logo

ACK Group
Fake Job Consultancy
4. (15 mins ago)
Reliance Communications
Installation of Tower on the terrace of my building
5. (17 mins ago)

Posted:    ZacO74

Bad customer service

Oceanic Cable Road Runner
Just venting...I have the 5Mbps road

Runner Service from Oceanic Cable in Honolulu and more often it never gets anywhere near that speed. Many times when I measure the speed, it's in the 300kbps to 1Mbps range. Occasionally, I would get 5Mbps but that's if I use it in obscure hours of the day when other people are either sleeping or not at home.

And when you call them all they do is tell you to reset the box or exchange the box, blah blah blah. Then they try to schedule you a technician and make you wait at home for 8 hours.

I think they are oversubscribing their links and they hope not too many people complains.

Everyone should keep calling them to complain and jam up all their customer service which sucks anyways.
Comments United States Internet Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

6th of Dec, 2009 by   transitro 0 Votes
I totally concur with the above post by Zach074. I too have measured Oceanic's Roadrunner speeds and what they mean is that you pay royally for what you don't get. Their so-called "high-speed" internet resembles an average range between 230 kbs to 1000 Kbs, with surges that rarely if ever go above 2000 kbs, far short of the promised 3 Mbs.

So, while RR speed fluctuates, I have never, never in the 10 years I've had Roadrunner (has it been 10 years already?) seen any of the advertised speeds. There are plenty of websites that allow one to measure one's broadband speeds and I have consulted them all. As of today I have an alternative in the form of Clearwire WIMAX and this is how it compares using different speed tests:
RR download 473 kbs, upload 233 ks VS Clear download 1588 kbs, upload 340 kbs (via speedtest.net);
RR download 509 kbs, upload 62 kbs VS Clear download 1938 kbs, upload 237 kbs;
RR download 2139 kbs, upload 225 kbs VS Clear download 3256 kbs, upload 387 kbs;
RR download 993.7 kbs VS Clear download 1800 kbs

Yesterday and today I did several tests of RR before I went out and got Clearwire with the following motivating results:
RR download 234 kbs, upload 24 kbs
RR download 690 kbs, upload 15 kbs
RR download 570 kbs, upload 70 kbs
RR download 720 kbs, upload 20 kbs
RR download 990 kbs, upload 60 kbs

I also purchased the Clearwire WIMAX USB wireless modem for my laptop to free myself from hotspots for $20 more per month, with the following results:
1812 kbs/221 kbs
1547 kbs/189 kbs
4710 kbs/200 kbs
1660 kbs/110 kbs

It is fair to mention that even Clearwire's speeds in Hawaii appear to lag compared to mainland speeds, according to the averages posted along the speed tests, but even then Oceanic/Warner Roadrunner looks far worse.
It's also interesting to note that one test, from Intel, showed RR's speed between DSL and Cable, while Clearwire sat between T1 and T3, a dramatic difference. So, in conclusion, for an extra $20/mo I more than doubled my internet speed and gained a USB laptop modem with very similar speeds. Most importantly, Roadrunner's robbery has come to an end.
 4th of Jan, 2010 by   Kazimierz 0 Votes
5Mbps internet does not mean 5 MegaByte per second download speed. Mbps is Megabit per second (Mbps) and not MegaByte per second. 5Mbps downloads at 625KBps about, as there are 8 bits in one byte.

Testing Fuel Saving Tips