logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Hitech Creations/ Aces High
unethical behavior and rip off
2. (0 mins ago)
Not support at all

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

National Magazine Exchange Complaints & Reviews - Big scam!

National Magazine Exchange Contacts & Informations

National Magazine Exchange

Posted:    Judy Moffett

Big scam!

I recently entered a 2 Million dollar sweepstakes by telephone from Clearwater FL (727) 712-0382. They stated that they would send me some magazines to preview with 90 days to cancel and if I did not cancel I would be charged 67.00 every 4 months. Within 2 days they charged my card 67.08, then another 67.08 within a month.

They also sent me a Value Plus letter for $40.00 in gas with a non existent website to claim the 40.00. Value Plus charged me $1.00. I called National Magazine Exchange and they we VERY rude!!! I kept telling her that I wanted to be credited and cancel these magazines, which I never received in the first place. She said I signed up for FOUR Years!!! What a joke. I kept telling her to cancel this and credit me my $134.00 - and her response was how much trouble it was to get the magazines & make the labels.

Finally after about 30 minutes she said she will refund my money, 'good luck on the sweepstakes', then slammed down the phone. I doubt if this will be this easy to get my money back--so beware of this scam.
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of May, 2009 by   marie 0 Votes
I got this off another website and thought this was interesting...let me give you my thoughts...

This was what was written by an employeem ofNME:

I work as a billing supervisor for the company in question. A few things...

1) The sweepstakes is fully legitimate.

my thoughts: (ummmm ok...)

2) It's 'Buyers are liars.' We ask specific questions in the call. People don't listen, and so when asked later, they give a contrary answer. For instance, if you don't have a credit card, you won't be transferred to a billing supervisor. However, lots of people say they a credit card, and then when they get a supervisor, 'I didn't tell them I have a credit card!'

my thoughts: (If you are asked if you have a credit card the normal response if you do would be "yes" and since when is you saying you have a credit card agreeing to order??? this comment in itself shows just how rude and how quickly these people point the finger)

3) Payments CANNOT be processed unless YOU give your account information. BEFORE you are every ASKED for your billing info, you are informed SEVERAL times that you are PURCHASING a magazine package.

my thoughts: (If the person is kept on the phone for a half hr which I have read is about the average, obveously they might give in just to shut the person up especially if they are sent to a billing supervisor who will make it sound like you already agreed to purchase and send you your "free" trial anyways only to make it neer imposable to cancel)

4) Every sale is RECORDED and AUDITED. If you do NOT provied your EXPLICIT consent, the sale is cancelled, and you are NOT billed. We have a list of specific, acceptable 'yes' words which MUST be given in response to certain question during billin confirmation. Everything is explained to each potential buyer a MINIMUM of two times during confirmation.

my thoughts: (ok then WHAT ARE THE SPECIFIC words that can be used against us if they wernt so underhanded this would be disclosed and the info is given a minimum of two times? or more as they try to get you to say one of these words on ther "list")

5) We are only required to attempt a sell THREE TIMES, NOT FIVE. If you don't like being sold to, try hanging up the phone. If you can't figure out that someone giving away a million dollars may try to SELL you something, you're a disgrace to American common sense.

my thoughts: (again just another example of there RUDE nature...if the unknowing consumer was already sent to a pushy billing supervisor claiming that they agreed to place the order because they said a word on ther "list" than hanging up doesnt seem like it is going to save you)
6) There is no 'left out' information. I am familiar with all of the various billing scripts in use. The only 'difference' is that the verifiers and billing supervisors tell them the total cost of the package and the payment plans. However, they tell them this BEFORE they request any billing information!

my thoughts: ( a glorified version that really does not give a whole picture of the purchase)

7) Depending on which way you pay, you end up getting, essentially, either 5 or 7 magazines for the price of ONE.

my thoughts: (this one made me laugh because what other way is there to pay besides having them bill you after you might of "placed your order")

Now, where's the scam?

my thoughts: (I would say all over this employees letter)
 20th of May, 2009 by   no name +1 Votes
I AM A FORMER EMPLOYEE OF NME FOR THE PEOPLE THAT SAY THEY ARE BEING SCAM WE ARE NOT SCAMING YOU GUYS PEOPLE DO WIN THE SWEEPSTAKES I SHOULD KNOW I BEEN THERE FOR A COUPLES OF THE WINNERS WHAT WE SAY ARE TRUE AND YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY THE MAGAZINES IF YOU DO NOT WANT MAGAZINES DONT PICK THEM OUT, DONT GIVE OUT YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER OR BANK NUMBER JUST KEEP SAYING NO OR EVEN BETTER YET HUNG UP YOU CANT BE CHARGE IF YOU DONT GIVE OUT YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER OR CHECKING INFO IF ARE NOT ON LINE THAN HOW CAN WE CHARGE YOU OR GET THE INFO FROM THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING BEFORE YOU DO IT AND YOU WONT FEEL SCAM
 20th of May, 2009 by   edboogie2004 -1 Votes
Here's my thing, no name: When I received a letter in the mail a few years ago for a sweepstakes, I was calling NME to enter in my id number for that sweepstakes. I was not calling in to hear a sales pitch. The only reason I continued to stay on the phone with them is because I was naive at the time and didn't want to be rude. Plus by the way the sales rep was sounding, it sounded like a pretty good deal. I was told to pick two subscriptions at half price, they would throw in four more subscriptions for free and give me a men's and women's gold watch, okay. Instead I got signed up for nine subscriptions, most of which came with two year contracts or longer. On top of that, I was also told I could cancel at ANY time, but after receiving my first bill of $67.08, I tried calling to cancel and got hungup on--twice. And needless to say, I never did get those watches so don't tell me they're not a scam because they are. This company goes by many different nicknames, they fit the description on edumacation.com almost exactly, they are banned from the state of Oregon, they've been sued by AARP, and I think if I'm not mistaken they have a turnover ratio of 400% during a year's time. This company is targeting the elderly who just simply want some attention from anyone, the naive (which was me), and minorities who are struggling financially and just want a chance to make some money. They need to be shut down... or frankly worse.
 20th of May, 2009 by   no name +1 Votes
HERES MY THING EDBOOGIE2004 LIKE I SAID BEFORE IF YOU DIDNT WANT TO BE RUDE AND HANG THAN YOU SHOULD HAVE KEPT SAYING NO NO NO WE ONLY TRY TO OFFER MAGAZINES SO MANY TIMES AND WHEN IT COME TO CREDIT CARDS OR BANK INFOMATION THATS YOUR MONEY YOU DONT LET KNOW ONE TELL YOU WHAT TO BUY WITH YOUR MONEY UNLESS YOU WANT WHATS OFFERED TO YOU.YOU SAID IT SOUNDED LIKE A GOOD DEAL SO THERE FOR YOU WANTED IT . IF YOU WANTED TO CANCEL AND THEY HUNG UP ON YOU YOU CONTINUE TO CALL UNTIL YOU CAN GET UP TO THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF MANAGEMENT OR THERE IS AN ADDRESS ON THE LETTER THAT YOU CAN WRITE TO AND SOMETHING DOES GET DONE ABOUT IT. ABOUT THE WATCH IF YOU DID NOT SEND THE LETTER THAT WE SENT YOU ASKING WHAT TYPE OF WATCHES YOU WANT A MEN OR LADIES MODEL BACK TO THE ADDRESS ASKED TO BE SENT TO THAN YOU WONT GET IT A MANAGER TELLS YOU THAT BEFORE YOU GET OFF LINE. WE DONT TARGET PEOPLE WE JUST SEND SWEEPSTAKES LETTERS ACROSS THE U.S ITS YOUR CHOICE IF YOU WANT TO CALL AND ENTER THE SWEEPSTAKE AND HEAR THE PITCH IF NOT THROW THE CARD AWAY AND DONT CALL AT ALL IF YOU THINK ITS A SCAM.
 21st of May, 2009 by   edboogie2004 0 Votes
Look mother fucker! As I said, they had me thinking it was actually a good deal on the phone and as I also said, I was naive at the time.. you know as in didn't know any better. It happened, I got ripped off, "it is what it is." Now move on. The only reason I even came on here was to find out if there was a class action suit against them, because I want to be first to sign up for that shit. And for you to continue to argue for this bullshit company as if they are legitimate just indicates to me that you are a piece of shit! There is so much evidence and so many thousands of complaints against this company, it's unbelievable. Just google it, it's everywhere. Now step the fuck off mother fucker!
 21st of May, 2009 by   marie 0 Votes
Hi edboogie I think that it is pretty funny that no name is attacking you when he/she has no response to the questions I raised in my last post. These people are desperate to keep there jobs and will argue to the bitter end that this company is legit. No name respond to my last post or are your answers posted here scripted as well???
 21st of May, 2009 by   edboogie2004 0 Votes
Yeah and what's worse is that this person is a former employee. I'm a little curious to know why this person is no longer employed with this company but continues to defend them. Here are my sources for what I was referring to before about the AARP lawsuit, and 400% turnover rate.

/URL removed/#270543 (under the heading: Why the huge employee and management turnover?)
*I can't find the Oregon bans NME source, but I saw it before.

Some of those employees (obvioulsy not all) are pathetic sociopaths: "Buyers are liars".. what kind of slogan is that!?
 22nd of May, 2009 by   NO NAME 0 Votes
LOOK HERE EDBOOGIE2004 I DID NOT CALL YOU OUT OF YOUR NAME SO PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL AND DO NOT CALL ME OUT OF MINE YOU STATED YOU OPION AND I STATED MINE I NEVER ADDRESSED YOU I JUST STATED WHAT I KNOW AND HOW I FEEL ABOUT THE COMPANY AND YOU ADDRESSED ME I AM NOT ARGUEING FOR ANYBODY I AM JUST STATING HOW I FEEL LIKE YOU STATED YOU FEEL AGAIN AND AS FAR AS MARIE GOES DID YOU SEE ME ATTACK HIM READ WHAT I SAID AND I ADDRESS HIM ONLY WHEN HE ADDRESS ME AND STILL THERE WAS NO NAME CALLING FROM ME SO LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU DEFINE OF ATTACKING IS. I DID NOT RESPONSE TO ANYONE COMMENT BECAUSE WHAT YOU SAY IS WHAT YOU SAY I CAN NOT CHANGE YOUR MIND OR HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT THE COMPANY BUT I CAN VOICE MY OPION WHAT I SAY IS NOT SCRIPTED THANK YOU. OH YEAH AND ED BOOGIE2004 I AM A FORMER EMPLOYEE BECAUSE I HAVE A BETTER JOB MAKING MORE MONEY I WAS WORKING THERE WHILE I WAS IN COLLEGE AND NOW I AM A PARA LEGAL SO THATS YOUR ANSWER IF I WASN'T MAKING MORE MONEY I WOULD STILL BE THERE BECAUSE THAT WAS GOOD MONEY AS WHILE. JUST LIKE THERE ARE THOUSAND COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE COMPANY THERE ARE ALSO THOUSANDS OF COMPLIMENTS SO GOOGLE THAT.
 23rd of May, 2009 by   edboogie2004 0 Votes
What exactly do I need to put in the search? I tried "National Magazine Exchange compliments", "..awesome", "i love...", but I've had no success with any of those searches. I will say that I have seen some people say that they've had no problems with the company but those people are outnumbered I would guesstimate 4 to 1. "Thousands of compliments" seems like a bit of a stretch. I'm glad you had a nice experience working there and good luck with your paralegal career, but how do you explain such a high turnover rate, the C- from the BBB, the constant lawsuits, the $535, 000 fine from the FTC, and show me some legitimate "compliments" and/or awards/accolades that this company has won then I'll consider saying that this is a legitimate well respected company. Oh and also address the "buyers are liars" slogan too. Just put your sources in comment. Thanks.
 23rd of May, 2009 by   edboogie2004 0 Votes
Oh also address why there are so many nicknames for this company too. Thanks.
 2nd of Jun, 2009 by   jjonescomplains 0 Votes
My wife got her "Official Prize Listing" yesterday, I figured it had to be a scam, First I've never heard of this company before and Second they are big enough to offer $2, 100, 000.00??? Common!!! Googled the name and nearly every site is screaming scam... People should really think if it's too good to be true it probably is... and if you've never heard of the company or organization check them out, just cause I say my name is Max doesn't mean it is... Check with your local postal inspector they are very interested in mail fraud and if you think ID theft is big you should REALLY speak with your postal inspector, also know the laws regarding lottery and prize givaways through the mail, there are laws, and they can be and are broken...
 12th of Jun, 2009 by   crystalshadow319 0 Votes
I agree that it is a scam. If it wasnt, then why would one of the employees get on here just to insult ppl who have been complaining. Im sure your boss would not care, but I have a feeling that the BBB and FTC would LOVE to see proof of how you treat your customers. If I really cared enough, and I had been scammed, I would hire a lawyer and sue the hell out of those ppl. There is a news article on here that says they cannot even do business in Florida bc it has been shown to be a scam and the state will not tollerate them. If they do it there, they will lose their business lisence. Sound like it is a good company? I think not. I am going to report that comment by the employee and direct the state of SC to get rid of this. Gosh I just LOVE LOVE LOVE it when companies put their foot in their mouths!
 17th of Jul, 2009 by   Rhonni 0 Votes
Oh Yes! The National Magazine Exchange is a Consumer Fraud, not only do they sign you up for a subscription, and tell you your entered in their two million dollars sweepstakes, but a month down the road, just when you think you paid your subscription their representatives are back calling your house trying to harass you into a second subscription. So you try and tell them your not interested but they don't take no for an answer, and when you tell them you already have a subscription with them and it's paid in full, you hear a click and down goes the phone until the next time. Don't fall in the trap of these money hungry grubs. Oh and if you try and cancel with them they put on some sob story, that the publishers made the order and they can't back out. What a scam!
 20th of Jul, 2009 by   edboogie2004 0 Votes
Wow, I didn't even get a sob story, they just hung up on me--twice.
 21st of Jul, 2009 by   jaifromwi -1 Votes
Wow, you people really are stupid (and I mean that in the nicest way possible considering). I'm 21 and I'm smart enough to know this whole letter is BS. I just got my letter in the mail today and decided to google it (because I've received similar and love hearing about how people actually bought into these scams). How on earth can you people be so dumb? First of all, 2.1MIL?! WHO THE HELL HAS THAT KIND OF MONEY TO JUST GIVE AWAY?!?! Second of all, it says on the bottom of the letter (at least on mine) that you will be offered a discount magazine package, which obviously means they're going to try and sell you something. Third of all, WHAT KIND OF SMART PERSON GIVES THEIR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION ON THE PHONE TO SOMEONE WHO THEY DON'T KNOW, ISN'T REPUTABLE, AND WHEN THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE COMPANY?!?! Don't say you didn't consent to buying these magazines, because when you start rolling off those credit card numbers, that is giving consent. You obviously want to buy something if you're willing to give a complete stranger, over the phone and not validated, your personal information. THINK NEXT TIME, PLEASE!!

I really feel sorry for your guys' losses, but you really did bring this on yourselves. Also, I sincerely doubt the sweepstakes actually exists. They just want to con you into buying some of their stupid, overpriced magazines so they can get paid at the end of the day.
 21st of Jul, 2009 by   edboogie2004 0 Votes
On behalf of everyone on here that got ripped off, shut the hell up and don't judge us. Unless you know every single person's circumstances AND you're perfect yourself, you have no right to be calling us 'stupid'. The important issue here is that this company needs to be shut down and I've been saying that for months. Good for you that you saw through their scam but that doesn't make you superior. And I don't appreciate you trying to call me stupid when I was 17 at the time that I fell for their scam and didn't know better.
 24th of Aug, 2009 by   Tgirlz 0 Votes
They are probably on the border of legit.

My complaint is that soon after I subscribed, I got a letter "SORRY! we can't get THAT Magazine" we are going to substitute ___ some crap I didn't want.

So, I stopped paying hoping the magazines would stop.. in 2 or 3 months I was out over $100 anyhow...

well.. I did just settle with their lawyer/collection agency for half...

Be warned... unless you want random magazines... leave this company, and their sweeps alone.
 24th of Aug, 2009 by   edboogie2004 0 Votes
Tgirlz, if you would've found this site sooner, you could've read my posts from the past and you could've avoided paying all together. I simply had my account connection with NME froze so that they couldn't take any more money from me. Then when the "collection" letters came, I ignored them because frankly I'm not even sure if they are a legitimate collection company. There's rumors on the web that they're not but I'm not completely certain either way. Regardless, I too got their offer to settle for half but there's not a chance in hell I'm going to pay. Eventually they just give up trying to collect. I think you should've just ignored them.
 28th of Aug, 2009 by   kitschbiotch 0 Votes
I've been working for the company since March, and have been for the most part very happy, and the part I haven't been happy about is my own fault -- slow-tracked due to some spotty attendance, etc. The phrase I like to think of in relation to the company sometimes is, "You're in the Army now, " because it is run with a steely cold efficiency that is breathtaking to behold. Actually, one might say one is in the ultra-Army, because the Army seems to be a pretty disorganized place in some ways, at least in comparison to this one, where everything can be accessed and tracked with the touch of a computer key and has simple, beautiful logic.

I have searched my soul a little bit over the issue of what the pink letter says, and, yes, it is somewhat misleading; that is, it is possible to think by reading it that that you have won something, only to be disappointed when you call in. But, for the most part, people who call seem to understand that there is no way they would have won $2.1 million out of the blue, but rather that this is a free sweepstakes entry.

I would not worry nearly so much about an elderly parent communicating with NME as with a certain publishers' clearinghouse, and sweepstakes that charge to enter. My darling mother gets a letter almost daily from Publishers Clearinghouse, and, unfortunately, in her attempts to put the stamp in the right place to send her entry back in, has inadvertently ended up ordering something. I don't mean to be catty, but that one or one like it is where she paid $25 for three dish towels. They're nice dish towels. But, like most dish towels, they shrink in the wash.

She also has to put a stamp on the entry, which adds up to about $2.50 a week if she were to do so every day, which would be $125 a year. That's about twice what we charge for I don't know how many magazines! (I work on the order-taking side, but I believe you can get many more than three magazines, depending on how long you sign up for.) Thank goodness she doesn't get those notices asking for $19.95 to enter a sweepstakes, or $1, 400 to supposedly get a check for $1 million! I get people asking me if I think those contests are legit. Again, I don't wish to be catty. But, uh, I think no.

The point is that the company is pretty legit, and has all kinds of checks and balances in place to stay that way. (You get fined something like $12 out of your paycheck if you don't say "no purchase or payment required" if someone asks if they have to buy magazines, for instance.) I think people who call in to mess with us, or who complain too much, are sometimes just jealous. I mean, I would be, too, if I had wanted to be an entrepreneur. The concept is simple, and genius. We are the Microsoft of magazine sales.

Yes, if you're worried your mother is going to buy everything she is called about, monitor her credit card usage. But, remember, we don't call you, you call us. It says on the pink letter who we are, where we are -- as a consumer who posted here noted, that's a good sign. If your mother orders magazines, she actually gets something for her money, and you can always call back and change them or have them sent to your house if she doesn't need them. And the price is very fair -- my breath was again taken away when I interviewed and was told how much we would be charging.

I only recently discovered that my dear mother, again, is signed up with some magazine company that is charging her twice what she would pay for her art magazine if she were to order it directly from the magazine. You can't even get hold of these people to find out what else she's paying double for -- I'm going to have to write to them and hope they'll respond. They seem very legit, too, but, with us, all you have to do is call back to get a hold of us, and we charge far, far less than what the magazines go for on the newsstands, sometimes far, far less than what their in-house subscription rates are. Sometimes people are like fish jumping out of the water to snap up this offer, and even in a recession our reasonably-priced magazines can entertain and inform -- and expand minds.

I'm sure there could be all kinds of complaints about advertising in the magazines (there isn't any on cable, right?) and using paper (my city recycles them), and those are valid points. But until we're all walking around with book-sized phones that are also laptops at a reasonable price -- if you want to be mad at somebody, get mad at the lockhold the cell phone companies have us in pricewise -- magazines are probably here to stay. And if you call NME, you know you'll get fair value and pleasant customer service. At the end of the day, that's about all that can be expected out of any American company. And, oh, by the way, you're buying American ... and talking to Americans sitting in a call center in America who are feeding their families and staying off the dole. P.S. I don't sell to little old ladies who don't seem to have all their marbles. And I have only run into one of those so far. You would not believe the little old ladies and men I talk to every day who are in their 70's, 80's ... and 90's! ... who are still working and sharper than I am! Good reading to you.
 3rd of Sep, 2009 by   ollieman 0 Votes
Laura -- if you revisit this site, could you be specifc about how the company "pushes out" employees rather than firing them? Examples? Thanks so much. I feel that's happening to me now -- and I'm a good employee!!! :( Feel like my sales are being given to someone else. Am I being paranoid? Thanks if you can answer.

Avoid Seasonal Tax Scams