PC Richard & Son

Posted:

Everybody knows extended warranties are a scam. Here's more proof:

Paramus, New Jersey
Everybody knows extended warranties are a scam. Here's more proof:

Our landlord installed a small Hotpoint stove when we moved in ($350). Worked okay for 3 years we've been here, then the other day the oven decided to go full blast on the broiler and not turn off, a pretty dangerous situation. Luckily, I know enough to turn off the gas and unplug it.

My landlady had purchased the extended warranty ($100), so we thought, great, and called the next day for service. The earliest appointment was next Thursday.

They only give you a four hour window (before noon, after noon), and call you in the morning to tell you which you get, so you effectively have to stay home the whole day from work. I'm lucky and can work from home. On Thursday, they called the landlady and said that the repair person was sick and would not come by and one would come by the following Tuesday. This was unacceptable, so I called them back and they said the original repair had been set with the GE repair, and they would expedite it by using their own. The repair guy would be by the next day (Friday).

Friday, the repair guy comes by, spend five minutes and says he needs parts. So, these guys don't actually come to fix anything, rather they are just there to assess the problem. I'm told it will take 5-to-7 days for the part. Again, this is unsatisfactory. I called and am told that they will 'expedite' it.

Week 1 summary: 1 missed repair, 1 unprepared repair person, 2 very nice customer service reps.

5 days later (next Friday), I got a call and am told that the part is in, and that the soonest they can set a repair is for Tuesday, again, no specified time.

Week 2 summary: 1 part arrives, 0 fixed stoves, 0 repair persons.

Tuesday rolls around, no call. I finally called the repair center and am told that no repair is scheduled. I say that's not possible. I spoke to someone on Friday, scheduled and took the day off. After some time on hold, the representative came back and told me that what had happened was that the 'part' was actually 'parts' and they weren't all in and that the repair person had cancelled the appointment in the AM, not having the correct parts, but had failed to notify me. I'm told they don't know when the part will be in.

(By the way, my landlady is being very helpful, has offered to let me come down and use her stove, got me an electric tea kettle, and her super-duper electric roaster oven/griddle combo she's never used).

I have a business call and when it's done. I told her the situation and she called them back and they finally say the part will be here Tuesday.

Tally so far:
3 Weeks without stove
2 No-Shows from repair persons
4 Days home from work (in 3 weeks)
5 Very nice reps.

Factor in the cost of eating out for 3 weeks and it's clear that you should never spend one cent on PC Richards extended warranty. Put the money toward a better stove up front, or pocket it, and put it on a new one 3 years down the line.

I would like to point out that everybody was very nice and judging by the accents, I'm guessing very local. I can't say enough about how everybody seemed to want to help me, there just doesn't seem to be any process in place for accomplishing it.

‚Äč
Complaint comments Comments (614) Complaint country United States Complaint category Consumer Electronics

Comments

22nd of May, 2011 by    0 Votes

PC Richard & Son - I am VERY disappointed in PC Richard and I will NEVER EVER EVER make any purchase their again
P C Richard & Son
pcrichard.com

I purchased a washing machine and a refrigerator last July at PC Richards. I thought they were a reputable company I WAS WRONG. My washing machine was a GE Profile and I hated it from the first load. It left water in the tub and I have to keep hitting spin spin spin. It is supposed to be a super capacity-what a laugh that is because I can't wash more than 4 items at a time or I'm left with about 2 inches of water.
I called them after I did the first load and I asked if I could return it and purchase a more expensive machine because this one didn't wash clothes properly. I was told once its in my house its mine. Well, we can't try machines out in the stores to see how they work. This one is the WORST machine I have EVER purchased. I have never had a problem with an appliance before and this was such a disasterous experience I tell EVERYONE I KNOW.

Since I have to wash clothes and can't purchase new clothes each day and throw the old ones out I have to go to the laundromat. I had a repairman come and he had to replace a lot of parts. He told me to call them and tell them to take it back. I tried again. I was told if it CAN'T be fixed. Well, EVERYTHING can be fixed if you replace all the parts.

The machine still didn't work right. I am VERY disappointed in PC Richard and I will NEVER EVER EVER make any purchase their again. This isn't something I can just get over, if I try to use my machine and I have to wash 4 items at a time its fine. But that isn't life. I don't have an hour for each 4 items to wash and I still have to hit spin spin spin. This burns me because I have to go drag my clothes to the laundromat each week.

Since I deal with it each time I do laundry I tell everyone EVERYONE! Frustrating isn't even the word, I am totally disappointed in PC Richards service, treatment of a customer, and again will NEVER shop there for anything else. I will also never buy a GE appliance again. I used to go to PC Richards for everything, but I never had a problem with an appliance. This was an eyeopening experience. One I learned from and one I tell everyone about. The machine is supposed to be a water saver too, I don't know how it can be since it takes me much more water to wash clothes since I can only wash 4 items at a time. To top it all off if I wash towels I get water all over my laundry room floor. Never can I wash towels at home they all always have to go to the laundromat.

I'm totally disgusted with this machine and with the service I received at PC Richard. They lost me as a consumer.
 1st of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
This situation was brought to our attention via a different channel and made right by our customer service department.
 4th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes

PC Richard & Son - unable to cook for my family
pc richard & son
Phone: 1-201 262-7676
pcrichard.com

I own a Kitchenaid gas range that is currently under warranty with P.C. Richard. Mid April. I was getting an error meessage when I tried to use the self clean option. The stove top and oven were working perfedtly. P.C. Richard sent a technician to fix this problem. When the technician was done examing the appliance he stated that the oven was no longer working. Since this time I have had 5 visits to my home from various repair technicians, Each one ordering more parts and telling me its a different problem.
I have called various times and am told that the only thing they can do is expedite the parts.My last visit was April 20. Its very unfortunate that I may not have a range to Easter.I have now been unable to cook for my family since May18th.
 20th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes

PC Richard & Son - I will never make a purchase from PC ever again! Please take your business elsewhere!

Full Review
Horrible experience! Purchased a new refrigerator from them, all went fine until after a tech call. The refrigerator began making knocking noises (very loud) within days. I called for service and a very nice technician came out and advised me that the sealed system was leaking in more than one spot and the unit should be replaced. Thus began my journey into confusion and mismanagement with PC. Daily emails telling me I would be having a service call, which I never received, calls to the service department telling me to call the next day (for several days), service people telling me they would "definitely" call me back, who did not. I was finally able to get help through the kindness of one gentlemen, who was finally able to assure me the refrigerator would be replaced (although I still have not had the new one delivered as of yet--so we shall see), only to receive a call the next day telling me my part was in and a tech would be out to "repair the refrigerator" All of this for a refrigerator that is now less than 4 weeks in my home! Ugh! I will never make a purchase from PC ever again! Please take your business elsewhere!

Recommended:

What product did you purchase or try to purchase? Refrigerator
 27th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes

PC Richard & Son - PC RICHARDS ARE UNRELIABLE AND SHOULD NOT BE IN BUSINESS
pcrichard.com

You were reading a complaint about PC Richards.

Filing a new complaint about
I am pregnant...and have no food in my refrigerator over a MONTH. I have a question how does a brand new fridge stop working only six months into the purchase? Every time they send someone to "fix" it the problem still persist. I need a working fridge, I have no time to be wasting playing games with PC Richards and their horrible technicians. Every time we call for service is weeks apart that they schedule a person to diagnose the problem then they have to come back again another week to fix it...and that has been the cycle over a freaking month now...WTF!! Where the *** is my NEW fridge..they are selling unreliable appliances to the public and do not want to take responsibility for it. So now Im on their terms on when the *** I can have a working refrigerator and I have a baby on the way...this is unacceptable. Im still waiting for what i thought was a good purchase...DO NOT BUY FROM PC RICHARDS...IM ABOUT TO
 30th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes

PC Richard & Son - I am not gone back to PC Richards- and never will again.
pc richard & son
Phone: 1-201-262-7676
pcrichard.com

I had steered clear from PC Richards after bad experiences years ago but decided to give them another try especially since the store is so close to my home;.

I went in on a Monday and ordered a General Electric freezer (Ice Box)'. This was supposed to be a surprise for my parents from myself and my sister|. The salesman was fine- although appeared to know little about the product, . I scheduled to have it delivered on Thursday morning (today)'. I had to schedule it later than I had wanted because the salesman said they were getting a shipment of the freezer I wanted on Wednesday!. Keep in mind, this needed to be a specific day and time because it was a surprise:. The company called the night before and confirmed the delivery for a "GE Freezer". To my delight, they called a half hour before coming that morning and delivered on time! I thought "This is great! My feelings for PC Richards may have been redeemed!" The delivery guy showed me a paper and a line to sign on, which I did, and left.

As the truck pulled away, I opened up the freezer and realized that the freezer was far smaller than the one I ordered and it was a Frigidaire! I immediately called the delivery men and they said "well you signed the form". Yes, I did, because you showed me the line to sign on and nothing more. The box the freezer came in said "FREEZER", that's all, not "Frigidaire Freezer". I then hung up and called the store. The girl on the phone obviously didn't want to deal with the situation and passed me along to this nasty manager James who acted as if it was MY fault that this happened. He said "On the bill it said Frigidaire" I said "Yes, but the girl called and confirmed for a GE and if you look at how much I paid, you will see that I paid for the larger, GE model!" He then said "Well you shouldn't have accepted it". I didn't know! The delivery men were in and out in seconds and I didn't even get a chance to breathe! The manager then realized that they did make the mistake and proceeded to figure out how to "swap out" the right order for the wrong one. Keep in mind, he was not apologetic AT ALL, he sounded as if he had better things to do. He then said that "the trucks were out for the day and they will have to deliver tomorrow"...the day when I couldn't have it delivered because everyone would be home. I had no choice but to say "Okay fine" and hang up.

I then went out to run errands and happened to pass the store and noticed the truck with the same delivery guys that delivered the freezer outside of the truck just hanging out. So clearly there were trucks available. I then called the salesman George who sold me the freezer and he was very taken back by everything. He put me on hold for five minutes and then proceeded to ask if he could call me back. When he did, he said the earliest they could get the freezer to me would be tomorrow because "all the trucks are out"...no, they're not. He also seemed surprised to hear that the girl confirmed for a GE. Why? That's what I ordered and paid for!

What I believe happened was they did not have the model I needed in the store and quickly had to scramble to find one in time for the second delivery (I'm sure that's what the salesman George did when he had to call me back). They tried to pull a fast one and deliver the wrong freezer hoping I wouldn't say anything. They should have just said that they wouldn't be getting my freezer in time for Thursday and push it back a different day.

What makes me most angry about this whole situation: 1- They never offered to reimburse me for the $50+ shipping charge. 2- They never apologized, they just made it seem like it was my fault and like I was bothering them. 3- They should have gone out of their way to deliver the freezer on the day they had promised, especially given how close my home is to the store (approximately 2 minutes away).

I'm supposed to be getting the freezer tomorrow, although they couldn't tell me what time bracket. Everyone will be home so it will be no surprise. Moral of the experience- I should have trusted my instincts and not gone back to PC Richards- and never will again.
Dear lds8782:

I sincerely apologize for our delivery error with the freezer and the quality of service you received afterward. We would never knowingly deliver the wrong freezer to you and I'm sorry that the way the situation was handled made you believe that. If you wouldn't mind, please e-mail me at social@pcrichard.com with your name, contact number and invoice number and I will work with my team to help rectify the situation and make this right. Please reference this page when you reach out to me. Thank you.

Kind regards,
Allison L.
P.C. Richard & Son
Dear WrongOne1:

I sincerely apologize for the problems you've experienced with your new refrigerator and our repair team. Please contact me via e-mail at social@pcrichard.com with your name, contact number and invoice number so that I can further investigate the problems and view the history of what has been done. My team and I will work with you to make this situation right and make sure you are satisfied. Please reference this page when you e-mail. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Allison L.
P.C. Richard & Son
 8th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes

PC Richard & Son - This company has the worst customer service I have ever seen. BEWARE!!!!
pcrichard.com

P.C. Richards has terribe customer service
PC Richards Complaint

You were reading a complaint about PC Richards.

Filing a new complaint about
Richards called me on Friday to tell me they will call me on Saturday between 8:00-10:00 to tell me the time of delivery. I wait on Sat. until 10:00 no one called. I called the salesman and the office numerous times. The installer finally called me at 12:30 and said cannot install today it is going to rain. He gave me his cell number and he said he would call me awaiting a sunny day. I have been calling him for four days. This company has the worst customer service I have ever seen. BEWARE!!!
 10th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
"Sealed" system leaking that close to purchase is a mfr defect. Try calling the mfr customer support to get a return authorization. Retailers despise having to take back appliances because they are not returnable to the mfrs. Be vigilent here.
 13th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
You have our sincere apologies if the installation was canceled due to weather. It is true that we cannot install an air conditioner in the rain so as not to open a hole in your wall and expose the interior of the house to the elements.

I apologize about the rescheduling issue. The installer should have asked you to call the store. Rescheduling should be done by calling the store, not the installer. The company schedules the installers.
 14th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes

PC Richard & Son - Don't buy appliances products or puchase from PC Richards.
pcrichard.com

Customer service is a joke. They are trained to say "I'm sorry" and keep you on hold. I spent over $4, 000 last year had issues with my stove after 2 days of delivery. Had to call several times and they told me to call the dealer direct. My washer with in 3 years the door fell off as the hindge rusted again, no one could or would help me told me to call Fridigaire again. Bottom line the price of the door which is 3 separate parts and hindge comes to just under the price of the machine. Don't buy and Fridigaire products or puchase from PC Richards. As a customer who spent several thousands of dollars someone should have helped me here.
 14th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
At least you got an "I'm sorry". They called me a liar and accused me of being irrational, after I asked for a refund they previously committed to giving me, due to how badly they messed up with my order. PC Richards in general, and the Paramus NJ store in particular, is the worst. Will NEVER shop there again.
 15th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes

PC Richard & Son - Do not buy appliances from P C Richard & Son.
P C Richard & Son
pcrichard.com

Do not buy appliances from PC Richards, I spent a lot of money buying five appliances, they told me to pick it up the next week, when I when to do it they said they did not have it on stuck. Later, after only two uses, the dryer broke I needed service, had to wait one week, the next Saturday I was the last one. They have communications problems, people lie, they blame each other, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM PC RICHARDS, VERY BAD COMPANY. I also called the corporate office in NY and they were not helpful, they just do not care for the customer.
 23rd of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes

PC Richard & Son - Finding out that it was not needed and that they would replace the product and install. This entire event lasted 10 day and 7 hours of phone time.
p c richard son
pcrichard.com

Purchase $9000.00 of appliances for a new house and would never, never, never, never buy from them again. The Electrolux microwave shorted out (4days old)and the service call was a nightmare. The microwave had a bad component. We are waiting for a replacment (7days) and finding out that-They really suck at the service end of the business. So off we went paying someone to remove the microwave as per the service rep requested us to do. Finding out that it was not needed and that they would replace the product and install. This entire event lasted 10 day and 7 hours of phone time.
 27th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes

PC Richard & Son - entire incident has completely turned me off from this company/. They are not to be trusted;.
pcrichard.com

I purchased a washer & dryer from the Paramus NJ PC Richard. Great price. When they delivered it, they broke the dryer vent cap on the OUTSIDE of my house but neglected to tell me; insread, they completely taped it closed Still don't know why they even had to go out there. Only realzed what happened when it took 3+ hours to dry small load. Immediately complained & Jenny in cust serv essentially called me a liar. Arranged for service to repair it before noon on a saturday. No show so i called &advised my appt was 11:45-3:45 so i still couldn't leave my house or even go in backyard cause I'd never hear the bell. Got another call at 4:45 advising men would arrive shortly. Took almost TWO hours for men to drive from next town (i could have walked the distance in less time!)". Men showed me work order which said work must be done before noon but they were then told NOT to come to me because they overbooked so my job was cancelled! Couldn't do repair cause they didn't have the part; promised to return next day and even called me to advise of his arrival And still never showed up!! I spent a total of 20 hours over 2 days waiting for repair.. Jenny actually had the nerve to call me after repair finally done to confirm". No apologies or explanation for implying I lied or cancelling my appointment/. A few years earlier, I had purchased a fridge with icemaker from the same store for my new house;. Waited all day for delivery - similar situation in that they kepy telling me it would be delivered:. Finally learned that they actually sold my fridge to someone else!! The

entire incident has completely turned me off from this company/. They are not to be trusted;. Go to Lowes.
 28th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes

PC Richard & Son - Now we are very nervous about purchasing an anticipated TV from PC because of this incident.
pcrichard.com

Our "new" Whirlpool Washer just purchased on 7/7/11 from PC Richards, does not fully operate. After our very first wash it stopped after 5 minutes and just kept beeping and beeping and beeping for 20 minutes. The it stopped and shut off. All the manual's remedies were considered and did not work. Then we called Whirlpool. We were very shocked when they told us that our "new" washers serial number was already registered with someone else! Very disappointed in PC. Now we are very nervous about purchasing an anticipated TV from PC because of this incident. Did we get a previously returned washer?
 29th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes

PC Richard & Son - We were very shocked when they told us that our &new& washers serial number was already registered with someone else.
pcrichard.com

Our "new" Whirlpool Washer just purchased on 11/7/10 from PC Richards, does not fully operate. After our very first wash it stopped after 5 minutes and just kept beeping and beeping and beeping for 20 minutes. The it stopped and shut off. All the manual's remedies were considered and did not work. Then we called Whirlpool. We were very shocked when they told us that our "new" washers serial number was already registered with someone else! Very disappointed in PC. Now we are very nervous about purchasing an anticipated TV from PC because of this incident. Did we get a previously returned washer?
 3rd of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes

PC Richard & Son - I would never ever buy something from them again'. buyer beware|. they want your money, but have the worst customer service I have ever seen.
pcrichard.com

I bought a 1200 window air conditioner here, but when it was delivered and installed, it didn't work". the installer called the store and they told him, "it isn't the unit, it must be the power source, " despite the fact another appliance was working using the same plug!. they left the unit half installed with pieces scattered about my tiny house and made me wait days before they could come back'. each visit required a four hour wait, and despite it being their problem, made no effort to apologize, try to make the repeat appointment at my convenience, or even call back!. I was hung up on several times by the store manager James Langford and when I called corporate to complain, they guy on the phone could not have cared less about my time, my frustration, or my happiness!. the service was so bad, I decided to return the unit, but was told Icould not get my money back until the unit was picked up which involved giving up my saturday--the time they gave me was between 2 and 6:. yes, their prices are good, but their service sucks and I would never ever buy something from them again'. buyer beware|. they want your money, but have the worst customer service I have ever seen.
 8th of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes

PC Richard & Son - it was the wrong one i call them and they refuse to come .
pcrichard.com

I bought a washer/dryer at pc richards and son, it was on sale i paid $1175.55 the includes five warranty, payments were made in instalments, because i couldn't afford to make the full payment.I went to pick it up and it they told me it was sold, but they can replace it with the exact one they call another location and they had it, they deliver iton 07/26/11.I was not at home when igot home it was the wrong one i call them and they refuse to come and get it.I am Mad and i can't use it i want what i paid for.

PC Richard & Son Logo PC Richard & Son