logo

Pioneer Credit Recovery

Posted:    JazzF44

Don't fall for them

Pioneer Credit Recovery
Pioneer Credit Recovery claims to be associated with Direct Loans and the US Dept. of Education. They have been harassing me for at least 3 months on old defaulted student loans from 2004. They are claiming they can garnish my wages, or my tax refunds if money isn't handed over immediately. All they seem to be interested in is getting my checking account information so they can enroll me in a 'debt rehabilitation program' where they would automatically pull $97 a month from my checking account every month for a minimum of nine months. It may not seem like a huge amount, but my family and I are low-income, and we currently live on less than $1000 a month.

I want to pay these loans back, but I don't know if they are valid, as all my student loans have been with Great Lakes (who I am currently in hardship deferment with). I haven't been in school since 2005, when I gave birth and became a stay-at-home mom to my almost four year old son.

Calling PCR does no good, as every time I speak with someone, I get a different story and a different attempt to get money from me. I have called Direct Loans AND the US Dept. of Education, both of whom claim not to be able to tell me anything other than my supposed 'loan' is being handled by PCR, and I have to go through them. I tried to go to PCR's website, and it has nothing but an error message and a blank page. And I'm still getting phone calls on a weekly basis, even though I have requested to be removed from the call list while I research the authenticity of these loans.
Comments United States Business & Finances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

15th of Feb, 2010 by   Summer Skies -2 Votes
PCR is a legit company. They're not just debt collectors, but they will help you rebuild your credit, too. The 9-month Rehabilitation Repayment plan is a federal government program. Student loans are federally backed so the IRS can garnish your tax refund as well as 15% of your paychecks if PCR can't successfully collect from you.

Deferments don't last forever; eventually they will run out. I'm sure you're having hard financial times, we all are, but you have to be responsible for your debt. You said the loan was from 2004. That was 6 years ago. Buck up and pay your bills.
 24th of Feb, 2010 by   whatever2323 0 Votes
I have also been dealing with Pioneer Credit Recovery over Sallie Mae loans. I did allow them electronic access to my account and have been paying for several months. They claim they wont show my payments on my credit report until I sign their paperwork. Unfortunatly my loan balances with Sallie Mae were $21, 000 and now with Pioneer they are $31, 000. Sallie Mae wont talk to me because Pioneer is handling my account now, and Pioneer cant explain the $10, 000 difference.

Ridiculous.
 25th of Mar, 2010 by   Anonomous One +1 Votes
I signed up with their "Rehabilitation Plan" about 6 months ago. I needed THREE DAYS more to come up with the required $1, 000+ for the start up of this "Plan" and as I ask for this the lady says no we can't give any type of extension. I say well that was the maximum length of time FROM YOUR COMPANY that I could negotiate when I called. The lady says well I'm sorry ma'am we can't give an extension. I then ask her, "So it would have been better for me NOT to respond to your threatening phone calls?" she says yes ma'am it would have.

I was trying to be a responsible person like you say but then when I call weeks before the payment is due to let you know I need to wait for my paycheck in 3 days I'm told no. That is ridiculous.

Now they are contacting me again. They have called my place of business 3 times today. Is this not harassment? I don't have the $1, 000+ needed to participate in your "PLAN" and if I do respond to you then I open myself up to wage garnishment. Which you can't legally do because I have not been in my job long enough. The other lady told me you have to be in your current job for over a year to have your wages garnished. The same lady that threatened to do that if I didn't come up with the money on the date required.
 3rd of May, 2010 by   Not on welfare like all the whiners +1 Votes
They also harass innocent neighbors of people who owe money

if this happens to you call and complain direct to their CEO Harold Wickline

Phone - (800) 836-2442 and hit the prompt for dial by name
 13th of May, 2010 by   helping info 0 Votes
When you receive a letter from the company, YOU have 30 days to prove that you do not owe the debt. They are not responsible to prove that you do owe it. They are contracted with Sallie Mae and the Department of Education to collect on past due student loan accounts. Neither Sallie Mae or the Dept of Ed will have information on your loans once they are in default as they are placed with a company to collect them.

When your loan goes into default, you are charged a percentage of your loan for a company to collect on it. Every time that your loan is moved to another company, more money is added. That is why a loan for $21, 000 can turn into $31, 000. The longer you wait to take care of it, the more money will be added. Also, there is an interest rate that increases once the loan goes into default, you no longer have the amount for which you signed. Because of this, your balance will change every day. Just like a credit card, the interest is added. They are able to garnish your wages and your tax refund can be taken as well. All of this information is included in the promissory note that you signed in order to get the loan in the first place.

There are certain stipulations in order to be set up into any program if your loan is in default. The minimum payment for the rehabilitation program is either $50 or 10% of the balance, whichever is greater. The payments do need to be secured for all 9 months. After that your loan will be considered to be back in good standing and the payments can then be sent in again. Just like any other bill, if you pay late then there are consequences. For the rehabilitation program, a late payment is just like not making one at all. The purpose of the program is to show your good faith in making 9 payments in a row, on time in order to get your loan put back into good standing. If you know when the payment is due, make sure you have the money in there. They do not have the ability to change payments for the most part. Everything is calculated out to when your due date is and when they payments need to post.

You get the calls based off a dialer-system. Some person is not sitting at a desk repeatedly dialing your number to bug you. If you make payments or set up an arrangement, you will not be constantly contacted to take care of it. Also, they are able to contact people who may be able to get in touch with you as long as they do not disclose that it is for a debt. If you don't want your neighbors, job or family bothered, then take care of your accounts.

The National Student Loan Data System can list the student loans that you took out over the course of your studies. You need to know specific information in order to view the data. This data site will not list any loans that you took out from a private organization.

If you are truly in a financial hardship, then apply for the William D. Ford Direct Loan program which is able to legally offer you smaller payments in order to take care of your loan. However, this paperwork generally needs to go through the collection agency.
 25th of May, 2010 by   Kim Woolard/ Jetsie Sutton +2 Votes
PCR contacted me in regards to a student loan from 1985 from a school that did not accept me for training. They are insisting that I give them mine and my sisters checking account information so that I can participate in a 9 month rehabilitation program to clear up this Federal Default loan. I research the US Department of Educations website under the 588 plan (which by the way is the No Child Left Behind Act) and they are not listed anywhere as one of the agencies the government is using to collect debt. PCR gave me a phone number for the US Department of Education (1-800-621-3115) that didn't seem ligit, I've tried calling the US Ed. and finally referred back to the website. This company is a fraud and theres no record of my debt from 1985.
 17th of Jun, 2010 by   Are you kidding me?! +1 Votes
I think that the Department of Education should shoulder some responsability for contracting with these companies. My student loan originated for about $3000. Since then an income tax return was intercepted for $1400 and I had them auto drafting $65.00 out of my bank account each month. When I called the Department of Education to find out my balance, it was still $3000!! I have tried in vain to get a payment history and can't. Now, they are deducting $206 out of each paycheck. Doesn't seem like our government is protecting us as it should in these situations either.
 7th of Jul, 2010 by   JHull 0 Votes
PCR garnished my paycheck for 3 months after the debt had been paid. They are refusing to return their payments. Before anything was deducted from my paycheck, I paid the debt in full, and saved my confirmation number. After they contiued with the garnishment, I have contacted them many times. All I get from them is refusal to talk to me. I spoke with Ann Powers, who is probably the haughtiest, rudest person I've ever spoken with in my life. I also spoke with the executive manager Matt George, who did nothing but tell me that if the debt had been paid before they received the account, none of this would've happened. He told me to get an attourney, but told me that it would cost more to hire an attourney than the $1200 dollars they currently owe me. So he admitted they owe me money, but refuse to send it back.
 7th of Jul, 2010 by   scoobydoo -2 Votes
Why should they care if you got knocked up and you're not making a living? Why go to college if you intend to just get pregnant and become a stay at home mom? That debt will follow you forever, student loans don't just disappear. And if you're intending on buying a home at anytime the shits really gonna hit the fan when they view your credit report.
 7th of Aug, 2010 by   Debtorsfriend +1 Votes
Here is what I have to say about student loan default. If you are in default of your student loan, then obviously something must be wrong in a person's life where they are not able to pay. Most likely financial hardship, which in this day and age isn't hard to believe. Collection efforts by creditors to obtain payments from debtors who are unable to pay is ridiculous. If you have told your creditor you are unable to pay due to some financial hardship, then there continuing to ask you for payment is nothing short of insanity. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. If creditors don't want to deal with bad debt and the people behind the bad debt...then STOP EXTENDING CREDIT TO PEOPLE! Is that so hard to understand?! Shit happens in this life and people fall on hard times, many times the hard times don't go away and people live their entire lives on a meager income barely making ends meet. How many people are on public aid/assistance programs who can't afford the basic necessities of life. And jobs are few and far between in this country. Bankruptcy is an option for people who have no other option to obtain a "fresh start" in life and to get out from underneath oppressive debt...student loans being one of them. But congress in their infinite wisdom has made student loans next to impossible to discharge due to abuses in the bankruptcy system some 30 years ago from unscrupulous people declaring bankruptcy to get out of their debt, even when they had excellent incomes and could pay them off. So now, the rest of us have to SUFFER because of a few unscrupulous individuals. Bankruptcy law needs to be changed to allow for the discharge of student loan debt. If a person cannot pay...they CANNOT PAY! You don't continue harrassing a person for payment they simply DO NOT HAVE! Christ! Insane.
Here's what you can do about student loans. Contact the lender. Tell them you want your student loans WRITTEN OFF and FORGIVEN. You cannot pay due to financial hardship and prove this to them. Send in income and expense statements. Tell them unless your situation drastically changes for the better, (an inheritance or winning lottery), you will never be able to pay. The courtroom test for student loan discharge is the BRUNNER TEST. It has 3 facets theat must be met. 1. Is this student loan causing you hardship if you were forced to repay it. (You have the right to a minimal standard of living in Bankruptcy court and that does NOT mean living in poverty...just not living in luxury...low middle class is acceptable). 2. Is there some external factor that is causing you not be able to pay this student loan back? Tell the court what it is. and 3. Do you at least attempt to make some good faith payments initially on the loan before you fell on hard times. These 3 points must be proven for discharge of the loan.
Finally, when the student loan holders attempt to tell you to sign an agreement to use their (WILLIAM D. FORD DIRECT LOAN PROGRAM) for reduced payments you can handle...DON"T DO IT! Why? It places you in a 25 year obligation to the loan people and interest during this time will continue to accumulate AND if the loan is not completely paid off at the end of 25 years, the remainder that will be fogiven...you will be held liable to the income taxes on the amount forgiven. SICK!
One last thing you might try is a compromise in writing to the loan holder. Banks many times accept 10% on the dollar to settle bad debts. Student loan people can do the same thing. Afterall 10% is better than NOTHING. And if they are looking at the prospect of never being repaid, at least this would be an option to benefit THEM and YOU!
Hope this helps some one!

By the way, I AM ON THE SIDE OF THE DEBTOR! CREDITORS are PREDATORY and like I said before, if CREDITORS don't want problems with DEBTORS...then there is an easy solution. STOP EXTENDING CREDIT! Life is NOT PERFECT and how many times do things not work out for people in this life. These CREDITORS BETTER REALIZE THIS! END!
 30th of Aug, 2010 by   oldmanonss 0 Votes
Thanks for the information. I have been getting daily calls and ignoring them. They were supposed to send the direct loan information but never did. I am on Social Security and am just getting by and cannot not afford a large payment at once and will not give them my bank information.
 26th of Sep, 2010 by   Lovels90 -2 Votes
first - calling neighbors is completely legal, restricted but legal.

second - they are FEDERAL backed. The gov't will get their money one way or another. Wage garnishment, tax offsets. with nothing you can do about it, thing is you'll get garnished for YEARS until it's paid off. suggestion, get into a program and get out of default so they can't do that

third - the $1000 difference is a standard collection fee. After 90 days of the debt becoming a debt you can still argue it's validity. after that it's rare, anyways after that 90 days, according to the type of loan there is collection fees of a certain percentage of your loan from sometimes 18-25 percent. that's thousands. also interest rates may be high and it collects DAILY! THAT'S THE $1000 DIFFERNCE!

and fourth to that creditors better realize this bull crap. pioneer is FEDERAL backed, not like credit cards or that crap. it goes right through the dept of education so dont dis the creditors there just doing there job trying to pay there bills like you who aren't paying yours
 26th of Sep, 2010 by   Lovels90 -2 Votes
oh and fifth they are valid just see

www.loanlocator.com/ to find your loans
https://www.pioneercreditrecovery.com/ for the company website
 26th of Sep, 2010 by   Lovels90 -1 Votes
or type it in on wikipedia for god sakes
 8th of Oct, 2010 by   Drunk Kal-El +1 Votes
The Higher Education Act and the rehabilitation program DO NOT require a down payment. Learn your facts about your rights before talking to a creditor. Be polite, but firm. Read the statutes pertaining to Fair Debt Collection practices and ask for "Reasonable and Affordable" payments. Above all, remember that you owe this money and you are responsible for it. That doesn't mean they can screw you, though, and they will try to as all the money they collect from you goes to the collection agency while you are in default. They came at me with a $2500 down payment and $250 a month...I informed them (actually read the Loan Rehabilitation section of the HE Act to the girl) that I was not required to pay a down payment and I could not afford that payment, she tried to say that that was standard for their company, blah, blah, I continued to be firm, she said she's "talk to her supervisor" (i.e.: put me on hold for 5 mins) and came back with no down payment and $132 a month. This can be done. Do the rehab, but have your ducks in a row before you call. Once the 9 mos is up, the CA is required to turn your loan back over to your lender (or the Fed will step in and take it) the ding on your credit report will be expunged and you can set up a payment plan with your lender. DO NOT MISS A PAYMENT DURING THE 9 MOS! YOU WILL BE GARNISHED! Then you will have to pay 9 mos of rehab along with 15% of your weekly income and getting that garnishment taken away is a pain in the a$$...hope this helps...
 22nd of Oct, 2010 by   bobby1888 +1 Votes
PCR are debt collectors. The differences is your loans are due to interest and penalities. When a new agency takes over the loan they take on a 25% penalty. So you can imagine if a few agencies have had your loan how the balance goes up so much. When you talk with them ask them and you will learn this. Just as with the rehab program ask the questions and you will receive answers if the individual collector doesn't know the answer ask to speak with the supervisor but I will guarantee they will have an answer. The problem most debtors make is that get all defensive, don't ask any questions, and then wonder why they owe money or are being garnished. The reahab plan is there to help you get out of default and they have to take so much of a minium payment for it to qualify. You can't pay them less in a month than your interest and penalties are becuae then you are not making progress. Plus, remember you are the one who borrowed the money, not them so excuse them if they don;t like paying for your schooling with their tax money.
 23rd of Nov, 2010 by   bigswole 0 Votes
I was contacted by them and i went to collegeeducation.com. They took over my loan after i paid them 750 of course. They are nice and understand the bullshit with PCR and there fees. I dont mind paying back my loan and its the right thing to do. What i dont want is to pay some other company that i never agreed to pay in the first place. A huge portion of my payment was going to PCR so how the hell do you get off the treadmill????? I can pay the 350 monthly payment...just make it to my student loan not those crooks
 27th of Nov, 2010 by   k1a2t3e4 -1 Votes
Let me tell you dear, they are allowed to call 4 times a day on any phone number, relatives, your job etc. since you are in debt with your loan, you are in the highest level of default, the gov does not care how much you make unfortunately and the rehab program is actually meant to HELP you. that program wipes your credit score clean, after the 6th payment you are eligible for financial aid and going back to school, your interest that collects daily by the fed. gov. (not pioneer credit) will then be yearly interest, you are funded to a new lender after your 9 payments and then have 9 to 30 years to pay back the rest of the loan based on your income, you will not be garnished nor called about your loan will several other benefits. ( and the calling is not harassing). also unfortunately when you have an argument, less than 1 % are eligible and the complaint is legit, and you are still responsible for paying. at that amount of 96 you are asked to pay for nine months is a lot less than you would be garnished for, which if you make about 1000 a month they would take 15%, that is about 150 a month involuntarily until the entire loan is paid off. not a small amount. there is then a small balance left after garnishment to collect interest and down the road you will have a large student loan back in your face that you will then have to pay off. if you cant read about pioneer credit recovery i would recommend to Google it or whichever you choose, the site is open for anyone to read and before you try to complain about pioneer credit RECOVERY and having to pay now you know the facts of why you say you are being harassed to pay. you are complaining about a company trying to help you when they don't have to. i would call and look into that program and consider yourself lucky to be "harassed" instead of garnished.
 27th of Nov, 2010 by   k1a2t3e4 -2 Votes
and for god sakes if you people would put as much effort into paying your bills as you did complaining about it and trying to get out of it maybe you wouldn't be called in the first place. lovels90 is right. they are educated people and federal backed. really you are just wasting time hanging up and yelling about it. they are offering you help. they even have different programs for different people. so. why don't you all pay back what you were given in the 1st place. they are 100 % legit, there is no getting away with it, and your in federal debt... not complicated math
 15th of Dec, 2010 by   IrishJohn143 +1 Votes
They think they "got the right guy" and I've tried to convice them that I am not the one they are looking for. I have never had a student loan or any other type of debt other than a mortgage. I refuse to verify the last four of my social or my birthdate. That's none of their business.

I guess that I can play their game as long as they want.

Identity Theft Shield