logo

scam

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

National Home Protection, New York Complaints & Reviews - Intimidating behavior and non-service!

National Home Protection Contacts & Informations

National Home Protection

Posted:    R Garg

Intimidating behavior and non-service!

National home Protection
New York
James Monroe in accounting department is threatening me to put a lien on my house if I did not pay $1550. I did not cancel my contract but he still wants to charge $750 for contract cancellation fee. I DID NOT initiate the chargeback on my credit card. My credit card company made a mistake and they have corrected it once James Monroe informed me about it. NHP has received the money but James Monroe still wants to cancel my contract without my approval. Here is the email from him:

From: NHP Home Warranty [mailto:info@NationalHomeProtection.com]
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 12:40 PM
To: rgarg_1@yahoo.com; rgarg@yahoo.com; Garg, Rajesh
Cc: Victor Hakim; James Monroe; Jonathan Bradbury; Regina Johnson
Subject: NHP ACCT: 264131473

Please be aware due to the chargeback initiated on your visa card, National Home Protection will be placing your account in collections for the amount of $1550.00. We will also be placing a contractor lien on your home in the amount of $1550.00. You have 30 days to remit payment via check of $1550.00 to the address below. THIS IS A FINAL ORDER.

Claim 163969: $245.00
Claim 163969: $350.00
Claim 187242: $205.00
Contract cancellation fee: $250 per term. Total $750.00
Claim 203300: $300 - CHECK CANCELED.
Home Depot Gift Cards: $150 - CANCELED

TOTAL DUE TO NATIONAL HOME PROTECTION $1550.00

WE WILL PURSUE THIS TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REPORTING TO ALL 3 MAJOR CREDIT BUREAUS WELL AS PLACING LIENS FOR REPAIRS.

National Home Protection, Inc.
42 West 38th Street
New York, NY 10018
Tel: 800.608.6045
www.NationalHomeProtection.com
Comments United States Home Insurance / Warranty
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

27th of Feb, 2008 by   michael jr. 0 Votes
I agree, don't have anything to do with this company. Been waiting for over 4 months for them to replace my stove and microwave. Stll get it's going to be 2-12 weeks., It's on back order.

It would be better to throw your money in the fireplace and burn it, than purchase a warrenty from National Home Protection.
 16th of Mar, 2008 by   Maureeen 0 Votes
I paid for a 5 year plan. I never received my 5 Home Depot Gift Cards. I sent an email to Disputes - which said to fax the attached form (I did that on the 28th of February, 2008. Ironically, their email said they would then "expedite" my cards.

I want to cancel but don't know who to write to.
 23rd of Mar, 2008 by   Mike 0 Votes
I am sorry to hear about all the bad experiences with this company. I am shopping for a warranty company and the information you all have provided will spare me and countless others from having to go through what you all have been enduring.

THANK YOU.
 1st of Apr, 2008 by   B Cox 0 Votes
Here I thought I was doing a smart thing by getting a home warranty plan only to have the first problem I encounter be "rejected" as not being covered. The policy may actually state that in legalese, but the way I read it my issue should be covered. Never mind that they didn't advise me of this when I called the first time to file the claim - or the second time when I called to get the name of the plumber to whom my claim had been referred. Only when I called back the third time to tell them that the plumber to whom they allegedly assigned my claim says he won't do work for National Home Protection any more was I told by the CSR that my problem wasn't covered...

Next time I google the company before I buy, not after I encounter a problem. Stupid me.
 7th of Apr, 2008 by   Saam Naghdi 0 Votes
They are the worst company I have ever had to deal with. They have yet to make one repair at my house. there is never a supervisor. I have left over 2 dozen messages and have not recieved one phone call from them. I agree with the gentleman that said throwing your money in the furnace is better than purchasing a home warranty from this company.
 14th of Apr, 2008 by   Vamsi 0 Votes
Man, I am lso an Unfortunate victim of this fradulent company, I am tried to reach tem oN friday and Today since 9:02 AM not id 9:45 so far no luck. I don't know when they will answer my call.
 29th of Apr, 2008 by   Humphrey Enyioha 0 Votes
I agreed also with the gentle man that throwing your money in the furnace is better than purchasing a home warranty with National Home Protection. I'm adding that they're total rip off, their staff are all lairs, will deny any comment they made to you, will not answer their phone, will add more to your problems and will not put their words in writing. I gave NHP everything they requested from me in writing such as maintence record and home inspection report still they denied my to fix my air conditioner. They sent a technician who told me that the unit needs to be replaced. He told me that NHP is having so many problems with their customers " They don't approve to fix anything'' that I should look for another company that will really be their for me when I need them. Three day later, the same technician called me telling me that NHP needs maintenance record, although that he told NHP that the unit was well maintained. They denied my services before getting the paper work they requested. I requested a denial letter from them and they'll not sent me or give me my refund back. I should've checked the net before entering into two contracts with them. Don't let them rip you off by not doing any business with National Home Protection. Don't be one of their victims.
 2nd of May, 2008 by   Thom Figueroa 0 Votes
A week ago my furnace started making loud noises and I called my home warranty company National Home Protection (NHP) to have someone come out and fix the noise. NHP sent out a Furance Technician who looked at the issue and decided that the bearings were going bad within the Furnace motor/blower and the motor/blower had to be replaced. The technician called NHP and after discussing the issue with NHP came in and said that they would need maintenance records for the furnace before approving the repairs.

I just bought the house 2 months before and have had no maintenance on the house utilities; so, as a substitute they said I should send in the Home Inspection documents to include everything regarding the furnace and the page before and after. I faxed in the documents, called to ensure they recieved them and was told I would hear back in 24-48 hours. After 1 week I called them to find out the status as they did not call me as promised, only to find out that they had denied the claim because 1) there was not proper maintenance records and 2) the furance was not inoperable, they only repair things which are inoperable and not things which are broken, but yet working in a reduced capacity.

This is my second claim with NHP the first took 1 month to fix a water heater which the thermostat was broken after going through about 4 contractors.

This company has terrible service and makes it a practice to make repairs difficult or impossible to discourage payouts. Fortunately spring is here and I don't have to worry about my family freezing from the furnace issues, but will now have to pay $500 out of my own pocket to get the repairs - not to mention the $45 I had to pay for the initial contractor to review the issue.

Please stay away from this company and find a Home Warranty company which is more reputable.
 12th of May, 2008 by   S.Smith 0 Votes
I am currently trying to get my oven fixed. The control panel won't let the oven heat any higher than 200 degrees. The Authorization manager, Michael Moore, will not return any of my repeated attemps to speak with him. I have a feeling this is a phoney name. Like my complaints are sent to a recycle bin. 3 repair companies have come out and they all say the same thing as far as the control panel being needed replaced. Oh, btw, the first call for the repair was 02/09/08. Today is 05/12/08. There has got to be a way all disgruntaled customers and former customers can put together a classaction law suit. Problem is, attorneys are worse than NHS.
 31st of Jul, 2008 by   A. Berry 0 Votes
This is by the far the biggest hassle I have ever had with a company. They sent out a one of their contractors who miss diagnosed my problem and would have charged them $800 dollars over what it actually cost. They did not honor the contract and I have had to fix the issue myself. I am on a well system and had no water coming into my house AT ALL for a week! My fight with them is still continuing.
 7th of Aug, 2008 by   chris 0 Votes
Thanks now i know not to enter a contract with these people you saved me lots of money keep up the good work
 8th of Aug, 2008 by   Jean M. Francis 0 Votes
National Home Protection has failed to respond to my claim #214096 to repair or replace the inoperative heating system component due to normal wear and tear, pursuant to the terms of our home protection agreement, since October 2007. I have been tossed to various representatives who promise to call but they never do. Pursuant to a representative's instructions to me in April, 2008 I mailed a contractor's estimate for the replacement of my heating system component along with proof of maintenance service on my boiler for the last two years. The rep told me that I would then be entitled to up to $1500 toward the work, which was completed on August 6, 2008 by McCormack Heating Contractors in Montclair, NJ. On June 10, 2008 receiving no response yet I contacted National and was told by another rep that another person over Mr. Moore, a Mr. George Stevens was handling my claim and that he had 48 hours to contact me. He never did to this date. My last call to National on June 17, 2008 ended with their reply, "I don't know anything about this". An immediate response is required pursuant to an investiation by the Attorney General of the NJ DIvision of Consumer Affairs.
 14th of Aug, 2008 by   Debbie 0 Votes
This company is an absolute rip off! I manage a four-plex for an owner who bought a contract and National Home Protection has denied every appliance replacement, and they denied replacing an air conditioner. I have a tenant who has not had hot water for a week! The run around I have received is unbelievable. No one will transfer me to a supervisor or even give me a name or phone number. I am going to report this company to the Dept. of Real Estate, The Better Business Bureau, and California's Atty. General.
 21st of Aug, 2008 by   maewe 0 Votes
I too was ripped off by National Home Protection (NHP). Not only did NHP NOT provide the Home Warranty coverage they promised, but I NEVER RECEIVED the $50 Home Depot Gift Card rebate, which was an incentive for purchasing the Home Warranty. I was told that my rebate form was postmarked on April 4, 2008 after the time frame for mailing in the request. However, my rebate form was mailed on February 19, 2008, well within the time frame. My husband is a Postal Service employee and he had the postage stamp on the envelope for my rebate submission, HAND CANCELED. This company is a BIG SCAM.

You can also file complaints with the following:

U. S. Postal Inspection Service www.postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms

Jonathan Mintz, Commissioner, Dept of Consumer Affairs (NY)
www.nyc.gov

New York State Consumer Protection Board
www.nysconsumer.gov

Attorney General Andrew M. Cuomo, State of New York
www.oag.state.ny.us/complaints

Better Business Bureau, New York City
www.newyork.bbb.org

Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) (includes the FBI)
www.complaint.ic3.gov

Public Editor, The New York Times at public@nytimes.com

Public Editor, Wall Street Journal at wsj.ltrs@wsj.com

New York Post at www.nypost.com/postopinion/letters

News 12 at iteam@news12.com

THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO BE STOPPED. Look at all the complaints on www.scam.com, www.complaints.com, www.thesqueakywheel.com, www.my3cents.com and /link removed/

PLEASE HELP TO PUT AN END TO ALL THE RIPOFFS BY NATIONAL HOME PROTECTION. NHP does not respond to any E-mails or phone calls. NHP is despicable! The sooner you file a complaint, the sooner this company can be stopped!
 26th of Aug, 2008 by   Bert L 0 Votes
National Home Protection will make every excuse as to why not to pay for my a/c. Arghhhhh.. a mismatched compressor coil and condensor coil... WTFlip.
 30th of Oct, 2008 by   Christine Thomas 0 Votes
Have been trying to settle a claim for my washer since May, 2008. No one ever returns my calls or my emails or letters. I believe this company is truly just a rip off.
 23rd of Dec, 2008 by   cwr +1 Votes
Merry Christmas, I too have been on the sleigh ride of National Home Protection reindeer crap! My range became defected, paid the $45.00 to the tech, whom was afraid to call me back with their answer. So--I do not need to be redundant, they claim it is not part of their service agreement-(a range that shoots sparks from the top burners, plus a few other defects.) I called them and received the usual run around. I too have not received my Home Depot Gift cards, for a total of $250.00. Also am on the 5 year plan. When getting the run around today, again, I was told I sent in my form to soon. Before it was too late, then some days my gift cards were in the mail. I am angry now and ready to take action, just not venting on the computer. This organization needs to be locked up! I am going to start with my local action line news, we might as well get to see what size rats they are. So-my New Year Resolution is to expose them to the world. Here was the icing on the cake- I was told I could cancel my policy for a fee, of course they did not know what the fee was and what I would receive. I guess they can feel comfortable making offers like this because you will never see any money and now you do not have a contract. Anyone having success with another course of action, please let me know, and I am not taking to the ghost writers for the company that never had a complaint!!!
 17th of Mar, 2009 by   Andrea +1 Votes
"James Monroe" does not work at NHP. This is a made up name for the scum bag guy that works there who always has a new name for himself. It changes quite frequently. I have had the unfortunate experience of having to deal with this company and gotten the runaround from the same two people who call themselves different names every time they transfer me somewhere to leave a message. I wonder if "Abraham Lincoln" or "George Washington" work there too?
 26th of Mar, 2009 by   mmm +1 Votes
we were taken too by NHP, paid for 5 years never got my home depot gift card, we tried to cancel ...guess what ! We contacted our credit card company to despute it to which nhp produced the form for the home depot gift card as a contract, which you had to sign to get the darn gift card, well if you dont get the gift card how can that be a valid contract...
I am going to visit relatives in NJ will pay nhp a visit in new york.
I hear if you take them to Small Claims Court they dont show up, trying that next
 26th of Mar, 2009 by   mmm 0 Votes
Is there anyone else in Florida orlando area that got scamed by NHP?
I can't be the only one?
Please let me know