logo

Rip-off

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Ocean Beach Club/Goldkey resort Complaints & Reviews - Timeshare week forfeited because of missed maintenance payment

Ocean Beach Club/Goldkey resort Contacts & Informations

Ocean Beach Club/Goldkey resort

Posted:    Luke Lee

Timeshare week forfeited because of missed maintenance payment

Have you ever heard of losing you deeded week even after you have paid for the yearly maintenance fee as well as the collection fee (another 50%)? Does this sound reasonable?

It sounds very fraudulent to me. Now that I have paid for the yearly maintenance fee, my "deeded" week is still in a forfeited status. After trying to resolve the issue with the "owner association", Jackie Riggs, her response was she has to "look out for the interest of the other owners of the association."

Frankly, I do not think any consumers would accept this at all. I am in the process of finding this out online. Basically, the maintenance fee was $614 and the collection fee was $221. I believe in any business relationship, you give some and you gain some. In this case, I think I gave some and got a lemon.

Comments United States Hotels
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

31st of Aug, 2010 by   elchimbo 0 Votes
Hi lisa2222 I have just send the letter and all there sales material back certified and return notice of receipt to cancel agreement and called my cc to put a stop on the payment toward the deposit I made.I will be waiting to here back From them that they have canceled because I am still within the allotted time period stated in the agreement.
Did they send you a cancelation letter back or fax back stating contract was cancelled? it would be smart to have for future ref
 15th of Mar, 2011 by   PJJT 0 Votes
I just got a canceled from my timeshare with this fraudulent company. I want to join the class action suit in Allentown, PA. Does anyone have the info that I can get to join to close this fraud down! This is horrible, I too won't recommend anyone to this resort. What a scam!!!
 28th of Mar, 2011 by   Lhack +1 Votes
Well we are now in the same boat at Luke Li. My husband lost his job and although I have made the monthly payments on time for 5 years, I could not pay the maintenance fee until February 20, and included the $50 late fee. Two days later I get a notice from a collection agency that I owe them $259. For what? I paid Gold Key the exact amount they billed me and yes, I was late, but I also paid their $50 late fee. Seems like in the meantime although they received my check and cashed it, they decided to turn me over to a collection agency. They have not taken my week away yet, but I am looking for that to happen next as I am fighting with the collection agency and as you all know, they hold all the cards. I will never purchase another timeshare with Gold Key, I will never recommend them to anyone and I will do my best to tell everyone about my experience. Yes, business is business, but we are all humans and none of us expected the economy to tank or for so many people to lose their jobs. If I knew of a way to sell this rock hanging around my neck I would do so. I do not know why I should pay a collection agency $259 for making a phone call AFTER my fee was paid.
 23rd of May, 2011 by   annecandi 0 Votes
I recently did a timeshare tour with Gold Key Resorts. Like you all, I have heard the horror stories of not being able to trade out and of the maintanance fees. I was not impressed with the resort and politely told the sales rep. "This is not for me, but maybe I will refer some people who may like this." The sales rep. became very aggitated (Craig Dean is his name) and at the end of the tour he became a smart ass. OMG! It took all I had within me not curse him out. They are rude when they don't make a sale. My belief is this - if you have a product worth buying, even if one potential buyer decide not to buy, you should know someone else would. I feel his actions speaks for the resort as a whole - NO CLASS. Usually the behavior of a companies employee's represent the company as a whole, especially in this case. When I talked with his manager, they put on this sincere apology, BUT at the same time made excuses for him by saying things such as "he is young and new." Sometimes these people act like a used car salesman tying to pass of "lemons" and when you don't buy they get an attitude.
 31st of May, 2011 by   lneicy 0 Votes
Back to the losing a week. I believe that if you pay the maintenance fee and the late fee and still don't get your week and Gold Key rents the week that they are asking for unreasonable profit. Still trying to decide if I will take them to small claims court which I believe is up to $1200.
 29th of Jul, 2011 by   Jcortes 0 Votes
Hi, I also need some advice... My husband and I fell into this trap as well with Gold Key Resorts! On July 3 of this year we got sucked in to buying a timeshare a Turtle Cay. We were excited being that we love VB, and I believe my husband and I were still "high" on marriage since we had just recently got married on June 25th on this same year- we thought why not? Well, these sales people made arrangements with us to make arranged payments for the deposit because we did not have what they were requesting as a down payment. We paid $200 up front and agreed to pay $495 on July 22 and the remainder balance of $495 on Aug 5. Well, even though I lost my job- we would do what we can to keep up with the payment BUT on July 22nd Gold Key Resorts tried to debit our account twice for the $495. I could see that my account's available balance had been deducted the $495. the very next day Gold Key calls to say that our card had declined... Well we thought that was odd and stated to them that we could do nothing at the time because our bank was closed on Saturdays and we resassured that we would resolve this on Monday. That is when I found out that they tried to retrieve the funds twice. NOW I am very dis satisfied with them and do not want to continue the contract with them. Other then all this- our unit will not be available until February... When I called Gold Key- we are not even in there system as owners... What can I do? Can I cancell?
 4th of Aug, 2011 by   Swex 0 Votes
Jcortes, i am worried with you, i signed papers on july 25th this year. ive paid 300 down and now ive read all this im scared to death. it sounded great to exchange the time with interval. did you find out anything??? please let me know! thank you
 9th of Nov, 2011 by   sdberry 0 Votes
My husband and I bought ours at Ocean Beach Club on a whim last year while on vacation there. Big mistake. We never use it and have never used it. I know the economy is in the tank but we'd still like to put it up for sale but have no idea how to do that. Can anyone offer any suggestions? We were told they wanted first chance to buy back but guess what, nobody knows why we were told that. haha Now maintenance fee's are $745! Yes, this is our own fault for falling for the sales pitch. We just want to get rid of it. Thanks for any suggestions.
 2nd of Jan, 2012 by   kevofpace +1 Votes
I agree with everyone. This is a money pit. Maintenance fees going up, and Interval never has anything for exchange. There must be someway to sell this thing. Please post some legitimate ideas. Posts that say "You should never have bought" are useless and a waste of type. I will gladly join a class action lawsuit to get out of this.
 3rd of Jan, 2012 by   LuckyRicky 0 Votes
After reading these complaints, I feel so fortunate that we searched after we got sucked into buying a timeshare at turtle bay and sent a cancellation form last friday.
Buyers beware!
 1st of Feb, 2012 by   NAT24588 0 Votes
HI, I HAVE BEEN WITH GOLD KEY 5YEARS AND I AM A CO-SINGER TO MY EX-FIANCE AND NOW I CANNOT GET OUT OF THIS CONTRACT.. HE STUCK ME WITH ALL THE FINIACAL BURDEN.. I AM VERY UPSET BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN TERMIALLY ILL AND OUT OF WORK AND THEY KEEP HARRASSING ME ABOUT THE PAYMENTS. IT DOSENT MAKE ANY SENSE TO ME.. MY EX IS IN THE MILITARY AND I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY CANT GET THEIR MONEY FROM HIM INSTEAD OF KEEP HASSLING ME. THIS COMPANY IS FULL OF IT... I JUST WANT MY NAME OFF THIS CONTRACT.. I FEEL LIKE I HAVE PAID MY HALF OF THIS DEBT HE NEEDS TO BE HANDLED FOR THE REST..
 15th of Mar, 2012 by   unitysoul118@gmail.com 0 Votes
This just happen to us we have paid the monthly mortgage payment timely but fail to pay the maintaince fee timely and were told we foriet our week even if we pay the fee now, my husband is so upset he want to cancel the whold thing he said over a fee and they are getting paid monthly how RUDE
 5th of Apr, 2012 by   AlindaA 0 Votes
I'VE HAD TIMESHARES since 1998--thought i knew it all until i ran up against obc/goldkey ! They tricked us with our week/fee, MAINTENANCE FEE and now, i've just found if i don't continue to pay them--they'll take everything i've got! I had 2 family members as witnesses--they get you by yes, answering all your questions! but when you sign that huge stack of closing papers--not reading each page, which would take HOURS, (and you've already been there FOREVER) --THEY GET YOU THAT WAY! We said over and over we wouldn't do this unless our maintenance fee was around $350 total--we got our bill and it was $665 !!! It included Reserve for Replacement and taxes. I've N E V E R HAD TO PAY R4R OR TAXES before while owning a timeshare! I'm looking for my papers now - but am SURE THEY COVERED THEIR BUTTS!!! It'll be in the fine print somewhere... we're screwed!!! anyone successful in fighting them- count me IN !!! (i THOUGHT I'D SELL TOO- but after reading all the comments, I realize FORGET THAT ! ) linda 804-237-2995 Richmond, VA
 1st of Jun, 2012 by   goldkey customer 0 Votes
.We have a timeshare at gold key resort and that was the biggest mistake I have ever made. These people told me when I got the timeshare that I could change it to anywhere in the world, and every time we call to interval word they do not have anything available. I’m really disappointed with these people. Interval word charge you for everything… we have to buy a membership, and pay for booking, and they only allow you to book with them 60 days, so your chances of finding something are less. We pay $140 every month and $500 for association and $60 to interval word and $170 for booking…that’s like $ 2300 dollars in a year. I could go any where for that money. I have not even use our timeshare because all they have is or out the county or in another state far from us…please if someone read this don’t buy anything from these people. They just one gets your money and than you got to deal with it… we have tried sell it but no one wants it. And we don know what to do….
 5th of Aug, 2012 by   Alex F. 0 Votes
We just bought ours yesterday. What is the proper procedure to get out of this contract and also I gave them cash for a our 10% downpayment?
 13th of Sep, 2012 by   Sally and Bill 0 Votes
We went to the sales pitch in Va Beach. During the 4 hour wrong pitch, I got a bad feeling from the manager. He ended up being very rude and mean. We stuck to our guns, Got our coupons, and left. I feel so sorry for you all. Gold Key are nothing but scammers !!
 26th of Nov, 2012 by   evelyn tanner 0 Votes
I want to get out of this timeshare. ocean beach club will not help unless you intend to upgrade. cannot afford to continue. am thinking about defaulting since I see no other way. if there is another way what is it. must get out
 17th of Dec, 2012 by   JBPay"n 0 Votes
GoldKey is a scam bigger than Bernie Madoff. The next time you're at VB, take a guess at how many employees work for GoldKey and the number of properties they own (or rent?). There are literally dozens of people on every block on the sidewalk trying to lure people (not to mention the travel shops) for the free gifts that come with a presentation. Then think of the cost of all the meals, rooms, and gifts that they give out every day. On top of all of this, I was told that they own over 80% of the oceanfront at Virginia Beach. GoldKey (with the help of local government) has transformed Virginia Beach as we know it. I'm not going to say this is all bad because actually, it is much nicer place to visit now than even ten years ago, but the amount of money that is being spent by GoldKey is MIND BOGGLING! Who pays for all of these salespeople, gifts, support, mailings, etc. Who audits a company like this to ensure that the fees we pay every year aren't spent on selling other properties. Someone should check out the money trail to see how a company can buy a city.
 31st of Jan, 2013 by   jsn3937622 0 Votes
Oh my gosh.. Am getting frustrated bout this timeshare with Goldkeys so I searched on the net and find u all owners who are in thse same mess. I couldn't try to explain myself how stupid we were buying this thing called timeshare. We own this over 2 yrs ago buy never used it since interval doesn't have anything in any place we want to go to and we are international travelers..Asia, Europe, north and South America. We pay $800 for maintenance, $150 for interval membership, then $154 to exchange. Hell thats $1100 a year that I could go anywhere to book a hotel. And if u split ur one week, interval would charge u $154 each time. They also give is extra " free " stay certificate that u can only book it 45 days before u travel and they charge $300 when u book this cert.. This is totally a rip off company n this people who are selling them should be in jail!!! Oh and we paid $16k for OCB WEEK 40.. Cannot even give it away.
 1st of Feb, 2013 by   Rick297 0 Votes
I'm sorry for you guys but Goldkey is known for being a scam. You should get together and do something against those crooks. If it helps, here you will find some good advices about timeshare scams:

Don't let them get you, they're doing this every day

Health Care Reform is Unconstitutional