Posted:

Fraud against customers

4.4
NETZERO
NETZERO.COM
I just signed up for their service yesterday. I phoned them with a question about my $14. 95 per month service. The man, who was from India added a bunch of services on my account without my knowledge. I have been all day trying to cancel them. All i get is the runaround. Even my emails are coming back undelivered and I am using their links. I will cancel my service but unfortunately I used a debit card and I will now have to cancel this card. This company is committing a fraud on a huge scale.
Complaint comments Comments (34) Complaint country United States Complaint category Internet Providers

Comments

6th of Nov, 2006 by    0 Votes

Netzero - Charged doubled amount for three months that I hadn't used them!

Beware of NetZero! I signed up for basic internet service with NetZero for a monthly fee of $10.95. After a few months, I called to cancel my NetZero service because I was moving out of state, and wasn't sure if I wanted to use NetZero in my new location. Three months later, I received a bill from NetZero for not only the three months that I hadn't used them, but they had doubled the price stating that it was for high speed internet and Norton Antivirus. I was outraged. To begin with, the very small town that I lived in when I had NetZero is not equipped for high speed internet, and this was the first time I had even heard of having Norton Antivirus. I called the NetZero number to rectify this matter. The number was answered by a person with a very heavy eastern Indian accent. They took my information, and told me they were transferring me to their customer service department, which I thought I was already talking to. While I waited, I was disconnected. I attempted this task twice, and both times I had to speak to a person with a very heavy eastern Indian accent, and both times I was disconnected. I emailed NetZero and told them what had happened. I received a reply stating that they couldn't cancel my account via an email, and that I needed to call the number that I had already called twice, and been disconnected. I emailed back and explained the problem again, and, as yet, have not received a reply.
 1st of Feb, 2007 by    0 Votes
I purchased NetZero Internet service, with a 30-day money-back guarantee. When I decided that I did not like the service, they would not honor my refund request.

Several of the customer service reps were very rude to me, and they barely spoke English! I couldn't understand what they were even telling me, because they spoke a horrible Middle Eastern broken English language! I truly feel that NetZero needs to have at least one English speaking (one that I can understand) customer service representative, I mean after all, last I checked English is the predominant language spoken in America.

Aside from that, NetZero should have honored my request to cancel service for the following reasons:

1. They promise a money back guarantee if not satisfied (I think 30 days).
2. I requested this cancellation within one week of sign up.
In the end, I had to cancel my credit card that I used, in order to avoid paying for their service.
 28th of Mar, 2008 by    0 Votes

Net Zero
www.netzero.net

I called netzero to set up a dial up month to month service. I checked my billing status and found that netzero had signed me up for hi speed and a 12 month plan. I was also told I would be charged $25 dollars for cancellation. I have repeated their mistake numerous time. Netzero said I authorized this plan. I did not and never would. Netzero is ripping me off. I move often and have a very limited budget. During the conversation with the rep for netzero I repeated all the specifics at least twice. Month to month was agreed to. I used their service about a year ago with the same plan and never had a problem. I am mad and this company is unethical.
 7th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes

Netzero - Unauthorized billing!
Ohio
www.netzero.com

Used netzero for over 3 years, called to cancel account. Two months later account was slammed by company with so called back up service that I never authorized. Trying to cancel account when they slammed me was like pulling teeth. Will never recommend this company to any one. Beware of AOL type slamming from netzero. Very frustrating.
 16th of Sep, 2008 by    0 Votes

47 RIDGE PARK AVE
Cheektowaga
New York
Phone: 716-897-0634

When I go to play the games. For example Saints & Sinners Bingo and I go to sign in a screen comes up - saying clear cookies. Where do I go to do this.
 4th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
Were you aware that these company/companies cover their mics and laugh at us customers? Something has to be done. I have no idea why they are allowed to rip people off in the first place . CALL FCC and BETTER Business Now.( And why are they based in Georgia USA but they tell you USA cant help you)
 24th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
Being a trusting consumer, I gave NetZero a try back in November, after a bad experience with Earthlink, who I had costly issues with.

One month's trial according to them, was to be free. Due to extremely poor service I found another ISP here in Reno (Great Basin), so I cancelled before the trial period was over.

Looking over the last 3 month's bank statements, I've been billed $17.94 monthly from NetZero, not to mention a DOUBLE BILLING for April. Today, I called to report and alert them of their error with no satisfaction. After talking with a lady speaking poor English, she could not help and hurriedly transferred to a "billing" line, which never answered, just rang and rang and rang. Of course, she gratuitously made sure I also had the number before she went off line.

These devious tactics, and customer abuses have to be reported, and followed up until resolved, or they become just statistics as long as there are no actions taken. Decent and unsuspecting consumers deserve better treatment than being victims of such a deceptive and devious form of theft.

Personally, being a survivor of recent and multiple life saving heart surgeries, I have little time nor room in my remaining days for such contrived bullshit. For the most part, life is good. Only, THIS type of theft is seemingly epidemic on the internet.

Beginning at the top, not the bottom, I am first reporting NetZero to the FTC (Federal Trade Commission). Once, previously they did contact me regarding an internet scam they were investiating.

Need I say more? CAVEAT EMPTOR
 29th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes

New Braunfels Bible Church
New Braunfels
Texas

Received unsolicited, unauthorized and fraudulent charges on AmEx bill on 4/23/09, 6/5/09, and 6/22/09 for 14.95 each from "uol netzero internet 866-841-1442". Never have and never will use Net Zero services. Charges came out of nowhere with no contact with NetZero. Disputed with AmEx ongoing.
 5th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes

Netzero - Billed for Netzero usage
5666 CounthyRoad 106 South
Alamosa
Colorado

I just noticed that NetZero charged my credit account $11.90 on August 27 and are charging the same again on September 27. I called and complained that I never opened up an account and do not want to. They said my brother must have used my credit card number. I asked if there was any usage and they said no, but he was just paying for the availability to use their service. I said Tony (Anthony), my brother, died July 6 so he wasn't using it. They said they would cancel the account, but would not reimburse my credit card account for August or September, which I think is unfair.
 24th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes

Colorado

Net Zero has been deducting $14.95 from my account monthly. I called several times to cancel. They have no confirmation of who signed up for the service and would not cancel the account. They instructed me to file a fraud alert with my bank to get my credit back and cancel the account.

Terrible service - Not a reputable firm - Am pursuing legal action for a full refund.
 25th of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes

Netzero - Charged for a 30 day free test.
UOL NETZERO
Los Angeles
California
netzero.com

Signed up for a 30 day test with their product on December 25, 2009. Tried to connect to the internet on a phone line and could not stay connected. I called and cancelled their service over the phone after 6 days. They told me they cancelled the service. I received a credit card bill for $4.95 on March 24, 2010 for their service to February 25, 2010. In calling them bAck to cancel again they informed me the charge was for Norton software they were providing me. I never received any software from them. I acceped this charge by going to them in the first place. They tell me I am cancelled now!!
 10th of Jun, 2010 by    0 Votes

United Online Collections
Lincoln
Texas
Phone: 979-542-9533
cmswilly@hotmail.com

I received a "FINAL NOTICE" for a charge of $18.84 that was taken care of over Two years ago. My grandaughter tried NET Zero, but it would not dial-up from her residence, so we called Net Zero and they told us that there would be no charge because she had it less than a week and could never get on-line with it. That had to have been more than 18 months ago and now we receive this!
I believe these people are fraudulant or ill-advised. They will not get anything from this family other than grief if they continue sending this trash. Sincerely James M Williamson
 13th of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes

Netzero - I was on hold for about an hour
netzero.net

I called to cancel my subscription on April 4th. I was on hold for about an hour because everytime they answered, they would ask me email id, last four digits of my credit card and phone number and then they would transfer me to the cancellation department which never answered until I got disconnected and nobody would pick up and tell me that I would be assisted soon. I repeatedly called and requested to cancel my membership, but they would do the same and whatever I would say they would repeat the same phrase like if it was a recording that they would transfer me to the cancellation department ( even though that was the option I had pressed from the very beginning) and they would not care that I was going to be holding excessively again. Finally the fifth time I called I requested to talk to the supervisor he then said he had cancelled my subscription and that my cancellation number was 029129290 and I asked whether he was sure I would not be charged, he said that I would not be charged and I would receive and email. I called the day after to verify and they said that I would not be charged at all and that no email would be sent...????... I asked the question several times. Today I saw my credit card statement and I was charged $9.95 for this months membership. The service on Netzero is awful. Customer service looks more like a recording than a person and they reallyn dont help. I spent an hour holding two days ago and I keep having a hard time trying to fix this. I will certainly not subscribe here again but I want my money refunded.
 21st of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes

Netzero - Incredibly irresponsible company
netzero.net

On Feb 27, 2006 I signed my mom up with this service using my credit card. Around Feb 2007, knowing that the service was coming to an end (I only paid for 1 year), I signed up with a different internet provider because netzero was constantly disconnecting and my mom was getting really frustrated with it. So we switched to USFAmily.net and have not had one problem with it. Anyway, I was on the netzero website May 2nd, 2007 and noticed that they had put my account as suspended. I was under the impression that if you dont sign up for another year, you dont get billed. Not the case. Now they are showing that I owe them money and have on my account history that they will be sending my account bill to collections. They tried to bill my credit card too without my consent. Thankfully I cancelled that credit card so they were unable to charge it. So I contacted them via email on May 2, 2007 and was told I need to verbally cancel it by phone. This is what the email said:

"We tried to bill your credit card for NetZero Platinum annual service on February 27, 2007, but the charge did not go through. Hence, your account has an outstanding balance of $119.40. Your NetZero Platinum service will be temporarily suspended.

In accordance with our service agreement, cancellations can be made only via telephone."

This is incredibly irresponsible because I never signed up for another year so why do I have to cancel something I didnt sign up for??? Also, I tried to call them and sat on hold forever, so I hung up. I sent them an email back telling them that I didnt pay for another year, didnt sign up for another year and so I shouldnt have to cancel it.
 26th of Jul, 2010 by    -1 Votes
Charged for canceling a contract that did not exist. There was no written contract signed.
 16th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
I have spent all day today trying to figure out how the NETZERO is committing the financial fraud against me and others.

Here is what NETZERO does to rip you off:

Netzero does not care that you want to cancel or already did cancel their account many moths ago, or never had one at all. They pretend that they "misunderstood" and you wish to have even more of their "valuable service". This way the calling center in Philippine (also India or any other place outside the USA) forward their claim to their collecting agency (also located outside of the USA), collecting agency forward now so called "legitimate" claim to the financial institution (yours) inside the U.S.A. The NETZERO in the USA is a registered American company and financial institutions are obligated to answer to this bogus claim, just like to the legal one.
Next step: your financial institution (bank, credit card company) advise you to call the NETZERO internet service provider and resolve this matter with them - or cancel their service. You call NETZERO time and again. Same circle. Than you cancel your credit card, open a card with a new number and you think it's all over. Think again: your next billing statement will have the same charge from NETZERO!
WOW! What a way to trick so many people! Even if NETZERO will return(refund, reimburse) you your money - guess what happened? THE NETZERO have WON! They have used your money to make more money, while you are struggling with the NETZERO FRAUD !

I will pay from now on for the internet or any other online services and purchases with a prepaid cash card. This is the only way to make dishonest people from NETZERO and others to stop enslaving me, my credit card, my bank account ...

Good luck and god bless you all !
 17th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes

Netzero Internet Access - Unauthorized Billing
Tennessee

After cancelling my service with Netzero, they still charged my checking account for service I no longer had. The customer service representative said that I still had Virus protection with them. I told her clearly that the service was bad and I didn't want ANYTHING from them AT ALL. She still acted like she didn't understand and then I put my husband on the phone and he let her have it so that she admitted that I would NOT be charged for anything else and that the account was CLOSED. Netzero is a rip off and should be forced out of business.
 22nd of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes

Netzero - Sent Acc't to Collections Even though Canceled in March 2010
Oregon

On January 19th, 2011 I was sent a collection notice from United Online Collections Division, in regards to a past accouant I have had with NetZero that had been previously canceled back in March 2011.

The notice states that I owe NetZero, $29.90, for an account that was once again, canceled back in March 2011.

I did not have any acknowledgement or even aware of the fact that for some reason was still open. This collection notice has been the first notice from NetZero that I have ever received from them. They have never tried to get a hold of me to let me know that there was even a problem before. I guess I just took it for granted that when I called NetZero and had talked to one of their Customer Service Representatives, that everything was completely canceled and that that would be the end it.

I would like for this amount to be reversed since I had no knowledge of them not completing my cancelation correctly.

I would appreciate a response as to what I need going forward to correct their falsely absentminded allegation of incorrect information.

Thank you for your time.
 23rd of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
I think she might have meant March 2010. Then I think her complaint would make sense.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree