logo

Pimsleur Approach

Posted: 2012-03-19 by    Erik2012

Scam

Pimsleur Approach
I ordered a $9.95 set of computer language disks. Later, Pimsleur Approach sent high cost additional materials with a return or pay requirement. I never wanted any of these further materials. Their methods are a scam to get repeated credit card billings. I have turned the issue over to my credit card supplier.
Comments United States Unauthorized Charges
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

25th of Jun, 2011 by   Nope101 0 Votes
Thought I only owed 1 small payment and just got a letter for money I owe and had no idea about not happy
 15th of Mar, 2012 by   squalid 0 Votes
I ordered an introductory CD for $9.95 then they sent me a huge box of lesson CDs that I did not order and charged me $65.00 for them. I called them to resolve the matter and they refused to refund me. The rep on the phone kept trying to sell me more discs. I had to get a new banking card so they would stop charging me.
 27th of Jul, 2012 by   RayBD 0 Votes
I did as above and after a short time I received that "wonderful" second unordered package. The paperwork in the package showed that it was a free trial, but not how long the trial was. So I started listening to the "new" set of CDs. The first 4 were identical to the 4 purchased for $9.99. So on the the 5th thru 16th. when I go to CD #16. It said that it was to go along with the reading materiel provided either in paper form or PDF. Well the CD did not include include a PDF file so I dug into the box that the CD's originally came in and did not find the reading material, but did find a document that explained that this was a 30-day trial and I would be charged four payments of $64 against the credit card used for the original $9.99 purchase. And by now my 30-days were about up. Nowhere in the documentation did it have directions on how to return the package other than a warehouse address where the package came from. I finally found their web site and an 800 number to call and got instructions for shipping it back and getting off their mailing list. Of course the return shipment (UPS at about $15.00) was out of my pocket). They definitely lie when they say they have a way to learn a language in 10-days if they feel they need to keep sending you materiel for which they will charge $1, 064 (4 payments of $64 for each of 4 levels of lessons). The initial $9.99 is just so they can get your credit card information. DON'T DO IT. Go to your local public library and see what they have available.
 26th of Nov, 2012 by   Barelybipedal +1 Votes
Same Company and "Quick & Simple - Spanish - CDs" for $9.95 billed to my CC. Then a few weeks later I received an un-ordered/unrequested "Spanish 1-Gold Course CD" as a "free trial". To find that out I had to open the outer shipping box to find out what was inside but I left the product untouched, unopened, and un-accessed.
I immediately contacted my CC and requested the number be changed as the old number was in the hands of a business who had sent me unrequested material and might follow that up with making unauthorized charge(s) as well.
I also blocked the company's email address as anything they have to say about this is meaningless to me and a waste of my time.
I received an unsigned and undated letter in the mail from "the company" stating that "A payment for your audio cd purchase is past due", that they tried to bill my CC, and the "payment was unsuccessful".
I composed and sent an email to the "customercare" address listed in the letter but with a twist:. I included a "tracking cookie" from an email tracking service which would inform me when/if they actually opened/read the email. As of this date they haven't even opened it. Even the "communications channel " to the company is invalid.
Changing my CC number put a halt to their shenanigans so far. If they choose to continue along these lines then there'll be a video on Youtube showing just how I chose to approach the "Pimsleur Approach":
I'll destroy their "product" in front of witnesses to show I "reaped no gain" and their scam will "go viral". Someone's gonna 'splain their actions in front of a judge. ^__^
 11th of Dec, 2012 by   Giorgio C 0 Votes
The $9.95 leaders are a way to get you into the course which cost $64.00 X 4 (billed monthly) for each course received. In my case I received Spanish I and II which cost $512.00.

I returned Spanish III to the address provided; however, I was told that they never received it back and that they would need to do an inquiry before they would credit my account (which they did).

I was surprised to get Spanish IV the following month, I called them and told the agent that I no longer wanted the courses and was instructed to ship it back USPS via media mail, which I did.

When my December statement reflected a $64.00 charge I called them to find out why I was being charged for advanced course. It appeared they never received Course IV, therefore I was responsible.

I do tons of internet business and my clients always receive my shipments (I have a 100% feedback on ebay over a course of 8 years). It's truly remarkable that both courses were lost in the mail and that I am responsible to pay for course IV as I do not have any proof to support my claim.

Not sure who works in their receiving dept; however, be sure to get a tracking number if you are going to send anything back to them.

I HAVE NO COURSE, OUT $256; NO SMALL CHANGE NO MATTER WHAT LANGUAGE YOU ARE SPEAKING!!!
 19th of Dec, 2012 by   bchicago24 0 Votes
I ordered the $9.95 Greek beginner course and a few months later I get more courses with no bill! I thought it was part of the promotion since it said on the bill I owe nothing. I then got a letter a few months later saying that I need to pay $256.00!!!

I called customer service the moment I received the letter and the supervisor said that there was nothing they can do because it is outside of the 30 day window to return. I tried to explain to them that I didn't order anything else. The supervisor said that I did it was in smaller font on the screen. SCAM!!! This was a horrible experience. The supervisor wouldn't do anything to help me even though this was the first correspondence I have received from them. This was a horrible mistake.

Please take it from me and do not purchase anything from this company! They do not care about their customers and will not help with something is wrong.
 19th of Dec, 2012 by   RarelyComplain 0 Votes
You ...and at least a dozen others. Pimsleur and almost all gyms want your credit card number and thanks to lawyers, they will keep what they claim you owe regardless. You been had just like all these 20 somethings that give a gym their credit card. Consider it a lesson learned and contact the credit card company (or bank) and begin to block any further posts from the company. Its a start...but believe me, it may not be the end of it. Watch for more shipments. And more charges. Sorry to say, you opened a Pandoras box. Want to learn a new language? Take a class at a local college.
 5th of Jan, 2013 by   Kat Claws 0 Votes
Their Website should not be allowed to post. I too was wronged by them and I read the fine print, thank you. I was also lied to about them sending me a shipping label to return the product. How can people like the Pimsleur employees live with themselves. I hope they each personally experience what they've done to others X4!!!
 19th of Feb, 2013 by   Ingride 0 Votes
In September 2012 I fell for this scam and purchased the $9.95 CD. Two weeks later a larger package arrived from the same company. I called them and asked what was this about. They replied (the guys from www.pimsleurapproach.com) that it is a 30 day trial and so I should try it and if I don't like it I can return it. I replied that I am really not interested, I just bought the CD for $9.95 and that was all I wanted. After much arguments the person gave in and sent me a return authorization by email. Two days later I returned the package (imagine I had to pay for usps shipping for something I never ordered!). Now, February 2013, I receive a pink envelope from someone named Kelly Heart (I figured after I opened the envelope from the same address as the Pimsleur co. ) Inside, a warning or rather a threat how they will send me to collections because they couldn't collect the $264 from my credit card for all these past months (!!!) and how I owed them this amount of money, etc.
Needless to say how I felt. I called the company (by the way, it doesn't matter it states Internet LLC, it is the same company as Pimsleur approach, they are all in the same game, the same scam, so please, do not believe for a second that this is an honest business and that some other parties are responsible). On the phone I explained how 5 months ago I returned their package, etc, only to find out that they have already sent me to a collection agency and this Kelly Heart is nothing but the name of their collection agency!!!
I was so upset that I didn't want to speak any further, the guy asked me if I had proof that I returned their package!!!
Next day, luckily a Saturday, I spent it all looking for a receipt and a tracking number from last year. It literally took me the whole day to look through all my paperwork, and yes, I did find both, receipt and tracking number which I verified again on line to confirm that they received the package only two days after!!!
Now, I am debating how to proceed. I read a lot on line about this scam and I feel someone needs to do something to stop these people and their scam. Also, I don't know at this time if my credit score has been damaged, I need to find out as I have been working really hard for the last year to increase my score.
Any suggestions are welcome and again, please be aware of this BIG SCAM!!!
 28th of Feb, 2013 by   th!sman 0 Votes
Freeze your credit report.

Debt collectors push you around if they sniff you don't know their game or more aptly your legal rights. So before you engage them to make any arrangement Google these and become an informed consumer, it will save you potential trouble in the future.
1-what to do when you are contacted by a collections agency.
2-your rights under federal laws FDCPA and FCRA
3-Validation of debt (VOD), cease and desist (C&D), CMRRR
4-Your state's Statute of Limitations (SOL) on debt.
5-post your questions at debtorboards dot com if things get thick
6-Settlement Offer Letter - very important don't pay anything without it.
-If your state's SOL is expired the debt is noncollectable, period! That's why you
-Never ever accept/agree/acknowledge you owe/own a debt. Per Federal law first demand a VOD. Use CMRRR (you can call but not recommended. Be sure to record the call)
-VOD must be the original document with your signature on it, not a letterhead stating some amounts owed.
-NEVER EVER confirm your your personal info. Tell them to mail whatever to the address on file.
-if you legitimately owe a debt don't pay anything without a settlement offer letter.
-mail checks with tracking No. or signature required, no electronic access to your bank ac. you will be cleaned out. Keep records for life.
TOO MANY CALLS, CALLS TO FRIENDS, WORK ETC
-Send a C&D by CMRRR stating when, frequency and how they will contact you.
-If you talk to a CA ALWAYS write down immediately, who called, where from, said what, why, when, what, i.e. everything. This is acceptable evidence in court.
-If CA violate your rights each infraction is worth $1000 to you. Thus, use CMRRR and/or record all calls ->evidence is $$$ for you. No lawyer?, sue pro se, see #5 above
 28th of Feb, 2013 by   th!sman 0 Votes
15th of Jul, 2011 by manthissitesucks

DEBT COLLECTION HARASSMENT
A federal law known as the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act limits what debt collectors can do to harass you about debts. In most states, like Missouri, the state laws do not provide much protection against harassment. However, the federal law applies to all debt collectors, including attorneys.
The law applies only to "debt collectors." This means that the person calling you is collecting the debt that you owe to someone else. If the XYZ Company calls you directly to collect their debt, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act does not apply to them. However, if the XYZ Company hires a debt collection agency to collect the debts, the law does apply to the debt collection agency.
Debt collector contacts
A debt collector may contact you over the telephone, by mail, in person, or by fax. The debt collector cannot call you at unreasonable times or places. Typically, this means that they should not call you before 8:00 a.m. in the morning or after 9:00 p.m. at night unless you agree to let them call you at those hours. A debt collector may call you at work unless you let them know that their employer disapproves of this. If you do get contacted at work, immediately notify the debt collector if your employer prohibits this.
Stopping debt collection contacts
You can request that the collector stop contacting you. You should do this by writing a letter to the debt collection agency in addition to telling them over the telephone. Be sure to keep a copy of the letter for your own records. When the debt collection agency receives the letter, they should not contact you again except to tell you if they are going to take specific action concerning the debt.
Debt collector contacts with other people
The debt collector may contact other people such as friends, relatives, or neighbors to find out information about where you live and work. Normally they can only contact these people once. In most cases, they are not allowed to tell these people about your debt, but only obtain information about your address and work.
If an attorney represents you on this debt, notify the debt collector of your attorney's name, address and phone number. The debt collector should then contact only the attorney.
What the debt collector must tell you
A debt collector may contact you initially by telephone. If they do, they are required to send you a written notice within five days telling you the amount of the debt you owe, the name of the creditor that you owe the money to, and what action you should take if you do not owe the money.
Disputing the debt
If you do not owe all or part of the money that is being collected, you can request that the debt collector verify the debt. For example, if you signed a loan agreement, you can request that they send you a copy of this document. If you dispute the debt, you should notify the debt collector in writing within 30 days after you are first contacted by the collection agency. You should write them a letter explaining why you do not owe the money and requesting that they verify the debt. During the 30-day period after you are first contacted, the collection agency should not contact you again until they provide you proof of the debt.
Prohibited Harassment
Debt collectors can call you and request that you pay the debt. However, they cannot harass you or abuse you. These are the types of things that they should not do:
Use obscene or profane language.
Make repeated frequent calls to annoy you.
Telephone you without identifying themselves.
Use threats of violence or harm against you.
Threaten to arrest you if you do not pay the debt.
Threaten to take action such as lawsuits, garnishments, or taking your property unless the collector intends to do so and it is legal. (Creditors must usually take you to court and get a court "judgment" against you before they are able to garnish your wages in Missouri.)
Debt collectors cannot make false statements about themselves or the debts. They cannot misrepresent:
they are government officials;
that you have committed a crime;
that they work for the "credit bureau";
that the papers you received are legal summonses
or legal papers, if they are not;
the amount of your debt; or
that there is an attorney involved, if there is not.
Debt collectors are also prohibited from:
depositing a post-dated check before it is due;
threatening to take your property unless it is legal to do so;
contacting you by postcard.
Payments on multiple debts
If you owe more than one debt to the same collector, you can specify the debt you are paying. If you clearly indicate that you are paying one account, the debt collector should apply the payment to the account you request. You should always keep records of your payments and correspondence with any debt collector.
What if the debt collector has violated the law?
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act gives you a right to sue in state or federal court within one year from the violation. If you win, you can recover damages for your loss, court costs, and attorney's fees. Remember that the one-year period runs from the date the debt collector violated the law. You should act promptly to contact an attorney if you believe a debt collector has violated the law. If you fail to file your suit within one year of the violation, you lose your right to do so.
You can also notify the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) of violations. They cannot file lawsuits on your behalf, but they can investigate your complaints. Their address is: Consumer Response Center, Federal Trade Commission, Washington, D.C. 20580. You can also file a complaint through the Internet.
What should I do to prove my claim?
You should always keep copies of everything that the debt collection agency sends you. Use a file folder or large envelope and keep all of your letters together. Always keep copies of everything that you send to them.
When they call you, be sure to jot down notes of the exact words they used while talking to you on the telephone. Right after you hang up, write a summary of everything they told you, and what you told them. Note the date and time they called you. Be sure to write down their names and telephone numbers and the company they are with.
Get help
If you believe you have been harassed by any debt collector, you should contact an attorney for specific legal advice on your problem. If you are elderly, or have low income, please call Legal Aid of Western Missouri for further information or advice.
Good luck to you!
 19th of Mar, 2013 by   jopeta 0 Votes
The same thing happened to me as the first post. Then when I call, they tell me it's included in the information. Not... I ask to speak to a manager because I didn't feel as though I should pay the $6.00 return fee. I also expressed I would go to the bank for the card and lodge a complaint. So the operator comes back on the line and is going to send me a UPS return label. I'm not sure if I got this through Groupon or another like Groupon but I am going to lodge a complaint with them as well. The operator was so nice, I told her she is too nice to work for a company like that. Never again!!!
 20th of Mar, 2013 by   Kodydog 0 Votes
Same thing happened to me. I purchased the $9.95 thing in January thinking that was "it". I went on vacation and when i returned I found a big black box with lots of CD in it from this Pimsleur company. I couldn't understand this. It didn't seem to me that it could be connected to the $9.95 purchase Imade. I oopened my AX bill and found a charge for $64.00. I called the 800 number and got the most arrogant woman on the phone. She REFUSED to cancel the order (which I never placed) or tell me where I can return it. She said it was the "Gold" edition and I didn't return it in 30 days so the billing has begun and she won't stop it. I was beside myself. I was in Florida for 6 weeks while this "Gold" edition sat at the post office. I told her I WOULD NOT pay for one more charge to my account. She said, "Sorry, it's already 'in the system'". After repeated attempts to stop this, I hung up. I looked at the complaints onthe internet about this company. Then called American Express who said they will block this merchant from charging anything to me again.
 30th of Jul, 2013 by   viv2 0 Votes
Pimsleur on line advertising is very deceptive. What a deal $9.95 includes shipping right? Wrong ! When you order you are actually agreeing to receive many language courses They list 60 different languages! They keep billing you $64.00 a month until you send the CDs back and ask them to stop sending languages. They send out discs and you have a limited time to return them. They bill you $265.95 for that language in ongoing monthly installments. It is an outlandish unbelievable scam. I can't believe they are allowed to continue this public deception. Fraud, Swindling, racketeering come to mind.
 30th of Aug, 2013 by   upset225 0 Votes
Thank you people above for warning about this scam by Pimsleur. You saved me a big headache from getting involved with them. I LOVE the interent!!
 30th of Aug, 2013 by   upset225 0 Votes
Thank you so much people for warning me about this scam before I got involved with Pimsleur. They advertise on facebook and I am going to everybody there about them. I always check out and look complaints about companies before doing business with them. Did this with Fingerhut; they are bad news too. I LOVE the interenet!!

Shop on Small Business Saturday