of the check on my receipt. But, what happened this time was unbelievable. I entered my card & PIN, the machine shows some kind of advertisement for PNC, and then asks which language, I chose English, get the ad again, and then a screen saying that the machine will charge $2.50 for a cash withdraw from my non-PNC account (another rip-off), but I figure I'm making the deposit, not a withdraw, so I hit OK. Then the machine tells me to take my cash!! I NEVER ASKED FOR CASH. It spit out $60 (the typical "fast-cash" amount at most ATM's). I really needed that money in my account, not out of it, and I certainly didn't want to be charged $2.50 for the inconvenience. Now, I still have to make my deposit that I wanted to make, plus put the $60 back in. Needless to say, I'll be making those deposits elsewhere, because I absolutely will NEVER use PNC's banks, ATM's, parking garages, ballparks (sorry Pittsburg Pirates), restrooms, or anything else EVER AGAIN!
Comments United States Banks
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of May, 2010 by   andrew32 0 Votes
They doing whatever they can get you moneys . They keep charge so many fees and overdraft fees . They are intended to making more moneys as soon as possible . They charge me 36.00 dollars overdraft in three times in one day . That is ridiculous

Last Minute School Shopping