logo

Posted:    Jeff

Gift card scam

NetSpend
Lafayette, Colorado
I received a "gift ATM" card from a family member for $50. I called to activate the card and was told I needed to accept their credit card. They took my Social Security number. The "gift card" was purchased at Albertson's for $9.95. When I received the credit card, I went to my bank and used the ATM machine. I was charged $0.50 for a balance inquiry, $1.50 ATM fee (my bank), $2.00 ATM fee (NetSpend) to withdraw $40.00. Most ATM machines only provide $20.00 bills. So now there is $6.00 left.

I called NetSpend and requested the card to be canceled and the $6.00 sent to me. I was told that they could not do that but I could use an ATM to withdraw the $6.00 for a fee of $2.00. What a ripoff! So this gift of $50.00 turned out to be $40.00 which cost $19.95!!!

Don't give a Netspend gift ATM. It will cost you dearly.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

9th of Sep, 2008 by   edward 0 Votes
Well yeah, I mean ALL gift cards are like that. Next time you get a gift card try to cash it at the grocery store you bought it from or buy something off the internet so you get your full $50 value. Don't go to an ATM to convert it to cash! Silly.
 21st of Jan, 2009 by   Kay 0 Votes
I had a similar experience. It is a rip off service. On top of this, they seem to scam customers wanting to cancel their card. Oncde I caught on to how this gift card worked, I decided to use the balance $$ at a local gas station, and then call to cancel it on this same day. Having carefully left a small positive balance, the Netspend representative told me that the card would automatically cancel once the balance went to zero. Not so! I have been now notified by Netspend that I have a negative balance due to monthly fees. I refuse to pay it, and will have my lawyer father handle it. Dont let this happen to you. Note that a Netspend gift card requires you provide them your personal information before you can use it. The gift is not worth it. Take cash!
 27th of Jun, 2009 by   xoxovampy 0 Votes
Wow, are you serious?

Netspend was never intended to be used as a giftcard. They are certainly NOT gift cards, they are debit cards that can be used as credit cards and function as such.

Visa sells their own gift cards and they do not require personal information of any sort nor a name to be used (although an activation fee is usually paid for by the gifter to make the card able to be used) - They also zero out and you can check your balance online for free. They also come in pre determined money amounts.

Obviously, lawyer daddy didn't teach his daughter to recognize a gift card from a debit card.

Always be aware of what you're using, what you're getting, and what it is. Reading fine print is a great tool, also, maybe drop the gifter a hint that they mislead you and might have accidentally picked up the wrong thing. Obviously they meant well.

It does suck, costly lesson, but anything that requires personal information? Is defintelly not a gift card and something completely different all together.

Also, cancelling the card online would have been a lot better for you, poster #2, you would have received actual confirmation of the account closing.
 10th of Mar, 2010 by   bowowow 0 Votes
The fact is, companies, such as Speedway do indeed give out Netspend cards as giftcards, as rewards for earning points by shopping there. So whether you say it's intended to be one or not, if major corporations are giving them as gifts to customers, yes it is indeed a gift card. At first glance, a $25 Netspend card seems like a better gift choice than the $25 Applebee's card (for example). Many people would rather have the option to do what they want with $25 than only be able to use the money at one restaraunt chain.

I'm glad I googled Netspend and from reading Kay's post regarding hidden fees, I will steer clear of it!

Also, don't you think it's a little low trashing her (completely unprovoked) for having a father who's an attorney? Jealous?

Simple Ways How to Save Calories and Money