logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
ID CHIEF LEGIT?
Not a complaint just question!
2. (1 mins ago)
Gambler Tobacco
Tube cut tobacco
3. (2 mins ago)
PCH Games
can't redeem tokens
4. (7 mins ago)
ADP Total Pay Card
False information/Inability it access funds
5. (11 mins ago)
trynulexa.com
They continued to take money from me

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

One Spirit Book Club Complaints & Reviews - Unsolicited merchandise

One Spirit Book Club Contacts & Informations

One Spirit Book Club

Posted:    Sandra Weppner

Unsolicited merchandise

I have been receiving books I have not ordered as though I were still a member of the club which I have not been since at least 2005. This last package is too large to send back so I am keeping is as unsolicited merchandise and will not be paying for something I DID NOT ORDER!

Sandra Weppner

Comments United States Books
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

25th of Jun, 2007 by   Marina A 0 Votes
There has been an ongoing problem with the One Spirit from the start. I've ordered a few books from them and automatically became a member of this so called honest book club. The agreement was to buy 4 books over the period of 2 years. I've bought 4 more books within 3 months of being in the club although I haven't received any catalogues from them and had to order online. After contacting them numerous times stating that I am not receiving any catalogues and since I've fulfilled my part of the commitment I figured I could cancel the membership. That was far from being the case, I've called customer service a very rude person told me that theres no reason to cancel and that they will not send me any books without me ordering them and that I'll be receiving a catalogue once monthly in case I 'll change my mind and order with them again. I've agreed and that was the end of the conversation. A month later I've receiveda package from One Spirit and called them , they've stated that I was on the Main selection list and that if I didnt want to books , I could return it but they'll not cover the return shipping costs. I was still charged for the books anyway. After arguing over the phone with them I finally go t them to remove me from the main selection list. Its now been almost a year and I've received yet another package from them out of the blue with main selection in it, since the package arrived on friday and i came home late I figured I'll call customer service on Monday, upon coming home monday evening I discovered another package with main selection in it. I've received no catalogues nor written or verbal communication from One Spirit. This is by far the worst experience I've had with any book/media club.
 4th of Jul, 2007 by   Christiane Cooper 0 Votes
I have been a happy member of One Spirit for a few years now. I recently had an incident where two of the books from a larger order were damaged/had pictures missing. I sent an email stating I would be sending the two books back. I received an email saying that "my books were on the way" and listed all the books but one that I had ordered with my original order! I sent an email saying not to send them all to me. They said "we are sorry but we have sent the books out per your request, blah, blah, blah. I sent another email explaining I did not request these and what had happened. If someone would have read my email and not copy and pasted a generic response, this would not have happened. I got another email apologizing, saying sometimes they receive items that are not in perfect condition and they will send out the order again! I said, please do not send another order, I am sending the two books and the last full order back! They sent the same generic email saying the exact same thing! That it was to late and they were sending the order out, per my request again! Ug. I sent another email saying, do not send anything else and take me off your mailing list. Also, my boyfriend brought up a good point. Maybe they are outsourcing like so many companies, and they actually cannot read English very well, so they just copy and paste a general response. SAD.
 10th of Oct, 2007 by   D Chang 0 Votes
I have had a terrible experience with One Spirit. I joined the introductory offer back in 2002. After fulfilling my membership, I canceled in writing (they weren't on the Internet yet then) twice. I continued to receive books in the mail for 9 months after canceling even though their membership agreement was that they would not send any selections automatically anyway. I wrote to them again and sent the packages back. Then they sent a collection agency after me (this was in January of 2003). I informed both One Spirit and the collection agency that I had everything that I hadn't ordered still unopened and would return it when they sent a prepaid postage label. The collection agency didn't pursue any further. After several months, I stopped sending them back and just kept them unopened. Now in 2007, I check my credit report and see that a different credit agency has been sent to collect 4 years later! There is a negative mark against my otherwise clean credit because they sent the notice to some old address and I did not have the chance to respond to the agency in time. This company is running similar to a scam. They do not uphold their contract and just send you books and then send collection agencies after you. They use your credit rating as leverage to make you pay for books you did not order! The only person negatively affected is me and my credit. There is no adverse effect on One Spirit. I am filing a complaint with the BBB and contacting news agencies to inform the public of their unethical practices that border on fraud. Do not sign up for their introductory offers! There is no end!
 13th of Mar, 2008 by   Tricia 0 Votes
How do you cancel? Can anyone provide me direction to canceling my membership to one spirit book club?
 22nd of Mar, 2008 by    a murray 0 Votes
I kept getting books from One Spirit Book Club, even though I went online and declined their 'featured book of the month'. I would get these books in the mail and had to say "refused return to sender". Finally I just stopped responding, now they sent me to a collection agency, for failing to meet my obligatory "4 books" requirement. I am refusing to play their game, if they had played fair in the first place, I would have met their obligations. Anyone else with this problem?
 16th of Jun, 2008 by   alex 0 Votes
Well I am still waiting for books to arrive which showed up as returned on online account the first time they were sent out. It's well past the 15 day period for the the introductory package to arrive since the second time they reshipped and I'm starting to get irritated with having to pay for books that never arrive.
 25th of Nov, 2008 by   Rekha. 0 Votes
I am not your book club member, we are recently coming to usa in 9 months ago. this stupid problem created by my daughter, she is 12 year old, she doesn't know what is that, she used my name, she received the books & letters & she hidden the all the books &letters. she shows me all the books &letters 3 4 days back . i am shocked, really i don't these stupid works, i swear. what can i do please help me, I saw the your amount that is too much that is $57.25 i can't pay that. please. I will pay $15.75 ok, please, forgive me
I don't have any bank account, so i will your amount from money order ok.I requesting for you please forgive her & me. I can't read & speak the english, now i am going to spoken english class.
please I could cancel the membership.
 5th of Feb, 2009 by   junglebear 0 Votes
Never put your credit card to these people either, they are criminals they had charged my credit card now four times for the same bill, and have drained now 500 dollars from my account, i am pursuing this with the bank and with the law i am gonna have some one jailed for stealing my money, don't trust this company they steal
 3rd of Jun, 2009 by   FreeSpirit 0 Votes
This happened to me. I did not want to receive anything and they sent a whole mess of books. Now I'm on collections. I just found out today and it reduced my credit rating from 769 to 600...NOT GOOD!
I saw they had a "B" Rating with the BBB online.
I just don't know what to do. I feel helpless. Also they don't provide a telephone number either.
 2nd of Sep, 2009 by   Emicus 0 Votes
This is a perpetual criminal problem on the part of one spirit (which was recently sold off to a shady mail-order conglomerate called RJM )... every 3 months they send me a "members' selection" that I had already declined. And I always mark it "unordered merchandise" and send it right back.

Now they have started demanding payment for the unordered books I've returned, and threating to report me to Alliant (some sleazy consumer rating service for similar dishonest companies operating with the same outdated criminal force-feed business model). How utterly hypocritical for a company that proports to be all about enlightened spirituality!
 2nd of Sep, 2009 by   FreeSpirit 0 Votes
Update: I finally had these crooks removed from my credit report.
It took a lot of time and tenacity, but finally I'm cautiously optimistic about it.
I will be checking my credit report annually from now on.

Emicus, sorry to hear about your issue. I would recommend that you report these crooks to the better business bureau. Better yet, contact your local district attorney's office. I would keep in constant touch with them and keep them updated. These criminal actions must be stopped. Good luck!
 22nd of Mar, 2010 by   Mudslinger3 0 Votes
Yes I joined the one spirit book club and I recieved my two free books for joining then they began to send me books that were against my religion in which I sent back they saidof course they never recieved. I get a call today from a collection agaency which was very rude to me when I told her I would not send a post dated check because I don't have the books they say I have. I will never join a one spirit book club again .
 5th of Apr, 2010 by   kvid 0 Votes
Please advise, is'nt One spirit contract illegal and against US Civil laws. I too have their membership, since two year. However i do nt like like their single book. I would hv surely fulfilled the contract, if i would hv found there books worth reading. I like reading, but I cant read crap, and how someone can force us to read crap. Hello! this USA.
Please respond. Can collection agency really effective?. can we argue the worth of books with them. How they can find us, if our number and home address is changed. Oh God!! this is torture to consumer. why smbody nt doing something abt One spirit.
 9th of Apr, 2010 by   FreeSpirit +1 Votes
Looks like crime pays. They will continue after all of this time. (bad)
 5th of May, 2010 by   AkuKitty 0 Votes
I had an incident with them a few months ago where one of there "featured selections" was sent to me because apparently I didn't respond to it in time. Now the issue here was that I had just moved out of state, I had emptied every last penny out of my bank account so that I could close it and switch banks. So the 34 something dollars that I would have had to pay, increased in overdraft fees because that particular bank adds $36 in overdraft every day it's late. I went around and around with them for over a month before the matter was settled. Unfortunately, I don't have to money to buy the 4 books I need to buy in order to cancel my membership. This is getting more annoying than any book club should be..
 13th of Jul, 2010 by   A.J. Hopper 0 Votes
I just became another victim of their scam! I checked my credit report to find they filed May 21st this year on all three of the credit bureaus I owe them $69 for 'unfullfilling club obligations' from January of 2005! Seriously, they're rediculously scamming people, and have nothing of 'Spirit' about them! It dropped my credit score 92 points in 45 days! I just paid it instead of waiting for a dispute to be settled, but how many more have done the same? Luckily, I do stay on top of my credit report now, or this would have had irreparable damage. I can only imagine how many people's credit they destroy who don't catch their scam in time! There HAS to be something we all can do...
 29th of Jul, 2010 by   Bettie Wienberg 0 Votes
have had problems with One Spirit. Their basic scam is this: they send you books you don't want and declined to order. Then, they charge you for those books, unexpectedly. If you tell them to go to ***, they threaten to ruin your credit score and send multiple collection agencies after you. A lot of people will pay to keep a good credit report. Don't order anything from them ever, please! I'm going to try to organize some kind of legal action against them . Anyone with similar complaints is welcome to contact me: bettifree@gmail.com
 1st of Aug, 2010 by   FreeSpirit 0 Votes
Update::
Well, I just had my credit score done and it dropped from 769 to 700. This is due to the fact that it's flawless...that is minus the One Spirit Book Club scammers. Now what do I do? I was told this problem was resolved. This could prevent us from buying a house! My husband (yes) could be affected as well.
I have to approach the credit bureaus again ((all of them)). The realtor told me that it would take about six weeks for them to remove them from my report. I would then have to follow up again and find out what my score will be...coupled with the fact that I feel haunted. I feel now that I will have to check every 6 months. Not so nice. I'm just so glad they did not get a credit card from me.

1st of Aug, 2010 by   FreeSpirit 0 Votes
I encourage everyone to visit:
www.yelp.com and search for "One Spirit Book Club".
You will be able to post your review there as it is a more active place and will reach more people as well.
 9th of May, 2013 by   Brooks sallly 0 Votes
The absolute worst company. I sent a payment for a book I did not order and have been harassed continuously. Then, I phoned them and they need a copy of my check. How can a company such as this stay in business. Please know if you need a spiritual book check out Barnes and Noble.

Tax Hacks: 5 Smart Uses for Your Tax Refund