logo

Usbizdata.com
Worst customer support
3. (38 mins ago)
Mbi - Probiller.com
Charged me monthly for something I don’t know.
4. (1 hr 21 mins ago)
Sleepy's - Kingsdown Mattress
Kingsdown give up making mattresses!
5. (1 hr 22 mins ago)
monthly youth
payout checque

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

National American University, Robbinsdale, Minnesota Complaints & Reviews - Financial Aid

National American University Contacts & Informations

National American University

Posted:    Struggling

Financial Aid

National American University
Robbinsdale, Minnesota
I enrolled at National American University in a 4 year Bachelor Degree program as a Paralegal. My first semester I had no problems at all and enjoyed the classes and teachers. Since then I have had nothing but problems concerning the financial aid department and with trying to disput one of my grades.

I had received a C as my final grade in one of my classes even though I had been carrying a high B throughout the semester. I have requested numerous times for my final paper grade to see my grade with no success. I have asked the instructor and the Academic Dean for the last 5 months again with no response. This grade effects my GPA and my ability to receive certain grant and scholarship opportunities.

The second most important issue is with the financial aid dept. I am disabled I cannot do physical work. That's why I am enrolled in college to change careers. The last two semesters I had to drop a class which lowered my grant funding but I am still considered 3/4 time. I needed the extra funds from dropping the class to live off of. It amounts to about $900.00 each semester. The problem is that the financial aid dept. doesn't adjust my award letters properly nor do they do it in a timely fashion. It seems as if after I had so many problems the first time (they told me my financial aid would not be affected by dropping the class, but it did!) that I complained to the head office, the Board of Higher Education and the Mn.State Deptartment of Education they are now determined to take as long as they can legally to adjust my awards. They still do not reflect adjustments made for my Federal and State grants properly. I am still waiting for my check even though it states in my account the money has been stipend to me and now this semester is almost over. It has taken them 8 weeks to send me my money. Because of this delay I have almost lost all my belongings in storage. I had to pay hundreds of dollars in late fees, am looking at being evicted and losing my mother rings I inherited that are in the pawn shop. When I spoke to the financial aid head adminitrator I was told that I cannot use my grant funds (they apply my loans first instead of grant funding towards credit costs) for living expenses nor should I depend on that. This hardship has been put on me unnecessarily causing me undo stress. It has left me with a bad taste in my mouth concerning this University to the point of quiting even though I like the curriculum. I have also asked about the FSEOG grant and what consitutes need in order to obtain this grant and have been told they do not know about it. Even though they received over $100, 000 dollars last year in funding from the Government in the form of FSEOG grants. They only dispersed $35, 000. On my FAFSA I was eligible for FSEOG.

I would like to add that NAU states it works closely with students to make sure that they receive all financial aid and opportunities available for all their students. What I have experienced is the opposite. I was not informed of the 48 credits each year necessary to finish my 4 year bachelors degree on time. Nor was I given the funding to do so. I had to take out another student loan for my summer semester in the amount of $ 3, 000.

The University hangs onto grant funding gaining interest for their own investments and shows no concern over their students what so ever. I have sent over 10 E-mails to both the financial aid and the academic advisor and program director with no response. I am so angry at the lack of care since I am paying for their product!!! They act as if they are doing me a favor instead of the fact that consumers like me are enriching their business and lining their pockets.

Education should be a positive step for all who seek after it to better their lives and others. Institutions like this ruin people. Instead of focusing on my studies I am depressed and on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Being unable to confront the problem because no matter what authority I have contacted I am told the same thing. If it's not illegal there is nothing we can do.

In closing I would like to say that there is something I plan on doing and that is in the future I am going to make institutions like these liable for deliberately causing undo hardships on students. They will be held accountable, laws will be put in place. I am pissed!!!
Comments United States Colleges and Universities
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

18th of May, 2009 by   Nmcinern 0 Votes
I recently graduated from NAU with my BBA. I had a completely wonderful experience throughout my academic career here. I received the upmost courtesy and timeliness to each and every question or issue I had. I had a very dependable and active advisor and financial aid was always helpful and dilligent to assist me.
 22nd of Nov, 2009 by   Jessalynn 0 Votes
I too am having issues with the financial aid department as well. I'm taking classes online so I'm not sure if that is different or not, but i was recently told that i will be recievin a whole 398$ for the semester, which to me makes ABSOLUTLY no sense! I'm a single mother, working part time going to school full time. When i went to college for hair, i had gotten about 1500$ twice the 12 months that I was enrolled in school. I'm not sure if there is something thats going on with NAU, but i'm starting to believe it is a joke... I'm debating on transfering to another school although I'm unsure how all of that works. If any one knows could u please email me at jessica515@centurytel.net.
Thanks.
 8th of Oct, 2010 by   MikeLanesHusband 0 Votes
NAU financial advisors have lacked in their proffessional responsibility to warn MANY students of situations that will (not could, but will) nip furthering their education in the budd. Many of these situations have cause so much stress that even divorce and suicide contimplation (maybe suicide itself, research is being done) has been an outcome from the the financial sting and embarressment they have caused, where "the waste of time" isn't even near the top of the list.

I am gathering many together for a class action suite, if anyone is interested, please contact me at: michael.kleid@mac.com
 8th of Oct, 2010 by   MikeLK 0 Votes
NAU financial advisers have failed in their professional responsibility to warn MANY students of situations that could nip furthering their education in the bud, and cause obvious hardships. They are aware of their practice of "leaving out vital information during recruitment" that might keep a student from signing up for classes. They have faced these situations too often to know that these situations not only exist, but are too common, yet they continue hiding facts and directing students in a direction leading to that student's educational destruction...I am not being dramatic either...read on.

Many of these situations have been caused to go through so much stress, in which could have been avoided, that even divorce and suicide contemplation (maybe suicide itself, research is being done) has been an outcome from the the financial sting and embarrassment their irresponsible practices have caused.

I am gathering many together for a possible class action lawsuit, if you have been victimized, and are interested, please contact me at: michael.kleid@mac.com
 8th of Oct, 2010 by   anna87062 0 Votes
NAU is a joke. I am upset with them as well. This is my second semester with them and I have not received any calls from advisiors asking if anything can be done to help me (which they swear they will do when you enroll). I have even received the incorrect books because I was not told by advisior or email notificattions that I HAVE to purchase books online rather than at the campus. I finally called and left a message to call me back or I would quit. Of course I did get a call back after a day and a half went by. I am angry that we put out so much money to try to accelerate our educations only to find out that these people who claim to care dont. I will be transfering at the end of this term with a $6000.00 student loan! I am only part time! Thats a shame in it self. I am angry with the school but also with myself for letting them talk to me to this mess.
 8th of Oct, 2010 by   MikeLK 0 Votes
Be part of the lawsuit i am starting, whoever would like to be involved, e-mail me at:

michael.kleid@mac.com

The wheels are turning, the wheels of justice, and when the media picks this up, well, even though they pay for commercial airtime, i am sure they still will be hit hard in the pockets by the media, i would hope so.

-Mike
 8th of Oct, 2010 by   MikeLK 0 Votes
I just would like to say that I have only received letters of intrest from several people so far, but it has only been 1/2 a day since my post.
One person showing interest in complaining claims to be an ex-professor in which that validity of his past position with NAU will be validated, but what a great help he would be if he comes through.
Please keep your hopes up, I feel for all who contacted me. I am 6'2, 240 pounds of man, but the last story I heard almost had me in tears, please be strong people...there is hope.
I can't believe nobody had done this in the past for all of the complaints I have read so far but one are "pre" my 1st announcement.
I have already taken digital photographs of my MAC's computer screen, of these complaints, in case for some reasons these sites are disbanned.
Please, keep the e-mails coming in, but more importantly, don't let your situations get the best of you, please contact family and/or friends for moral support.
My contact e-mail address is: michael.kleid@mac.com
 8th of Oct, 2010 by   MikeLK 0 Votes
Sorry about the duplicate post. It was not intended as spam. I had password issue and accidentally posted twice. I truly apologize if this has upset anyone, was accidental without intention.
 15th of Oct, 2010 by   My Sept Fire 0 Votes
You should all note Congressional hearings are taking place now and NAU has had investigators at their corportae offices. Justice will be served as Karma dictates.
 9th of Nov, 2010 by   MikeLK 0 Votes
AS YOU KNOW FROM DIFFERENT FORUMS WE ARE PLANNING A RALLY, ON THE STATE CAPITAL STAIRS, AND FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL YEARS I AM PLANNING TO HIT PRACTICALY EVERY DTUDENT THEY HAVE W/ PROTESTERS, FLIERS, COPIES OF E-MAILS INCLUDING "SUICIDE" AS AN OPTION FOR STUDENTS THAT HAVE BEEN LIED AND DECEIVED BY THE REPRESENTITIVES OF THEIR INSTITUTIONS. DID U KNOW (I BELIEVE) THEY BROKE FEDERAL AND STATE LAWS BY REPEATING DECEIPTFUL BUSINESS PRACTICES AFTER BEING CONFRONTED BY THE MANY STUDENTS WHO HAVE BEEN VICITIMIZED, AND IMAGINE HOW MANY WERE QUIET ABOUT IT, TILL NOW...JOIN US, OVER 150 E-MAILS I HAVE RECEIVED IN THE PAST MONTH ALONE.
WE CAN ACTUALLY (DONT LAUGH, THIS IS TRUE), BRING THIS SCHOOL DOWN!!! AND I PLAN ON IT.

I AM DISABLED AND WAS BUSY WITH THERAPY, DOC'S..ETC..SO A STATE CAPITAL RALLY WAS CANCELED JUST B 4 THE FINAL FAX WAS SENT IN TO RESERVE THE DATE, ..BUT A NEW ONE IS COMING ALONG WITH LEGAL ACTIONS, AND THE POSSIBILITY OF RETRIBUTUIN TO THE VICTIMS OF THEIR DECEIPTFUL ACTIONS, EITHER THRU A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT WHICH I HAD TO RESCHEDULE MY 1ST MEETING, OR INDIVIDUAL LAWSUITS, FOR JUST 1 SUCCESSFUL LAWSUIT CAN SET PRECEDENT FOR OTHERS. THERE'S EVEN FACULTY THAT MIGHT COMMENSE WITH THIS.
I WAS ALREADY CONTACTED BY THE CITY PAGES AND A MAN FROM THE "AP"..ALL WHO HAVE HEARD THESE STORIES OF NAU BEFORE!!!
PLEASE E-MAIL ME YOUR HORROR STORIES:
Michael.Kleid@MAC.com
 21st of Jan, 2011 by   MikeLK 0 Votes
A QUESTION TO NMCINERN:
IF YOU HAD A WONDEFUL BLOSSOMING EXPERIENCE WITH NAU, ONE THAT SEEMS LIKE YOU WERE SAVED BY THEM:
Then why would you, a person such as yourself decide to browse the complaints board(s)?
ARE YOU FRIENDS with someone who told you about the complaints board, such as executives of the school, or are you one of those executives such as Christie Towne (excuse my spelling) who goes to school there, PLUS is also a VP of the school? It doesn't make sense...but then again, the truth always prevails.
It really amazes me, for if i loved a place, the last thing i would do is search for complaint boards randomly to fill the hours of my day, specially not knowing there was one, for if i was doing well, i would think others are...and if it's because you heard "others" were complaining, then why would you stick up for a school that is "screwing" others over? Self absorbed?
Nah, fact is, I am going to see if there is a way to find out who you are and I bet you have a connection with the school.
I received almost 4 figures in e-mails for supporters AGAINST this schools deceitful practices...several ready to take their own lives because of the problems this school caused their lives...
Still feel good about your suspicious comments??? Get real.
 21st of Jan, 2011 by   MikeLK +1 Votes
I like Cookies 2: Same goes to you.
 21st of Jan, 2011 by   MikeLK 0 Votes
I see several (quite a few) complaints were removed from the site? Wonder why, for they were hateful, i mean hateful against NAU...Cleaning up a bit?
Wont work...LAWS "WERE" BROKEN, I HAVE THE STATUTES, I BELIEVE FEDERAL AND I AM POSITIVE UNLAWFUL BY STATE...COME ON NAU, IF I AM LYING, THIS IS DEFAMATION, AND YOU CAN SUE ME!!!
TRY!!!
PLEASE!!!
SAVE FACE!!!
I BET THE LAST THING YOU EVER WANT TO DO IS GO TO ANY COURT ROOM, THAT'S WHY.
THINGS R MOVING SLOW BECAUSE THEY ARE BEING DONE RIGHT, COLLECTING E-MAILS, PAPER WORK AND CONTRACTS, "POSSIBLY HIDDEN MICROPHONES ON PRETEND TO JOIN STUDENTS"...
YOU ARE SO FAR DONE SCREWING PEOPLE, I'M LOOKING AT THE WALL EVERY DAY, AND WHEN IT TURNS BROWN, I WILL BE SOOOOO HAPPY, CAUSE THAT MEANS THE SH-T HIT THE FAN, AND IT'S ALL BEGINNING!!! (YOUR END).
 30th of Jan, 2011 by   CarrieS 0 Votes
I was very disappointed with my experience with this school. I graduated August 22, 2010 and still have not received my diploma. I have been fighting back and forth with them on when I am going to receive my diploma and keep on getting lie after lie. I have even talked to a financial aide rep in South Dakota about this issue and still have not gotten anywhere. I am now to the point of getting a lawyer about this issue. I would not reccommend this school to anyone! I am not really depending on my financial aide because I also work full time, but I am depending very much on my diploma so I can better myself for my two little girls. I just wish I would have known all this before I started this school because I probably would have never gone to this school!!!
 10th of Sep, 2011 by   dg in kc 0 Votes
I graduated in May this year from NAU in Overland Park Kansas. This "school" is such a joke. I am sure that one person up there is somebody worried about the lining of their pockets. I went round and round with these people over so many different things I don't think I can fit them all here. I STILL am not working. The Paralegal field is so over saturated with people trying to find work it is a joke! Attorneys are working as assistants because the field just can't take anymore new grads! NOBODY will hire me and they did not help me to find work like they said they would. My so called "internship" was a joke. I had one set up for a year, but when the new director took over, he screwed that up somehow and I ended up just doing it from home. He didn't even make me do all of the required hours even though he put down that I did. It told them in an email that they were a damn joke. I copied and pasted parts of their website where they talk their crap about how they stick by you and help you find work BEFORE you graduate. What a crock. I have so many stories/complaints about that dump there is no way to put it all here. I would love to sue them and make them pay back what they stole from me. I didn't even learn enough to know what to do if I was lucky enough to get a job, which will never happen. I complained about my legal research instructor and nothing was ever done. I didn't learn squat in that class and that is THE major core class of the whole program! She was always worried about what her bratty kids were doing. If anybody is suing them, please let me know and I will glady join in! I would like for them to pay back a big portion of the whopping 40 thousand dollars that I owe in loans.
 22nd of Oct, 2011 by   dumfounded2011 +1 Votes
Yes I agree nau is a rip off, even the finacial aid.I am attending there now my second semester last time I went there I received my stipend of $125 1 week before term ended this year I expect It to be less and worst people are talking around the campus can't figure out why it takes so long for an award letter! Mn campus
 22nd of Oct, 2011 by   MikeLK 0 Votes
People, i had an attorney all set up a year ago...everyone wants to complain but had me doing all the work so i stopped and just was going to do my own thing, but a surgery left me short of spreading out my time. I am not great but ready to roll. I saved MANY (i iish all) e-mails explaining how they were lied to by the NAU financial dept...and other complaints, funny thing is all complaints i received were shared by others, specially lied from NAU's financial aid dept, or should we call them salesman (I believe they receive commission off of you)...
OK, who knows a good attorney specializing in class action suits? Suicide was one alternative from two different students i chatted with (they r both ok now).

This school hits u all hard...hit back.

Many dont check this site anymore, but i saved their contact info...you supply the attorney and i will supply some offensive e-mails (against NAU staff) and their authors to the attorny's...there was even a teacher who had complained regarding students and how they r treated.

Lets see if this site is constructive or just a place to vent.
 22nd of Oct, 2011 by   MikeLK 0 Votes
wow, quite a few complaints i c were removed from this site, i see spaces wheree it seems many bad "letters" were posted here but now gone...i saved these peoples e-mails though that they sent me...but it makes me look as if i just copmplained and complained, with no complaints between...hmmmm...either way, i saved tons of e-mails that will never be erased.
 7th of Aug, 2012 by   Victoria 77 0 Votes
Mesquite Texas Campus. This school isally a big mess. The advisors look a street gang. I could not believe they were trying to mentor me. They really needed my help. This one big girl with a long wig on tried to lie to me over and over. Sh could not speak well at all. She kept saying "know what Im sayin" She was in the dress code of a low end call girl. Just nasty and foaming at the mouth. The dean was always unavailable.
 15th of Aug, 2012 by   K.Ba 0 Votes
I agree about the Mesquite Texas Campus. They lied to me and seemed like they are on a mission to enroll students at any cost. If you have a good school you do not have to force students to enroll. They bug you daily with 10 or more phone calls. This girl was calling me all day. She kept pushing so much. It turned me off. She kept talking about herself and had 2 kids and got her bachelor degree and moved from Atlanta. Who cares. This is about the STUDENTS. What a crazy stupid person. I do not believe she even went to school. What a sorry school.

What Mom Can Teach You About Money