logo

Kirby Vacuums
Kirby sales tactics solution
2. (6 mins ago)
DVDpearl
They tell fake promises and excuses
3. (28 mins ago)

Posted:    Jamboree

Rip off scam

One Great Famili
onegreatfamily.com
Well unfortunately this rip off company is still offering a "free 7 day trial" . I signed up on 24 Jan 2009 and cancelled on 27 Jan 2009 by following their procedures and have had USD$79.95 billed to my credit card. Despite contacting them a number of times, they have refused to refund the money. My advice to anyone wanting to use this service is DON"T. Unfortunately One Great Family seems to get away with this on a regular basis!
Comments United States Computers & Accessories
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More One Great Family Website complaints
One Great Family Website - Billing Issues

Comments

23rd of Apr, 2009 by   OneGreatFamily -2 Votes
OneGreatFamily is a leader in the burgeoning online family tree market. Established in 1999, we are the only company that does automated matching and merging of family trees into one single family tree. As a subscriber you will gain access to billions of names and on average between 100, 000 and 300, 000 new names are added each week.

When you subscribe to OneGreatFamily you have the choice of initially signing up for a free 7-day trial whereby you are provided with unlimited access to our database as well as the used of our advanced family-tree software, Genealogy Browser.

Subscribers may in addition elect either a monthly, quarterly or annual subscription. Our standard monthly subscription is $14.95, however, choosing the annual subscription provides a 66 percent discount off the monthly rate (Example: $6.66 x 12 months = $79.95).

In addition, we routinely offer special promotions that further reduce the standard subscription rate which the customer above was fortunate to benefit from. By taking advantage of the promotion, customers can save an additional $20.00 off the annual subscription rate.

Per our terms and conditions, which each subscriber must agree to in order to register an account, each customer agrees to and accepts that they will not be eligible for a refund of the subscription.

Regardless, if a customer does express a desire to cancel their subscription they still retain access to their account for all the time in which they have paid for and continue to have access to any personal data which they added to our database. In addition, they may continue to use our award winning family-tree software, Genealogy Browser, at no additional cost and continue researching their ancestors on their own.

If you visit our website (OneGreatFamily.com), you will be able to read testimonials from many of our subscribers who have greatly benefitted from our service and who are thrilled at the amount of time which we save them by automatically identifying and merging additional names into their personal family-tree.

We provide a legitimate service, however, many people who freely register on our website are unwilling to put the necessary time which genealogy research requires in order to fully realize the benefits.

We are always willing to cancel an account when a customer properly notifies us of their desires to do so and also in many cases make consession on behalf of customers when circumstances require, however, we assume no responsibility or liability for the actions of individuals who are unwilliing to accept responsibility for their actions.

Our terms and conditions are freely available for review at http://www.onegreatfamily.com/Help/TermsAndConditions.aspx
 9th of Jun, 2009 by   slappysquirrel 0 Votes
I just canceled less in 24 hours of the Free Trial. I sent an email as there is NO link to cancel a subscription...pretty savvy. I found the site slow as molasses in January and I don't have the time and patience waiting 5 to 10 minutes for simple information. Other sites do not have that problem and I pay for them because they are efficient and very helpful. This site was neither and I've been doing Geneology for several years. I did receive an email today to send me to the link to cancel. We shall see if they follow thru after following their instructions carefully. I was informed I was canceled on the site:

OneGreatFamily.com The World’s Largest Online Family Tree

* Get Started
See what's possible
* Family Tree
View and edit your family tree
* Family Dashboard
Explore cool information about your tree
* Search
Find family trees
* More >

Cancellation Complete

Your OneGreatFamily subscription has been cancelled.

Your 7-day trial subscription cancellation is now finalized.
You will still have subscriber access until your free trial has expired.

************************I don't dare go back after reading the complaint I read above. They now have my credit card information But I have contacted the Credit Card company and informed them that any request for payment is NOT authorized.
 11th of Jul, 2009 by   ANNE ATAII +1 Votes
i FULLY AGREE WITH EVERY THING YOU HAVE SAID I SIGHNED UP FOR THE FREE TRIAL FOUND THE SITE USELESS AND DECIDED TO CANCEL WITHIN HOURS BUT WAS UNABLE TO DO SO I WILL NOW CONTACT THE BANK I WISH I HAD KNOWN SOONER WHAT A SCAM THIS WAS
ANNE
 15th of Jul, 2009 by   Paulineiw +1 Votes
I signed up nearly 2 years ago on a 7 day free trial and have been trying to cancel since then, each month£11 is taken from my account, I have changed my card twice and the bank has contacted them on numerous occasions with no luck, total rip off at the end of my tether with them
 29th of Jul, 2009 by   sarahelizabeth1 +1 Votes
I just spoke with this company and am outraged by the lack of professionalism. When I cancelled the subscription in 2007, apparently, the account was not deactivated, nor do their records show that I called - convenient. How does the consumer prevail in a "their word against mine" case? My bank is disputing charges for the past 120 days, but that is the extent of their ability to advocate on my behalf. One may ask why I did not investigate prior to now - the $14.95 charge was simply lost among the $10-20K per month deductions from our bank account. To date, this company has stolen approximately $330.00 from me and apparently, the total consumer aggregated amount is significantly higher.

BTW: The website is not user-friendly by any stretch of the imagination. Investigating one's ancestry seems to be a full-time job, which holds no appeal for this curious girl.
 29th of Jul, 2009 by   OGFBilling -1 Votes
Related to the previous comment, Sarah Cornelius signed up for our online subscription through our secure web page on 10/21/2007 under the 7-day free trial. At this time the MONTHLY subscription was selected. The ability to cancel or downgrade is given to each subscriber online. In the terms and conditions it states, “To avoid being charged after the trial period, as a 7-day trial customer you must finalize your cancellation requests within the trial period by following directions that will be given to you after we have received your cancellation request.” No cancellation attempts were made.

Again on the 7-day free trial sign-up page it states, “Your 7-day trial is risk free for the first seven days. You may cancel any time during the free trial period. You will not be billed and your plan will not start until the trial period is over.” Again, we did not receive any cancellation requests, and there were no cancellation attempts made by this customer. The account remained active, and the subscription began on 10/29/2007. There are many ways to cancel an account with us. It can be done online or customers can contact us through our email, or customer service phone. Customers also can disable the automatic renewal at any time themselves. This is explained in our terms and conditions on the sign-up page. All of our customers are required to click that they have read and agreed to our terms and conditions before they are able to create an account.

In our terms and conditions, it states “Subscription membership in the Service is on a continuous service basis. This means that once you have become a subscribing member, your subscription will be automatically renewed and your credit card will be charged based on the subscription program you have chosen. Monthly, quarterly, biannual subscriptions or annual subscriptions or annual renewals may be cancelled by you at any time by calling 800-489-0932, but no refund will be made for unused subscription time.” If our customers do not click that they have agreed to our terms and conditions, they cannot proceed with creating the account.

We received a cancellation request on 7/29/2009. At that time, the automatic renewal was disabled, but based on the terms and conditions that were agreed to at the time of sign up, a refund was not issued. It is important to note that although the customer's account was cancelled they have not been denied access to the account and will continue to have full access to the service thru the end of the current subscription period.

Once a customer has subscribed to our service they may also download our free Genealogy Browser software to do research on their own family tree. Here are some additional benefits to subscribing to OneGreatFamily:

• Start researching where others left off
• Meet and collaborate with family
• Search millions of names
• See your entire pedigree at once
• View and edit your data from just about anywhere
• Automatically find your ancestors
• Safeguard your data from computer failures
• Connect you to the original online family tree

Our services and access to our database are provided on a subscription basis. Our terms and conditions are available for review at http://www.onegreatfamily.com/Help/TermsAndConditions.aspx
 8th of Oct, 2009 by   Taliah 0 Votes
I have found this site to be one of the most helpful, useful amazing genealogy websites there is. It explains CLEARLY in the terms and conditions that you will be charged immediately after the 7-day free trial is over. I have found there customer service team to be VERY helpful and this website to be a remarkable resource for those who are honestly interested in pursuing family history. Obviously, none of you read or understand english because they tell you what is going on the entire time. And if they do this, WHY would they give you your money back? It's your own negligence.
 13th of Jan, 2010 by   Kivatar +1 Votes
The company makes it virtually impossible to cancel a subscription before, during, or after the 7-day free trial. There is no link to cancel. There is no ability to remove your credit card information. I have called the number repeatedly and have left numerous voicmails. I have received no response. Do an internet search and you will find hundreds of unresolved complaints. If they are such an upstanding company, they would be concerned about their customer service and would work with their customers. According to the Better Business Bureau and many other websites, this company has no concern for anything but the almighty dollar. Their tactics are nothing more than theft and fraud.

My suggestion: As soon as you are charged, contact your bank and dispute the charge!!
 21st of Jan, 2010 by   Javall Bridges 0 Votes
I did not sign up for a 7 day free trial. I do not even know what this is about but when I checked my debit card today $79.95 was taken off. I have not even attempted to contact these people about any family tree or any thing like that. I just want my money put back on my card. I tried to contact them but they keep saying I have to login into an account before my complaint will be processed. I do not have an account with them. If any one knows of a telephone number I can call please email me at javall.williams@gmail.com
 21st of Jan, 2010 by   OneGreatFamily -1 Votes
Mr. Williams,

You can contact us by calling toll-free at 1-800-489-0932. Our business hours are from 9 am to 5 pm, MST.

Thanks,

OneGreatFamily Customer Support
 24th of Feb, 2010 by   abrodie1017 +3 Votes
DON'T USE THIS WEBSITE!!! This is one of the worst customer service experiences I have ever had. I cancelled my subscription 9/09/2009 (tho they don't make it easy to do so. I used the telephone message method, which is a crafty way of making a confirmation hard to trace.) I was charged in October. I called again and asked for refund of the October charge. I never got that, but I was told my subscription was cancelled and they didn't charge me in November, December, and January. Then I sudden'y get a charge in early Feb. I've tried to get that back; they claim they have no record of that cancellation. They don't respond to the fact that I wasn't charged for November to January. This website SUCKS!!! DO NOT USE!! If I have to eat this charge, I am telling as many people as I can on FB, Ancestry.com boards and elsewhere to STAY AWAY. Horrendous customer service experiences and complaints everywhere on the net. I learned my lesson. Use Ancestry.com for all geneology needs. They're also VERY reasonable and helpful. RUN AWAY from 1greatfamily.
 24th of Feb, 2010 by   abrodie1017 +2 Votes
Also note, on the BBB.org Utah site, their rating is F. What a shock.
 26th of Feb, 2010 by   alan rae tritt 0 Votes
i agree i thought i cancelled last november 2009 but these mouth get billed again dont know want to do please help
 3rd of Mar, 2010 by   autumnsong +1 Votes
I loaded my family tree and forgot to remove living family members and they are refusing to remove them from the database. They believe once you upload the information it's theirs. I didn't even want them to remove the whole tree just living members of which there were 10. Be careful what you information you give them. I;m sticking with ancestry.com from now on.
 6th of Mar, 2010 by   ih8tscammers 0 Votes
I saw this same scam on Free Credit Report dot com.

Be it known that if you can make a one time payment online, do NOT use the service. period.

There will be one site that will let you do that and that is the one that should get the business.
Not companies like this scummy scam artist. Why, just because they helped that Jessica Parker person?

Im sure they didn't rip her bank account off. Ancestry dot com, here is a message to you.
Stop that automatic billing because you are technically stealing money not authorized to you and when people want to cancel, you should make it a no brainer to do so.

People should wake up to this scam and alert the authorities to it.
 6th of Mar, 2010 by   ih8tscammers +1 Votes
sorry I meant "if you CAN'T make a one time payment"
 24th of Jun, 2010 by   OneGreatRipOff -1 Votes
I signed up for the seven days and couldn't find any information that I couldn't get from another provider. Whenever I found something, they wanted to charge me extra to get the specific information. So, I didn't get anything. I thought I had canceled several times, but they kept billing me and made it difficult for you to see how to unsubscribe. I went to the credit card company to get them to stop Great Family from charging me and they still charged me. After trying to cancel three times I finally got an e-mail from them stating that the account was now closed. This was after going for nearly six months with no benefit to me, but a huge charge to my card.

I AM VERY ANGRY WITH ONE GREAT FAMILY AND I RECOMMEND STAYING CLEAR OF THEM.
 15th of Jul, 2010 by   Hisgrace4me -1 Votes
I set up the 7 day free trial and used my card as the others did. Within 20 minutes I could not find anything that I wanted. I even punched in things that I knew were out there and available and nothing. It wasn't very helpful. So I cancelled within 20 minutes. Guess what? I got charged anyway!

I called customer service and she was very nice and cancelled my account she also said that they sent me an email asking me to confirm that I cancelled and I never received it. But she said that she gave me a credit on my account, cancelled it and gave me a cancellation confirmation number. I have it all logged in the event they lose their records.

The thing with this and especially Archives.com - they are just a porthole to the information. They tell that they found X number of pieces of information for you and when push the button to fetch it, lo and behold another website wants to charge you for the information.

I am sticking with Ancestry.com. I get what I pay for. I know what I am paying for. No hidden charges and if I really want a death certificate, I will go straight to the office to get it. No through some liason website.
 2nd of Aug, 2010 by   Pabst -1 Votes
They say they are professional, so was Al Capone - and claim it's easy to cancel ...
I contacted the BBB in Utah and the Family responded with some files showing I had cancelled - no indication of a refund mind you. They claim
to send E-Mail, but I have not received any. Eighty bucks is a bit enthusiastic to charge for almost a month of frustration- my advice:
Steer clear of this Family operation.
 31st of Aug, 2010 by   Rainwater +1 Votes
I tried them and found it very easy to cancel. They were polite and professional and I'm thinking about signing up again.

Food Prices on the Rise