logo

Betty's teacup yorkies
Selling sick puppies
2. (17 mins ago)
swellshoesmall.com
They promised money back, but it was lie
3. (19 mins ago)
scam ?

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

National Magazine Exchange Complaints & Reviews - Big scam!

National Magazine Exchange Contacts & Informations

National Magazine Exchange

Posted:    Judy Moffett

Big scam!

I recently entered a 2 Million dollar sweepstakes by telephone from Clearwater FL (727) 712-0382. They stated that they would send me some magazines to preview with 90 days to cancel and if I did not cancel I would be charged 67.00 every 4 months. Within 2 days they charged my card 67.08, then another 67.08 within a month.

They also sent me a Value Plus letter for $40.00 in gas with a non existent website to claim the 40.00. Value Plus charged me $1.00. I called National Magazine Exchange and they we VERY rude!!! I kept telling her that I wanted to be credited and cancel these magazines, which I never received in the first place. She said I signed up for FOUR Years!!! What a joke. I kept telling her to cancel this and credit me my $134.00 - and her response was how much trouble it was to get the magazines & make the labels.

Finally after about 30 minutes she said she will refund my money, 'good luck on the sweepstakes', then slammed down the phone. I doubt if this will be this easy to get my money back--so beware of this scam.
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

7th of Oct, 2006 by   Jessica Andrews 0 Votes
By any change do you have that number. They same thing is happening to my and I was never given a number to cancel. Please let me know. Thank you
 19th of Oct, 2006 by   ida 0 Votes
Thanks for sharing your experience. I got the same pink letter from National Magazine Exhange today and honestly almost make call to enter the sweepstakes. But i did research first, instead make call and now i find out the truth they are scam. Again ..thank you.
 19th of Dec, 2006 by   anonymous +1 Votes
Wow, really can't believe how incredibly stupid you people are--It isn't a scam, the swepstakes is legitimate. Strike it Rich IV is conducted on a two year duration and is run/monitored by two separate legal fims to ensure full compliance with the law, and no you don't have t buy the magazines to get into it, all you have to do is call th number on the mail peice. And by the way it says we are trying to reach you regarding your two million dollar sweepstakes....NOT We are trying to reach your regarding your two million dollars. God If you people pulled your heads out of your butts long enough to pay attention to wha is right in front of you then you probably wouldn't have agreed to buy the magazines in the first place. But you did! and who's fault is that? Before you can be in the Reader's exchange Program you have to give your credit card number to them, and then agree several times on digital recording in order to even be signed up for the magazines...They go over the billing many times. As fo the billing you have 48 months of service with the easy payment plan of 4 consecutive monthly payments of 67.08 each, and after the 4th payment you are paid in full for the entire 48 moths of service. With your permission we will autimatically bill the membership to the card you provided today Okay? It's your own stupid fault for not listening to what you were being told--Oh and Jessica says she was never given a cancelation number...well Jessica the cancelation number is in your membership materials, (which should arive with 7-10 days) and if you stop to read them you would see that. I am sick to death of you people not listening to what you are told repeatedly--and then complaining about it later because you made a mistake. First off if you give your card to a fast-food place, a convience store, wal-mart even you are automatically put on a list. Now that's how you end up with junk mail. Second of all I don't know about you but whenever I give out my credit card number I am all ears. I want to know exactly what is going to happen, because it is my money on the line...(and actually I do know about you because you clearly are complete idiots for giving numbers over the phone, without knowing the biling).
I've said my peace....(Oh and I will probably never check this again so feel free to tare me a new one, in fact I invite people to try and discredit me....)
 26th of Dec, 2006 by   alexandria 0 Votes
WOW!! Judy.... I think you might have misunderstood when we told you $67.00....its not $67...its $67.08
And whats 8 cents?? You are on a recording... and you had to have said yes to being billed $67.08
And you were on a recording to have 48months of service.. which btw is 4 years.. if you didn't want 4years you should have told the supervisor this. But its your own damn fault that you didn't. And now you want to whine and complain about how much we are rude. How about how you act? Its not our fault that you people don't listen.. and want to make it seem as though we are ripping you people off. Why don't you clean out your ears and listen closely next time.
We are just doing our job, which is legit.
 19th of Mar, 2007 by   Allison 0 Votes
I called in to sign up for the sweepstakes, the ladies on the phone were very polite and talkative. I knew what I was getting in to, and a few weeks after making the decision to sign up for the magazines I decided to cancel. I called and the call was very short. I was very pleased with the response from the company. All in all, my experience with them has been very pleasant. I was given a cancellation number, and the woman on the phone (although sounding disappointed) was more than willing to cancel my account. She told me I would be credited my money, and within hours it was.
 30th of Mar, 2007 by   M.A.T. 0 Votes
I called and signed up. I admit I was a little leary at first. But, after asking them several questions about their company, including where their offices were (if you ask someone who is sitting in another country, they will dodge the question and change the subject), so I felt comfortable about getting involved with their program. I also received 3 extra subscriptions and extra freebies from having a really nice conversation with the sales manager. So, for the money, I made out and completely understood what I was signing up for. Now if I just had the time to read all of them! I've even called and changed a couple of my subscriptions and found them to be very pleasant. The other posters are right - you should pay more attention to what you are doing, especially when you give out your credit card info! It's just plain common sense. There are too many people out there who never want to take responsibility for their own actions and rather blame their mistakes/misunderstandings on someone else.
 4th of Apr, 2007 by   Adam 0 Votes
Thanks for sharing your information . I got the pink letter from National Magazine Exchange today and they typed to me that "we were trying to reach you regarding your 2.100.000.00 sweepstakes" and they asked me to call them and they also gave me an ID Number.

Really I don't believe that, it should be something else is hidden although they said there's no purchases required to enter or win.

the puzzle is solved, they needed to get some money monthly by giving them your Credit Card Number. So I am not gonna sign up. Thank you that's so scam!!!
 13th of Apr, 2007 by   Aaron Tuttle 0 Votes
I think that I fell into the scam to but I agreed to buy these worthless magazines that I still receive and haven't paid anything over a year. I paid my bill, at least I thought, until I received another bill in the mail about one full year after thinking I had already paid. I called the company with no talking to a human on the phone, I wrote 2-3 letters asking if I had any debt to let me know so I could take care of it, with no response. So assumed everything was taken care of. Until I had a debt collector calling me saying that it the outstanding bill was turned over to them. And still can't find out where to contact NME.

If you can help me in anyway contact them so I can yell, I would appreciate it. I know it probably won't due any good, but I at least want my free 2 night stay in Vegas I was promised!
 17th of May, 2007 by   Jimmy John +2 Votes
F*ck national magazine exchange!!! And everybodies money they took!!!
 25th of Jun, 2007 by   Mindy 0 Votes
I called them also about the sweepstakes. i agreed to get the magazines. They told me about 50.00 but when my husband came home we called the credit card company and they charge me 90.00 for the mags. I then call the company to cancel everything they said ok gave receipt # saying that the money would return to my money. Well they did not give back the money but instead sent another bill now for 150.00. So to all you people out there i would never buy from these people again. They talk way to fast on the line that you can't under stand anything they say. Will be calling again and try to get to a supervisor
 3rd of Jul, 2007 by   christina 0 Votes
I had the same exact thing happen to me. WHAT A SCAM!!! They never take no for an answer. They try to make you think that you actually WON something, but you don't win anything. and i told them I didn't want any magazines and they kept pushing. And the rep that called me said if i don't like it i would get a refund in a month. So i call there a week later and they said they can't do a refund.

RIP OFF!!! Don't fall for it!
 11th of Aug, 2007 by   GMatthews 0 Votes
Me dummy. I was on my computer when taking this call, so I should have done the checking right then. Anyway, after reading all the posts, I called my credit card company and canceled the card. Man, they had already posted two charges! Tomorrow will call the cancellation number and see what they say. I won't have any more charges, and the two will be removed by cc company.
 10th of Sep, 2007 by   caca +1 Votes
Big Scam! You only need to know this: They cannot add this to your credit report, they cannot send you to the court but they send this to a collection agency. They are going to call you 3 times at with by law (Depends of the state, FDPA Federal Debt Collection Practice Art law) and they are going to send you several bills and letters. Don´t pay the bill, i work for a collection agency and i know about this business.
 13th of Sep, 2007 by   Current employee 0 Votes
Please don't blame the people on the other end for not taking no for an answer. It's not our choice; we either keep pushing, or we get written up, or we could even lose our jobs over it. I would recommend that, before you give your card information out over the phone, make sure you understand completely what all the charges will be. You can also ask for the employee's first and last name, as well as the employee number, so if there is any rudeness on the part of the employee, you can report them to a supervisor.
 26th of Sep, 2007 by   Muncherflesh Chalkwhite 0 Votes
I ordered "ONE" magazine subscription and have been receiving others I never ordered and got charged for the same. I have attempted to cancel having no results. I have absolutely NO intention of paying for anything I never ordered. National Magazine Exchange is a HOOK leading into false charges and an assortment of other misleading items than never pan out. Now I have a huge bill from NME demanding that I pay for the magazines I never ordered but received anyway. I will NEVER order ANYTHING of the kind EVER AGAIN!
 29th of Sep, 2007 by   LOL at current employee 0 Votes
Current employee---your company calls my cell phone every 2 hours M-Sat from 9AM-5PM. This has been going on for 2 weeks now. At this point, do you think I care if you lose your job, since your job is basically to harass people by calling them repeatedly on a daily basis? Nay, on the contrary, I hope that you are the one calling me and wasting your time every day and that your family loses their house, vehicles, and even starves because you have no tact. Calling somebody every 2 hours for days on end is NOT, repeat NOT, the way to do business. If your company was reputable, you wouldn't have to resort to this kind of low-brow drudgery to get customers. Hope you miss your quota because of me and are fired, sheesh even collecting unemployment is more honorable than what you people do. Have a nice day!
 5th of Nov, 2007 by   Laura +1 Votes
Just quit the company, after finding a real job. Most of us workers get lured in by their sales pitch on US, but then we find out how unethical and stupid the script is, and quit. Those that stay are repeatedly threatened, harassed and attacked by bosses of all levels for not sticking to script. Oh, they don't call YOU, you call them. Nobody calls you unless you initiate contact first. There are duplicate promotions out there, so if you get called, it's another company.

As for the sweeps, you have a better chance of landing on the moon or being crowned Queen of England, than winning that thing. If you cannot resist and enter, tell them to put you on the "no call" list, or your information can be shared with other companies.

In my opinion, SDP needs to shape up or ship out. In training, we were taught "Some will, some won't, who cares ? Who's next?" With that kind of attitude, they produce cookie cutter reps, who, if they don't do as they're told, get threatened like crazy. Truth is, you'd have to be a total moron to actually be fired by this place. They don't want to pay for Unemployment so they just try to pressure people out. Nothing about this company is kind or merciful. I was a verifier (a level above the people who answer the phones), and it was the most horrific job I've ever had. It was just a bridge job until I found better..and actually, flipping burgers at a fast food joint would be better than this place. Just say "no" to calling and/or applying to work at this place. I am happy free of their tentacles, forever.

Laura
 22nd of Jan, 2008 by   carlos 0 Votes
I called to bother the people there a little and figure out how they got my name and address. After being transferred three times and being put on hold for a total of about 6 minutes, they told me to send a letter to the company so they can respond to me through mail.
Peace
 2nd of Feb, 2008 by   Jon +2 Votes
Do not, under any circumstances, deal with this company. Do NOT sign up for a magazine subscription, because in spite of whatever they may say to you, you can not actually cancel your subscription at any time for a refund. I have tried several times, and they say the same thing about supposedly "not taking cancellation orders over the phone." I did not believe this for a second so I kept trying and I was eventually told that they would cancel and refund my money, but it never actually happened.

Do yourself a favor and give your money to a more legitimate business that actually cares about customer satisfaction.
 6th of Feb, 2008 by   Young and Nieve 0 Votes
All these companies like NME want is money even when you lose your job. I was fresh out of High school and have problems saying no (inherited family trait) it took 5 times calling before they finally canceled my subscriptions.

Perfect Food Company Scams!

Latest Groups