logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
rhb bank malaysia
terrible customer and phone service
2. (3 mins ago)
Clarks Shoes
Poor customer service
3. (9 mins ago)
Search and Rescue (S&R) Bloodhounds
Does not care about dogs after they are sold, Breeds dogs with genetic issues and gives "guarantee" that is not upheld
4. (11 mins ago)
Unsolicited calls

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Penny Talk, Silver Spring, Maryland Complaints & Reviews - Fake and Customer Service Sucks

Penny Talk Contacts & Informations

Penny Talk

Posted:    De-Anna

Fake and Customer Service Sucks

Penny Talk
Silver Spring, Maryland
Phone: 2022771759
I just opened an account with penny talk. so I could call home to Ireland for cheaper. Sounded like a great hook up. Set up the account for $25.00 and I got a message on the screen saying that my account had $3.00 on it while they check and see if my credit card was ligit. No probs there on my part. My credit cards are good.Then I rang home. Total charge to my account by the end of the call was $1.31 which was fantastic I thought. The next day when I go online to check and see if the $25.00 was on my account I had a -$1.31 saying that my address didn't match what my credit card had on file. At first ?I thought maybe I did enter the wrong digits but then again my call wouldnt have gone through. I'm still waiting for a customer service person to call me but after reading other comments online I guess I can wave good bye to cheap calls to Ireland, and will probably end up canceling my Amex just to be on the safe side...So all in all I'm already not happy with Penny Talk. Now it just seems like its fake!!!
Comments United States Other
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

8th of Dec, 2008 by   rcsly -1 Votes
Sorry to hear your complaint. I reffer Penny Talk to many of my traveling companions because it worked well with me. I am considering it for my full time long distance method.
 15th of Dec, 2008 by   pabloinbama -2 Votes
I signed up for the $25 calling card and after 3 days I was still waiting for my account to be activated. I received an email stating my account was disabled due to problems with my billing address. I called customer service to have it fixed. Finally, after the 3rd call to customer service and still no active account, I closed the account. The people were nice and polite on the phone but the customer service leaves much to be desired.
 28th of Feb, 2009 by   mewo -2 Votes
as with any company there are sometimes problems with billing. it's called a mistake. those things happen, and pennytalk happes to save many people hundreds of thousands of dollars. sorry you people are so spoiled by society today you forgot to have a little thing called patience. by the way you calling pennytalk "fake" is crap and hopefully you can be sued for defimation of character!
 5th of Mar, 2009 by   PTBeware 0 Votes
I purchased a PennyTalk calling card at my local 7-11 store.When my minutes were up I went online to recharge using a Visa CC.I did not use the Auto-Recharge feature online.After my intial two adding funds online, PennyTalk automatically billed my Visa card 100.oo today.I was astonished and very mad.I telephoned the very poor connection customer service line.Finally after being on hold for nearly 10 minutes they credited my Visa card the 100.oo charge.I then sent them a fax and an email to totally delete my acccount.Beware of any credit card info that you put online.It is far better to purchase the cards and not go online to add the funds.As of today they have not responded to my email and my fax to delete my account information.
 5th of Mar, 2009 by   PTBeware +3 Votes
mewo must be employed by PennyTalk.She should try them out sometime.
 8th of Mar, 2009 by   angie +1 Votes
I just saw the commerical for penny talk & I'm happy i read your comments. No penny talk for me, friends of family members. A company with bad customer Service will always leave a bad taste in people mouth. Bad news always travels faster than good news. Again I thank you guys for you honest comments.
 12th of Apr, 2009 by   jargong 0 Votes
I just saw a Penny Talk commercial and am grateful for your comments. I will not consider this long distance option. Thank you all.
 13th of Apr, 2009 by   richmond 0 Votes
I was just about to bye pennytalk minutes online, but thanks to your comments will not. Thank you for writing these feedbacks!
 4th of May, 2009 by   Angelica Vidal 0 Votes
Because their system fell, Verizon picked up my call and I got charged $38.00 for a call to Chile for 8 minutes. They didn't want to help me out, didn't pay for the call, this company sucks, their system fails and they have terrible customer service.
 29th of May, 2009 by   dani 0 Votes
I paid $25 for a new account, and made one call totalling about $3. When I try to make another call, the automated voice on phone tells me there is no money in my account. My account on the web shows a remaining balance of $22. The customer service told me that my account indeed has a balance and he will fix it. It has been weeks and they did nothing. What a fraud!
 22nd of Jul, 2009 by   hancod 0 Votes
I am a legit user of pennytalk's services and have been very happy. I use it to call from the states to Canada and it saves me PLENTY every month. No problems so far, hope it stays that way.
 5th of Aug, 2009 by   Traveler46 +1 Votes
I've been using PTfor at least 4 years now. The problems I've always has was that every time I made a call and it was not answered, I still got charged for it. I immediately called Customer Service and they always credited my minutes back. Yes, I did have to wait on line several minutes but I rather wait that having to pay an expensive calling card or any phone program. I've never been over-charged. Customer service is not that great, especially because it is always ansered somewhere overseas. I will continue to use it because every time I have had an emergency (no matter where I am) it helps a lot!!
 21st of Nov, 2009 by   mumar 0 Votes
i signed up and put $20.00 on. when my balance got to $4.80 i could not make anymore calls till i put more money on my acct. called customer service to see why i could not use the rest of my balance, the answer i got was thats our policy. so i am out of $4.80. that lets me know they are a rip off, thiefs.
 21st of Nov, 2009 by   mumar 0 Votes
i signed up and put $20 on mt acct. when my balance got to $4.80 i colud no longer make a call. called customer service to ask why i coul not use the rest of the balance, the answer i got was that was there policy.
so that lets me know they are a rip off, thiefs. stay away form pennytalk.
 11th of Dec, 2009 by   mojavegirl 0 Votes
I have been using PT fro a. 4 years. Always for calls from the US to Italy. I talk a lot. 2 times week for 40 min/1hr with my mom. After the initial trouble with signing (cc card address, etc etc) things worked fine so that I decided for the automatic recharge. Since then I used custom office once, no more. So far no surprised on my account. I would say this is fine. Anyway, thanks for the comments...and I will double check more.
 14th of Jan, 2010 by   TmSC 0 Votes
I started to use Pennytalk very early on, I opened my first account in 1992, I never had to use customer service... so far, so good.
My biggest complain early on was the quality of the tone and the drop lines. Today is like light years ahead, still no perfect.
Considering that in 1992 the cost per minute to call Europe via my normal phone company was more than a dollar a minute, I decided my buddies in Europe could live with broken calls from time to time and some double voices, but that si history. Since the new technology was implemented, it has been a bliss.
I am not sure if PT is for everybody, if you talk more than 30 times a month for around 40 minutes each call, I will not be using it. One can get better rates with fixed international rates some as low as $30 per month.
Overall, I refer people to the service specially if they plan to call a couple of times a week. I can say that I have saved thousands in calls that I "had" to make and I called than I should because PT was so cheap!!!
 30th of Jan, 2010 by   Hailesgirl 0 Votes
Last week, and for the first time, I bought a $10 Pennytalk card at one of my local supermarket chains. It is working great for my calls to my boyfriend who is in The Netherlands. He calls me most of the time, but for when I need to call him, this is a great solution. Now that I know of the credit card-related problems reported here, I will just buy more cards when I need to and not try to recharge the card I bought.

I have experienced no problems whatsoever with my $10 investment in this one card but I will definitely avoid giving them my credit card information, just in case!.
 3rd of Feb, 2010 by   labtech 0 Votes
I was charged 25.00 on my checking account and did not even know who pennytalk is-I called and they said they would credit my money back-but the fact remains where did they get my account info???
 8th of Feb, 2010 by   Roy in Troy 0 Votes
I have been very happy with PennyTalk over the past year. Now, in the past few days I'm about to look for another International carrier. Customer service is not there, they answer the phone, but that's about it...never clear up a connection problem.

Too bad, previous to this I was a very happy customer...maybe there were purchased by someone else..?????
 13th of Feb, 2010 by   Yerk 0 Votes
Only complaint so far is the same as Traveler46: that $0.50/call charge...whether it gets picked up on the other end or not. Still it seems cheaper than most, but I'm looking for an alternative asap; just haven't found one yet. As with all these "deals" the devils in the details.

Auto Repair Scam (Funny)