logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (20 mins ago)
Hobby King
I did not recieve the product
2. (21 mins ago)
Himalayan Cat Purchase
Barbara Redalia of Tuleburg Cattery
3. (23 mins ago)
Aqua Texas Inc
This is the worst water company I have ever had the displeasure of being forced to use
4. (26 mins ago)
Reliable Credit Servers
Bogus or SCAM
5. (42 mins ago)
ICICI NRI Banking - Money2India
Money2india: read this before you use the service!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Palmer, Reifler & Associates, New York Complaints & Reviews - Threatened to sue if I didn't pay

Palmer, Reifler & Associates Contacts & Informations

Palmer, Reifler & Associates

Posted:    avullo22

Threatened to sue if I didn't pay

Palmer, Reifler & Associates
New York
I had some issues with Officemax and was fired. Everything was resolved and they did not press charges but a month or so later I got a lette in the mail by this company Palmer, Reifler & Associates. They told me they were representing Officemax and they wanted somewhere around $300 or they would take me to court. I was so freaked out and was ready to pay but my husband refused and said it was a scam. He looked them up only to find that they have been sued for fraud. We called them and they fed us a bunch of BS. They even tried calling me. We live in a house slit into 3 apartments. We only have cell phones and neighbor downstairs has a land line. Somehow they got his number and called it looking for me! After I had recieved 3 letters with the amount of money up to $500, my husband called and yelled at them and told them to just go ahead and take us to court. We have not recieved a letter or phone call since. I'm so glad we didn't fall for it. I just hope by posting this that more people can become informed and just ignore thier harassment.
Comments United States Lawyers and Attorneys
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

12th of Feb, 2010 by   lawguru 0 Votes
It sounds like Mica1755 may work for this fraudulent company. He needs to pull his head out of his @#*
 3rd of Mar, 2010 by   taryn17 +1 Votes
I went to a lawyer and he said that they are not allowed to contact u 1st of all because u dont live in Florida and 2nd of all if u tell them to stop contacting...change ur phone number and if they keep calling u take them to court for harassing u
 17th of Jul, 2010 by   venicementor 0 Votes
I received a letter from these people and I had not idea what they were talking about, so following was my response to them, as my husband had been deceased for FIVE years!!!
____________________________________________________
To Whom It May Concern,

Imagine my surprise when I received your letter of a "settlement offer". Upon opening the enclosed letter, addressed to my LATE husband •••••••••••••• I couldn't help but think that you guys are scammers and that you should be ashamed of yourselves. I have therefor reported your company for fraud.

By the way, I am well aware that this letter was addressed to ••••••••••••• on behalf of HOME DEPOT, but as his widow I have the right to open his mail. Of course, this is only because his cremated remains are unable to do so.

I am extremely upset as I don't know what in the world you are implying in this letter. I can only deduct from the information and your tone of said letter, that Home Depot is requesting "restitution". Well, you are more than a day late and a few dollars short, and I am extremely upset about this letter. The fact that it also comes from Florida speaks volumes.

My husband passed away November 26, 2005 and to be reminded of that fact by this letter and threatening tone, is most disheartening and distressing. He was shot and killed in our home, the murderer never found. I can only deduct that this is some kind of extortion plan in an attempt to get money out of a widow. Almost five years have passed, you have to be bloody kidding!

My husband is deceased and I have not idea what you are after. I am sure this is a case of fraud, a Nigerian letter of sorts. Now days one can't be too careful. Mind you, each person who attempt to distort money from me and family receives a letter noting my displeasure. Please refrain from contacting me again as I will contact the appropriate authorities to deal with you personally. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Please, know that I will not tolerate this kind of communique and will notify the police in this matter if I have to.

Sincerely pissed off,
______________________________________________________
I have no idea what issue my late husband had with THE HOME DEPOT!!! Then on top of that, FIVE YEARS LATER, WTF!!!
 16th of Aug, 2010 by   fredc77 0 Votes
Same thing happened with me and Officemax. I wasn't actually fired I ended up quitting (they even asked me if I wanted to finish out the week) and that was that. I'd get into the details of it but it's been over 4 years now since the incident so my memory of how it went down is a blur. Basically it started with a misunderstanding with return items, one was not put back in the proper place and somehow it was assumed I stole it or something. I got very very angry when I was approached about it. The item was later found misplaced which was absolutely insane to me.

Once I explained myself, the situation and talked to some theft manager about it I realized people had assumed I stole something and people were talking behind my back for about a week. It seemed more of a ploy to get me out of there as I had been working there for a long time. So instead of continuing to work with a disrespectful crew who can't be honest with me I ended up quitting. They asked if I wanted to continue working till the end of the week (the incident happened on a Tuesday) I said no.

No criminal charges or anything were processed, simply the incident ended and I was done. A month later I received a letter from Palmer Reifler saying I owed $300+ for civil damages. I instantly went to an attorney about it the advice I got was to ignore the letter because the firm was attempting to bully me to giving them money because officemax gave them my information. Pretty soon they got my number as well, kept calling me with auto messages, people who I were connected didn't know any relationship to the real incident, they just have a set amount ($300) and hope they collect some money in the process. Only if they follow up and try to take me to court then I should take the incident seriously, attorney also told me the chances of this are slim to none.

I lost all respect for officemax after this happened, I didn't do anything wrong and when a misunderstanding happens with one product they instantly assume theft and don't even give their employees a chance to explain what happened. My advice is if anyone goes through an experience like this don't ever let your guard down. If you did not steal and are being harassed to pay a fine of some sort, never do it. Palmer Reifler deals with thousands of 'clients' sent from various companies to try to make some money, or as they say to make up for money lost due to theft. The problem is the victims who are completely innocent but information is sold to them and their auto system. For the longest time no matter how many times I told them about the incident everyone who I talked to didn't know any details on what happened.

They just said give them money and that was that. I did not give them money because I did not do anything wrong. The issue is over now but once in a while I check the internet to see if anyone has gone through the same thing as me. It caused me a lot of grief for a year, but the more I learned about my rights the more confident I got that I will be ok. If you are innocent then you have nothing to worry about and owe no one anything. Good luck.

-Fred
 16th of Aug, 2010 by   venicementor 0 Votes
Fred,

Thank you for input. I have no idea what these idiot are talking about, as I was never aware of my late husband getting "arrested" by Home Depot or anyone else for that matter.

For all I care they can all go to hell as I will not be intimidated or have some legal group try and extort money from me. They sent me another form letter and I just faxed the same letter in response. My next stop is the attorney generals office and we'll go on from there!
 17th of Aug, 2010 by   venicementor 0 Votes
Mica1755, No problem, I did not take what you said to lawguru personally. I think that person works for this company anyway. I am so tired of the flim flam companies that are out there trying to get money out of you, me, or anyone. I am sick to death of it and have told some people I would be glad to put the phone on the box of ashes for them so that they can talk to my dead husband. More power to them if they can get some money out of him.
 30th of Oct, 2010 by   Vajrasun 0 Votes
We too, have been receiving these demand letters from Palmer, Reifler, & Ass0c. after my 16 year old daughter was falsely accussed of shoplifting at Wal-Mart. Security accussed her of taking two tubes of mascara, which she did not do and had absolutely no merchandise whatsoever in her possession. After holding her for more than one hour trying to get her to confess to taking something that she didn't take, the security personnel sent her with a polic office to the city jail!!! She was not charged, but had to wait there for me, her mother, to go pick her up. Aside from the humiliation of this incident, she and I had to attend a meeting with an intake officer at the courthouse. After hearing our account, and realizing that my daughter has never been in trouble, and is an AP/Honors student in high school with no criminal record or such, he immediately dismissed the incident as needing any sort of investigation and sent us on our way. Fast forward a few more weeks, and we are suddenly being harassed by this law firm with threatening letters and phone calls. The best part is that the listed value of merchandise or damages is $0.00!!! But the civil damand is in the amount of over $300. Over my dead body. They will never see one red cent from us. What perplexes me most is how this telephone harassment is even legal, or any of it for that matter. Oh yes, and I forgot to mention that when my daughter requested to review the security tape that they claimed they had, to prove that she did nothing, the Wal-Mart staff refused.
 17th of Dec, 2010 by   amfc2010 0 Votes
This company contacted me for the same thing, i quit my job at gordmans and now palmer is trying to get me to pay 375.00 they can kiss my white ass because i am not paying one cent to this scam. I am on the phone waiting to speak my choice words letting them know that if they want to "sue" me they can take my ass to court because my lawyer will be along side of me defending my rights and going against telocomunication harrasment of a business burreua even though is is not a business it is a scam trying to get money out of innocent people who didn't do shit. I just got off the phone with these fraud losers and they said ok we will not notify you anymore. Then they started speaking spanish after i clearly spoke up and told her i was AMERICAN and WILL take them to court if they further contact me.
 10th of Jan, 2011 by   Lovelifee10 0 Votes
I too worked for officemax and now four months after I QUIT because the LP manager was trying to get me to confess stealing from the register and safe. I am demanded to pay 808.52 really? I laughed because I know I am not guilty of stealing. And I had been seen by the LP manager 5 times in one week after being harassed I quit and she told me she would be calling the towns PD and if I didn't wait for them they would meet me at my house I said send them then because I'll save myself the non needed humiliation...well they never showed up. But if they had evidence I had comited a crime they would have had me arrested as I have seen them do with many other employees that did in fact steal. After reading many articles on this law firm I know to just ignore it and move on with my life. Thank you!!
 9th of Feb, 2011 by   thtJordangirl23 0 Votes
Guys, if so many of us have been spammed by the same people for roughly the same reasons, why're we posting all of this and complaining instead of joining together and legally bringing them down? I have a check that's been cashed by them.. which means it has their signatures.. I have letters and bank statements.. we're all witnesses and there's so many of us, we can do this. please.
 18th of Feb, 2011 by   Trina Carter 0 Votes
My name is Trina Carter and I have to pay Kmart money for theft. I use to work at Kmart in Harrahn, Louisiana, I received a letter from this company I think and I seem to have miss placed it. If this is the right company please send me the letter again. I tried calling the company but could not get through. I received the number from Kmart Loss Prevention I don't know my account number. Please feel free to email me the information or another letter in the mail. Thanks Trina Carter
 6th of Mar, 2011 by   gubstreet 0 Votes
I did get caught stealing at walmart at 2 months ago. walmart said that they were going to send me a letter telling them to pay for the damages i then received a letter from palmers and associates. telling me to pay 575$ do you guys think i should pay it?
 15th of Apr, 2011 by   Lawstudent128 0 Votes
DONT PAY SHIT ITS A SCAM. THEY WONT TAKE YOU TO COURT ITS AN AUTOMATIVE SCAM. EITHER YELL AT THEM OR IGNORE THEM AND THEY WILL JUST MOVE ON.
 9th of Jun, 2011 by   Jazmine233 0 Votes
I got caught stealing a month ago from walmart $63.04 worth of stuff.. they kept it and called the cops.. I went to jail and now i have court tomarrow.. I got a lettr from the Palmer.. for $200???!! When they kept everything and i went to jail.. i didnt pay and now I got another leter requesting $550.. can they really take me to court however??
 17th of Apr, 2012 by   Janene Kitchens 0 Votes
I have also just received a letter from Palmer, Reifler & Assoc, P.A. stating that they represent H & M Retail Store where my 13 year old daughter was caught stealing for the first (AND LAST!) time. The item in question was a $20 purse. They are "strongly encouraging" me to pay a $500 "Civil Damages" fee. There were no charges filed and my daughter was released to me at the store. No police were involved whatsoever. The threat is if I don't pay the may "consider filing a lawsuit". I am just now getting ready to sit down and compose a letter to them stating that if they want to take me to court, GO AHEAD! I cannot imagine them going to the trouble of instigating a lawsuit over a $20 purse that my 13 year old stole! I wont be paying them ANYTHING!
 17th of Apr, 2012 by   raysson1965 0 Votes
This was the SAME Law firm that I had to deal with regarding SEARS. The scumbags who were behind SEARS and CITI-BANK were cutthroat in regarding to a credit card bill that was in the amount of $3, 335.60. They HAVEN'T CALL ME back since. Why? I reported them to the FTC and the FBI for fraudulent charges and harassment.
 5th of Aug, 2012 by   asdfghjkllkdf 0 Votes
i got a third settlement offer from palmer, reifler& Associates. its says that i stole somthing at claries (but i didnt) and it told the date, it was on a tuesday and i had school on that day. they got my name wrong but my adddress coreect, idk, what should i do now ?
 6th of Sep, 2012 by   ahhhdydhfkk 0 Votes
will this go on your record? can it affect you on getting jobs or future carreers?
 2nd of Oct, 2012 by   reen53 0 Votes
My daughter was caught shoplifting from H&M 3 months ago, the manager let her go, they have the merchandise, just told her to never step foot in their stores again. She tried to take something of less than $40 value. Last week she received one of those letters, requesting she pay $500. She's afraid to not pay it so she called them. They told her to pay $250 then $50 a month. She can't afford it, she's in college and has no job. She's applying everywhere. Since she's of age and indeed guilty, I haven't stepped in but I hate to see her give $500 to a bully tactic company. I wish the store itself had fined her instead. Any advice? Thanks!
 16th of Jan, 2013 by   Vajrasun 0 Votes
Anyone can file a civil lawsuit and sue for whatever reason. However, it is a very costly process. When you make contact with these people, you are acknowledging receipt of their civil demand. Avoid contact. If you are innocent, there is absolutely nothing to worry about anyway. Do not pay their demand amount. In our case, I blocked the phone numbers and did not pay their ridiculous demand for an accusation of something that never even happened. It is not on my credit report and they did not pursue it further, because it would have only cost them money. There is no way they would have won. If you are guilty, it's a gamble. But if the merchandise amount was small, I would not pay. More likely than not, they don't have the time, manpower, or extra money to move forward with the demand. It is just that, a demand. Bully tactic. Ignore. Ignore. Ignore.

Avoid Auto Dealer Scams