logo

CallReady.co.uk
Not recommended!
2. (4 mins ago)
jcappoc.com
My order is still in process and seller ignores me
3. (5 mins ago)
NY Biennale Art
Pietro Franesi
4. (50 mins ago)
Youth weekly Pay
Website is scam – don’t waste time
5. (55 mins ago)

Omnitech Complaints & Reviews - Attempted to sell me unnecessary services

Omnitech Contacts & Informations

Omnitech

Posted: 2011-07-24 by    hams8

Attempted to sell me unnecessary services

Omnitech
I Googled 'microsoft help' and found Omnitech. Under the belief Omnitech was an authorized Microsoft help agent, I initiated a chat with them in an attempt to determine whether I could uninstall Microsoft Word 2010 Starter without losing documents I had created with the program. (I had since purchased Microsoft Word 2010 - the full-price program - and I knew I could open Starter documents in it. But I didn't know if I would lose those documents after uninstalling Starter.) Omnitech asked me if they could establish a remote connection, and I consented. After 10 minutes, the Omnitech representative told me "I have found there are a lot of system registry errors and virus/malware threats which might crash the computer." I mentioned I was surprised because I had the current edition of Norton Antivirus installed in my computer. Omnitech replied that Norton "cannot detect all the infections such as registry corruptions, operating system errors, Polymorphic infections, etc. Such infections have to be scanned and removed manually by performing optimizations in your computer." Omnitech then told me they would optimize my registry for the "nominal charge" of $79.99, and attempted to sell me an "Assurance Plan, " a subscription plan that would continue to optimize my registry for an additional charge. I smelled a scam, and I told Omnitech I would not pay a Microsoft help agent to fix problems for which Microsoft is responsible, i.e., weak security. Omnitech said they would have to terminate the chat. I asked Omnitech to email me a transcript of the chat, but they did not, which, in itself, is a questionable practice. I copied and pasted the transcript myself, and I have used direct quotations from the transcript - minus a few punctuation errors - in this report. I cleaned my registry with CCleaner, which is free, and it did not, as I suspected, indicate much contamination. I also uninstalled Word 2010 Starter without losing files or damaging my registry, as Omnitech purported. Despite Omnitech's A+ rating from the BBB, they are a scam, pure and simple. The BBB should be ashamed of themselves, and I will never trust them again.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

15th of May, 2013 by   BillyV 0 Votes
The same "sell job" happened to me word for word though I was simply calling to make sure I converted my email to a new account and internet provider. Then my wife gets two persistent calls from a guy in Pakistan wanting to get into our computer as "we" had problems. When you step back and look at all the scams going on where companies impersonate being from the FBI, your bank, mortgage company or whoever, you would think there would be very stiff penalties. I am seeing the same with regard to an ex partner who scammed me and many others en total out of over $1.5M dollars and yet I get bounced agency to agency and no results.
Makes us wonder where our tax dollars really go.
 24th of Oct, 2013 by   bweb 0 Votes
I contacted this company and was given the same go around. Also they charged me three times for the same "help". They said my card was not going through. I called my bank and they said the charges had gone through. I called omnitect back and after speaking to a supervisor they agreed to resend the charges. So far they have not.
 26th of Mar, 2014 by   Braffin 0 Votes
It's still happening. Refuses to fix the problem I called about until I paid them to remove "polymorphic infections". Insisting the infections were the problem, guaranteeing this work fix my problem. After paying them, I still had the same problem plus I now have pop ups from Omni Tech and the company they stole the download from to fix the problem they insisted their infection removal would resolve.

Save for Retirement or Pay Down Debt?

Latest Groups