logo

FCL
FRESH CUT BG / SBLC, MTN FOR LEASE
4. (1 hr 3 mins ago)
Wyndham Hotels And Resorts
Tried to hook but failed
5. (1 hr 51 mins ago)
Whatever Works
Don't even bother with this company unless you like being frustrated

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Odesk Corporation Complaints & Reviews - Beware!

Odesk Corporation Contacts & Informations

Odesk Corporation

Posted:    Valerie

Beware!

Odesk Corporation
odesk.com
Odesk Scam - Don't Hire Odesk Programmers. Odesk based in California did not lift a finger when we got scammed by oversea programmers. WARNING BEFORE USING ODESK READ THIS. We recently hired Odesk to introduce us to a "So Called" affordable software programmers. Here's the Scam that happened to us on Odesk:

1. We were quoted a large fee (about $10, 000) by a very nice programmer to develop software for us.

2. Midway into the stage the programmer comes back to us and stated he miscalculated his quote and demanded another approx. $5, 000.00 to complete the project.

3. We were so deep into the Odesk Project that we agreed to pay the additional money to Odesk.

4. After the software was 75% completed the programmer came back to us and DEMANDED ANOTHER approx. $20, 000.00 to complete the Odesk Project

5. After we told the programmer we already paid twice and another approx. $20, 000.00 is way out of our budget he instantly turned into a Nightmare! He was no longer nice... he told us we need to pay the other $20, 000.00 or we will basically get nothing for our money that we can do anything with.

6. We contacted Ron Aquino from Odesk about this issue. They basically told us to work with the programmer and there was nothing they could do other than send them an email. They said they would talk to the programmer but instead of helping us they gave the programmers more money.

Ron Aquino told us to pay the money the programmer was asking for... because the programmers was not happy with our solution to make payments for the extra bribe money. Please understand that Odesk gets paid when a programmer gets paid. There's something fishy about that.

Odesk takes a commission every billing hour. It only makes sense that naturally they don't mind a client getting over billed and Price Bait and Switch because the more money the programmers earn the more money they earn... Thus there was no conclusion... or help from Odesk.

Ron Aquino informed our company to stop using odesk. Probably because of our massive complaints. The Odesk Corporation did absolutely NOTHING to help the situation. We have Nothing to show for the thousands of dollars we lost. Our recommendation is if you want to use Odesk to out source your programmers BEWARE of Bait and Switch of the pricing... because the programmers know once you are deep into the job and the work is almost done you will have no choice but to pay what ever they demand to finish the job.

Beware of the Mr. Nice guy routine as first because the first second you tell them you can't afford to pay more... you will experience a living nightmare and will loose your money and time invested.

That was our Odesk experience!
Comments United States E-Shopping
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

27th of Sep, 2010 by   hfe 0 Votes
We have been ripped off by odesk as well. They won’t even refund us the commission they took from us being robbed. In addition to the money we lost months waiting for our product from them and in the end got nothing. We filed a complaint with BBB online. I urge anyone who has had a problem to do the same. It only takes a couple of minutes and can get odesk BBB rating down. That was how I was duped because I checked them out and they have an A+ rating. If you file a complaint maybe you can even get something back.
 3rd of Oct, 2010 by   724 0 Votes
Ohhhh Folks...

I've recently had a "Run In" with oDesk too.

Let me set the record straight with these guys. They **do not ** give a rats @$$ about you as the employer. Nor do they care at all about you as a contractor.

They care about one thing, and one thing only: 10% commission on all transactions.

In my dispute with oDesk (which I will not bother going into) it became abundantly clear that even though oDesk acknowledged that the contractor hired had done the wrong thing, had billed for hours not entitled, etc; there was no way that oDesk was going to refund to me monies they charged to my credit card.

In the end, I had to lodge a dispute with VISA to get my money back. I got every penny of it back; and have subsequently black listed oDesk amongst our organizations.

The blacklisting wasn't because the contractor defrauded us; it was solely because of oDesk's absolutely horrible manner of dealing with it.

That being said, I understand there are many many happy people using the service. However there are a statistically significant portion of both contractors and contractees that are pissed off with these guys -- and that can't be ignored.

Steve
 21st of Dec, 2010 by   Li'l Crys 0 Votes
Perhaps you should have thought about that before you bypassed countless Americans who, I'm certain, could have done your project. Sometimes you really do get what you pay (or don't pay) for.
 21st of Dec, 2010 by   724 -1 Votes
This is true. I should have! I could have hired an American at 20 times the prescribed rate, who demands he only works 35 hours per week, wants 4 months off vacation per year and God help me if he doesn't work out and I decide to fire him... I'd spend the next ten years in court over wrongful dismissal, emotional and psychological damage claims, and the list goes on. And that's if the guy doesn't just show up to the office with a gun and shoot me cuz it's his God given right to bear arms.

Yup. Let's hire an American.
 21st of Dec, 2010 by   724 0 Votes
An update on MY odesk experience:

Firstly, it is without question, the only thing that oDesk places a priority on, is collecting their 10%. Everything else is secondary.

After some heated exchanges with oDesk on the matter, we disputed the amount charged on my Visa. $14, 000 worth. VISA accepted the dispute, and issued a charge back to oDesk.

oDesk then re-charged the credit card again for the $14, 000. VISA contacted us for further details; after providing VISA with the email correspondence between oDesk and ourselves, VISA ruled in favor of ourselves and applied the chargebacks again.

We received an email from oDesk shortly after stating that they were going to do everything in their power under Australian Law, including sending the amount to an international collection agency, to recover the $14, 000. --- Now this is funny considering previous discussions on the topic oDesk advised us that if we wanted to dispute the charges, we would have to do so in a Californian Court.

We gave oDesk the name and contact details of our corporate Barrister, who has advised oDesk that we welcomed their persuit under Australian Law as we will be countering for damages; approximately $250, 000 worth.

Thus far oDesk have gone silent.

These guys *are* completely unethical. There are many other services out there where you can contract developers and not have to deal with the recalcitrant nature of these pricks.
 30th of Jan, 2011 by   odesk_support 0 Votes
twitter @odesksux
 22nd of Mar, 2011 by   Collector Coin 0 Votes
Here's another oDesk-related bad story - http://blog.colnect.com/2011/03/odesk-warning-for-employers.html
 4th of Jun, 2011 by   MarySthewriter 0 Votes
As an ODesk contractor, having skimmed through the posts... I have to say I think that 99% of the time, this is a case of the user not reading the oDesk policies and not doing their homework on the people they hired. Sorry, guys, but I'm not buying the sob stories. oDesk doesn't make ANY claims about screening their freelancers... or, for that matter, the companies that use them to hire people. It's not an employment agency, it's a place to meet up- rather like a dating site. If you went on one of those and had a bad date, would you blame them? Or would you think, gee, I invited this person I talked to 2x over e-mail to my house, and then got robbed? Duh.
If you meet someone through a dating site, you meet them publicly, you talk to them, you get to know them... If you hire someone through oDesk, you check out their previous projects, and if you're going to pay them substantial money for a big project... you get references!
Don't blame oDesk for your lack of common sense.
 24th of Jun, 2011 by   victimofodesk +1 Votes
I have been working in ODESK for two years. I had the unfortunate mishap of complaining to their customer service and their Odesk Marketplace of my recent buyer (also known as my employer) and some of my co-workers making fun of my ethnicity and my being a disabled person other than having a hairlip.

If I could draw your attention to their ODESK Marketplace regulations, it bespeaks of two things: GUARANTEED PROTECTION from work and harassment of any form.

When I complained about the buyer's behavior, what happened was that Customer Service referred my case to their Marketplace and I was asked to submit my evidences from pictures (JPEG/PNG) to chat transcripts of any form if available. I have done all of that.

While awaiting the result of the investigation, WITHOUT WARNING, ODESK SUDDENLY PERMANENTLY SUSPENDED MY ACCOUNT.

I was the victim and the complaining party and this is what they do to complainants.

This horrible story just tells you that ODESK is BIASED if you will complain about American Employers and Filipino Co-Workers. I am a Malasian Christian working from home because of my condition but this does not mean I am not useful nor am I a dependent.

ODESK TOLD ME THAT MY SUSPENSION WAS PERMANENT AND I CANNOT ANYMORE COMPLAIN AND THEY WOULD NOT RESPOND TO MY EMAILS ANYMORE.

They claim to have warned me but there was absolutely none and now my account has been permanently suspended and according to their email, it is their prerogative not to reply inspite of the fact that I have a pending complaint lodged against my buyer.

BEWARE! IF YOU ARE A DISABLED PERSON, NOT AN INDIAN, NOT A FILIPINO, THEN PLEASE DO NOT APPLY AT ODESK.

I HAVE LEARNED THAT THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE ARE MOSTLY FILIPINOS BUT THE WAY THEY SPEAK (NOTWITHSTANDING THE POOR GRAMMAR) COMES WITH A RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION OF SORTS AND IT IS AS IF THEY ARE AMERICANS AS WELL TOTALLY FORGETTING THEIR BEAUTIFUL CULTURE.

A very sad situation that ODESK refuses to rectify.

-ODESK PROVIDER VICTIM-
 11th of Sep, 2011 by   lostmoneyonodesk 0 Votes
Same Happened with me, I hired programmer on odesk, he was so unresponsive and kept dragging the project to make more money hourly. I delayed my project which was small modification job to turned into nightmare. He dragged the project for 1 year and in the end site he modified was extremely slow and he could fix it. I ended up paying $10, 000 modifying for $150 script. I would never suggest to hire programmers who are unresponsive and if you have bad feeling about programmer just drop it, otherwise you will endup paying $10000 and will get nothing in return apart from scrapping your project.
 1st of Nov, 2011 by   consumersrevolt 0 Votes
My problem with oDesk is as a provider. I have built a good profile, portfolio and work history but have the problem of there being little quality work available. Everybody wants to hire the cheapest worker, only to have to turn around and hire someone else to clean up their mess (also at the cheapest rates). So far, I've not had a problem with their customer service and make a point to follow their terms of service, but agree with the guy who said he felt he was prostituting his services. I've had to drop my already competitive rates to compete for the few good jobs available but am at the point that I'm looking elsewhere for work. I could create my own website and make over 5 times as much per hour in only one of my fields of expertise...something I'm seriously considering doing.

oDesk is fine for American providers, but only if they're willing to work for well under a living wage and only if they stick to the hourly jobs (I've seen jobs where employers literally ask for free work - disguised as so-called samples of what you'd do for them specifically - avoid this and any jobs not guaranteed!!!).

I can't say for being an oDesk employer, because I'm not one, but it sounds as though some are unhappy either with the quality of work they receive or oDesk's service/resolution support. I have no experience with that, as my clients have all been happy but, regarding the quality of work, I can only say you get what you pay for...the majority of quality providers will request what they feel they're worth and, generally, competitively so. If they're claiming college-level or above skills and only asking $2/hour...10 to 1, something's up.
 20th of May, 2012 by   Rie Avis 0 Votes
This must be a really terrible experience for you! This is the disadvantage of not having a middle man to handle and arrange agreements between employer and contractor.
You might want to check www.staff.com. This is also an outsourcing company but we have inhouse Human Resources Management to make sure the contractors and employes meet halfway.
 6th of Aug, 2012 by   Rico Yan 0 Votes
I will not allow odesk will do this to me especially the staff who are Filipinos where I discovered who did it to me and I won't discuss further it here but one thing is for sure since there are many Filipino staffs. Maybe 2 or 3 of them must get be Murdered in order to get a relief on my part.

To all victims of odesk, Let us murder some of odesk people(staff) to teach them a lesson. For you are staying in US, Better executed at least 2 or 3 odesk staff to give message to the world. I am sorry for writing this here because first, I mean it; second, I am very angry of odesk.
 9th of Nov, 2012 by   odeskisvampire +1 Votes
Just like a dog won't give up chasing his bones, oDesk won't give up my ID - oDesk once again suspended me in order to force me to submit my ID, and on their web, they claimed that ID verification is "optional". I don't understand why the heck oDesk is so much obsessed with my privacy.

If my hard work and profile is my private property, then oDesk simply transpass over and over whenever they want - oDesk is locking my door to force me to turn in my ID to them. Sounds familiar? Yes, as seen in those movies, gangsters point their guns to your head to force you to turn in your money.

I really think oDesk is actually a business from North Korea or Mexico !

When oDesk once again tried to manipulate its providers, it successfully turned itself from a Platform into a Pimp. Odesk probably has a motto that they are nothing but slave owner, dog owner, pimp, bummer, blood sucker.

Just to give you a quick recap. oDesk once suspended me for 7 months, with an excuse to verify my NAME by forcing me to provide photo ID, address, date of birth. Far earlier than that, my profile sometimes was secretely burried from search, job invitations secretly went directly to archives, messages never arrived at personal email. etc.

Due to my fight with oDesk, it set me free a few months ago without any compensation to my loss of time and income. It also means, during my suspension, someone else was getting something. As if it is not unfair enough, oDesk changed its ranking system to something called "dynamic" which made all my previous rankings become nothing, and I was top xx provider before that !

Now what excuse did oDesk use this time? "inconsistent IP", and I told oDesk a million times that I was travelling but those bums at oDesk probably never travel nor believe any providers should travel.

As a senior victim fucked by oDesk, let me tell you the traps set by oDesk:

1. If you submit your ID, you can only work at one location, otherwise, oDesk will suspend you for "inconsistent IP". You can't work during travel.

2. If you submit your ID, some unethical bum out of nowhere will get that information and you will be a victim of identity theft.

3. If you submit your ID, oDesk patchs a hole in your wallet. Remember they check every of your single message of work, and they know your online payment information.

4. If you submit your ID, this doesn't have anything to do with solution to inconsistent IP !! In a word, oDesk just wants to simply either suspend you or get your privacy.

5. If you submit your ID, last but not least, oDesk have all your privacy.In some pathetic country, provdiers there have only 1 type of ID for everthing.
More and more theft reported in news. Someone's bank was withrawed from abroad.

But, if you are not famous, not in someone's way, you don't have to worry for a while, because I was suspended by oDesk each time when my business boomed and I got lots of projects ! I not only was forced to drop future projects, but the current ongoing projects!

I'm not the only person who had bad experiences with oDesk. There are buyers as well as providers fucked by oDesk. If you are a lawyer or reporter who is interested in our pathetic case with oDesk, please contact me. :)
 9th of Nov, 2012 by   odeskisvampire 0 Votes
Hi all victims, I think we need work together to do something.
Let's teach some people some lessons!
Let's change this unfairness
 10th of Feb, 2014 by   wendygoerl 0 Votes
And you didn't just cancel the contract BECAUSE!?!??!
 8th of Apr, 2014 by   saschap 0 Votes
oDesk supports slavery, they allow publishing of fixed price job for 100 USD per month, 5 hours working per day from Monday to Saturday. screenshot: http://s10.postimg.org/57ya3tga1/odesk2.png
So, if Iran allows selling of kidney for max 5000 USD and user is from Iran, but oDesk is registered in the US, odesk must forbid such business. It is the same about economic exploitation. Whatever excuses odesk can find, you can see from screenshot that it is typical example of exploitation, published mentioned salary and monthly work 5 hours per day 6 days in a week. It is not contract for some product, it is monthly salary. One more woman wrote negative experience (race and age discrimination): https://www.change.org/petitions/odesk-corporation-make-the-odesk-marketplace-fair-for-everyone

How to Invest Without Much Money